Cornwall Football Forum

Rumour had it that the final was to be St Dennis v Downderry, despite Downderry's loss to Hayle on Thursday - Western Inn's disqualification had supposedly meant Hayle back into the main final, with Downderry through by default to the Supplementary Cup Final.

Work that lot out!

I am confused Mets - Aggie B are still supposed to have a cup round to play - it was supposed to be against Downderry - they played St Teath and lost so why do we still not have a round to play - what happened to it??

Rumour had it that the final was to be St Dennis v Downderry, despite Downderry's loss to Hayle on Thursday - Western Inn's disqualification had supposedly meant Hayle back into the main final, with Downderry through by default to the Supplementary Cup Final.

Work that lot out!

Always thought the cornwall sunday football league was the worst run/most bent but with this lash up and what they"ve done to western it looks like we have a contender for that honour.

Reading all of this I am not terribly sure that any finals should be played yet?

Certainly St Agnes B have another match to play???

St Dennis think they are also in a final???

Oh dear this is a bit of a muddle!

Havin watched afew St Dennis vets games and knowin sum of/most of the players they"ve lost 2 league games v western,didnt enter the devon n cornwall cup,won every other game !!!!!.

if western have been disqualified its the first they have heard about it.

Grampound beat St Agnes B 6-0 in the Supplementary Cup a few weeks ago.

I will agree that the organisation is a bit of a shambles though.

An absolute disgrace and shambles of an organisation. Clubs, players, sponsors and supporters alike ALL totally at a loss with regards to what the hell's going on and suffering at the hands of such a poorly run set up. Wrong and not acceptable at any level.

Time for a change and time for Doug Atkins to step down from this shambles he organises and represents, and failing that its surely time for the CCFA to step in and do all involved with the Sunday Vets League a big, and long awaited favour and remove him.

Enough is enough.

Phil Lafferty.

I know Grampound beat St Agnes B in one Supplementary Cup (they only seem to play in Cup games not in the League all season like the rest of us????) but the other Supplementary Cup St Agnes are still in - thank you AJW but there are more Cups and rounds than you are involved in!

Doug is sorting out whatever Supplementary Cup we are still in (at present!!!!) - watch this space - we will see what unfolds!

Aggiemaid, if waiting 2 months for Atkins to sort out what the hell is going on with our Cup, I sincerely hope your situation that is being sorted "at present" doesnt emulate this.

Non excusable, under any circumstances.

Doug has asked me and I have said yes.

From next season I will be setting up a basic website similar to the combo website for the Veterans League. It will start with info about the teams, league set up, match fixtures, results and any news he passes on, etc. Hopefully this will then avoid any confusion.

He has invited me to the AGM whenever or wherever it is to see if everyone is in agreement.

What the league needs apparently is a secretary as Doug is trying to do everything at the moment because no-one is helping him.

Here's your chance Lafs !

I assume you are suggesting I put myself forward for the Secretary job?

It is currently a pleasure to be the Manager of a great Vets team who have won every game this season and I would not jeopardise that pleasure with any form of conflict of issues.

I think many involved with the league over the years would agree that enough of that has taken place already within the Vets League set up and thats why there has been so much shame and unrest attached to it and why so many of us have had enough. Only one season for me, but I can fully understand others feelings towards Doug Atkins.

Understand your frustration Lafs, was informed that the final we played against Hayle yesterday might prove to be a friendly pending your appeal...

Couple of things, we beat Hayle 3-2 and were presented with the trophy, read through the engravings of past winners and you can imagine my surprise to read Porthminster Cup Winners for 2008-2009 Hayle Vintage Brewery, I knew they were confident but that is taking the piss. (I KID YOU NOT!!).

secondly, how did your appeal go Lafs?

Guest Olly

To all the veteran footballers playing in the east and west veterans league, THANKYOU, because it is you that make veterans football what it is!. Thankyou to all Westerns players, to Hayles players, to Godolphin, to Downderry, to St Agnes, to St Dennis, to Grampound, to St Teath, to Truro,to Anyone else I've forgot... THANKYOU.. To see footballers still playing (and enjoying it) after they are over 40 is wonderful, you all have given me the best time this season, all of you, because it takes all of you to create a good veterans league.

