Cornwall Football Forum

How is everyones Pitch/Ground work going?

How is everyones pitch/ground work going? With the season long gone this is normally the time that volunteers put their free time and sweat into their local clubs.

Falmouths pitch is slowly turning around. But i am under no illusions that it will be a brilliant playing surface over night. I would like people to look last March and look again in 2 or 3 years time. Below is a picture in March and a picture taken last week.

I think the club want to play a pre season game on the 17 July. But dont quote me on that. I am sure they will announce some games soon. If i had my way i would stay off longer. But understand the first league game is 8th August, away to Elburton. Therefore i think the first team will want to get as many friendlies in a s possible for fitness e.t.c.

How is everyones pitch/ground work going? With the season long gone this is normally the time that volunteers put their free time and sweat into their local clubs.

Falmouths pitch is slowly turning around. But i am under no illusions that it will be a brilliant playing surface over night. I would like people to look last March and look again in 2 or 3 years time. Below is a picture in March and a picture taken last week.

If you are the groundsman you tell them when the pitch is ready,ask Bakes the second word is OFF. :rolleyes:

If you are the groundsman you tell them when the pitch is ready,ask Bakes the second word is OFF. :rolleyes:

I know Bakes is a legend!

Hi Richard, I would say we are 3 months into what i would see as a 2/3 year plan to get Falmouth Pitch really decent. So far, Weeds sprayed with Selective herbicide in April, Pitch vertidrained, overseeded and fertilised in May. Plus the usual TLC such as regular mowing. End of August/ September i think another application of herbicide for the weeds. I think Aprils spray took out about 70% of what we had. So 2nd application will target the rest. Just before the winter another verti drain is essential to help take pitch through the beginning of the winter months. And if pitch still getting wet/waterlogged in those 2/3 bad places we will have to put down some Goonvean sand to firm up areas to take us through. And look further into drainage. but it is essential to see first how wet areas respond to the compaction being taking out, with regular aeration. This is before saying the drains have collapsed or saying we need to dig up pitch looking for clay layers. Clay soil is obviously bad for drainage and can inhibit water ever reaching the drains. Oh then theres more fertiliser which is needed to put nutrients back in. The only operation that money fell short on so far is Top Dressing. So hopefully next year we can get it done. Ideally 60-90 ton sand/soil mix is needed. and you would be looking at about 30 quid a ton if you lucky plus delivery and spreading costs: 1800- 2700. But it would really take it to the next level!!! (maybe 30 ton minimun realistic!)

Hope that answers your questions. At end of day we can only do what we can do but unfortunately it comes down to that stupid thing called money!

• 3 weeks later...