Cornwall Football Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

metts

vets finals

Think it was a group who lost in the quarter final stage with a song called "oops I did it again" but then were re-instated and sang "Whats going on" in the next round only to discover that they had used the wrong type of backing track and so were disqualified.

The final competitors then sang "where do we go from here" but unfortunately the winners came in with a wonderful rendition of " I can see clearly now" and swept the board!!!!!!!!!!!!

Phil i am sorry if i came across wrong but , what i was trying to say is if you didn't know about a 4 senior player rule (becuase we certainly didn't) then how can you be punished.

I was not for one minute saying you were breaking a rule on purpose and if it came across that way i am terrible sorry. Western are the best vets team because they have won every game. The point i think everyone is trying to get at is why wasn't the rule made aware to everyone after the first round of league matches.

I grew up with a lot of your players and like a previous post mentioned it is a pleasure to watch the ex senior players play on a sunday and if they have looked after themselves and can still perform at that level then they shouldn't be punished by not being allowed to play vets football.

Everyone over 40 is a veteran and that should be the only rule in my opinion.

My misinterpretation John.

We were aware of the rule from the very start of the season, and still to this point we have not recieved any form of indication or confirmation that we have broken any rule.

Yes we have several senior registered players signed on. And yes we have several 35-40 year old players signed on. BUT to our knowledge, we know of no official breach of these or any rules for that matter.

IF we are found in any form of breach of the rulings, then I am sure that;

1) We will accept the punishment without prejudice and offer an official apology to the CCFA;

2) Learn from our own mistake;

3) Hold our heads high in the knowledge that at no point did we knowingly attempt to gain any unfair advantage over our opponents, with any disregard or disrespect for the Competition or our opposition.

What we all (members, players, administrators, sponsors of this Vets League) must not do, is accept this current regime led by Atkins and allow it to continue. I have already recieved several PM's from persons who have expressed their interest in becoming involved in the running and organising of next seasons Vets league and welcome more from any interested persons.

I believe their should be 2 rules to qualify to play VETS football.

1 MUST be over 40 years of age

2 MUST NOT be playing at senior level

I thought the whole point of veterans football was to give the has-beens and never was's the chance to

enjoy a run out, enjoy some banter, lose a few pounds, etc.

Sure, you are going to be competitive but i dont see the point in playing players who are still playing

senior football, whats the pont in that.

There is probably a very strong case for rules such as the 2 you have just suggested Derek, particulary the over 40's rule.

But im afraid I dont agree with your other suggestion on the grounds that should 40+ year olds be prevented from playing Vets football on a Sunday because they are still physically able to play senior football on a Saturday or any other day for that matter? I strongly believe not.

We are a Nation of increasing unfit population and with an alarming increase in obesity from an early age, so why prevent our children or even grandchildren watchin their olders still perform at any level, be it Vets, Senior, Junior or 5-aside football?!

Example; Adrian Street at 43 years of age (sorry Sage!) played 90 mins in the heat for SWPL West team PZ on a Saturday at 3pm and then played another 90 mins in the heat at Truro for Western Vets the following Sunday at 11am, got the M.O.M award and lifted the cup for Western Vets.

Praise the legend on his achievement or prevent the legend from playing? I know my choice. :clapper:

Fair play to Adrian, a player who will be talked about for many years to come along with players like Hooper

and others. But my point is, if you are still good enough to be playing at senior level then you are getting your football fix on a Saturday.

Leave the vets league to the has beens until you are no longer good enough to do it at Senior level. Then when you are officialy past it, get down to your local vets team and show the kids/grandkids that their is still life in the old dog yet.

It is obvious from the above posts that the League needs to be better organised but im not sure how many

50 year olds want to get up early on a Sunday morning and Chase a team of current SWP league players

around the pitch for 90 minutes.

Rule 1 Must be over 40 years old

Rule 2 Must not be a current registered Senior player

Sorry Derek, but anyone who has kept themselves in shape should be allowed to play veterans football on a sunday if over 40.

The rule i would change is none of the 35+ years olds in the squad are still playing on a Satuday.

