Cornwall Football Forum

Shocking. What would have happened if NNA needed not only a win (I guess they get the points) but a few goals too in their quest to win the league championship on goal difference. Fine the team £200 for not being able to fulfil their fixture.....I bet they could muster together 11 footballers tomorrow if that was the case.

I play for Newlyn and in the last 5/6 weeks we've had 3 games cancelled against Threemilestone a few weeks ago and St Agnes last week, and Mount Ambrose this weekend. All these teams (bar Mount Ambrose who actually played Halsetown with 9 or 10 players the other week???) have played fixtures since then, and we only get the 3 points and no goals meaning our superior goal difference has now been reduced greatly, so are last game is a potential banana skin...

I think the teams should be either made to play, fined or at least the team willing to play given a set result of 3-0 all something. It seems they get away with just no points and the teams willing to play suffer, especially in a title run in as we are...

As far as I understand it the Mining League did try to change the rules a couple of years ago to award 2-0 wins in situations where clubs can't raise a side but this was blocked by the Cornwall FA. So the rule remains 3 points and 0-0.

This has happened three times to Newlyn in the last seven games (and I believe once to Chacewater too). While all the other clubs have had their reasons, it's just not fair to the players of Newlyn or Chacewater if the title ends up being decided by points gained without kicking a ball or goals not scored in games that were called off when the race has been neck and neck between us all season.

As far as I understand it the Mining League did try to change the rules a couple of years ago to award 2-0 wins in situations where clubs can't raise a side but this was blocked by the Cornwall FA. So the rule remains 3 points and 0-0.

This has happened three times to Newlyn in the last seven games (and I believe once to Chacewater too). While all the other clubs have had their reasons, it's just not fair to the players of Newlyn or Chacewater if the title ends up being decided by points gained without kicking a ball or goals not scored in games that were called off when the race has been neck and neck between us all season.

Mount Ambrose it seems can put a team out mid week no prob but weekends cant- makes you ask the question why? and where do the extra players come from?

Guest Norry

that's the problem....football,and cricket do not mix...players should stick to their guns as far as loyalty goes just because cricket fixtures and football fixtures collide,they should honour each accordingly. if the football season starts and cricket is almost finishing,then see out the cricket.if football season is ending,and cricket just starting,then see out the football....too many players like to play both sports,but congestion is the problem,if a team is not doing well at the end of a season,they will probably just go to cricket......it's about time both sports were kept apart.. i feel sorry for both newlyn and chacewater,that the failure of teams to fulfill their obligation to field a team.could cost either dearly.....the answer is simple.....1.fine the club..2.three points awarded..3.give the turning up team a 1-0 win. it's about time teams towed the line over their failures to fill the fixture...

Guest Benny4

as shocking as it is, it gives us lads at chacewater some hope, if school of mines field the same team next week as they did against us today, i honestly think that they could turn newlyn over, s-o-m were awesome today and only for the fact that they never converted there chances and we did was the difference, if they finished half there chances today it would have been a different story, luckily tho we at chacewater played our game and finished our chances, which weren't half as many as s-o-m had, they were that good, hats off to them, and good luck next week, i for one will be there supporting s-o-m, they win were champs

For sportsman who play football and cricket its hard as the seasons do overlap, but if teams have nothin to play for then wats the point in playin the football game... u cant win a cricket league in may but u can lose one!!! so if u have nothin to play for in a football league then u might as well play cricket as its a short enough season as it is especially when its rain effected.

Guest Norry

IF THAT THE CASE,,,WHAT IF THE SITUATION IS REVERSED....ARE YOU THEN SAYING IT'S OK TO DO AS U PLEASE,,AND SOD THE SITUATION,AS IS THE CASE WITH NEWLYN AND CHACEWATER,WHO ALL SEASON HAVE BATTLED IT OUT,,ONLY FOR THE TITLE TO BE RESOLVED,BY THE ISSUE THAT THEIR OPPONENTS NOT BOTHERING TO TURN UP.COS THEIRS NOTHING TO PLAY FOR,,IF THATS THE CASE WERE ALL WASTING OUR TIME,PLAYING THIS SO CALLED WONDERFUL GAME....THAT KIND OF ATTITUDE STINKS,IF U BELIVE IN THAT POLICY.. IT'S TO EASY TO TURN YOUR BACKS,AND TAKE THE EASY WAY OUT.....

i do see where u r comin from here and it can be a pain as in this situation.... bt as a football and cricket player myself u can understand my views on this topic... i think the problem here is football and cricket are both played on saturdays. i dont think teams would have a problem gettin sides together if these football league games were fixtured for mid week games instead of saturdays once the cricket and football season overlap. as players would still be able to play both sports

football goes on for best part of 10months a year, cricket for 4 with probably a month of that rained off, cant blame anybody for playing cricket and not football at the start of the cricket season. I can assure you a lot of players do finish the football season and it makes the 1st month of the cricket rubbish as teams call off cricket matches due to player unavailablility or play with weakened teams. Itys quite obvious that football goes on too long through the year, it always has done but is much worse these days. As for teams cancelling it is difficult to award points and goal difference. i guess what you could do is look at the league positions of the 2 teams and maybe award a goal difference accordingly on an average if anybody could be bothered to work that out