Cornwall Football Forum

Potter and Tiffany stand down???

Guest `The kid Frankie`

Probably no truth whatsoever thou hearing who,s gone & who,s coming in feel a change sooner than later is inevitable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not many of last years team want to stay so there must be problems from within.

2nds not wanting to play 1st team football for the managemant team whats all that about??

Inter fueding between management????

Not all commitee in agreement with chosen managers.................

the 2nd team manager is 2 blame, making torpoint into 3 seperate teams not willing to release players 2 go on 2 play for the 1st's and influencing players 2 stay with the 2nds or bringing in duchy players who are doing well and deserve a chance therefore the club cannot progress as a whole!!!

As I understand it the pair resigned on Sunday morning as most of the first team had left for pastures new and the job is being advertised in the local press.

the 2nd team manager is 2 blame, making torpoint into 3 seperate teams not willing to release players 2 go on 2 play for the 1st's and influencing players 2 stay with the 2nds or bringing in duchy players who are doing well and deserve a chance therefore the club cannot progress as a whole!!!

The easiest thing to do is blame other people. The real reason is that they couldn't deliver what they promised ie keep Carter, Curtis etc. The best players left, they couldn't bring in replacements and all of a sudden it's the 2nd team managers fault. They had a big wake up call to football management. Everyone knew it was gonna happen just not as quickly as it did. Maybe now Torpoint can try and repair the damage and start moving forward again the other 2 can go back to doing what they do best- talk a good game

Guest havin a laugh

nothing to do with 2nd team manager, they shouldn have got the job in the 1st player, under rating their best players ie curtis!!

'Soccer Sue' it would appear that you dont like the toproint 2nd team as you have questioned them a couple times? The manager, as far as im concerned, never stepped in the way of any players playing for the first team, the players that didn't want to play did it through their own choice.

The whole of the Torpoint 2nd team squad were told by the management that if any of them wanted to step up and play at a higher level then it would be fully understood. A few in fact got told that they should be stepping up if they had any ambition, but it was decided by the individuals that they wanted to stay due to the team spirit. Having said that though, there were only 2 players in that 2nd team squad who were even asked by the 1st team to play for them, and that was after the 1st team missed out on their initial targets. The fact is, any approaches made to the players came from other Peninsula League sides who clearly rated those players higher than the 1st team management. So hiding behind the 2nd team thing falls on deaf ears i'm afraid

First thing I would like to say on this matter is that I have known 'Tiffs' for a number of years and you will not find a more passionate man where football is concerned. I also played with Potter at Torquay as a youngster and he is also a top man. I wish them both well in whatever they decide to do next.

Management in the SWP Premier League is becoming extremely difficult these days, unless your budget exceeds £600 a game in my opinion. Some of the figures I have heard banded about for players this year, doesn't really belong at this level. Do I blame the players for taking it? No, because some of the figures are 'head turning' and extremely difficult to turn down, unless of course they are in well paid jobs where money is not so much of an issue.

It's not rocket science to work out which clubs have all the money this season, but the vast majority of clubs in the league have probably had their budgets cut for the coming season, like we have at Launceston. Success has been achieved at Launceston over the last few years because there is a base of good local players, who have turned down big money moves, because they have such an affinity with the club.

From a coaching perspective most of the best players in the league have had grounding at professional clubs so there is less work to do with them. Obviously you have to get them operating as a team but mentally and technically they are generally more superior individually, to other teams in the league. Like the old saying goes, 'You get what you pay for!'

I think the way forward for teams with less money is to develop and coach younger players who are simply desperate to prove themselves at this level, coupled with a few older heads who are no longer interested in the financial side of things.

I sincerely hope that this season we get a less fashionable club, with a lower budget breaking through and challenging one of the big spending clubs, for the good of football!

From a coaching perspective most of the best players in the league have had grounding at professional clubs so there is less work to do with them.

I hope this is not the case at most clubs. Just because a player has had a supposed good background, it does not mean that they are therefore uncoachable, or even untouchable. I have played and worked with many players released by professional clubs, and the vast majority certainly still required a good level of coaching to at the very least maintain their existing standards (things are easily lost, and bad habits picked up - especially after the disappointment of being released). Many welcomed it, as they were used to that type of professional approach to training, and were still committed to learning. I think its even more important to provide these players with coaching (especially the younger players) so that they are given the opportunity to once again climb back UP the football ladder after sliding quite a long way down it. Lets not forget (Truro City aside) there is not a lot between say, Argyle and the SWPL in this region, so SWPL clubs need to consider the needs of these players when taking them on, and not just think that they are finished articles.

