Cornwall Football Forum

Cooper hits out

Guest MR A

Guest The Judge aka RED OR DEAD

To save time clicking, here is the article. Anyone want to guess the club Coops is unhappy with. I'd say the players are right to stay if the management team have convinced them it is the right thing to do.

LISKEARD Athletic manager Leigh Cooper feels some sections of the South West Peninsula League are ‘morally bankrupt’ after he missed out on making three signings for the Lux Park club. The highly-respected former Plymouth Argyle captain was due to announce the captures today after two of the players shook hands on the transfers earlier this week, with the other verbally agreeing over the phone. But Cooper said that, at the 11th hour, the three players, who he preferred not to name, were persuaded by their current club, believed to be a fellow Cornish team, to stay.

Cooper said: “I haven’t got a problem with the lads – you can’t blame them in the current financial climate.

“It’s more about the state of local football. Some clubs are paying out lots of money, and it’s the reason this league has got the reputation it has. “I don’t want to get involved in a slanging match, and that’s why I won’t name the team involved. “Let’s just say the players probably haven’t made their decisions for football reasons. When we talked to two of the players, and they agreed to join us, we didn’t even mention money.”

Cooper said he was still confident of making two or three signings which would be seen as very good acquisitions.

Liskeard have retained most of last season’s squad, although Chris Sully has joined Torpoint, while moves for Elburton striker Sam Hughes and Joe Carey fell through.

Would Coops be happy if the boot we're on the other foot ?

Guest Uncle Albert

Be careful what you copy from other websites, Judge, without putting the link, as it is a copyright article. And people have been known to be taken to court for breach of copyright.

For those who like to play by the rules, the link is, www.thisiscornwall.co.uk/football

Many thanks.

Guest The Judge aka RED OR DEAD

Thank you for your concern Uncle Albert.

I'm still not entirely sure what Coops problem is though. He is fully aware of the summer merry-go-round of players and managers, unless someone has put pen to paper, then he should not be counting chickens. It is a problem that the majority of clubs face but even then, there is nothing to stop a club putting in 7 days notice. On that subject, it is about time we had a proper transfer window rather than 7 days which can be far more disruptive over a season.

Guest Uncle Albert

I think Coops' problem is that he thought a handshake was good enough - he's from the Old School. I'm sure next time he will be taking transfer forms with him when he talks to players !!!

• 2 weeks later...

Well it's good to see that at least Liskeard have now made a couple of signings!

They are both strikers, an area where Liskeard struggled last season.

Saltash United striker Carl Pender, who was with Liskeard for a short while last season, has signed for the Blues along with experienced front-man Andy Bowker, who ended up with Tavistock last season, after leaving his player/manager post at Falmouth.

:clapper: