Jump to content
Cornwall Football Forum

Match Report - Help for Heroes Charity Match

Recommended Posts

Following Mr Deacon's threats to deselect me from the trophy winning side next season and the fact that I was withdrawn early from the game to ensure that I did not get injured and put the match report under threat, here it is...!

Team Deacon 4 - 2 Team Chown

Sunday 24th May - Howard Beauchump Recreation Ground, Carharrack.

The stunning weather over the Bank Holiday weekend could not have been more fitting for this 'help for heroes' charity game. Dave Deacon and Richard Chown went head to head, selecting a vast array of players from local leagues and Mark Leah and Barry Moyle prepared a fantastic surface for a cracking game of football. News filtered through that Rappo would sadly be missing due to a broken nose. Chown had started the pre-match hype with a performance Kevin Keegan would be proud of, however, Deacon opted to allow the football to do the talking. If the match was won based upon the warm-up, Chown's side would have walked it. Deacon, however, opted to deploy the tactics of 'have a few shots and kick the ball around'. Highly influential stuff.

From early on it was clear that it was going to be an open game with plenty of goals and entertainment. Chown's flying winger Joshua Sims drilled a perfectly executed long shot that was turned around the post by a full-stretch Jason Chapman. St Dennis striker Lee Rickard was asked to contribute an early goal and it wasn't long before he opened the scoring, calmly slotting the ball past Paul Hider after excellent work from Richie Ward. It was that kind of composure that saw Rickard bag four goals in the recently replayed Junior Cup final.

Despite the midday sun, Deacon's midfield talisman Jon Row was working hard and Row could have put daylight between the teams, missing a header from a Michael Rabone corner and also bundling team-mate John Bird off the ball when well placed to score from close-range. Deacon's side were made to pay for their lack of finishing when Joshua Sims cut inside on the left and looped a cross/shot over Jason Chapman for the equaliser. It was deserving reward for Sims who had worked tirelessly on the left to create an opening. Just moments later the momentum could have changed when another centre from Sims was turned against the post by Liam Patterson with Chapman beaten. That proved to be the two main chances for Chown's men, Deacon selected a solid defensive line with Pete Davey comfortably holding the fort and marshalling his colleauges. A key moment occurred just before half-time when Gary Pascoe went clean through on goal, as he looked to slide the ball past Paul Hider, the Launceston 'keeper appeared to catch his man and the ball crept agonisingly wide. All eyes turned to the Stig who waved away the shouts and declared that it wasn't enough of an assault to warrant a spot-kick! It is rumoured that Stig wanted a draw and a penalty shoot out, however, the end of season bonus of a free pint and some cottage pie was just too much for the man in black.

With Chapman moving on to the supplementary cup final with Falmouth (congratulations chaps), Si Winnan donned the gloves for what may be his last game (for at least three weeks). Rickard was again able to show his pace and finishing ability, after a long clearance, he latched on to the loose ball and outstripped Chris Breasley to again slot calmly past Hider for his second. With the momentum firmly behind Deacon's men, a number of attacks followed and Hider had to be at his best to prevent goalbound strikes from James Miller and Lee Rickard. Which is a lot more than what could be said about the 25 yard strike from Michael Rabone that sailed high over the bar and into Sherwood Forest. The search party to find the ball was abandoned and a search party to find the guys who went to find the ball commenced.

At 2-1 the game seemed in the balance, and with the eccentric Winno deciding to sprint (you heard it here first) to the corner of his area to close down a cross, an early ball found Stu Reynolds who executed a perfect overhead kick that flashed wide from close range. Deacon returned the impressive Duncan Gillett to the affray and within a minute he had carved out some space on the left, cut inside and managed to squeeze the ball under Hider from close range. At 3-1, many teams would have crumbled yet Chown got animated on the touchline and demanded an improvement from his team. The response was almost immediate, St Day's Darren Buckley rose highest in the area to head against the crossbar with Winno seemingly beaten and Winno was then forced to pull off a wonder save, diving low to his right to prevent a goalbound header from Stu Reynolds. Chown's men were then back in the game within the final minutes when Liam Patterson lifted a left-foot dipping volley from the corner of the area past the helpless Winno for the goal of the game.

Just as it looked like a comeback could be on the cards, Lee Rickard worked his way into the area and turned the defender, drilling a low shot into the bottom corner for an excellent hat-trick. Not even the Stig (and a double portion of cottage pie) could influence that one.

Much to the delight of his team, Deacon collected the trophy and shook hands with arch-rival Chown. Next year perhaps, Rich? Jon Row collected man of the match for his effort and determination in midfield, edging out Davey, Rickard and Bird who also contributed excellent performances for Deacon's side.

A huge thank you to everyone involved, from players, officials (Eddie Corcoran, David James and Nigel Jewell), physio Tamsin Jobson and everybody that turned out to raise money for a really important cause.

There was only ever one team in it to be honest (see you next year, Dave!)


Paul Hider (Launceston SWPL Prem)

Craig Moyle (Carharrack FHFL)

Darren Buckley (St Day JCCL)

Danny Andrewartha (Robartes Inn Mining)

Chris Breasley (RNAS Culdrose JCCL)

Matt Mitchell (Spice of Life Mining)

Bill Lamin (Crowntown Sunday League)

Joshua Sims (Truro City SWPL W) *Wildcard Choice

Rob Hoskings (Perranporth Duchy)

Matt Nottle (St Cleer Duchy)

Josh Kemp (Porthlevern SWPL D1 & Cornwall U-18’s Captain)

Paul Banks (Launceston ECPL)

Liam Patterson (Threemilestone Mining)

Stu Renoylds (Porthlevern SWPL D1)


Jason Chapman (Falmouth Town SWPL Prem)

Symon Winnan (Helston)

Tim Hooper (St Stephen ECPL)

Andy Sincock (St Stephen ECPL)

Peter Davey (Penryn Athletic SWPL D1)

John Bird (St Just JCCL)

Gary Pascoe (Chacewater FHFL)

Jamie Marles (Crowntown - Sunday League)

James Miller (Penzance SWPL D1)

Duncan Gillett (Mawnan FHFL)

Jon Row (Chacewater FHFL)

Jowan May (Gulval Mining)

Lee Rickard (St Dennis Duchy)

Richie Ward (Redruth Utd Mining)

Mike Rabone (Newquay) * Wildcard Choice

Gary Kay (St Day)

Referee: Eddie Corcoran aka The Stig

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Create New...