Cornwall Football Forum

The day that football died and became a joke factory

Sorry to start yet another topic about this but i just had to do it

Ronaldo will reportedly earn £28.9m in the final year of his six-year contract under terms offered by Real Madrid.

That amounts to a massive £556,000 a week, but the Portuguese forward will have to make do with just £183,000 a week in the first year of his deal.

His wages will then increase by 25 per cent every season he is a Real Madrid player, and he will earn a massive £106 million in total.

That takes the total cost of the transfer for Real Madrid to just under £200m.

This is a disgrace and just an absolute joke, How can anybody pay this kind of money for one human being and how is anybody possibly worth that amount in wages per week ffs

Ok great business for Manchester united (Although they are in serious debt themselves) but come on folks this is just one very large piss take, I know that if one of my teams players were sold for as much I would be happy with the money (No chance ever of that happening) but in all honesty and getting down to the nitty gritty of it all is any one person worth that amount of money (Be honest as well)

The world is in serious financial trouble, People in other countries live on the streets without food or water and big brother is on which means anyone who watches it will become suicidal pushing the death rate through the roof and now this, 200 MILLION, 200 MILLION for one person I am sorry but this is crazy and I disagree 100% with this (Not that anyone gives a toss and what’s my opinion worth) f-all but I just had to say it as my blood is boiling

REAL MADRID AND RONALDO

Thank you so much for taking my faith in what was once a great sport and one I loved so dearly, It is now just one big money making scam (Making millionaires without actually having the money in the bank)

Bring back football of the 70s and 80s when money meant f**k all because there was none and when players would play after a night out on the pop it was far more entertaining and worth the entry fee alone

The day this transfer was done is the day that football, as we know it died

R.I.P The sensible game that was

Welcome to the world of REALDO where dreams come true for some and hope for the average person in the street just disapears

I both agree with you and disagree with you cockerkneeboy. Having just read about it my first thought was that it's a ludicrous amount to pay for one person and given the state of the world it's a travesty that such things are allowed to happen.

However on the flipside, and i'm playing devil's advocate here, is it not a shrewd (probably the wrong word for it) business move? If you ran a business and had the opportunity to invest in something that could potentially return your investment with a profit, would you refuse yourself the opportunity on the basis that your making money is depriving that money to somebody else in the world, be that in this country or any other?

COD

I fully understand what your saying and I agree although I did say in my post that if one of my teams players was sold for that amount I would be happy with the money and I agree with you that ronaldo is a potential investment but my point is that no one person/player is worth this ridiculous amount of money and his wages are just crazy in the current world climate

It is only my view and I just personaly believe that this transfer has ruined the game for what it realy is or should be

Everyone of course has and is entitled to their own opinion as you are to my friend, I am not after a debate or an argument I am just stating publicly my feelings on this matter

Take care and be lucky

Wake up and smell the coffee. Footy has always been a business. However, now it is the players who are reaping the benefits, not the greedy chairmen of old. The supporters too are in much more comfort (I don't want to go back to terracing). Players are worth what someone is prepared to pay for them. If WHU had a rich backer and bought Ronaldo I think you would like that, at whatever price.

The problems of the world are not linked to footy. Footy is there to help you forget for 90 mins.

Wake up and smell the coffee. Footy has always been a business. However, now it is the players who are reaping the benefits, not the greedy chairmen of old. The supporters too are in much more comfort (I don't want to go back to terracing). Players are worth what someone is prepared to pay for them. If WHU had a rich backer and bought Ronaldo I think you would like that, at whatever price.

The problems of the world are not linked to footy. Footy is there to help you forget for 90 mins.

