Cornwall Football Forum

Exeter Under 16's 3 Cornwall Schoolboys 1

This was a very good work out for the Duchy schoolboys one of two trial games this week, the other being against Plymouth at Mount Wise Newquay on Wednesday 26 August 2009. Exeter started brighter and were more comfortable on the ball in the early stages and went a goal up after 10 minutes despite a good attempt by our keeper to keep the ball out. Cornwall slowly came more into the game and two good opportunities arose first to Rob Wearne and then to Isaac Vassell but unfortunately their first touch prevented them getting a shot in when the goal was beckoning. Lewis Hilton had a long range effor that went over the bar and then when well placed just inside the opponents area hit a right foot shot straight at the keeper. A flowing move from Cornwall ended with Jared Sims setting up Jordan Copp on his weaker right foot but again he shot tamely at the keeper. In the dying moments of the first half Cornwall conceeded a soft penalty when the Duchy defender was adjudged to have pushed an Exeter forward. The resultant penalty was despatched. Cornwall pressed for most of the second half and created the better scoring chances. Exeter's players remained comfortable on the ball at the back but threatened on counter attack situations but the defence was well marshalled by skipper Jack Stevens. Vassell fashioned a chance for himself but a last ditch tackle saw a corner and not a goal. Sims also made room for himself but his left foot shot was well saved by the keeper. Hilton had another left foot shot that went just over. Kyle Werth came on at half time and his pace up front caused some problems. With 10 minutes remaining Werth escaped down the right and his perfectly weighted cross was met by Vassell and a goal looked certain but somehow the Exeter keeper scrambled the ball away for a corner. At the death Exeter broke away and scored again to give them a rather flattering win.

Yes Lewis is my son. Hope I wasn't too biased about him in my report, although I suspect I was. A good opportunity to see the Cornish youngsters tomorrow evening. There should be at least 5 boys who are involved with our Newquay under 16 team in the squad for the game aginst Plymouth Argyle for which possibly 4 of the players who played for the County yesterday will now become part of the opposition.

Jmbo, Who scored for Cornwall?

Final squad hasn't been decided yet. The two trial games should result in a final squad being picked by Alan and Glynn. I know most of the boys from the east involved and some from the west. This is the best I can do for now but will get the full list at 2 moros game. Sorry if I miss anyone!!

Lewis Hilton, Jack Thompson, Connor Jamieson, Alex Bicknell, Isaac Vassell, Olly Morrison, Ben Currah (possibly) Jack Stephens, Jordan Copp, Jordan Taylor (possibly!!) Dave Brown, Sam Bescemi, Jared Sims, Aiden ? (penryn) Kyle Werth, Rob Wearne, Harry Rimmer (keeper?) Kieran ? (cenrte mid) Nick ? (possibly), ? a left sided blonde lad looks like kemp? another keeper? and some others.

Will update soon when i find out the others on wed.