Cornwall Football Forum

Manure only need one more point

(Taken from football 365)

Wigan chairman Dave Whelan says it will be a 'shame' if the Latics beat Manchester United and derail their title challenge.

Whelan - whose JJB Stadium office is allegedly decorated with photographs of Sir Alex Ferguson - has called the United manager a 'maestro' ahead of the clash with the champions-elect.

United need just four points from their last three games to win the title and they are widely expected to win three of those against a Wigan side managed by Old Trafford defensive legend Steve Bruce.

Liverpool fans will not be buoyed by fawning comments from Whelan.

"I think United are the heart and soul of football. Bobby (Charlton) is an ambassador and does a fantastic job for football," said Whelan.

"When you talk about the maestro (Ferguson) himself, he is just something different. He's probably the greatest manager that football has ever seen.

"I wish I had been in a position to play under him. He is Man U through and through. It is just a pleasure to shake his hand and welcome him to Wigan.

"I always have a drink with Bobby afterwards. Sir Alex always has a drink with Steve Bruce and they get on so well together. It is just a shame if we lose or if we beat Man U."

I think Manure would have beaten Wigan tonight anyway but feck me what a thing to say when they only need 4 more points, That is so wrong