Ahhh but for some the likes of watching a football match from the terraces was what it was all about, You dont need to explain about greedy chairmen either because we had one of the worst in Terrance Brown fella

Wake up and smell the coffee lmfao

Football is a business yes you are correct there and if Manchester united are one of the richest clubs in the world with a 700 million yes you heard that right a 700 million debt then i would suggest that the business side of things is not that great

Put it this way if the company i am employed with were lets say 50 million pounds in debt then i would have to find myself another job, Thankfully the company i work for turn a healthy profit every financial year which to me is good business (Or do you think otherwise)

Oh look i am getting myself into a debate he he :D

Put it this way if the company i am employed with were lets say 50 million pounds in debt then i would have to find myself another job, Thankfully the company i work for turn a healthy profit every financial year which to me is good business (Or do you think otherwise)

Contradiction in terms, fella. These clubs in debt also turn over a healthy profit every year. Do you know for certain that your company owes no money?? I'd be surprised if that were true... :blink:

Contradiction in terms, fella. These clubs in debt also turn over a healthy profit every year. Do you know for certain that your company owes no money?? I'd be surprised if that were true... :blink:

BHarvey, (Obviously apart from the accounts we have with others which do get paid every month) Yes chap i do know for sure so be suprised :D

As for these clubs turning over healthy profits im affraid it is all tosh, your either in business making money and in the black or your in business and in the s**t because you are in debt it is fairly simple to work out

I dont care what people say or think the long and short of it is that you cannot be £700 million in debt and still turn over a profit as one company

Just a slight technicality of United being in debt.

The debt is similar to that of a mortgage. A loan was taken out in order to be able to fund the purchase of the club. The £700million pounds is rested upon the club. What it reallys means is that the owners are actually in debt, and with failure to pay the loan back, the club would be owned by whoever would have given the loan.

My opinion on the whole situation is that football is a form of entertainment. Whilst fans pay there entrance fees, food, drinks, programmes etc... all of that money is retained in the club. The club then reinvest that money in making the entertainment better for the people who pay theirs monies, and the chain goes on.

It would be very similar to going to the cinema, paying to watch, the money ends up back with the filmmakers who with that money make another film.

It's just lucky that some clubs have been able to market themselves as a good prospect to invest in. That is how all businesses work.

Real Madrid had better win something next season then. And only the champions league will do. Great business Man U a proft of £68m in four years. Can't be bad. I wonder who the next one will be.

profit making clubs...interesting. havnt real madrid got a financial loan for all these signings. I think its more worrying that big clubs are being basically given money (as id imagine these loans are longterm ones and will nevewr be paid back) when there already in debt and yet smaller clubs cant get any financial help at all and then get punished by the f a aswell

I agree that the money side of things has gone crazy.

Its seems that the big clubs get richer and the small clubs struggle to survive.

Just look at the Southamton situation who for years where a steady Old 1st Division/Premier League Club and now are on the verge of collapse aswell as the prospect of facing life in the third tier of English Football. Perhaps it is time for FIFA to step in and bring in a maximum transfer fee and wage cap or i fear more teams will suffer Southamptons fate.

RUGBY UNION AND LEAGUE HAVE WORKED WITH A WAGE CAP FOR YEARS

So Issac you are happy to see more of the little teams railroaded out of business (because if we do something about it we are communists) by the bigger clubs getting richer or as it seems more and more into debt but still paying ridicously large amounts of money for players they obviously cannot afford. As i understand it you are a Chelski fan, well if it hadn't been for Red Rom buying the club a few years back it could well of been Chelski in The Saints position now because as i remember Mr Bates sold the club because of spiralling debts that the club couldn't afford to pay. So would you still have the same views on the situation then????? well that i very much doubt.

Bear this in mind, the knock on effect will eventually hit local football and where will we all be then?????

RUGBY UNION AND LEAGUE HAVE WORKED WITH A WAGE CAP FOR YEARS

Not being fully aware of what the egg-chasers from "upnorth" do, but I think the amount they pay out on wages is dependent on their turnover. I don't think they can exceed a certain percentage without incurring financial penalties. Correct me if I'm wrong.

• 3 weeks later...

North Devon Dweller, I am opposed to little clubs being railroaded out of business, despite being a Chelski fan. (We do need all you inferior clubs so there is somebody to beat !)

I merely quoted the legal position on restraints of trade: I did not say that I supported it. It's Midfield who has expressed anti-communist sentiments, not me !

My only objection to "communism" is that it is too right-wing. I am a libertarian anarchist and regard all institutional control with contempt. :D