i think we can all learn valuble lessons here, we have a group of players playing senior gootball in to the 40s which wont happen again so why are we being negtive! unless a player is under contract he should have the choice to play when and were he likes, the manager he playes for also has the choice to drop him if he feels hes tired, he can also explain why and then its back to the players choice, we have trevor at penzance prob the most sucessfull manager in cornish football with glyn and sage, two of the most honored footballers cornwall has produced, penzance won the league, charity cup and looked the most proffessional club in the swpl west, if these managers and players allow it then maybe we should learn from it , my self iv been involved with the fantastic wadebridge side with dave robbie roy graham paul all senior players playing vets, then the st austell side under john peters who beat a bideford side in the cornwall and devon cup who were carring a few western league players from bideford, its fantastic to play against and with these players, not enough clubs help the vets and ladies teams thats why the fa offer grants to have these sort of teams at any club. if a player is over 35 to start not 40 he is able to play vets football ,if he wants to and the manager is happy with it i can not see any problem ,in some cases the ladies football or the vets or under 18s are the most successfull sides at the club. this is football as long as the club is striving to all pull in the same direction for success. the only thing to address this season is we have to be better organized in the structure and running of our leagues , we are all well aware this season we have come up short in these things. my views are there are not enough kids, girls, under18s and vets playing football today there is so much more to do outside of the game .but if the game of football is to continue we have to encourage every one to play and not put down barriers , i think sage and glyn , andy parr gary solly nick all the guys who play senior football and vets should be thanked and also the managers for letting them , this is just my view and not aimed at anyone but we all have to pull together to get the leagues in cornwall running as well as we can mettz

Why the hell wont doug come on the forum and put us all in the picture. It seems to me that when he was winning everything we didnt have a problem, funny that. :unsure:

Guest Fingers7

to all the legends reading this thread

firstly congratulations to the St Dennis boys for winning the porthminster cup last sunday, I passed the ball to Stuart to score the winner, best pass he got all day.

Secondly all the players at hayle vets are as confused as everyone else with whats been going on with the league this year and we know we were beaten fair and square by western regardless of how many seniors were supposedly playing end of.

I for one just want to pit my abilities against the best vets around, if they happen to all be playing for the same side then so be it. I would rather play a game against quality players than go out and beat teams 6/7/8/ nil because THAT would be a waste of a sunday morning.

I am nearly 47 years young and still play in mining one and if we were to win promotion to senior football then I dont see the reason why any vet should stop playing the game they obviuosly love just because of who they play for on a saturday. And some of the games we played this season have been better games to watch for the punters than some saturday games ive seen and I get to play with the myth that is RAPPO.

best to all Denis (fingers7) Fallowfield

can anyone CONFIRM if there is a final at Newquay on tuesday the 19th May ,the reason I ask is that we have our AGM in the clubhouse at 8pm which should be completed before the game is over,so the clubhouse will be open after the game.

However the clubhouse will be open at 7pm but all non members will have to leave the club during the duration of the AGM .

to all the legends reading this thread

firstly congratulations to the St Dennis boys for winning the porthminster cup last sunday, I passed the ball to Stuart to score the winner, best pass he got all day.

Secondly all the players at hayle vets are as confused as everyone else with whats been going on with the league this year and we know we were beaten fair and square by western regardless of how many seniors were supposedly playing end of.

I for one just want to pit my abilities against the best vets around, if they happen to all be playing for the same side then so be it. I would rather play a game against quality players than go out and beat teams 6/7/8/ nil because THAT would be a waste of a sunday morning.

I am nearly 47 years young and still play in mining one and if we were to win promotion to senior football then I dont see the reason why any vet should stop playing the game they obviuosly love just because of who they play for on a saturday. And some of the games we played this season have been better games to watch for the punters than some saturday games ive seen and I get to play with the myth that is RAPPO.

best to all Denis (fingers7) Fallowfield

Firstly Fingers, I must thank you, it was the best ball I had all day and completely agree if someone is 40+ then regardless of where they are currently playing, they have obviously been really fortunate or have taken great care of themselves to enable them to be still playing, so dont think anyone should be able to stop them.

Secondly to Metts, the final on Tuesday what cup is that?

GODOLPHIN VETS V DOWNDERRY AT NEWQUAY 6.45 KICK OFF TUE NIGHT CONFIRMED SUPP CUP FINAL AND AGGIE V DOWNDERRY NOW A FRIENDLY THIS SUNDAY , AGGIE GIVING THE SEMI TO DOWNDERRY DUE TO UN AVAIBILTY OF PLAYERS SO MAKING A TEAM UP OF AGGIE A AND AGGI B FOR THE FRIENDLY.

Agree with Fingers Western Inn were quality and deserved there wins but we did run them close in other games and could have won if we took chances and all players ay Hayle not complaining about result and just as confused as the rest of teams about semis and final fixtures Vets football is there for all to enjoy and the quality you see from teams a joy to watch and like fingers i did play combo for many years but to still play on a Sunday at age of 52 with likes of players who turn out for Hayle is a privlage, and i have to say you should have played higher Dennis cause you easilly good enough even now.

Also Western could probably still play in and compete with most combo teams? I play Sat F/H2 and dont have as hard a time. :P

lets hope beat the Hibs tom Rappo!

Hope so Al!!! 6 points off the hibees and jam tarts and its all over mate! 4 in a row!!! thought the dons might do us a favour today,gutted.can't see the huns getting much joy at tannadice either mate!? reckon we,ll win it back at paradise bud.what a good old glasgow east end night that would be mate!!! cant let the huns do the double!!! see you soon with me photo's Al.all the best mate x :thumbsup: