Cornwall Football Forum

New Fixture List

Taken from the League Website.

Fixtures for 2009/10 :

The league will be publishing the fixture lists for both the Premier and East Division on Friday 12th June at Midday. The West Division will also be published on that date but this will be a provisional list which will not be confirmed until the Southern League issue the fixtures for Truro City in July.

The Draw for the 1st & 2nd Rounds of the Throgmorton Cup will be made on Monday 1st June and listed on the website by Tuesday 2nd June.

Other Cup draws will be added to the website through the summer as they become known.

The Charity Vase & Bowl fixtures will be played on Sunday 2nd August at Launceston AFC with the Charity Vase between Exeter Civil Service and Penzance kicking off at 12.30pm and the Charity Bowl between Bodmin Town and Plymouth Parkway at 3.30pm.

Guest The Judge aka RED OR DEAD

Top work by HQ, I just hope that Newquay get a few Friday night home matches as suggested by many fans to the clubs officials. If not, do clubs have the option of requesting such changes at a later date.

How much switching around will the Truro situation cause, again they are ideal candidates for Friday night matches. After the PZ example last season, it is clear that Newquay fans preferred the night games as it also allowed those who work Sats to catch matches and the regulars to watch the Combo side as well.

judge get a proper job. 3pm kick off saturdays.

I missed one game last season Dave, Plymstock away and that was due to a much needed holiday... how many did you miss ? I don't plan to miss any next season, especially Boxing Day. By the way, seen some drums for you on Ebay, will facebook the links to Linda.

Friday nights allow fans that have to work in the town on Sats to watch the SWPL team and also lets us watch the Combo side as well on Sats.

What would you know about work anyway, you get paid to prop up a shovel :thumbsup:

St Blazey v Torpoint!!! What a crowd puller!!!! :(

yeah cause blazey are one of the real giants of cornish football, get over yourself and stop living in the past

look on the brightside you shouldn't have that long to wait until your traditional boxing day fixture will be resumed, what hope have we got with millbrook!!!

Phil has made rapid progress and the SWPL fixtures will now be on the SWPL website by this Wednesday 10th.June.(AM)

Again it will be the first League in Britain to do so-excellent effort Mr. H'(in anticipation)

I am sorry to say but yesterday June 8th The Northern League (step5/6) have published their fixtures for 2009/10

The Northern League founded 1889 acclaimed as the second oldest football league in the world.

Easy trivia-What is the oldest League in world football?

It looks like the SWPL will have all fixtures on display on the SWPL website before midnight.

Good effort Phil

Guest Postie Pidge

Phil is a legend! He even managed to work around Ivybridge's request to finish their home matches before the end of January!! That is some achievement

What the hell are you on Skippy!! Talking drivel thats what!! If you havnt realised, its normally a local match on a boxing day and good friday. Torpoint is not local. The Torpoint faithful wont come come to watch if its played, in August, october, xmas day or any other day!!

Good job the Blazey will be out in force!! :P

What the hell are you on Skippy!! Talking drivel thats what!! If you havnt realised, its normally a local match on a boxing day and good friday. Torpoint is not local. The Torpoint faithful wont come come to watch if its played, in August, october, xmas day or any other day!!

Hang on Blazey boys, you wanted to be in the big league and Torpoint are a better supported club than you lot. If you want local derbies, I'm sure St Austell will welcome you back in 2010/11in Div 1 West. Of course IF you stay up, you may have us at the festive season, then you would know what travelling support is all about !

Hang on Blazey boys, you wanted to be in the big league and Torpoint are a better supported club than you lot. If you want local derbies, I'm sure St Austell will welcome you back in 2010/11in Div 1 West. Of course IF you stay up, you may have us at the festive season, then you would know what travelling support is all about !

MUPPET. How on earth would you know about attendances in a league you don't even watch? Last season we took between 20 and 30 to Torpoint. With the renewed interest this year (local boys, etc), we can expect to take 30 - 50. As for the Points support at Blaise Park, "you could have come in a taxi" gets sung every year.

That Vodka and coke is making your eyes go all funny Judge!! Double vision i think!! :D

We look forward to our Dartmouth Trip on the opening saturday, a weekend in Torquay awaits the green of Blazey!! You enjoy your match in Foxhole or where ever you are!! :P

Guest optical

It'll be interesting to see if the champions get beaten on the opening day by a Tavi side going for their FOURTH straight victory at priory park

MUPPET. How on earth would you know about attendances in a league you don't even watch? Last season we took between 20 and 30 to Torpoint. With the renewed interest this year (local boys, etc), we can expect to take 30 - 50. As for the Points support at Blaise Park, "you could have come in a taxi" gets sung every year.

well if what i hear is true any optimism amongst the blazey faithful might have expired by boxing day with your new manager struggling to get players with the budget he has :P

