Cornwall Football Forum

Touchy subject.....I don't play now of course, but as an example, I've never taken my wedding ring off since the day I got married and I imagine there are many players who are exactly the same.

Not saying that players won't play, but I think that the FA not allowing players to tape up their wedding rings is taking things a little to far.

Piercings, chains and other rings I can understand, but wedding rings is a different matter.

I do understand what you are saying but please read the FA directive it is on the CCFA web site plus if you look on the CWSPL web site Ray Lloyd has placed a posting on this issue. As to players on the tele it is now very rare to see nowadays except for David Beckham coming off the field at LA Galaxy with a leather wrist strap that he had worn, so they do not set a good example at the higher levels. As for using common sense it is a directive which means that it must be followed regardless of level.

Good shout!

Plus the main reason lots of refs will stick by it is the chance that they may be assessed and pulled up on it. if an assessor cannot see from the sidelines then that should suffice.

I am by no means suggesting anyone break any rules for the record!

Guest Postie Pidge

I agree with Patriot but I know a player who wears gloves all year round (not a keeper) just so he doesn't have to take his ring off

HAD A RECENT PRE-SEASON FRIENDLY WHERE I HAD HALF THE TEAM GOING NUTS OVER A JEWELLERY ITEM THAT I ASKED THEY REMOVE.

WHY IS THIS SUCH AN ARGUMENTATIVE SUBJECT ? TAKE IT OFF; SIMPLE!

THEM'S THE RULES AND WE HAVE TO ABIDE BY IT; THE END.

I'M OFF NOW FOR A SMOKE IN THE PUB !!

OH, WHAT ABOUT THOSE HAIRBANDS ; IS THAT JEWELLERY ?

WILL REFS TAKE JEWELLRY OFF? SEEN REF'S WITH NUMBEROUS EARINGS TAPED UP.. AND NO I DONT MEAN ANITA.

I don't wear earings :P

I'm going to get in trouble now, but personally i see nothing wrong if a player does tape up a plan ring, and those rubber bands around wrists, i don't make players take them off, i know their ment too and i know i'm ment to inforce the law but with so many players on tv with them on and earings (not covered) it seems a little unfair. I'm gonna go hide now :ninja:

WILL REFS TAKE JEWELLRY OFF? SEEN REF'S WITH NUMBEROUS EARINGS TAPED UP.. AND NO I DONT MEAN ANITA.

I don't wear earings :P

I'm going to get in trouble now, but personally i see nothing wrong if a player does tape up a plan ring, and those rubber bands around wrists, i don't make players take them off, i know their ment too and i know i'm ment to inforce the law but with so many players on tv with them on and earings (not covered) it seems a little unfair. I'm gonna go hide now :ninja:

And I thought you were a law abiding do it by the book kind of a person

IM shocked now

Interesting tongue in cheek remarks from B Manning (a ref!) also on the CSWPL site a comment accredited to Adam Hopkins DCFA Ref Dev Officer stating that ref's must remove all jewellery too, except watches!!!

As it's about Health and Safety (allegedly) how is a watch on the ref's arm more safe than a flipping ring on his finger?

Just proves it's all just silliness that can't be justified unless it's done properly.

I do think that players wearing those silly rubber bands on their wrists should be told to remove them though, I bet an opposition finger caught up in that in a tussle could prove quite sore.

With all these rules, the volunteers and hobby players in all our leagues will be anti anything they see players constantly getting away with on telly.

I just want to see ref's punishing dangerous/cynical tackles/on purpose fouls/on purpose handballs when a player is in a defensive wall on the edge of his box (arms above his head) and getting on with the game and stop worrying about other stuff that really doesn't matter! :blink:

Television has been mentioned, I am sure others like me wonder why the simplest of clashes in many TV games result in players pouring with blood, Could it be the result of excessive jewellery, taped or not?

The male species is getting more feminine as each season comes along and some say football's a mans game.

Once when interviewing someone for a job he had a stud in his nose, I had already decided to give him the job, I said "one last question", he said "what's that?" I replied "If you take that bolt out, will your nose drop off" he thought it was part of the interview, I smiled and said "You'll get used to it, the jobs yours".

On a more serious note I have known people in factories where I worked lose fingers when rings being worn were caught up in machinery against company policy.

Guest The Judge aka RED OR DEAD

Yesterday at Hayle, Newquays Paul Robertson had come on as a sub but then some minutes later, the ref ordered him off after noticing his shiny new wedding ring and a frienship band on his wrist, which had to be ripped off.

If I tried to take my ring off, it may involve the fire brigade as the ring was purchased when I was somewhat slimmer. Unless rings are the size of knuckledusters, then a small flat ring should be allowed. Earrings and other metal objects should be removed.

Yesterday at Hayle, Newquays Paul Robertson had come on as a sub but then some minutes later, the ref ordered him off after noticing his shiny new wedding ring and a frienship band on his wrist, which had to be ripped off.

If I tried to take my ring off, it may involve the fire brigade as the ring was purchased when I was somewhat slimmer. Unless rings are the size of knuckledusters, then a small flat ring should be allowed. Earrings and other metal objects should be removed.

Maybe if your over inflated ego was a little less you might get it off. :P:D

Seriously though, all players know the laws of the game, so if they want to play take off the jewellry, and this should also apply to hairgrips in the womens game.

I wonder if it also applies to the whistle on a lanyard around my wrist plus a pencil in the top of each sock, also you are allowed to wear glasses if needed. :) Also what about assistants who also carry watches, pencils etc and a flag on a metal or wooden stick.

Ever considered what's gonna happen if you trip over?One of those pencils is possibly gonna bury itself in your leg.

True whistleblower, but I take the leg as the least one to worry me ie top pocket ( chest) back pocket (backside) and I wont even think of being stabbed from one of my front pockets, but the Laws do state that a refree should carry with him a way of recording the game, goals /cautions etc. So yes I was being flippant and I have no problem with a flat wedding ring being taped up it`s all the other bits that players adourn themselves with that has caused the problem.

• 2 weeks later...

That's always been the case hasn't it.

A few years ago when all the associations had a moan up about this, the world cup was on and some of the African nations teams' players were on the pitch with enough jewellery etc to make Mr.T look pretty inadequate.

We played a county match away a couple of seasons ago and the officials almost body searched the players.

Personally, I can't see a problem with a taped up wedding ring, that's a lot less dangerous than a wrist band that someone's finger can get caught in.