Cornwall Football Forum

St Dominick

Guest Flintstone

Guest Flintstone

With Pethicks going to Saltash, and taking all but 3 of the squad with them, who

will go to St Dominick?

Good club to go to. Fine chance for someone.

Any idea which 3 arent going??

No arguement about it being a good club - it clearly is.

However, are there enough players in the Saltash area to support 3 ECPL clubs as well as Saltash Utd 3rds Duchy Premier?

Regarding managers - pure speculation but would Andy Carmichael & Colin Summerfield be tempted into a nostalgic return?

Will Phil Penprase see it as an opportunity to get his talented young Saltash side into the ECPL as they cant go any higher than Duchy Prem as Saltash 3rds?

What about promoting from their own reserves?

Then there's the ex Borough pair of Steve Brown & Alistair Sampson?

As I say pure speculation.

Guest st george9

Then there's the ex Borough pair of Steve Brown & Alistair Sampson?

be shocked to see that happen julian ,unless you know something..and if they do why they leave borough??

Guest GOOSE ON

Very confused by all this!!! That means that 10 or 11 players that only finished mid-table in Div 1 last season are now being promoted over night and expected to fair really well at East Cornwall Premier, making the switch as a team almost from St Dominick to Saltash.

Shame on the players I say as it was little old St Dominick that gave most of them their first crack at Senior Football.....no loyalty these days, even when there's no money involved.

From what I've heard it's going to be a mixture of St Dom & St Stephens Borough that make up the new Saltash 2nd team squad.......so it may all come crashing down at Borough in the next few weeks aswell Julian.

As for speculation I have it on very very good authority that top of their shopping list is Tony & Mark Blake, another father / son act to step straight into the Pethick's shoes!!!

Be good for the club as Tony is qualified to UEFA B standard and Mark is already Level II and looking to do his B Licence in the next 12 months or so. So at long last the club would actually have people in place that can coach and run their own training sessions, as in the past 2 seasons St Dom have had to enlist help from Pete May & Phil Harvey to take their training as the managers at the time didn't have their own ideas and sessions.

The biggest problem for St Dom though is can they get hold of Mark before he goes elsewhere. I waspeaking to him earlier in the week and he had an interview this week with an East Cornwall Premier team, and he's favourite to get the job!!!!

Guest Flintstone

Any idea which 3 arent going??

Don't know them so may not have got names quite right but Chris Pethick has said that

Nicholls? Sargent? Summerfield? not good enough to step up

Whether he has told them yet I don't know, but that is what he told St Dom.

St George no 9 - was just throwing every name I could think of into the hat!

My understand was that when Brown & Sampson stood down that they would then remain with the club on the committee. No-one has told me any different.

Goose On - I fully expect that Borough will lose a couple of players to Saltash but given Phil Bennetts connections in football, Baz's connections in the armed forces and the relationship the club built up last year with Saltash Youth I have no fears for the club.

I'm sure the Blakes would do a good job at St Dominick if the chance arose although I have been told Phil Penprase and Mark Down are taking the complete 3rd team from Saltash to St Dominick.

They have impressive qualifications but not quite sure how a UEFA coaching licence will help attract players to a club apparently left with 3 players.

Guest Flintstone

I am one of the players from the Saltash 3rd team and its the first i've heard of this.

Got to be a good move for you boys though?

Guest Frank le tank

Goose on you say, 'From what I've heard it's going to be a mixture of St Dom & St Stephens Borough that make up the new Saltash 2nd team squad.......so it may all come crashing down at Borough in the next few weeks aswell Julian'.

As a Boro player can't see any of borough's current starting 11 wanting go and play for the Pethicks at Saltash as their current crop of players believe they are capable of winning the title this season under the new Benny and Busher Regime and wouldn't see a mid table finish in the league above as an achievement. The majority of the squad have been with the Club since its Duchy days and are loyal to the club.

I am also lead to believe that the Old Borough Management were offered the Saltash 2nds job earlier this season but rejected it as the club believe they can reach ECP on their own merit. Will be an interesting season i feel. The Lads are Boro are also relishing the Encounter with there arch duchy nemisis Edgecumbe!!!!

