Cornwall Football Forum

Seagulls begin search for new first team manager

MOUSEHOLE AFC are looking for a new first-team manager after caretaker boss Mark Trevail this week asked the club to find a replacement to take over from him on a permanent basis, writes Peter Heyman.

Trevail was appointed caretaker manager of the first-team in the early part of last season after the then incumbent management duo of Jeff Richardson and Darren Woodard resigned for family reasons.

Despite a lack of financial resources, the 34-year-old player manager then guided the Seagulls to a respectable 12th place in the Carlsberg SWPL Division One West table.

Part of the reason for Trevail's request is that he and his partner Sarah are expecting their first child in September. But he was keen to stress that he felt it was also in the best interests of the club for a new face to develop the squad further.

"I don't think it's right for the club to be a closed shop and we have got to open the door to any newcomer who really wants to do the job," he said. "Anybody who comes in will get plenty of help in developing the fine group of first and second team players we have here.

"But it's a two-person job really and it has been hard work trying to do it all myself, as well as playing and taking training."

Trevail also fulfils other important roles at the club as both chairman and treasurer. But nevertheless he added that if no one came forward of the right calibre, he would continue to manage the first team with the help of second team manager James Prisk.

"Whatever happens we want to continue as if everything was going to stay the same and for that reason we will be starting pre-season training early in June," he said. "And my intention is to certainly carry on playing, as well as developing my coaching skills."

Club secretary Christine Tonkin said that personally she would rather Trevail stayed on as manager, though she accepted his reasons for wanting to relinquish the post.

"So it's better that we advertise now so that we can hopefully get a new manager in place well before the start of next season," she said.

● Applications for the post of Mousehole's first team manager should be made in writing by June 1 to Christine Tonkin, 4 Prevenna Road, Mousehole TR19 6PZ or phone 01736 731852.