Might have been a more preferable option to pair us with Liskeard and Saltash with Torpoint for these fixtures.

as is said in my first post referring to traditional boxing day fixtures you used to play st austell and we used to play millbrook, and for as long as i can remember liskeard saltash as always been one of those traditional fixtures and couldn't imagine either side opting to play another team on those days

Guest bigdawg1

With the renewed interest this year (local boys, etc), we can expect to take 30 - 50.

thats funny im sure near enough the hole team form last year have commited to stay apart from a few of the fringe players

Thats one of the main downsides to this league set-up , alot of the old traditional derby games are no-longer around

Shouldn't matter who you are playing or where and when, if you promote the game locally, people will come regardless. Ask Truro fans if they would like a 'local' derby in SWPL or in the Gas Prem, progress is the name of the game and the price Blazey are having to pay is a festive game against a side from the same county. In terms of SWPL Prem, any game involving two Cornish sides is 'local'.

Newquay have had Boxing Day AWAY games against Callington and Penryn in recent seasons (SWL) so what makes Blazey so goddam special ?

Who said anything about us being special? We no we are, we just dont go on about it!! :D

All I meant was when we were drawn to play Torpoint was that I cant see that match adding many to the attendance. It might do, but im bothered. Ill be there with the ever faithful and that will be that.

And if anyone thinks im complaining about the new set up, think again. The old SWL had it fair share of rubish in it. Personally Id like to see the best grounds in the top division. For example, Port, Newquay, Exmouth, Torrington (dont no what league their in now). Maybe even Barnstaple!!

Grounds like Ivybridge dont do the league justice. I hope they do meet the standards set out. But as we speak its just a grassed area with lines added to form a pitch. That to me shouldnt have been allowed. Say what you like, but that isnt good enough at this level.

And ill add my thoughts on local players. Great if they do play at local clubs, but if anyone is available, wants to play for the green shirt and will do a job, then let them play!!

Looking forward to the season already. Ive seen the pitch looking superb tonight and the land behind the clubhouse leveled and fenced off to be prepared as a training area. Looking good already.

Dartmouth here we come!! :thumbsup:

Nice to see the Judge is back with a side of him we are much more used to seeing. I wonder if the return of this hostile and jealous attitude has anything to do with recent developments at Blaise Park, which some predict could see us challenging for a top six place again.

What makes us so special? The fact that we single-handedly kept the profile of Cornish football high through our achievements in the late nineties and early naughties. Love us or hate us, the whole of football in Cornwall has us to thank for that.

Barring Truro City, who are now away and gone, St Blazey are still the biggest club in Cornwall (perhaps closely followed by Penzance), about that there is no doubt. Having travelled the SWPL circuit last season, the only side with a bigger following home or away was Buckland, and they're not in Cornwall.

Judge, you're looking a bit silly at the moment - a bit like a Parkway fan having a punt at Argyle. Get yourselves promotion, then we can start drawing comparisons. In the meantime, enjoy Plymstock pasties, Perranporth beach and our wonderful new town of St Austell :)

Nice to see the Judge is back with a side of him we are much more used to seeing.

St Blazey are still the biggest club in Cornwall (perhaps closely followed by Penzance), about that there is no doubt. Having travelled the SWPL circuit last season, the only side with a bigger following home or away was Buckland, and they're not in Cornwall.

Poor deluded soul, Blazey are not even the biggest club in what used to be Restormel. No disrespect to the loyal fans who were there during the Mewton era and have stuck by them in the barren seasons since, but get used to it !

If you base your statement on league position, you were not the highest placed SWPL Cornish club. Home gates, urm nope 83 average was 2nd worst in the Prem, only Liskeard saving you. Ground, nice but not best.

Newquay gave Millbrook their biggest gate of the season despite it being a Friday 6.45pm k.o. Dobwalls, Hayle and Foxhole their 2nd highest gate after their most local Derbys. 2nd again at Truro City and we were 3rd highest gates at Camelford, Penzance, Plymstock & Vospers. On top of that we more often than not outnumbered the home support, not just made up the small but vocal away contingent. I don't recall the last time, Blazey v Austell got 489 or 737 for the local derby, back in the 70's I should imagine.

Give it up Dan and get used to being the small fish, although I'm sure you will do better this season and may even scrape into the top 10 and possible (but unlikely) FA Cup entry.

Guest Postie Pidge

Nice to see the Judge is back with a side of him we are much more used to seeing. I wonder if the return of this hostile and jealous attitude has anything to do with recent developments at Blaise Park, which some predict could see us challenging for a top six place again.

What makes us so special? The fact that we single-handedly kept the profile of Cornish football high through our achievements in the late nineties and early naughties. Love us or hate us, the whole of football in Cornwall has us to thank for that.