Guest Shanz07

I am one of the players from the Saltash 3rd team and its the first i've heard of this.

Got to be a good move for you boys though?

Yes it probably would. its another step up and i'd be more than happy to play at a higher level.

Our management is very good and Trims and Windows have supported our team for years so whatever our manager decided i'm sure the whole team would be right behind him.

Guest Flintstone

Quote:-

As a Boro player can't see any of borough's current starting 11 wanting go and play for the Pethicks at Saltash as their current crop of players believe they are capable of winning the title this season under the new Benny and Busher Regime and wouldn't see a mid table finish in the league above as an achievement. The majority of the squad have been with the Club since its Duchy days and are loyal to the club.

Nice to hear there is some loyalty somewhere, glad Phil Bennett is in charge, he will do you proud

so stick by him.

Guest biscuitwrists

Look flintstone........... it just sounds like sour grapes to me cus you wanted the 2nd team job at saltash. lets face it phil your boys where not ready for the step up anyway!!!! except maybe tony jane and wayne if he could sort himself out :drink:

St Dominicks loss and Saltash' gain in my opinion, i would say that its a huge task for the blakes family considering there failure at Pensilva! As for the ex Saltash 3rd team manager taking over St.Dominick, this would be a big gamble as his players and him are not capable of competing at this level as was shown in there dissapointing defeat to edgcumbe in the final last year!

oh dear , oh dear , oh dear.......

What has happened to community spirit ?????????

So the 3rd team manager is upset that someone else got the 2nd team job ....... what a surprise!

I think u might be embarrasing yourself (flintstone). It doesn't seem like you've handled this appointment too

well!

Having been a spectator at some of your games this season i would say Saltash would be glad to see the end of someone like you ........ bad news !

Also you might want to check with some of your players on thier opinion of you before you start on other peoples reputation.... " what phil knows about football, you could write on a postage stamp " was one of them.

With regards to Chris Pethick , i believe you have the backing of the people of Saltash who know thier local football, so good luck for the season !

ps i would also like St.Dominick to do well again this year as it is a great club !!

Let the football do the talkin !!! :SM_carton:

Guest Shanz07

St Dominicks loss and Saltash' gain in my opinion, i would say that its a huge task for the blakes family considering there failure at Pensilva! As for the ex Saltash 3rd team manager taking over St.Dominick, this would be a big gamble as his players and him are not capable of competing at this level as was shown in there dissapointing defeat to edgcumbe in the final last year!

I think thats a tad unfair, it was one game and we all know we didn't perform that day... You gonna say that St.Dennis won't be good enough either cos as far as I can remember we played half decent that night and beat them to get to the final.

You can't judge how our lot play just on the Edgecombe game. (Can I just add that 3 or 4 of our most influential players this season wearn't 100% fit for the final!)

Guest Flintstone

duchyMclovin what a you are!!You are the one that has got personal!Everyone (except you) knows that none of the 3rd team or management where ever interested in the 2nd team job.I don't have a problem with Chris Pethick, (except I think he could have been more honest with St Dominick)However, Brian his Dad is a different matter! Football do the talking? We beat the Junior Cup winners.Been promoted every year since joining Duchy league, thats down to good managementby Andy & Colin early on and the boys on the pitch.Every player I wanted to re-sign for next season has done so.I don't believe your yarn about our players remarks, but I have never claimed to KNOWabout football, it's in my heart.Nice of you to have watched us this season, support is always appreciated.Look forward to meeting you (if you got the balls to make yourself known!)

I do hope someone with a good team goes to St Dominick they are a good club.

Love an peace !!!!

Guest Flintstone

blakes family considering there failure at Pensilva!

Bit unfair? Considering only Blakes and Pensilva know exactly what happened?

As for the ex Saltash 3rd team manager taking over St.Dominick, this would be a big gamble as his players and him are not capable of competing at this level as was shown in there dissapointing defeat to edgcumbe in the final last year!

Don't know what you are on about, there is no ex 3rd team manager and no saltash players are going anywhere except one wants to try his luck at Parkway.

And I reckon Edgecombe will go straight to top of East Cornwall div 1 (they are something else)

But Saltash did beat the junior cup winners!!!

