Cornwall Football Forum

!Michael Owen! Worth The Risk???

He didnt just lose it over night! he lost it over the last 3 years! injury after injury! fitness has declined terribly, didnt look anything for newcastle this season, once englands greatest striker should of been able to get them out of trouble! not worth it

Guest Sport Lover

Worth the risk? no. He relied on pace and has now lost that and also prone to injury. A good striker should be scoring 20+ goals a season I doubt he ever will again score at that rate.

Michael Owen was in his early years the most exciting player in the world,he burst on the International stage in the World Cup and also made great advances in a very ordinary team in Liverpool,but the guy progressed in the aspiring Reds side and was easily one of the best strikers in the world,but did the prospect of playing for Real Madrid really pay off?Obviously it did not,the sesason he left Liverpool the Reds won(maybe luckilly)the Champions League(which was i thought the best performance by the Reds for a few decades),Michael Owens form and choice of clubs has got to be suspect,but the guy was class,and to me the only matter that was his downfall was money and the thought that Real could match Man Utd dominance and flair in the Champions League in years gone by,sadly it never materialised

Guest Man on the Post

Looks like Owen is off to Old Trafford on a free transfer! Just sit back and watch the greatest manager ever work his magic. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Guest Man on the Post

I remember that a few eyebrows were raised when Fergie signed Teddy Sherringham at the age of 31. It turned out to be a fantastic signing! :clapper: Owen is 29.

Had a feeling in my waters this was going to happen. Owen will be closer to home, playing for a proper club, be paid a good wage(much of which I guess would be on incentives) and its World Cup year. If he can stay fit he will be a massive asset to United AND England. A move like this will get his hunger back for the game and hopefully he will be out to prove all his doubters wrong

I think we'll see Owen get a second wind playing alongside the balance of mature and youthful and being up front with Rooney, we could see a class partnership develop! like you said Gillo, he may get a call up for England ! Alex knows what hes doing!! Nothing ventured nothing gained.

Guest Sport Lover

Big risk even on a free.

also it never ceases to amaze me how football players will sell their soul for money. How can Own play for a club that Liverpool hates and Liverpool fans think Owen is a hero. What a numpty.

Aston Villa, Stoke and Hull were also mentioned as clubs for Owen no one would criticise him for taking one of those clubs. Owen you gone down in my estimation.

Guest Man on the Post

Just think about all the Liverpool fans who, about 9 or 10 years ago, named their sons Owen! :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Will they ever come to terms with Owen now being a United player? :yahoo::yahoo:

Could be a lot changing their names by deed poll! :yahoo::clapper: :thumbsup:

got a good feeling that sir alex has pulled off a master 1 again...could be the best pound for pound signing of the summer.

put yourself in owens shoes.......he is gonna be buzzing, hungry. he will start as a squad player, no guarantee of starting, the biggest challenge of his life.

there will still be another signing at utd before the season starts, but this 1s given me a real buzzzzzzz

great signing for fergie im sure fergie will get him back scoring again.gutted as a liverpool fan that he gone united but thats life he would have been crazy to turn down united,hopfully form a partnership with rooney for the world cup

fergie is no fool.if owen went to the other clubs mentioned there would be pressure on him to play week in week out. at utd he can get fit and play the odd game,coming back healthier and more importantly not rushing back and picking up another niggle.also with the way utd counter-attack owen would be the perfect foil coming off the bench and running behind defences.just goes to show how fergie has stayed at the top for so long.if it don't work what have utd lost. think of the kids in the reserves and what they will learn from a good pro like owen,win win situation for fergie. the guys a genius. :clapper:

To say im shocked would be an understatment and as a Liverpool supporter am a bit dissapointed but, I don't think anyone in their right mind would turn down the opportunity to play for Man Utd and if anyone can reignite Owen's passion for the game then Fergie is probably the best man for the job and with a World Cup coming around next summer this can only be good for England. Good Luck Michael.

Ferguson may well end up providing England with a real fillip for South Africa - A fit and in form Michael Owen ( Not that he has any interest in that obviously ). Spare a thought for the poor old geordie faithful however,who saw Owen waltz in from Madrid four years ago,bank £120k a week, report for training,physio,surgery and the odd match by helicopter then fly off back home to gamble his Bo****s off on the gee gees.

Come relegation ( in which season he was as much use as a one legged man in an ass kicking contest ) and its - See you suckers no way am I going to take a drop in wages to help repay some of the loyalty / faith / opportunity you gave me when the "big four " did'nt want to know !

Still -- Thats modern day football I suppose

So Owen is responsible for the inept board and chairman as well as mediocre players that relegated Newcastle.

Get A Life you idiot everyone knows that one man does'nt make a team so Owen is not responsible for the position the Geordies are in they are their because they are not good enough to be anywhere else.

Don't blame one of the best strikers this country has seen for not wanting to play in the Championship.

:c: What a profound statement!There is two ways at looking at this,one Manchester United are struggling to attract top signings and two,this could be another of Mr Fergusons shrewd investments, i hope Michael does well,except against Liverpool!

Gosh you are being pleasant !! :thumbsup: :c:

Guest Gears of War

Big risk even on a free.

also it never ceases to amaze me how football players will sell their soul for money. How can Own play for a club that Liverpool hates and Liverpool fans think Owen is a hero. What a numpty.

Aston Villa, Stoke and Hull were also mentioned as clubs for Owen no one would criticise him for taking one of those clubs. Owen you gone down in my estimation.

Its just football not gangland warefare :SM_carton:

:c: What a profound statement!There is two ways at looking at this,one Manchester United are struggling to attract top signings and two,this could be another of Mr Fergusons shrewd investments, i hope Michael does well,except against Liverpool!

Dont think it is just man u struggling 2 attract top players, more like skillfull players dont want 2 play in a league were you get kicked and pushed of the ball. spain is a much better footballing league :thumbsup:

Someone earlier said that if he can't do it for Newcastle then he's not going to be able to do at a top six club is very wrong. His strike rate for Newcastle is a good return 30 in 79 games. Thats not too bad. He also was surrounded by a bunch of muppets that looked like they didn't know how to play football. As a Man U supporter I think he is bargain of the season. With better quality players and better service he will score a fair few this season providing he doesn't have too many injuries. And to see the Liverpool fans faces when he scores at Anfield will be worth it.

Guest kopidol8

As a liverpool fan good luck to him but think his best years are definately behind him! Not sure he has the hunger anymore.

£50K per week will pay for his horses! :D

The amount of time he is injured he will have plenty of time to watch them race :drink:

iv been a fan all my life and seen some great liverpol forwards, but i got to say Owen was a diffrnt gravy, so what do a ftball fan do who wife tells them she having a baby, and the great news its a boy, i get to chouse the name so either Gazza or Owen,so i chose Owen then what happens? he gone to Madrid, and if things cant get worse he gone to the scum. My son is getting counciling but he doing well. Lol.

Guest kopidol8

Well he has started his goal tally already !! came off the bench and got the winner!!! :thumbsup:

Hardly class opponents though! We will see.