Cornwall Football Forum

Duchy teams to watch out for this season

With two of the big guns going into the ECL who are the Duchy teams to watch out for this season who will have a decent shout of retining the Junior Cup for the East.

I am hoping that this is the season P6FC step up to the mark with all of last seasons squad bar TJ Newton aka Joey Barton being retained, we will also have 2006/07 double player of the year Neil Currah back after his world tour last year as well as ex-Frickley Athletic striker Martyn Probert who couldn't play last season due to work commitments. We have signed a decent back up keeper for Prento and are looking to sign a ECL centre midfielder and Duchy Prem midfielder to bolster an already strong midfield line up of N Currah, Ben Ringrose, Karl Urlander and Ben Lawrence. I personally think we are one striker short of being one of the top Duchy teams this season but only time will tell.

Is there anyone else outside the top guns like Torpoint and potentially new team Charles Town Saints who are going to be the teams to beat..

St Teath - Looe - Foxhole - Saltash - St Cleer - St Dennis - Gunnislake - Lamerton there's a few that might surprize you how good they maybe.

St Dennis will not be giving up the Junior Cup without a fight, that's for sure

Didnt st Dennis go up therefore they cannot retain it??

Prem6 wont match up to the 6-7 teams in Duchy premier.

Guest tafc.-gaffa

Yes they will but it will be a big ask to follow last years side!!!!

We (Torpoint) will be hoping for our 3rd successive area final and to actually go on and win it 3rd time lucky??!!!

I've heard that St Austell have made a couple of huge signings for this season... they could well be dark horses to do well in the cups.

Because of player movements at this level, it's very difficult to predict who will be the strongest Duchy sides... apart from the Premier Division sides you normally get a couple of really strong sides from every division.

We, at Charlestown Saints are aiming to set the league alight.

Signings such as Wayne Ferguson, Ian Hipwell, Nick Mills and Paul Stockley will give us not just a strong and beefy core, but a dynamic attacking edge, especially Ferguson, who by any standards (Peninsula included) is potentially the best player in the Duchy League.

Adding into the mix such players as Gary Dunphy, Matt Danneau and Anton Lake, and we have a good depth.

Potential signings such as "those that have been mouted and trained with us" will give us workrate and goals also.

We are by no means expecting to walk the Duchy 5, as we have some great competition ahead of us, but we hope to enjoy it and be the team to look out for.

Guest surferdude

I would imagine the team that finished a full 13 points ahead of premier Sixes might just have something to say about them being one of the leading contenders this season.

As for Charlestown saints, commenting on "potential signings" Chris Pearce and Shaun Wittle who are both still clearly connected with another club is very unprofessional and disrespectful in my opinion, if you have signed them, fair enough but to mention them on here when they havent even decided yet is a bit off the mark.

And finally if Wayne Ferguson is a better player than Nick Bennett I'll eat my hat.

Good luck next season everyone!

I feel this year there will be alot of good teams in each league and there will not always be one horse races for the league in each division. Regarding possibe signings i do agree names should not be mentioned unless they have signed or are 100% about signing. I am club secretary for st austell in the duchy league and I am quietly confident of keeping hold of the majority of the players from last season with some possible signings aswell to add to an already really strong squad.

I would also like to wish all the teams in the duchy league good luck for the 09/10 season. :D:D :D

If a player has been training with us, since our club formation, i see no harm in mentioning a name in pre-season, regardless of who they played for last year, especially when you have their signature. We are entering a new season. If a player has signed elsewhere, then you keep quiet. Apologies, if some of you are a little touchy, but thats not my concern.

Nobody is being forced to sign for Charlestown, but in all honesty, once you train at St. Mewan Park, you are sold.

Best of luck to everyone for the new season. Especially St. Austell and Dan Code's P6 who im sure will be strong enuff for promotion in the new season.

May i also suggest that everyone keeps their toys IN the pram for the start of the new season. That way EVERYONE enjoys their football.

If a player has been training with us, since our club formation, i see no harm in mentioning a name in pre-season, regardless of who they played for last year, especially when you have their signature. We are entering a new season. If a player has signed elsewhere, then you keep quiet. Apologies, if some of you are a little touchy, but thats not my concern.

Nobody is being forced to sign for Charlestown, but in all honesty, once you train at St. Mewan Park, you are sold.

Best of luck to everyone for the new season. Especially St. Austell and Dan Code's P6 who im sure will be strong enuff for promotion in the new season.

May i also suggest that everyone keeps their toys IN the pram for the start of the new season. That way EVERYONE enjoys their football.

There is no better player in Duchy Football than Saltash United's Wayne Skelton

Yes St Dennis will be in the Senior and Junior Cups this year and with 7 or 8 of last years first team moving down then they will still be competitive in Duchy 3.

Torpoint Favourites for all the Trophy's i am afraid have too much quality for anyone else.

Ian not sure you wanna say that you will walk Duchy 5 there are 5 new teams and who knows what each will have.

Like your signings though with Wayne and Nick both been around a long time and know what the leagues about.

Good Luck

Guest Frank le tank

I have heard that the Saltash United Assistant Manager aka Chunky is working hard for Saltash United 3rds in the summer transfer window to ensure they r a force this season judging by the early signs they could cause problems in the Duchy League this season.

Guest Shanz07

I have to agree with "Who Did What".... Can't believe i've said that!! lol, Wayne Skeldon is class! I see him in training and am part of the team he plays in and some of the things he does is pure class!

Dunno who that Elia thinks they are but they obviously haven't seen Wayne play to say he is shit!!

As for our new signings we will see what happens, I think we will do well next season.

Scott Summerfield used to be a great striker, he is missing confidence.... I think if he gets playing consitently he can get back to what he was and he will bang in the goals for fun like he always has.... I predict that either Scott (If he signs and plays), Wayne or Tony Jane will finish top goalscorer in the Duchy Prem.

Guest Chunky

I have heard that the Saltash United Assistant Manager aka Chunky is working hard for Saltash United 3rds in the summer transfer window to ensure they r a force this season judging by the early signs they could cause problems in the Duchy League this season.

I would like to thank frank le tank for the comments made about saltash utd trying to get new players and the hard work that goes in behind the scences.

scott summerfield will officially become a saltash utd 3rd team player as of 6.30 this evening

I would like to thank frank le tank for the comments made about saltash utd trying to get new players and the hard work that goes in behind the scences.

scott summerfield will officially become a saltash utd 3rd team player as of 6.30 this evening

UNlucky

Seriously fellas, you can tell the teams/players with Zero Confidence, right now, as you all slag each other off.

Get some confidence, be positive and believe in yourself. Dont reach for the tissues every time you disagree with each other. Be constructive.

Rant. Done.

:drink:

Guest st george9

scott summerfield not a bad player when he can stay on the pitch..bit to much chat to the ref now and again..but should do ok at saltash 3rds