Cornwall Football Forum

Sacked

Guest bigdawg1

thats a shame, wonder what will happen to current crop of players. some very good players there. and i wonder who glyn will be bringing if it is true he is the new manager!!!

Well what a twist so soon into the summer season!!

Firstly Id like to thank Bobby whos been great with the fans and whos worked very hard to push St Blazey up the table. :thumbsup:

I think there will be much to discuss in the summer and season ahead.

Intresting times im sure.

Many thanks to Bobby Oaten for all his hard work over the season and for assuring our safety in the SWPL Premier Division.

As Paul points out, his rapport with the fans was great and he consistently and rightly acknowledged the excellent level of support St Blazey took everywhere, even into the far reaches of Devon.

Now it's onwards and upwards as Cornwall's premier football club seeks to get back where it belongs - THE TOP!

Shame for Blazey really.

Having watched this team many times this year I was rarely dissapointed with the efforts from this young team and, in particular, their style of football. I might be biased but I always found Blazey an entertaining team to watch who tried to play a passing game for most of the time, which Bobby always encouraged.

Having brought in so many players from start to finish Bob ended with an honest, hard working, loyal and essentially a very talented side, who on their day could compete with the best. I'm sure many of these talented players would have stayed (if wanted) for another season. Now, I'm not so sure. We'll have to wait and see if they're even wanted.

All this team really needed was an experienced leader to get the best from the teams defence. Another competetive central midfielder with a good engine who could pop up with a few goals and another striker to help out Danny Zalick - job done!!

Personally, I'd like to thank Bobby Oaten for all he's done to help put St Blazey in the spotlight all season, his radio reports on BBC Cornwall have always been enjoyable. He's got the best out of quite a few of his younger players and given them the confidence to perform well at a level they may not have experienced before. He's a popular manager with the team and I wouldn't be surprised if some players follow him on to his next club.

Thanks for this season Bob, wish you all the best for the future.

Pre-season 2008-09....................

"TOP of new St Blazey boss Bobby Oaten's list of priorities is ensuring that any of last season's squad who want to stay at Blaise Park this season will get the opportunity this term.

Oaten, aged 59, has taken over the hot seat at Blaise Park after the shock departure last week of Dave Philp after only one season in charge.

Philp left the club angry and disillusioned after learning virtually all of last season's squad were quitting the Carlsberg South West Peninsula League premier division club – many for local rivals St Austell.

But the Ivybridge-based Oaten is looking forward to the challenge. He said: “It's important that those who have played for St Blazey and come from the area get the opportunity to represent their club because, after all, that's exactly what it is – their club.

“Anyone who doesn't know St Blazey should know two things about the club. The first is that they have some of the most passionate supporters in non-League football, and the second is that they also boast one of the best playing surfaces in the region. It's only fair therefore that we try to play passing football on such a great surface and that is my intention from the off. We have some very attractive friendlies and I cannot wait to get going, but my first job this week has been contacting all of the players to see if they are staying or not. I want them to have the opportunity to stay if that is what they want.

“Obviously I have also been in contact with players that I would like to see at the club, but I want to get the blend just right and obviously I want to embrace the vision of the people at the club. I think that can be achieved because we seem to think along the same lines.”

Does it matter, in the cold light of day, it was the club's worse finish for 12 season!

1997-98 SW 30 16 3 11 60 39 51 4th/16

1998-99 SW 32 23 5 4 69 25 74 Champions/17

1999-00 SW 34 25 5 4 97 36 80 Runners-up/18

2000-01 SW 36 27 6 3 124 33 87 Champions/19

2001-02 SW 36 33 3 0 120 25 102 Champions/19

2002-03 SW 36 30 5 1 126 23 95 Champions/19

2003-04 SW 34 27 5 2 90 26 86 Champions/18

2004-05 SW 32 26 3 3 109 25 81 Champions/17

2005-06 SW 34 19 12 3 92 44 69 5th/18

2006-07 SW 36 25 7 4 94 37 82 Champions/19

2007-08 SWP-P 34 14 9 11 74 61 51 8th/18

2008-09 SWP-P 36 11 10 15 64 74 43 12th/19

Guest plainmoor

If he was pushed, it is an absolute outrage, one of the nicest people in football you could meet and was doing well with the team he assembled after he inherited a **** of crap from the previous manager.