Guest Flintstone

Wish I still could mate,

something we all need to instill into the players we have, play for as long as you can, there will be plenty of time for everything else.

Guest GOOSE ON

"Goose On - I fully expect that Borough will lose a couple of players to Saltash but given Phil Bennetts connections in football, Baz's connections in the armed forces and the relationship the club built up last year with Saltash Youth I have no fears for the club".

Oh dear Julian wake up and smell the coffee....................

You're a long way away from all this action!

4 down and more to follow??

"Oh dear Julian wake up and smell the coffee...................."

I am struggling to identify the smell. Is it coffee or is it the pungent aroma of bitter goose?

All but three of St Dominick signed? According to the goosey oracle four or maybe more of Borough? Just checking are still an association football team and not an American football team? How many players to they want?

Goose On - its sad to say you seem to take a perverse pleasure in your misgiuded hope that Borough will struggle. I prefer to believe Borough players such as Frank le Tank who I quote:

"As a Boro player can't see any of borough's current starting 11 wanting go and play for the Pethicks at Saltash as their current crop of players believe they are capable of winning the title this season under the new Benny and Busher Regime and wouldn't see a mid table finish in the league above as an achievement. The majority of the squad have been with the Club since its Duchy days and are loyal to the club."

I also stand by my original comments which I note you have not challenged:

" but given Phil Bennetts connections in football, Baz's connections in the armed forces and the relationship the club built up last year with Saltash Youth I have no fears for the club."

Perhaps it will be a season of transition for the club. I understand from the club that "our expectation is to at least consolidate our position in this league this season" which will be a fine achievement.

Borough will not struggle next season and may even clinch the promotion that was so nearly theres last season.

cant believe how personal and how many issues some of u folk have got out there. u should b ashamed of yourselfs if not your clubs should be. i dont think it matters whats happened in the past this site is meant to be about football gossip and rumours not personal snipes name dropping and clearly trying 2 damage junior pethicks chances of bettering himself!! as 4 honesty is there any at any standard (ronaldo) (steve bruce) it happens, cant see the lad pethick has done nowt different from what any other young gaffa would do!!! i certainly would grab his chance with both hands. FLINSTONE u should take a look at yourself.. chenery you here 2 sides 2 a story before quoteing the press. a commitee member of st dominic has told me pethick did not commit himself at presentation evening and was very upset at leaving his club. i say give the pethicks a break, in past dealings with them they seem decent family guys having a go at a bigger club. MOVE ON

cant believe how personal and how many issues some of u folk have got out there. u should b ashamed of yourselfs if not your clubs should be. i dont think it matters whats happened in the past this site is meant to be about football gossip and rumours not personal snipes name dropping and clearly trying 2 damage junior pethicks chances of bettering himself!! as 4 honesty is there any at any standard (ronaldo) (steve bruce) it happens, cant see the lad pethick has done nowt different from what any other young gaffa would do!!! i certainly would grab his chance with both hands. FLINSTONE u should take a look at yourself.. chenery you here 2 sides 2 a story before quoteing the press. a commitee member of st dominic has told me pethick did not commit himself at presentation evening and was very upset at leaving his club. i say give the pethicks a break, in past dealings with them they seem decent family guys having a go at a bigger club. MOVE ON

The funny thing is pethetick didnt get the job on his managerial skills. Saltash United are desperate for money, therefore they wanted to get local lads back to drinking at the club house to help pay off all the debt. We all know that the team struggled in the league below, and ECP is a big step up. Apparently all Pethetick does is scream and shout.....

Rumour has it that he is only a stop gap for a year and that the club is looking for a more perminant team for the year after.

St. Stephens Brough will struggle this year, we all know that. They had a great year last year, but they over performed and they will be near the bottom this coming season.

The 3rd team need to strengthen. It is comendable that they stick with Saltash players, but their midfield is terrible. Upfront is not to bad and neither is their defence, but the most important area of the team, is terrible!! Their oldest player is 23 which is good, but they wont win Duchy prem just yet. Top four would be a good season for them. They should not even think about going up untill to EC1 untill their players have matured a bit.

You cannot blame Pethetick for grabbing this chance... anyone would have including you flintstone!! But its a step too far... one years management and no experience in this league will unfortunatly prove too big a step for him at this stage of his short career.

By the way Goose on (Blake) is the worst manager ever. Badges mean nothing, results mean everything and you dont get any!!

Guest Smurf

First of all i think you will find that his name is Pethick, not Pethetick and if he didnt get it on his managerial skills then what did he get it on? The clubhouse brings in enough money anyway, bringing in a team will not change this anyway whatsoever as they all drink up there anyway!! As for Pethick screaming and shouting is that not what a manager is supposed to do with his players!!! :clapper:

"St. Stephens Brough will struggle this year, we all know that. They had a great year last year, but they over performed and they will be near the bottom this coming season."

No we dont all know that.

I'm not suggesting Borough will win it but I'm sure Borough wont struggle and will be top half if not challenging.

First of all i think you will find that his name is Pethick, not Pethetick and if he didnt get it on his managerial skills then what did he get it on? The clubhouse brings in enough money anyway, bringing in a team will not change this anyway whatsoever as they all drink up there anyway!! As for Pethick screaming and shouting is that not what a manager is supposed to do with his players!!! :clapper:

It was a pun on his name.... pathetic..... They bring more local people to the club.. rather than having the plymouth players having one drink then going back to plymouth. If the clubhouse brings in enough money why is the club struggling with costs??

Shouting and screaming does not get the best from players, as shown in the poor position that ST. Domonic came in the league, but they will obviously achieve a better position in the league above???!!!!! :clapper:

and it is certainly not man mangement skills.

Borough over achieved, everyone knows it and they will be bottom half this year.... teams will be become used to playing on your cheating pitch.

Only my views though. (and maybe a few others)

Guest Frank le tank

St George I believe there are just the 2 departures from Borough in which the management are happy to let move on for pastures new. Mark Hoskings is one of them who will be moving to Saltash 2nds on a free transfer and the high profile Dave Wilkinson is currently in quite public contract talks with Saltash 2nds and Launceston 1st team who are both looking to land the 31 year old vetran strikers signiture. No other players are looking to move on at present.

Guest st george9

St George I believe there are just the 2 departures from Borough in which the management are happy to let move on for pastures new. ???? are they ? i was led to understand a few phone calls were made to keep them at the club..

Mark Hoskings is one of them who will be moving to Saltash 2nds on a free transfer and the high profile Dave Wilkinson is currently in quite public contract talks with Saltash 2nds and Launceston 1st team . frank le tank is this more fiction or facts????

hope that hamstring gets better soon looks like you going be busy next season :thumbsup:

I hear that paul blatchford is going to be next saints manager with chris truscott as his number 2. He cant wait to get back into football, and especially with st dominic being an old club he is an obvious good replacement. Plus the comittee want to get back to a local team not a team from saltash!

Good luck to the saints next season and also chris pethick at saltash.

Guest Shanz07

The funny thing is pethetick didnt get the job on his managerial skills. Saltash United are desperate for money, therefore they wanted to get local lads back to drinking at the club house to help pay off all the debt. We all know that the team struggled in the league below, and ECP is a big step up. Apparently all Pethetick does is scream and shout.....

Rumour has it that he is only a stop gap for a year and that the club is looking for a more perminant team for the year after.

St. Stephens Brough will struggle this year, we all know that. They had a great year last year, but they over performed and they will be near the bottom this coming season.

The 3rd team need to strengthen. It is comendable that they stick with Saltash players, but their midfield is terrible. Upfront is not to bad and neither is their defence, but the most important area of the team, is terrible!! Their oldest player is 23 which is good, but they wont win Duchy prem just yet. Top four would be a good season for them. They should not even think about going up untill to EC1 untill their players have matured a bit.

You cannot blame Pethetick for grabbing this chance... anyone would have including you flintstone!! But its a step too far... one years management and no experience in this league will unfortunatly prove too big a step for him at this stage of his short career.

By the way Goose on (Blake) is the worst manager ever. Badges mean nothing, results mean everything and you dont get any!!

