Cornwall Football Forum

Top Combo Side in Penwith...The Tinners !

Following the news of St Ives' 4-1 capitulation to the mighty Wendron Reserves at Fortress Underlane, it is wonderful that St Just AFC are the undisputed Top Combo Side in the far west, secure in 5th place.

Penzance mainly-first-team 1-3 St Just

St Just 4-3 Penzance

St Ives 1-0 St Just

St Just 2-1 St Ives

(Cup quarter-final: St Just 2-1 St Ives)

St Just 3-1 Hayle

Hayle 1-2 St Just

St Just 3-1 Ludgvan

Ludgvan 1-4 St Just.

Well done you Tinners.....you've won the ones that matter !

:clapper::thumbsup::c: :D

Guest Reginald Perrin

Its good to see that people don't mind under achieving, as long as they beat thier nearest geographical neighbours :c:

Or

Its good to see a team like St Just Over achieving :c:

Guest Reginald Perrin

Rodney you finished 5th but you were awarded 3 points by the league. Without those you would have finished 8th behind St Ives and Penzance.

Default Default Default Default Default Default Default Default Default :c:

Congratulations again, another 3 pts Rodney Beer has won St Just - this time not by the offside rule but by complaining about a waterlogged pitch :c:

Rodney you finished 5th but you were awarded 3 points by the league. Without those you would have finished 8th behind St Ives and Penzance.

Default Default Default Default Default Default Default Default Default :c:

Congratulations again, another 3 pts Rodney Beer has won St Just - this time not by the offside rule but by complaining about a waterlogged pitch :c:

1. Not strictly true Paul, we were awarded the points due to Porthleven not fulfilling the fixture. Had the game been played, who's to say we wouldn't have won the 3 points anyway!?

2. Reggie, I think you'll find that whilst Rodney did moan 'a little bit' :ninja: on the forum about the circumstances around the game being called off, the points were awarded at the combo meeting, which Rodney wasn't party too, as it was decided by the committee, not by Rodney, that Port had acted wrongly.

Guest Man on the Post

So St. Just are the best Combo side in Penwith! What an achievement, surely it can't get any better than that! Did they receive any cup, medals or prize money? :D

So St. Just are the best Combo side in Penwith! What an achievement, surely it can't get any better than that! Did they receive any cup, medals or prize money? :D

Nope, not a trophy, nor a penny in prize money. Incidentally that's the same we've spent on players and expenses, nothing.

Still, despite the lack of silverware, we're pretty pleased to have finished 5th in the league, regardless of who we did/didn't finish above. Our highest finish for 4 years. And we reached the league cup semis to boot, losing to eventual winners Perranporth. So all in all, not a bad season in my opinon.

I know Rodney is a wind-up merchant but his love of the Tinners is unquestionable and he's right to be pleased, i'd say. I'd challenge any team who were languishing around the foot of the table for three seasons running not to call a 5th place finish a good season...

Number Seven !!! :o

Me, a wind-up merchant ? You must be confusing me with those cheating linesmen they sometimes get in the Carrick and Kerrier badlands..... :lol:

I merely quote facts. Having allegedly lost three points for St Just last season, it's natural justice to help the JCCL committee to give them back to the Tinners with a bit of my characteristic honesty on the forum. I know that Vital James will be particularly delighted that justice was done in this case, on account of his being such a fine administrator of integrity who shows no bias in favour of Porthleven whatsoever.

And hey, I didn't tell Kev Richards to come on here and sing like a canary !

No offence, Kev, have a nice summer ! I know I will !

Count your fingers if you shake hands with Vital, now.

Tinners 60, Pies 50-odd despite TAP Tap Tap Trevor !!!...... :clapper::clapper::yahoo::thumbsup:

Especially good summer after Barca win 3-0 tomorrow night !:drink: :drink:

• 2 weeks later...

YEAH MUST ADMIT TINNERS HAD A GOOD SEASON. BUT I CANT SEE IT LASTING THOUGH.

WATCH OUT FOR HAYLE NEXT SEASON, YOU JUST MIGHT SEE THEM IN THE TOP FOUR. THIER YOUTH SYSTEM IS JUST ABOUT TO KICK IN. HOW IS THE TINNERS YOUTH SYSTEM GOING

It's going really well, Joe. They're off of the Lambrini and wkd's now and have moved up to the white lightning. Next stop - special brew.

Their spelling has improved too, but it will take them ages to paint the grandstand with only those spray cans!

On a serious note, no youth set-up at St Just. It has been tried a few times but we just don't get enough interest for it and have other good set-ups within fairly local distance such as yours at Hayle, which admittedly is very good. You'll be playing Premiership next...

Womderful thing, youth football. Wendron, Ludgvan, Troon in the past,Hayle as you say, do excellent work with kids on Sunday mornings etc. Then they reach the age of white lightning and scstasy and can't get up till 2 in the afternoon. Then their old man kicks them out because they are a drain on resources and they need some casual building work or something like that in order to eat. And then some nice Mr Bandit the Builder or Mr Trustworthy the College Manager says they can have a pint and a pasty and a lift every week on condition they sign their name on this funny little form and all of a sudden they're Combo league superstars swith one of the Russell Group clubs. And Wendron and Ludgvan and the rest are left feeling very unappreciated.