This is s disgusting decision and where is the very vocal Chairman to be found?

Does it matter, in the cold light of day, it was the club's worse finish for 12 season!

1997-98 SW 30 16 3 11 60 39 51 4th/16

1998-99 SW 32 23 5 4 69 25 74 Champions/17

1999-00 SW 34 25 5 4 97 36 80 Runners-up/18

2000-01 SW 36 27 6 3 124 33 87 Champions/19

2001-02 SW 36 33 3 0 120 25 102 Champions/19

2002-03 SW 36 30 5 1 126 23 95 Champions/19

2003-04 SW 34 27 5 2 90 26 86 Champions/18

2004-05 SW 32 26 3 3 109 25 81 Champions/17

2005-06 SW 34 19 12 3 92 44 69 5th/18

2006-07 SW 36 25 7 4 94 37 82 Champions/19

2007-08 SWP-P 34 14 9 11 74 61 51 8th/18

2008-09 SWP-P 36 11 10 15 64 74 43 12th/19

any chance of knowing what sort of money was payed to players over all those season's for a better reflection on his achievement or underachievement???

Having spoken to Bob tonight and knowing first hand that he was, only yesterday, talking to his players about the forthcoming season, it was clear that the decision came 'out of the blue' from an out of touch and ageing committee.

I've been at the home games where the 'Waldorf and Stadlers' at the ground, the so called supporters? have constantly moaned and groaned when things aren't going so well and demanded the 'dogpark' long ball game instead of pure football that a pitch such as Blaise Park demands. I'm sure these old codgers have the committee's ear, which has probably led to Bob's demise instead of giving him the chance to develop the team, next season, to it's true potential.

I believe that what these committee members have overlooked is you get what you pay for! The majority of the squad were on about 20 - 27 quid a game and as most came from Plymouth that doesn't leave much left after travelling and a couple of beers. But they were happy with that.

The Plymouth contingent also have many contacts within their sport - they know of the quality players in the area, who want to step up a level, before most of the SWPL managers do. These players could have been brought in for next season as part of the rebuilding process- not sure if that will happen now Bob's gone.

A missed opportunity!

Guest Joca Junior

My source says bobby pushed - stabbed in the back by st blazey after vote of confidence! Glyn hooper to take over. After getting together a good squad from scratch bobby did well this season given small budget received!

Once again a manager lasts for one season or less. Clubs want instant success nowadays to please both their sponsors, supporters and probably the main influence the press/websites/public opinion.

When will clubs realise you need to give a manager time especially one starting from scratch. First year is getting a team together, jelling them. Second season removing dead wood, improving team, third season going for it.

During that time a club can sort out it's finaces, etc, without going for broke.

Next season all the so called better players will be concentrated in only a few clubs as the credit crunch finally bites deep into local football. Reduced budgets for most teams will test the loyalty of a lot of players and for most of them they will have to realise they must take a pay cut or ship out.

You will see a marked difference in all the local league tables next season as those with the cash to afford the better players will be the ones at the top of the league tables.

Clubs will have to find ingenious ways of raising money over the next two or three seasons to survive. There will be less money coming from sponsors, advertising, etc. Those with their own club houses might be in a better position than those that don't if they use them properly to help raise finance. Sponsored walks, old hat, race nights, old hat, clubs will need new ideas to raise cash to survive.

Some smaller clubs will not survive or will prehaps reduce the number of teams they run, or even amalgamate with another club.

A lot of clubs have struggled moneywise this year and now at their AGM's are saying we'll give it another go, one more season to see how it goes, but next year will be just as bad. twelve months from now we'll be hearing of a lot of teams folding, etc.

Clubs will have to find ingenious ways of raising money over the next two or three seasons to survive. There will be less money coming from sponsors, advertising, etc. Those with their own club houses might be in a better position than those that don't if they use them properly to help raise finance. Sponsored walks, old hat, race nights, old hat, clubs will need new ideas to raise cash to survive.

