Cornwall Football Forum

Combo Results Thread

Can you post your results, goal scorers and attendances on this thread for today's games please

Thanks

Cornwall Combination League

Saturday 22nd August 3pm

Hayle Reserves (Rob Johns 2, Rob Troon, Jodie Hampton, Carl Shorthouse)5-2 Wendron CC United Reserves (Fred Williams, Charli Young)

Att - 25

Illogan RBL (Andy Cowper, Paul Wolstencroft, Gary Storby, Phil Willey) 4-0 Ludgvan

Att - 90

Mullion (Garath Mason) 1-6 St Day (Dominic Pullen 2, Stuart Reynolds 2, Steve Capling, Adam Nuciforo)

Att - 35

Penryn Athletic Reserves (Andy Trathen, Adam Pryor, Ollie Moody) 3-0 Holman SC

Att - 45

Porthleven Reserves (Keith Jacka, Kyle Harvey) 2-1 St Ives Town (Ross Duncan)

Att - 33

Portreath (Ryan Baber) 1-2 Falmouth Town Reserves (Matt McIlroy, Paul Murray)

Att - 30

St Agnes 0-4 Helston Athletic (Neil Southall 2, Reg Pearson, Aaron Collick)

Att - 55

St Just (Darren Steadman 2, Stuart Nicholls, Gary Matthews, Adam Palmer) 5-3 Newquay Reserves (Sean Barker, Luke Weldon, Matt Davis)

Att - ???

Troon (Shane Richards) 1-1 Perranwell (Tom Hardwick)

Att - 65

Portreath 1 Falmouth Town 2

very hard fought game, having to make a few changes to the team with some players unavailable, we started well and an early effort by Luke Murray was blocked and followed up by Matt McIlroy to rifle into the net to put us 1 nil up

from then on we created a few good chances with the Portreath goalkeeper making 2 magnificent saves and some dogged defending helping to keep the score from increasing, however credit to Portreath, what they may lack in football ability at the minute is more than matched by there fighting spirit and work rate all over the pitch!

they got there rewards on the break when a long ball wasnt dealt with by our defence and Portreaths striker slotted his finish into the corner to make it 1 all at half time

second half and again Portreaths effot and determination wasnt really being matched by us, making life very difficult for ourselves! however we created chance after chance come the end, hitting the post 3 or 4 times during the game, the keeper making more good saves and some blocks on the line protecting the Portreath goal, however Portreath again caught us on the break though and rattled our crossbar with a crackin long range shot.

late substitutions saw manager Paul Murray come on, it was Paul who in the end controlled a ball late on and turned to finish into the corner of the net to give us the 2-1 win!

overall with all the chances we had on goal we should have wrapped the game up comfortably, however come the end of the game, we have to hold our hands up and say Portreaths work rate and commitment was better than ours and they really made it tough, we could learn some lessons from that! Portreath will be a tough team to beat at home this season with there commitment i feel, full credit to them!

thanks also all at Portreath for there hospitality after at the Green Room, sorry the rest of the Falmouth lads had to get back so couldnt stop for a drink due to work commitments etc, although it meant Scoffy and me could gladly enjoy the jug of beer that u guys provided with the rest of the team missing lol!! crackin bunch of lads and good luck to you against Newquay in your next game guys, glad to see Portreath remaining in the league, great effort lads

Porthleven Reserves 2 St Ives 1

HT 0-0

Not a great game in all honesty - on the day neither team were at their best.

A poor first half, Port were getting behind many times, but lacked any quality in the final shot, so the St Ives keeper was never tested. Keith Jacka on the right wing, was providing some great quality though.

St Ives too did not offer a lot, with their lone striker (Alfie ???) quite often without support. The did muster one chance a free kick from outside the box that hit the bar with some power.

Second half was again fairly even, the first goal, was a good one, a ball from the back from Harry Spraggett found Neil Bartlett, who switched the ball for Keith Jacka to cut inside 2 players and score with the outside of his right foot from 12 yards. Port from here, kept St Ives in bay, until their first chance of the second half was scored when a cross from the right was cut back and finished in the bottom corner. This produced a good reaction from the side, and we got our reward, when Kyle Harvey following a cleared corner, crossed from the left, which cleared the keeper high into the centre of the net. The game fizzled out, with Gary Richards almost adding a third and a late rally from St Ives.

Well referreed by Ben Lugg.

My Port man of the match: Keith Jacka

On reflection, St Ives a very young side, who will concede goals but certainly will try and play football. 2 wins in 2 for Port, not the best performance, but 3 points.

Att: 33

Not too sure about today's game as a spectacle, i would imagine if you were a spectator it would have not looked great on the eye.

Thanks too Perranwell for bringing some vocal support and good luck for the forthcoming season, there are no doubts that you will be challenging for the title.

As stated Troon 1 Perranwell 1 (HT 1-0) ATT 65 ish

Guest holmans10

Encouraging result for us today with the team only containing 1 player from last years squad.