Barring Truro City, who are now away and gone, St Blazey are still the biggest club in Cornwall (perhaps closely followed by Penzance), about that there is no doubt. Having travelled the SWPL circuit last season, the only side with a bigger following home or away was Buckland, and they're not in Cornwall.

Judge, you're looking a bit silly at the moment - a bit like a Parkway fan having a punt at Argyle. Get yourselves promotion, then we can start drawing comparisons. In the meantime, enjoy Plymstock pasties, Perranporth beach and our wonderful new town of St Austell

Danny boy, I would think again on that statement. Although going through tough times at the moment, I would say on the whole Falmouth Town are/have been a much bigger club than St Blazey.

Average positions in the old South Western League would probably state that Falmouth would be higher, coupled with the winnings of the League Cup.

After winning four consecutive SWL titles, the club progressed up the footballing ladder, winning the Western League four years on the trot as well.

Falmouth have reached the 1st round proper of the FA Cup on three different occasions in the 1960s and until Truro City's success in winning the FA Vase, it was Falmouth who had previously progressed the furthest, reaching a quarter final replay in their first season of entry.

Also despite many blips, the club has not had to seek re-election since the early 1950s - St Blazey had to in 1996 and had it not been for Appledore and Okehampton withdrawing.......

Give it up Dan and get used to being the small fish

Only thing is Judge - St Blazey are still a Division above Newquay! All very well getting people in through the gates, but it's on the pitch that counts come the end!

So does that make Stoke a bigger club than Newcastle ? Or Bradford bigger than Argyle, League position or gates are not the point, we are talking about the bigger club as a whole and Blazey just don't make it as the Biggest Cornish club using Dans words or any statistics you may wish to use.

Hope to get them in the Vase and of course if the silly buggers don't get relegated next season, we will see them in the Prem in 2010/11 and yes I will take bets on it !!!

Agree with Pidge on the History side of things.

Valid points from Pidge - perhaps we could say St Blazey, Falmouth and Penzance are the "big three" of Cornish football based on the past half century.

I see Newquay as part of a very respectable "second tier" of football in Cornwall, which includes sides such as Liskeard, Porthleven, Lanson, Torpoint etc. No shame there then. Of course the Judge is always going to fight his corner but it's important to know your place.

I think most people agree that SWPL attendances figures are largely a farce. My statement is based on what I have seen travelling around the grounds. Only Buckland and Bodmin (the derby effect) had a larger crowd than what we are used to seeing week in, week out.

Hold your horses with comments about the FA Cup. While it looks almost certain we will not play a part next season, nothing is 100% sure until the list of entrants is released. As for 2010/1011, we don't even know what the qualifying criteria is yet!

Sorry but can't see your reckoning for including Penzance in your "big three"!

I would say that Saltash and Liskeard hold far better position in the ranking through their League title successes at higher level.

However, without a doubt, when it comes to the biggest club in Cornish Non-League stature it has to be Falmouth Town - everyone connects Cornwall and Falmouth together when you talk to the true non-league football followers from around the country.

And no wonder with their run of 8 consecutive titles (4 SWL, 4WL) still an English record at 'senior' level.

:D

Really, does it matter whos won what and done what?

At the end of the day, what i want to see is progression, not only by St Blazey but by all clubs to make this a really good league. We need to see the best grounds in the prem and have clubs continuing to improve facilities. Great to see St Blazey improving training facilities, Torpoints lights now in place etc. This is what matters. Whats won is won, weve enjoyed the moments, now its time to look forward.

As for next season, i firmly believe it could be as close as ever. St Blazey will push for top 6 I hope, Bodmin should be strong, Falmouth are making the move again, (but what happening off the pitch to help the club), Saltash, Parkway, Buckland and Tavi will all be pushing top 6 also. Cant see one club walking away with it this year.

Just a comment on the western league. We hear how clubs have gone up and won that league. Surly no one is convinced that is a higher quality league than the SWPL. Its just location that keep it above where we are.

Bring on the Dartmouth. :thumbsup:

Guest Postie Pidge

In the 1970s there was no Western League Division 1 - that came about in (correct me if I'm wrong) 1980.

The Western League was clearly stronger then, although that remains to be seen now.

The attendance levels in SWPL 1E+W are higher on average than Western 1 which is on the same par as the SWPL Premier.

And Dan I think that Newquay would be classed as better than Penzance in historical values - even if the Magpies did once boast a membership of 3000!

There was no official Pyramid in those days and the Football structure was-

Football League Div.4

Southern League Premier

Southern League Div.1 S/M

Western League

In other words there was no Conference or Conference South in place.

Although winning the Western League I know Falmouth never applied for Southern League as those days it was by way of application then the 'closed shop' vote by clubs.

Reading reports of the day the attendance needed would have been 1000 to sustain Southern/L and the Bickland gate was rapidly declining from a 600 in their prime.

Hey we are way off the topic title