Cornwall Football Forum

sunday league

Guest Urban Spaceman

At the moment there is a major crisis as far as officials are concerned.

Dave James, the Secretary, has, understandably, had enough of the one or two ignorant, abusive and unhelpful individuals who seem to think that anyone concerned with football administration is fair game for abuse.

If you're one of those who may have contributed to that, may you be ashamed of yourself.

The treasurer, has unfortunately, had to move up country and our really supportive results man is pretty well tied up running one of the large local clubs, and so would struggle to continue to provide the same support in the future.

That means that the league is, as we speak, left with a Chairman and an Assistant Secretary on the "top table".

That just won't happen.

Each year, we ask for volunteers to step forward to help run the league and there is a clamour as everyone in the room takes a pace backwards, leaving the same three or four to shoulder responsibility.

In the next few days I'll be ringing each and every club asking "not what the league can do for them, but what they can do for the league." (To paraphrase JFK.)

If there's no positive response, then the League is in real trouble.

It is a successful League and is very enjoyable to play in and, even, administer. It'll be a great shame if it fails because we can't find two or three people who are prepared to put in a little time to the game that they love.

We need, a Secretary, a Treasurer, a Results man, a Registration Secretary.

And, above all, a change in mindset of clubs and players so that they start to realise that the League functions for their benefit, and can only be successful if they support it properly. Football, historically, has tolerated, even encouraged poor administration, cheating "if you can get away with it" and a lack of respect for any officials. (The "Respect" campaign oozes irony!) At grass-roots level, this is unbelieveably STUPID.

PM or phone if you can help.

Guest Luffy

The problem that football faces is that most of the people who give up their time to run clubs just do not have the time to help run a leauge as well, especially if the club has several teams. Running a league is not easy as their is quite a bit of organising to be done. This can also be said in running a club. Good Luck in your search for people to help run the league but I think you may find that those running their clubs will find it difficult to do both.

We need, a Secretary, a Treasurer, a Results man, a Registration Secretary.

Just out of interest, apart from the obvious, what does each post require from the person doing the job?

The best solution is to call me and talk it over.

The Secretary is the main person who oversees the running of the League. In the absence of other candidates, I am happy to put myself forward for the job.

The treasurer needs to be numerate and organised. the main workload comes in at the start of the season when clubs pay for affiliation and County F.A. demand their fees, and at the end of the season when trophies have be sorted and final bills paid and the accounts reconciled for checking. During the season, fines letters need to be sent out and the money collected and banked. As clubs are so honest and organised, this is hardly a job. (not)

The Registration Secretary takes over a computer file of players registrations, updates it (a big job at the start of the season) and checks it against teamsheets. and fines for teamsheet offences passed to Treasurer.

The results man, receives the results by phone on Sunday. (From some clubs!) and those results get entered onto the Mittoo website. Clubs not phoning results through - Treasurer told to send out fines.

If you could help with any of this - or anything else for that matter, PM me for a phone number and give me a call.

None of the jobs are huge, but are vitally important to keep the League running smoothly.

old as gits Was it this time last year that a certain person namely NORMAN BURNETT was ousted from the treasurer,s position, by a conversation before the AGM? So that your "mate" could become treasurer. and now your league is left in the lurch. The word RESPECT can work in other ways maybe IF you showed Norman some respect you could now give him a call in your hour of need.

May I say that, as a pleasant surprise, there has been a great response to the request for some help with the administration of the Sunday League.

At last we may be able to have a League where the work and responsibility is shared properly, rather than two or three picking up all the problems.

Many thanks to those that have, already contacted me. Any further offers will be gratefully received - there's loads to be done and there is a reall opportunity for you to get involved with football admin at grass roots level.

The crisis would seem to be over.

Maybe the era of criticising while contributing nothing, is on the wane.

As of today, we have the following teams that have indicated that they'll be in the West Cornwall Sunday League next season.

1. Booters

2. Camborne Park

3. Crowntown with Crowan

4. Gloweth United

5. Halsetown

6. M/Pad United

7. Penzance Astro

8. Shortlanesend

9. Star

10. Storm

11. Threemilestone

12. Tremough

13. Truro GWRSA

14. West Cornwall

15. Wendron

There are, just about, enough for two divisions. Another couple of teams would make it a great League. Any ideas? Contact me.

why cant it all be one league?

never get the games played. sunday lrague as it says is played on sundays. with league and cup games a team could play best part of 40 games. be impossible. need slightly bigger leagues idve thought but can only do it if the teams are there. wasnt enough league games last year and it makes the divisional cups a bit short.

Two points from this thread.

1. The AGM is 23rd June at 7.30 P.M., Wendron Football Club.

2. The maximum workable division size for Sunday football is 10 for Division one and 12 for Division two.

To complete matches with divisions that large, there needs to be a reasonable weather profile around January and February.

The biggest disruption to fixtures tends to be the County Cup which, if a match is postponed, must roll-over to the next week. Division one clubs tend to go further in the Sunday Cup and the League Cup, hence the difference between the divisions. It just works like that.

Also Div 2 teams just seem to get their matches played!