Its going to be a really tough season but morale is good and total respect to the loyal players who have stayed and are trying to see out these tough times!!!!!!!!!!!!! :glare: :glare:

Far better performance from St Day today against a very young and very spirited Mullion side whom have had to start from scratch after last seasons comings and goings. credit to them they never gave up and as a manager I appreciate the hard work they put in today. We actually got the ball in the right areas today and it showed what happens. The game pittered out come the end as games somtimes do but good luck to mullion for the season..... :drink:

Encouraging result for us today with the team only containing 1 player from last years squad.

Its going to be a really tough season but morale is good and total respect to the loyal players who have stayed and are trying to see out these tough times!!!!!!!!!!!!! :glare::glare:

Attendance penryn v Holman afc 45

Good to see you playing today Scott at combo level and without doubt our best player........see told you that you could do it!!!!!!! Now all we need is to put the hard work into a result :)

St Just 5 - 3 Newquay

Newquay have enjoyed a string of victories against St Just over recent years, however, this record came to a halt when Newquay left Lafrowda park with nothing after a spirited St Just display. With Neil Curnow missing, St Just fielded a strong side and Newquay were confident that they could continue their trend of picking up points against St Just.

The opening encounters were fairly even and Newquay were unable to capitalise on the half-chances that they created, failing to trouble Curnow in the St Just goal who was returning after a nasty injury on the opening day of the season. The game sparked into life when the referee adjudged that Newquay centre-back Alan Yendell had committed a foul in the box, despite the fact that there appeared to be contact made with the ball. St Just striker Darren Steadman stepped up and duly obliged with the spot kick. It wasn't long before the equaliser materialised, via another questionable penalty decision for handball after Sean Barker had driven a cross into the box. Matty Davis stepped up and despatched a fine spot-kick to level things up. It appeared a very open game and St Just should have been ahead when a flowing move along the right flank resulted in a pass across the face of goal that Steadman inexplicably failed to convert from eight yards, although this proved to be an indicator to what was to follow when another move down the right resulted in a low cross and despite claims that centre-back Andy Morris had been fouled in the buiild-up, St Just were able to regain the advantage with a low drive from ten yards. Immediately from kick off St Just were caught out and the referee played an excellent advantage after Shaun Lawrence had been fouled releasing a through ball - Sean Barker bravely challenged Curnow in the St Just goal and profited as Curnow's air shot left him with the simple task of rolling the ball home from ten yards. Newquay appeared to be in the acendancy as they sought to take advantage of the strong end-to-end wind and Luke Weldhen obliged with the goal of the game, collecting the ball out wide, volleying home with a curling, dipping left foot volley from the corner of the box.

Despite the half-time advantage, Newquay found the conditions tough in the second half and St Just were guilty of squandering a range of chances in the opening fifteen minuites, including a volley from Steadman with the goal at his mercy, the ball rebounded from the inside of the post and to safety. St Just were then handed another opportunity as the referee adjudged Andy Morris to have handled in the box after a shot at goal appeared to strike him on the arm from close range - Steadman stepped up again only to be thwarted by an outstanding low stop from Billy Holland to his left. As Newquay attempted to find a little breathing space the one goal advantage didn't appear to be enough and St Just managed to squeeze home an equaliser after a couple of corners had led to pressue on the Newquay goal.

St Just finally regained their lead with a quarter of an hour remaining when Curnow's long kick was adjudged to have hit Yendell on the arm. If there was any doubt about the decision, there was no doubt about the finish as Steadman curled home the free kick from 20 yards. Newquay needed to bounce back quickly and thought they had equalised late on what Shaun Lawrence's free-kick found Sean Barker who headed into the path of Matt Willmott, who slotted the ball past the defenders on the goal-line, only to find that the flag had been raised for offside. As the end of the game neared, Newquay were caught pressing forward and their offside line was breached, resulting in calm low finish to make the result 5-3.

Best wishes to St Just flagman Rodney Beer, who was making his final appearance before moving away.

Attendance - approximately 25?

Its going to be a really tough season but morale is good and total respect to the loyal players who have stayed and are trying to see out these tough times!!!!!!!!!!!!! :glare::glare:

Their is no loyalty in football why should there be players should play where there happy, if a club is right from above u work ur way down and filter through the teams or team whichever the case. Holmans need a complete overhall LITERALLY, football first ,not at holmans :drink::drink::drink::drink: As for ur total respect for the loyal players scott ,i think u will find certain players that left this year had been associated with the club for 10 years or more and thats more than one, i grant u some come and go as quick but the main reason people left is because the club is not in the hands from a football perspective of anyone who truly wants it (neil pitt aside without him there wouldnt probably be a team let alone teams) i did not want to leave last season but could not continue to try to find 5,6,7,players every week because someone else couldnt be assed, this thread comes across as a moan and a dig but just telling it like it is. Players will return i know of at least 4 that next season will want too, perhaps it will turn around then or the season after but for now mr robinson i would put all ur time and effort in to helping the club u are loyal too. :D

Dave play nice!!!