Best Wishes

Alan Oliver :clapper:

Think its more of an explanation that Western were after than an appeal, from the conversation I had with Lafs he said that they were pulled out with no real explanation, its a bit of a hollow victory we had over Hayle yesterday, they beat Downderry this week in a rearranged semi final, but we beat Downderry in the first round of this cup, you couldnt make this up no one would believe you. Lots of questions do need answering, hope Lafs gets it sorted as we still feel we could put one over on Western.

Firstly, congratulations are in order to you and all at St Dennis mate.

Secondly, I am speechless at what I have just read, although not in the least surprised when it comes to Atkins. Yet again a disgrace to himself, the Club and its players and to Cornish football. What goes through this mans mind?

No respect shown for the opposition which is appalling in any case and simply embarrassing. How much more must we take of this individual?

Lastly, the time this whole issue/allegation/appeal has now taken and still not resolved, has gone too far and no matter what outcome is or isnt reached is non excusable.

Again, well done to St Dennis and I now hope the League does not further shame itself by reversing the result. The Leagues credibility can not reach a lower point under Atkins.

Update on the St Agnes B Supplementary Cup semi-final! (I think this is the Porthminster Supplementary Cup but I am not completely sure)

This will now be St Agnes B V Downderry at St Agnes this Sunday 17th May 11am.

The final of this Cup I now believe will be the following week 23rd at Newquay bu I am not too sure about that either.

One step at a time...................

Not defending Doug Atkins if there as been some wrong doing, but apparently you are only aloud to play 4 current senior players in the vets league and cups apart from the devon and cornwall cup which is open to anyone over 35.

My Point being Western have played alot more then 4 senior players in all there games and should have been made aware of this before they won all there games. The first St Dennis knew of this was when we were looking forward to putting one over on them in the Porthminister Cup only to be told by ST TEATH who were there oppoenents in the semi final that they would be given a bye.

Yes Hayle played Downderry in the semi final who we beat in the first round, so why wasn't hayle playing St Teath ??

Doug who is running the league single handed can't throw teams out of any competition thats has to come from the FA.

Therefore we must let Western fullfill all there fixtures according to the 4 senior player rule and what as previously gone on put down to experience.

Like Gas on Tour said we were looking to play Western because we are probably the only team that can compete with them player ability wise.

So i take it Phil you have not appealed the decision to throw you out of the Porthminster, so i can go and put the picture of the boys with the cup up on the wall for our final league game on sunday against St Teath

Sounds a right shambles to me!

However, wasn't this the suggestion a couple of seasons ago, when for the following season the CCFA had a closer hand on things. They then felt the time was right to pass over to others - and that's what you've got!

Is there not a League Committee? Or does Doug run everything? <_<

Not defending Doug Atkins if there as been some wrong doing, but apparently you are only aloud to play 4 current senior players in the vets league and cups apart from the devon and cornwall cup which is open to anyone over 35.

My Point being Western have played alot more then 4 senior players in all there games and should have been made aware of this before they won all there games. The first St Dennis knew of this was when we were looking forward to putting one over on them in the Porthminister Cup only to be told by ST TEATH who were there oppoenents in the semi final that they would be given a bye.

Yes Hayle played Downderry in the semi final who we beat in the first round, so why wasn't hayle playing St Teath ??

Doug who is running the league single handed can't throw teams out of any competition thats has to come from the FA.

Therefore we must let Western fullfill all there fixtures according to the 4 senior player rule and what as previously gone on put down to experience.

Like Gas on Tour said we were looking to play Western because we are probably the only team that can compete with them player ability wise.

So i take it Phil you have not appealed the decision to throw you out of the Porthminster, so i can go and put the picture of the boys with the cup up on the wall for our final league game on sunday against St Teath

John, as Ive already stated on this thread, congratulations to all at St Dennis Vets on winning the Porthminster Cup on Sunday regardless of what chaos is surrounding the competition. They certainly threatened our 100% record this season.

But I have one question for you. Have you had access to EVERY Western Inn Vets team sheet submitted for EVERY game in every competition?

Because if you have then I am afraid we both know you are talking rubbish and if you havent then im sorry to say you are not in a position to comment in the way you have above. Unless the Rule book issued by the Vets league and Competitions linked to the league has been changed without our knowledge that is John. And that will hopefully be confirmed either way by the CCFA soon for all's sake.