And all the old men stand around saying it wasn't like that in my day and we used to hop on one leg from Trewellard to Bojewyan just for the honour of the village and the privilege of cleaning out the dressing room and if you didn't catch the seven o'clock donkey from Tregeseal you found yourself on the bench in the West Penwith League....and you tell the youngsters that today, they won't believe you ! They would just go shopping instead of playing at all !

I wish they would answer landlines, though, 'cos the cost of tapping up on mobiles is spiralling out of control....just ask Trevor !

They may not currently have a youth set up at St Just, but i remember the days when they did, and it produced a lot of very good local young players, the likes of Dave Burt, Scott May, Darren Ball and the 2 Way brothers, i had many a battle with when we visited on tour from the Scillies. And St Just reserve team has a crop of good young players on their way through as well, with a few breaking into the 1st team already. And while Hayle may have a great youth system now, thanks to allsorts of government grants, where were they while the likes of St Just and Alverton Athletica were bringing players like this through, oh thats right, they didnt even have a senior team to progress onto. Well done to Hayle for being 20 years behind everyone else!!

you tell him joe,its only coz the old farts used the old pals act to prevent progressive sides like hayle getting into senior football :angry2: have a thouhgt for poor old carharrack,thankfully systems now in place to stop such travestys from happening :clapper: welcome back troon :thumbsup: their withdrawal was only way hayle got into senior football :wacko:

I'm not denying the fact that they have good young players coming through, in fact good on them, its the fact that many west cornwall sides have already done this and due to financial restraints have had to pack it in, so the mockery of it was out of line. As i said, 20 years ago many of the west penwith sides had very good under 12s, under14s and under 16s sides. The only question i would ask now joe and dan, is how far will the youngsters progress now that Gary has taken over?? Surely he has players who he will bring with him? And if the Hayle football club Ltd provide suitable finances, who else will he bring to Hayle? If they dont get the opportunities, surely they will move on to other clubs?? Lookin forward to your replies fellas.

Part of the reorganisation of the club involves the appointment of perry bullock as director of football with the vision of making hayle "a local community family football club with values and principles"which gary and wayne were made aware of and agreed to prior to their appointment last night.

Obviously gary will bring in some players to strengthen the club but with 4 teams at present a lot of emphasis will be put on improving and developing local and youth players within the club.Not going to be easy but with a voluntary superb support team of past and present players including dave n,jie also involved we hope to achieve this.

Superb committee and excellent groundsman in ian gregory and good managers in place for all mens teams, i can,t think of a better club to be at and any hayle and district players that may have left for whatever reasons in the past please feel free to return as we do want and need you. :c:

:c: :yahoo::yahoo:

"Values and principles", thast's my kind of language ! I'll bet Hayle will have a "strategic plan for a football delivery model ensuring progression in response to stakeholder demand" any day. Perry's just the boy to implement that kind of thing. Remember him losing 4-1 down St Just and going fighting mad, with his hair looking like it had just been through a Van Der Graf generator, all electrocuted, like ...ideal !

When everybody else around you is demented already, why not ? What we need in local football is good Methodist morality. Any time you want a sermon preached on the centre spot, hell, brimstone and teeth specially provided for gnashing by an excellent local dentist, you know whom to call !

By the way, what's the policy of the new Ayatollahs at Hayle on behaviour after the sixth Newquay goal last season ?? !!! :drink:

PS. Tinners are STILL the top Combo side in Penwith and completely unbeaten by any Penwith side since mid-August 2008...INCREDIBLE !

STARS, every one of them, stuffing Penzance again and again !

Andrew Curnow, Billy Baker, Adam Flood, God, Tom Dann, Alex Johnson, Stuart Nicholls, Karl Williams, Tim George, God, Jon Bird, Matt Gendall, Stefan Smith, Neil Curnow, God, Chris Curnow, Charlie Jameson, Shane Richards,Tom Mannering, God.

:yahoo::yahoo: :yahoo:

Has happened ! I think he was with Mousehole then......

My memory goes back a long way. Jack Strick's winning chip in the 1970 Combo Cup Final was a beauty, for instance. I gave a speech about it at my wedding: the in-laws weren't impressed.

Chelsea will win the Champions League in 2010. St Just already won the European Cup in the subbuteo league I played against myself in 1968, beating Ferencvaros 7-5 in the final. Strick scored all seven and they came back from four down !

You need to engage with the real world like me ! :drink:

Sadly, one of our supporters is being buried on Friday and I might be moving out of Cornwall. However, regarding Hooch for the Pooch, Rolo the cocker spaniel is still well up for three away points at Fortress Hayle, although she does tend to wind up the Curnows' guard dogs and send them a bit random so you don't want them and Rolo on the same pitch. Mawther is looking forward to next season but you mustn't upset her by swearing or anything or she'll call down another lightning bolt, which could seriously affect lcoal clubhouse insurance: look what it did to our stand !

:D

weve also had a fight with fire on our changing rooms. sadly it wasnt the hand of god but the hand of some toerag, who should be strung up on a saturday in front of the Hayle faithful and their dogs. mindless morons like that deserve it. perhaps we could borrow the curnow guard dogs

perry remembers his last appearance at lafrowda rodders,a couple of years back he played for penzance aged about 50 and inspired them to their first win there in many a year.a nice little stroll around for him and only got in a sweat when mawther asked him to come back and run the local shop,she said not been the same since he left :D