Cornwall Football Forum

East cornwall leagues to get stronger again?????

Reported in this evenings Plymouth Evening Herald it has been announced that the P&D leagues are going to have a format change. Last seasons structure was 3 divisions- priemer, senior and intermediate. It has been announced that it will still be 3 divisions but with two seniors and an intermediate. With the league set up losing its premier status this means no clubs will be able to progress up the football prymid into the SWPL leagues 1 east or west.

Is this likely to have the effect of more clubs applying to join the ec leagues in the future? Will the ec leagues expand to accomadate?

With several teams getting their bridge tickets out and hopping over the tamar in recent years such as Tamarside, tavistock and parkway will we start seing the likes of wessex rangers applying to join?

oh n i guess this is gonna start up the whole name debate again.....

Any thoughts on how people feel it will effect the ec leagues format and standard?

I imagine it would always be open to new clubs provided the facilities are ok. And yes I cannot for the life of me understand why the league does not change its name.

Did you also know that half the clubs in the league are SWPL reserve teams.

yes ecpl you have a point with that. with the influx of devon clubs in recent years they have also been mainly reserve sides such as tavy, parkway, elburton and plymstock.

the stardard of teams in the ecpl is without doubt superior to the p&d leagues and as for the facilities....well the two bottom teams in ec1 are light years ahead of what teams such as mount gould or old Sutts have to offer. These two factors have obviously had a massive influnce in the influx of plymouths swpl reserve teams.

would be interesting to see that if the likes of torpoint, launceston and saltash second teams could have be eligible to apply for promotion would they have taken the step up?

yes ecpl you have a point with that. with the influx of devon clubs in recent years they have also been mainly reserve sides such as tavy, parkway, elburton and plymstock.

the stardard of teams in the ecpl is without doubt superior to the p&d leagues and as for the facilities....well the two bottom teams in ec1 are light years ahead of what teams such as mount gould or old Sutts have to offer. These two factors have obviously had a massive influnce in the influx of plymouths swpl reserve teams.

would be interesting to see that if the likes of torpoint, launceston and saltash second teams could have be eligible to apply for promotion would they have taken the step up?

Adding to this more teams joing the eclp from over the tamar means so much more travelling for teams like probus st stephens sticker biscovey an so on!its bad enough as it is for teams such as probus having to travel as far asbere alston plymouth parkyway bude torpoint launceston now i think its alot of traveling soon this will have to come in that a regionalising the leagues would be a step forward instead of premier and div 1 should be an east an west league on the same level both leagues have great levels of teams should be east an west so both teams from each league have the opportunity to progress on to swp p.s sorry about spelling

Top 7 in ECPL Premier last season.

Torpoint Athletic

Saltash United

Launceston

Sticker

Bere Alston United

St Stephen

Tavistock

It is almost inevitable that Plymouth Parkway would be amongst that group so if the League was split into East and West, arguably SIX of the top eight teams in the ECPL would be in the East Division>

East Divison would probably be

Torpoint Athletic

Saltash United

Launceston

Bere Alston United

Tavistock

Plymouth Parkway

Morewenstow

Bude Town

Holsworthy

Plymstock United

Elburton Villa

Millbrook

Lifton

Callington

Edgecumbe

St Stephens Borough

Then you'd have the likes of Polperro, St Dominick and Liskeard who would be slap bang in the middle and could go in either Division and would also mean that Nine of the Sixteen SWPL Reserve sides would also be in the East Division making it overall (on paper at least) a far stronger division than the West.

One of the reasons Bere Alston joined the league was for the quality of the teams and their respective facilities / pitches, regardless of the travelling distance.

Travelling was never an issue in our case and is infact one of the things that make this league so enjoyable....travelling across Cornwall and not facing the same old faces on the same old pitches in and around plymouth week in week out.

I'm sure all the Plymouth / West Devon based clubs took the travelling into account when they joined the league and still applied anyway, I would argue that if the clubs in the far west of the league were so concerned about the amount of travelling they could follow the lead of their Plymouth / West Devon counterparts and apply to join the Combination League.

It seems to me that the only clubs who don't want to travel too far are quite simply those that are near the bottom of their divisions.

I have it on good authority that ONLY 4 teams voted for regionalisation at the AGM were :Probus;Nanpean

Roche and St.Columb Major.I rest my case!

If those clubs were challenging for honours,I bet they would travel anywhere.

It seems to me that the only clubs who don't want to travel too far are quite simply those that are near the bottom of their divisions.

I have it on good authority that ONLY 4 teams voted for regionalisation at the AGM were :Probus;Nanpean

Roche and St.Columb Major.I rest my case!

If those clubs were challenging for honours,I bet they would travel anywhere.

this is the first season that probus have dropped out of the top 5 in the last 5 or 6 seasons they have always done well won league cup an evely cup so it aint to do with the fact that there at the bottom its the fact that every away game is miles away most over an hour drive!!!regionalising would be better also would be able to get better players to play as the players dont always want to travel so far!!

I suggest that if players can't be bothered to travel for 1 hour to a game,then they shouldn't be playing in senior football.The fact of the matter is the higher the standard;the more travel involved.

What about the likes of Mousehole,Hayle,Porthleven and Wendron etc.? These clubs have far more travelling in Peninsula West :and let's face it,that football is not much better than the Combo/ECPL.

Don't forget-HALF the games are at home!