Scott is not commenting about players that have left but the ones who are playing at the current moment in time. You have assembled a side that will do well in Mining 2 and we wish you all the best.

Whatever disagreements you had with the club were mainly with a person who is no longer there. Our structure is completly different from your time there now and a lot of positive things are in place which now include an excellent relationship with our youth section and a lot of other initiatives that required addressing during the close season.

It is frustrating that results will be difficult to come by all season however contrary to popular belief players do wish to play at Blaythorne and signings have and will continue to be made.

I would hope it's the end of this subject now as it's old news and people including myself are pretty bored of it!!!!

Personally i'm looking forward to our midweek game battling the holiday traffic to get to St Just for a 6:30 kick off....really need to buy John a map to show him where all the clubs are located!!!!...fab :D

Dave play nice!!!

Scott is not commenting about players that have left but the ones who are playing at the current moment in time. You have assembled a side that will do well in Mining 2 and we wish you all the best.

Whatever disagreements you had with the club were mainly with a person who is no longer there. Our structure is completly different from your time there now and a lot of positive things are in place which now include an excellent relationship with our youth section and a lot of other initiatives that required addressing during the close season.

It is frustrating that results will be difficult to come by all season however contrary to popular belief players do wish to play at Blaythorne and signings have and will continue to be made.

I would hope it's the end of this subject now as it's old news and people including myself are pretty bored of it!!!!

Personally i'm looking forward to our midweek game battling the holiday traffic to get to St Just for a 6:30 kick off....really need to buy John a map to show him where all the clubs are located!!!!...fab :D

Well St Just is not an easy one to find!! many a time i took the wrong road! :c:

Well St Just is not an easy one to find!! many a time i took the wrong road!

Everybody knows that you turn left at the blue door to find Lafrowda Park!

(You'll notice it because it is on the first floor of the property and if you walked out of it you'd fall about ten feet!) :D

Is that where Mr Beer was born and when he started to crawl........ :thumbsup:

And i'd expect a comment as he has been a little quiet lately !as it may be with his relocation !

Guest holmans10

Hello david, nice to see you haven't changed!!!! :P:P:P:P

I agree with one thing you've stated and thats about pitty hes doing a grand job on and off the pitch :drink::drink::drink::drink: .

Good luck to the ex-holmans boys at titans you have some very good players down there and should win the league.

p.s who are the players who have been associated with holmans for 10 years, i can only think of Graham Jewell(legend)

:thumbsup:

Portreath 1 Falmouth Town 2

very hard fought game, having to make a few changes to the team with some players unavailable, we started well and an early effort by Luke Murray was blocked and followed up by Matt McIlroy to rifle into the net to put us 1 nil up

from then on we created a few good chances with the Portreath goalkeeper making 2 magnificent saves and some dogged defending helping to keep the score from increasing, however credit to Portreath, what they may lack in football ability at the minute is more than matched by there fighting spirit and work rate all over the pitch!

they got there rewards on the break when a long ball wasnt dealt with by our defence and Portreaths striker slotted his finish into the corner to make it 1 all at half time

second half and again Portreaths effot and determination wasnt really being matched by us, making life very difficult for ourselves! however we created chance after chance come the end, hitting the post 3 or 4 times during the game, the keeper making more good saves and some blocks on the line protecting the Portreath goal, however Portreath again caught us on the break though and rattled our crossbar with a crackin long range shot.

late substitutions saw manager Paul Murray come on, it was Paul who in the end controlled a ball late on and turned to finish into the corner of the net to give us the 2-1 win!

overall with all the chances we had on goal we should have wrapped the game up comfortably, however come the end of the game, we have to hold our hands up and say Portreaths work rate and commitment was better than ours and they really made it tough, we could learn some lessons from that! Portreath will be a tough team to beat at home this season with there commitment i feel, full credit to them!

thanks also all at Portreath for there hospitality after at the Green Room, sorry the rest of the Falmouth lads had to get back so couldnt stop for a drink due to work commitments etc, although it meant Scoffy and me could gladly enjoy the jug of beer that u guys provided with the rest of the team missing lol!! crackin bunch of lads and good luck to you against Newquay in your next game guys, glad to see Portreath remaining in the league, great effort lads

You're right. 80% of our squad at the moment are from the mining 2 side last year which came right down in the bottom 1/4 of the table. We've only got 1 player that has stayed from last years combo team, myself. I only got 15mins as Im just getting myself better from the damned swine flu! Nasty stuff!

But these guys that are turning up to help Portreath, and that have saved Portreath from folding are a credit to themselves! Im off next week so I wont be able to play for them no more, but they're a good bunch of lads who, as youve said, Work very hard and show that they really do want to play for Port.

In all honesty, you should have wrapped that game up on Saturday, but the lads worked hard and made it very difficult!

You guys were a good bunch of lads, no hassle or attitudes and just wanted to play football so well done!

Good luck for the season Matey!