Back on topic, budgets aside, I think the Torpoint job would be a great one for the right person. Great set-up, and strong teams to support a first team operating in the premier division.

Funny how Gary isnt on here being his normal cocky, sarcastic self over the last few days like he normally is when posting on these boards. Whats the matter gary ?? Lost for words for once ???

Chin up son !!!

I take your point Mr Professor and some very good ones at that. It is important to maintain a good level of coaching because lets face it, it could even help get younger players get back into the professional game one day. However, there are some players who are set in their ways the older they get and they do not always have the right attitude, in my experience anyway.

I agree you can still improve players technically and mould them into the shape of a team, my point was I suppose, that you have a head start on this with players from a professional background.

ye hes red hot favourite and hes gettin dean cardew in as his number two apparently the board down torpoint like what they saw millbrooks 2nd half of the season and he already knows half the 2nd team as hes been trying to tap them up for weeks so he wouldnt have the problem reffering to lack of unity between sides watch this space

Guest havin a laugh

torpoint is a great club, the job needs to be given to someone who knows what they are doing and has the right amount of passion, unlike the 2 who have just stood down. i agree that the 2nd team manager should be given the job along with stevo!!

To many cardews down there they allways get what they want and if they dont they make it difficult for whoever is in charge .lets see ricky pull a half decent side together on £250 0r £300 ?????? NA ricky wont entertain it but i will tell yu one thing it was rickys choice to call there home game off against parkway under lights EVERYONE SAW THAT. how can yu do a pitch inspection inthe dark ha ha even the referee had mocassons on come on Torpoint yur in a major crisses.

torpoint is a great club, the job needs to be given to someone who knows what they are doing and has the right amount of passion, unlike the 2 who have just stood down. i agree that the 2nd team manager should be given the job along with stevo!!

From what Iv,e heard & seen Torpoint is a great club and it was clear that the parting of the waves with the previous management team was just a matter of time.

That said now so close to pre-season when most teams managers haveing all but sorted out players who they need/want for the coming campaign It will be really hard for whoever comes in to persuade players to join them so late on with many allready comitted to new clubs.

So a safe route might be to persuade R Cardew/Ian/Paul Stevens to lead from the front knowing they already have the knowledge of the club & 2nd team & those if any that remain from the 1st team,(doe,s anyone know who remained from last season?)

Either way some hard decision,s from the chairman & committee need to be made and not left to linger to long & learn from their mistakes made previously.

Hope they have had a decent response to the post & I wish them well.

(anyone seen it advertised in local press & who the front runners maybe?)

Guest Tjitsnotunusual

so saturday service do you mean return to the same managemen structure they had successfully in place down there for the start of last season. surely there will be more money available for players now tricky winger ?as they dont have to pay the prolific carts who must of took up a chunk of the wage down there as i heard he'l go anywhere for an extra tenner .. saltash , tavi , falmouth ,torpoint and the not quite so prolific davies who must also have taken a chunk as his work rate is phenominal

I see it that there is three option,s

1. See who is interested from the applications & interveiw who is considered the most appropiate.

2.Offer the job to Ian Stevens (if interested) with help from a current player or Ricky Cardew (if interested but that leaves a hole in the 2nds.)

3.Offer the job to an ex player who is ambitious knows the club & wants to turn things around, my candidate would be someone like Karl Kurtis who played last season,knows the players strengths/weekness,s good coach,& played i think in the 2nds sometime(obviously someone like that needs to want it first)

Guest Turkish

To many cardews down there they allways get what they want and if they dont they make it difficult for whoever is in charge .lets see ricky pull a half decent side together on £250 0r £300 ?????? NA ricky wont entertain it but i will tell yu one thing it was rickys choice to call there home game off against parkway under lights EVERYONE SAW THAT. how can yu do a pitch inspection inthe dark ha ha even the referee had mocassons on come on Torpoint yur in a major crisses.

