Cornwall Football Forum

Cornish clubs in the FA Cup

Has any Cornish club appeared in the FA Challenge Cup before the 2nd W. War?

My listings show-First appearance and number of competing seasons and ties played.

1947-St.Austell 16 Challenges of the FA Cup -Played 25 games(Lost 16)

1949-Truro City 21-Played 38(Lost 21)

1950-Callington 1-played 1 (lost1)

1950-Newquay 22-Played 42(Lost 22)

1950-St.Blazey 57-Played 117(Lost 57)

1950-Wadebridge Town 32-Played 58(Lost 32)

1952-Penzance 27-Played 49(Lost 27)

1954-Bodmin Town 8-Played 18(Lost 8)

1962-Falmouth Town 43-Played 114(Lost 43)

1968- Nanpean Rovers 2-played 6 (lost2)

1970-Saltash United 24-Played 59(Lost 24)

1978-Liskeard Athletic 13-Played 35(Lost 13)

2002-Porthleven 5-Played 6(Lost 5)

2006-Penryn Athletic 1-Played 1(Lost1)

2008 Launceston 1-Played 2(lost 1)

Reading the Torpoint early history there is mention of them appearing in the English cup which I assume to be the FA Amateur Cup

Nice one 'Pidge' and rightly so for Cornwall's most illustrious F.A cup campaigners.

I did notice on the SWPL website fixture list that league fixtures for Saturday August 15th for Falmouth and St. Blazey were withdrawn and I had an inkling something was 'in the air'

I bet Paul and Dan Blazey will be ecstatic to hear this breaking news

I understand the early rounds of the FA Cup and Vase will be declared from Soho Square on Wednesday 1st.July

Bodmin Town were guaranteed by finishing in the SWPL top four

Saltash United and Launceston for finishing between 5th.and 10th. (but there was no guarantee)

Falmouth Town and St. Blazey unexpectedly accepted (as they finished below 10th.Position)

For some reason Wadebridge Town and Liskeard Athletic did not apply.

Other SWPL clubs from Devon who have been accepted Buckland Athletic,Tavistock and Cullompton Rangers

A few of us at St Blazey have known about this for a while too, but were also advised to keep it quiet!

A great day for Cornish football - let's hope that all clubs involved can put together decent runs.

Anybody know what the "qualifying criteria" will be for 2010/2011 competition? Surely the FA should announce this before the season to avoid another embarassing u-turn.

WE'RE ON OUR WAY TO WEMBLEY - FA Cup and Vase double this season I reckon ha!

A few of us at St Blazey have known about this for a while too, but were also advised to keep it quiet!

A great day for Cornish football - let's hope that all clubs involved can put together decent runs.

Anybody know what the "qualifying criteria" will be for 2010/2011 competition? Surely the FA should announce this before the season to avoid another embarassing u-turn.

WE'RE ON OUR WAY TO WEMBLEY - FA Cup and Vase double this season I reckon ha!

Nice little earner to reach the 1st.Round Proper £29,500

THE FA CUP SPONSORED BY E.ON

EXTRA PRELIMINARY ROUND

SATURDAY 15 AUGUST 2009

Launceston v Clevedon United

Gillingham Town v Cullompton Rangers

Barnstaple Town v Tavistock

Bishop Sutton v Bodmin Town

Buckland Athletic v Hamworthy United

Saltash United v Chard Town

Ilfracombe Town v Falmouth Town

Sherborne Town v St Blazey

MATCH DATES

All ties must be played on Saturday 15 August 2009, kick-off 3.00 pm with replays on or before Thursday 20

August 2009, kick-off 7.45 pm.

Mike ..... In 1906/07 Torpoint actually entered the FA Cup and played Staple Hill at Home Park. This resulted in a goaless draw, but Torpoint won the replay 3-0 in Bristol. However in the next round they lost 2-0 to Radstock.

1st Qual Rd

Torpoint 1 - 1 Staple Hill 06/10/1906

Replay

Staple Hill 0 - 3 Torpoint 10/10/1906

2nd Qual Rd

Radstock Town 2 - 0 Torpoint 20/10/1906

Thanks Dave,

Torpoint will make it (so far) 15 Cornish clubs to play in the FA Cup

I had a quick look on the FA CUP archive and the following season Green Waves from Plymouth appeared losing 0-2 at Paulton Rovers.

Whats the story behind that club?-I do remember the name from the 60's when I followed Argyle.

It would take a hard slog to check out round by round from the FA cup history.

Mike

There's at least one other Cornish club you've missed. In season 1950/51 there was a team from CALLINGTON entered and lost in the Extra Preliminary Round away at Truro City 4-3.

I've got all of this written down somewhere, I'll check it out over the next couple of days with what is on your first post of the thread.

With regards to Green Waves - I can remember playing against them in my P & D days in the 70s!

Cheers

:thumbsup:

I have added Callington to the list

Callington played their league matches in the Cornwall Senior Cup Eastern Division.

Rules stated that all players in those days had to reside within 10 miles of their ground and in 1950 a protest from Millbrook that a Callington player was outside the limit.

An independent surveyor was called and proved that the players home was within 12feet of the 10mile radius to the callington ground.

This gets more intriguing the more you look

Thanks again

Guest The Judge aka RED OR DEAD

Chuffed to bits for the fans who thought the FA Cup had been snatched away from them, hope they all have a good run and some nice trips away.

Chuffed to bits for the fans who thought the FA Cup had been snatched away from them, hope they all have a good run and some nice trips away.

Nice sentiments from The Judge, let's hope at least one of us manage to have a good run for the good of Cornish Football!