Hilarious, CTB. You came up with so many new ideas that you had to mention old hat twice! I almost thought you'd meant to :clapper::lol:

Penzance's fundraising efforts are in real trouble. Magpies club house schedule of events...

Friday - Sponsored walk

Saturday - Race night

Sunday - Old Hat

Monday - Old Hat

Tuesday, Erm, womens darts?

Wednesday - Old Hat... :P ;)

When I use the word "old hat" it means - been there, done that. In other words a sponsored walk is no good as it's been done to death as have race nights. You probably don't know that phrase being a non West-side St Erthian. :P

Thus my point clubs have to think of new ideas to get cash out of the general public. Not their supporters but the average non football watching man in the street.

Also for your info Pz FC has no control on what goes on at the Magpies as it is leased out. So the landlord can put on what he likes.

Unfortunately little was done last Friday evening to impress many at St Blazey as it is a football club not just about 1 team. The First team contingent done little to integrate with the other teams on the Evening.

Good luck to Bobby wherever he may end up in the future and many thanks for all his hard work in the last 11 months.

Guest The Judge aka RED OR DEAD

The last time I was at St Blazey was for a PCS Union Meeting, obviously making money renting out the back room, old soaks in the front bar using the clubhouse during the day (how much do they spend to cover wages). What puzzled me was, that the club charge members to watch the entertainment on Sat nights ! I know that the area dosn't have a lot going for it and there is little in the way of hotspots for the locals to visit, but if they reduced admission for entertainment nights or scrapped it altogether, surely more folk would come and spend in the clubhouse.

As most clubs are not competing with each other for clubhouse visitors, perhaps we could start by sharing info on what each club does (that actually works and makes money) so that all Cornish clubs can prosper.

Newquay, like many other clubs dropped SKY/SULTANA due to silly subscriptions and have changed to NOVA or similar systems, saves £2-3k a year and still gets the majority of matches. We have Poker nights on a Weds (I think Bodmin have the same outfit) and each person playing has to become a member of the club to comply with gambling laws, also puts more money behind the bar.

Getting money out of non-football folk is the problem, advertise that you will rent out the clubhouse (or part of it) for functions etc... those that attend may come back for other advertised events. Make sure your local paper knows that you will let accompanied under 16's into games free with an adult, they always want pop, crisps, burgers, chips etc and it should be remembered, they are the fans of the future.

Re-negotiate with your brewery, you have St Austell, Skinners, Sharps, Coors etc all involved in local clubs, tell your brewery you want a better deal or you will be off to one that will. Try an act that are new to your area (and therefore cheaper), clubs always seem to have the same bands on 3-4 times a year. Have a comedy night, hypnotist, theme nights, anything that is new and will attract interest.

Don't let your club die for the sake of a few hours work and a few quid. If every member/visitor bought just one extra drink every time they were in the clubhouse, most clubs would be saved.

One final note, I hope that St Blazey don't do something silly like get relegated next season, Newquay are coming to town 2010/11 !!!

I think youll find theres a lot that goes on at St Blazey football club anyway. For a start you have the snooker side upstairs, 2 mens pool teams on both sunday and monday nights, ladies pool on thursday, darts on friday i think. Finals nights are held at the club. Both darts and pool nights have been there in the last month. I play pool myself for another pub in the area on both sunday and monday nights and i can say that if the pool teams wernt in many pubs/clubs then the place might as well no open. There are more people in the football club than many other places around. Thats FACT!!

As for the football side, the crowds have been poor to say the least. The fact that so many supporters have died in the last 2 seasons hasnt helped. The problem being attracting local younger supporters which is not easy.

I can see a more local approach maybe as the sunday side have been attracting as good as crowds as the 1st team.

Time will tell.

St Blazey has been down the road of letting people in for free on Entertainment evenings but unfortunately these were still poorly attended.

It doesn't matter what the price is to see the entertainment people just want to see quality instead of run of the mill , middle of the road bands that have been in circulation for a number of years and still play the same sets.

St Blazey have cut down on the amount of entertainment that they are booking so as to have better quality but not as often. The plan is to have entertainment approximately once per month.