I think your being abit harsh there as I play in that midfield! If we are terrible then how did we get to a cup final and runners up in Division 1? What do you feel is so bad about our midfield? I will agree that we aren't the most massive of teams and a few are maybe not as physical as they could be but we are young and inexperianced. Also I am the oldest player and i'm 25.

St George - just to update you latest rumour is Dave Wilkinson to Millbrook 2nd.

In terms of the two named players I'm sure calls were made to ask them to stay but they have decided to move on and the club wishes them all the best.

If you are convinced of your facts perhaps you could name the other players you believe have left?

Guest Shanz07

You got to the final of the cup through a bit of luck and you were runners up in the league through your attack and defence....midfield was nowhere to be seen. I would be embarrassed to admit that you played there :yahoo:

Its not all about luck to get to the final of a cup you know. Anyway i'm not embarrassed to admit I played there, finished 3rd in assists and goals for us with 10 assists and 12 goals from the wing in 26 starts (Not bad for being terrible!)

Shanz07 - I wouldnt get involved in a pointless discussion. Clearly on the evidence of one person watching three games you havent got a midfield.

The fact that as you quite rightly point out that over the course of the season you gained promotion, reached a cup final, defeated the Cornwall Junior Cup winners, this following a history of promotions in previous seasons, its all irrelevant. Your season can be best summed up in your performance in three end of season games.

But dont worry, you are not alone in your crappiness.

St Stephens Borough overachieved because of our cheating pitch. The fact that the two previous seasons we won Duchy 1 and Duchy Premier and played half our games away is also irrelevant.

St Dominick are obviously also crap. The fact that the previous year they reached the Cornwall Junior Cup final and were second in the Duchy Premier is irrelevant, as is the fact that they comfortabley held their own in ECPL Div 1 and defeated the champions Torpoint in the cup. They also ran Newquay close in the Cornwall Senior Cup.

The fact is that we are all crap and we had just better accept the wise words of that football guru who is 'Who did what'.

Guest Shanz07

Shanz07 - I wouldnt get involved in a pointless discussion. Clearly on the evidence of one person watching three games you havent got a midfield.

The fact that as you quite rightly point out that over the course of the season you gained promotion, reached a cup final, defeated the Cornwall Junior Cup winners, this following a history of promotions in previous seasons, its all irrelevant. Your season can be best summed up in your performance in three end of season games.

But dont worry, you are not alone in your crappiness.

St Stephens Borough overachieved because of our cheating pitch. The fact that the two previous seasons we won Duchy 1 and Duchy Premier and played half our games away is also irrelevant.

St Dominick are obviously also crap. The fact that the previous year they reached the Cornwall Junior Cup final and were second in the Duchy Premier is irrelevant, as is the fact that they comfortabley held their own in ECPL Div 1 and defeated the champions Torpoint in the cup. They also ran Newquay close in the Cornwall Senior Cup.

The fact is that we are all crap and we had just better accept the wise words of that football guru who is 'Who did what'.

lol, well when you put it like that!

Guest GOOSE ON

Think we've all found something that we stand united on in this busy pre-season merry go round and that is the fact that "who did what" is a complete "t#*t"...............

He seems to hate everyone within a 20 mile radius of Saltash!!!

As for being angry about not cutting it at East Cornwall level which is one of the earlier comments about him, I think if you look a bit deeper he couldn't cut it at Duchy Prem level last year and was playing Duchy Div 4 - what a prospect??

Still with all this aggression that he's showing and his really hurtfull comments he's obviously a fantastic coach / manager himself so I really look forward to him coming on here and letting us all know which club he will be in charge of next season........... MUPPET !!

Guest Shanz07

Who did what - Who are you then? What games of ours did you actually see?

I saw too many. Your midfield is terrible

Ok well I take it you don't play yourself on a Saturday then to be able to see alot of our games? As for the midfield we held our own last season so say what you like, the facts are Cup Final, Runners Up in League.

Guest Shanz07

I saw too many. Your midfield is terrible

Ok well I take it you don't play yourself on a Saturday then to be able to see alot of our games? As for the midfield we held our own last season so say what you like, the facts are Cup Final, Runners Up in League.