You mean like he did at Bodmin when he was very successful (and trust me, even though people think they were big payers even back then, they weren't- i should know as i was one of those players) and then again with a bunch of local lads (who payed to play) with the 2nd team. And i think someone should ask Ian Stephens if he made things difficult for him, because every time i speak to Stevo he has nothing but praise for him. I think some people need to take a look back at where the club was 3 or 4 years ago when Ricky took over. Like him or hate him and i haven't always agreed with him when i played for him he brings success wherever he goes

so saturday service do you mean return to the same managemen structure they had successfully in place down there for the start of last season. surely there will be more money available for players now tricky winger ?as they dont have to pay the prolific carts who must of took up a chunk of the wage down there as i heard he'l go anywhere for an extra tenner .. saltash , tavi , falmouth ,torpoint and the not quite so prolific davies who must also have taken a chunk as his work rate is phenominal

being a mate of carts he decided it was time 2 move 2 a club challenging 2 win things, and as for an extra tenner i think teams offered him more than tavi did!!

Guest david may

i hope torpoint 2nds become the 1st team and get some hamerings as ur all cocky wen ur winning leagues against the likes of padstow lanreath and bude. cum up and play wiv the big boys

Guest Turkish

Big Boys???? Peninsula??? Calm down mate, 90% of you so called good players wouldn't have been entertained in the old south western league 10/15 years ago. Trouble is you all believe your own hype now. Big Boys, don't make me laugh!!!

Guest tafc.-gaffa

I dont think slating Tif and Potts is on!!!

Im know 99.9% of users on here have no idea or accurate knowledge about any of the politics at the club so they should keep their dribble to themselves and not post such crap!

Let the club workout a resolve and move on.

Guest `The kid Frankie`

Now now Mayzo calm yourself down anyone would think you only scored a handfull of goals last season!!!! and by the way Padstow and Bude wernt in the ecpl last season :D

you so called good players wouldn't have been entertained in the old south western league 10/15 years ago.

Oh dear Turkish, are you allowed to suggest that modern football isn't as good as it used to be! :c:

Anyway, which trophy winning side of Ricky's at Bodmin would you say was the best? :)

Now now Mayzo calm yourself down anyone would think you only scored a handfull of goals last season!!!! and by the way Padstow and Bude wernt in the ecpl last season :D

take it u scored plenty of goals last year then frank? :P thought not :D

Guest ECPL Supporter

i hope torpoint 2nds become the 1st team and get some hamerings as ur all cocky wen ur winning leagues against the likes of padstow lanreath and bude. cum up and play wiv the big boys

You really must think a lot of yourself David May. How disrespectful to the league and teams you mentioned. We all play part time as a hobby, and i really don't think any of us are that good where we can slate other people or whatever standard they are playing at. I'm sure any Truro player would view the standard you play at as not brilliant but you wouldn't expect him to come out giving you a hard time about it. As long as people enjoy playing that's the most important thing as far as i'm concerned

They only appeared when necessary contrary to what everyone else believes. i also think alot of the whinging from other clubs came from the fact that the only players from the western league that they could sign were the ones that weren't wanted at Bodmin! If you played well on the Saturday you wouldn't be left out during midweek anyway.

We were beaten during that spell by the likes of Penzance who drafted in players also but the difference was we just got on with the football rather than worrying about who was playing for who etc.

93/94 - champions of the SWL!

Goal machine Andy Waddell upfront, aided by the likes of Gerry Westlake and Jason Charlesworth also regularly amongst the goals.

High scoring wins - 8v2 Penzance; 7v0 Porthleven; 6v0 Okehampton Argyle and Tavistock

21 clean sheets from 34 league games (a run of 9 without conceding!) - who played at the back those days?

Guest ortega

Ha ha fair point Ortega but i've got great enthusiasm and I try hard!!!!

what a loser.You will need to have more then enthusiasm and work rate to ge in my team dawey.

my candidate would be someone like Karl Kurtis who played last season,knows the players strengths/weekness,s good coach,& played i think in the 2nds sometime(obviously someone like that needs to want it first)

I agree.Karl Kurtis would be a good choice but i know he is commited to bar rumba and view 2 on satuardays so wont be able to commit to football.

Good one 'David May' billy big time over there, do you sign autographs aswel?