This Saturday is a good example as they have a Buddy Holly tribute featuring Alan Becks who has entertained in the West End of London and the QEII.

It's too easy for people from the outside to criticise but unfortunately the members don't have the money in the current financial climate.

This is why many clubs are feeling the squeeze financially because if your regular clubhouse members don't spend money you cannot use it to finance your football. I think you'll agree too many clubs have spent too much on football for too many years.

for paul and dan!! what players would u like to be brought in??? would u like any of the current team to stay?? heard that glnn hooper was interviewed for the job half way during the season!!!!

for paul and dan!! what players would u like to be brought in??? would u like any of the current team to stay?? heard that glnn hooper was interviewed for the job half way during the season!!!!

I'm not getting involved with specific names, but the ideal would be a mix of current players and new. Would love to see some more local lads playing for us and will be gutted if Zalick goes. Nuff said.

I too would think that bringing in local players who want to play for the club would help a great deal. Any from the second team that catch the eye?

Was it just 2 seasons ago blazey were the cswp champions? Im sure they will be back to challenging for the title sooner rather than later

Have to agree with Dan and say we need a few new players. But I still think we had quite a few good quality players anyway so id like to see some of them stay. Wether that happens or not only time will tell.

Ill enjoy the summer and look forward to pre season. ;)

Is it true that some days before the sacking of Mr Oaten, the Players were informed that Mr Oaten would remain as Manager for next season and therefore with that promise all of the players were asked to sign on for next season?

What changed in those few days? The Presentation evening?, New money? Having been misled, should St Blazey release all of the players from their retention list?

The only one to come out of this episode with any pride is Mr Oaten. He had used all of his skills to get together and shape a squad of very good young players. Anyone could see that they were trying to play attractive football and with one or two extra players for next season they would have given any team a run for their money.

This must be one of the few topics to which the Chairman has not contributed!Can there be a reason for this?

Let's be hearing from you,Harry.

Having recently had a Heart attack I've not felt like getting involved in the way I would normally.However, now that I have, I must say that the decision to release Bob was not taken lightly and required exceptional circumstances to bring it about.

Without exception the Officers here hold Bob in high regard and totally appreciate his efforts in a difficult situation and it is admitted that he has assembled a good squad to be proud of.

Only time will tell if the appointment of Glyn Hooper and a more local bias will prove worth the upset and the criticism that some may put our way.

Lastly,we all wish Bob every success and hope that he soon finds another position suited to his capabilities and hard work.

What a surprise...not!

The worst kept secret is out. This has been on the cards for months and the real surprise locally was when it was announced that Mr Oaten was staying. You have to feel sorry for him - he seems to be well respected but has been poorly treated. Had he come up to Poltair pretty well any time since xmas he'd have found out what was being planned and could have resigned first!!!

Guest Joca Junior

Doesn't sound like a hasty decision either if everyone has known since christmas but Bobby himself! Funny that everyone is banging on about the local bias but can someone tell me why Glyn Hooper has contacted 3/4 of the PLYMOUTH lads to play next season????

Personally, im not convinced the decision is about having local players etc. Lets be honest, there arnt many teams flooded with local players. Just dosnt happen. Id be more than happy to see players from anywhere if were doing well. The problem of not qualifing for the F.A cup is a big one. You can win a couple matches in the early rounds and win almost as much money for the club as if you win all the domestic league and cups going!!! Plus you get the bigger crowds and the bar money that all goes with such a draw. If were lucky to get accepted then weve got away with it. Time will tell. :rolleyes:

Gareth Southgate,

Alan Shearer,

Small shortlist as both need somin to do!!! ;)

Would like to put these names forward for Glynn's No 2

Ray Nicholls (worked together before) :yahoo:

Andrew Rundle (currently at the club) :unsure:

Kevin Skinner (currently at the club) :unsure:

Dave Hooper (been there before) :thumbsup:

Harry Cooke (St blazey threw and threw) :c:

Tristan Hicks (just been released comes highly sort after) :drink::smiley20::thumbsup:

feel free to add any more whom you think might be in the running