We all know we are a nation of people who like to knock success and find negatives behind reasons for success, and I find that irritating to be honest as ALL the players involved in Western Inn's 100% record this season, deserve their success and deserve credit for their physical condition and capabilities at their ages.

Besides all this, my only concern is the handling and administration of the League as too many teams have been subjected to poor communication, blatant corruption and delays beyond a joke. Having scratched the surface on Atkins, ive been amazed at how many PM's, messages and contact ive recieved from people who have suffered Atkins antics such as this latest, for far too long now!!!

Lafs.

I am totally confused now,St tEATH WON A CUP ON SUNDAY OR I THINK WE DID,what one is this then ,we thought we where playing Grampound but ended up playing Goldolphin.Feel sorry for western cant understand why it got so far as it has,it is always a pleasure to watch past masters play the game as it should be played,surely at this stage it is about taking part,not the winning.We wish everyone involved in vets football the best an look forward to a slightly better format next season.Laffs i still want all the vets at st teath next year!

I am totally confused now,St tEATH WON A CUP ON SUNDAY OR I THINK WE DID,what one is this then ,we thought we where playing Grampound but ended up playing Goldolphin.Feel sorry for western cant understand why it got so far as it has,it is always a pleasure to watch past masters play the game as it should be played,surely at this stage it is about taking part,not the winning.We wish everyone involved in vets football the best an look forward to a slightly better format next season.Laffs i still want all the vets at st teath next year!

Well said Kitbag. I agree it's a pleasure and priviledge to watch past masters and I must add that every Vets team we have played this season has their own. Lets applaud them all for gracing us with reminders of the past and in the meantime lets repay them with a better set up.

Couldn't agree more - as nothing more than a Duchy player all of my career, what a priviledge it is to play against the likes of Rappo, Glyn Hooper, Andy Street, Andy Parr, Gary Penhaligon, Gary Dyer, etc.

All top blokes as well, surely THAT's what vets football is all about?

FOR THE RECORD GODOLPHIN PLAYED TRURO IN A SEMI FINAL @ TRURO AND WON THREE ONE WE THEN WERE MENT TO PLAY THE WINNERS OF ST AGGI AND DOWNDERRY WHICH IS NOW HAPPENING THIS SUNDAY , WE PLAYED TRURO IN A QUARTER FINAL AGAIN AT TRURO WE WON TWO ONE WE THEN PLAYED GRAMPOUND @ ST BLAZEY IN THE SEMI FINAL AND WON TWO ONE WHICH PUT US IN THE FINAL AGAINST ST TEATH BUT SHOULD IT HAVE BEEN DOWN DERRY AGAIN BECAUSE I BELEIVE THEIR SEMI WAS DOWN DERRY AGAINST ST TEATH WHO NEVER TURNED UP FOR THE FIXTURE AND DOWN DERRY SHOULD HAVE PLAYED US BUT WE FACED ST TEATH ( O HAPPY DAYS ) SO WE NOW AWAIT THE WINNERS OF AGGI AND DOWNDERRY WHO PLAY THIS SUNDAY IN THRIR SEMI FINAL .THE FINAL IS AT NEWQUAY ON TUE NIGHT ALL CONFIRMED FOR A QUARTER TO SEVEN KICK OFF . HOPE THIS IS AS CLEAR TO EVERY ONE . AND PHIL YOU KNOW YOU HAVE MY UPMOST SUPPORT IN ANY MATTER AS A FRIEND ILL CATCH UP SOON METTZ. . AND TO JOHN I REGARD US AS FRIENDS BUT I THINK ULL FIND WE PUSHED WESTERN VERY CLOSE IN OUR GAMES AND PROB MORE CLOSE THAN ST DENNIS SO A BIT FORWARD SAYING YOU WERE THE ONLY TEAM TO COMPETE WITH WESTERN , HOPE THIS CLEARS UP ANY MIS UNDERSTANDING ALAN METTERS GODOLPHIN VETS

GODOLPHIN PLAYED ST TEATH AND LOST TWO NIL IN ONE FINAL ON SUN

ON TUE THE 19 th THE GODOLPHIN WILL PLAY THE WINNERS OF ST AGGIE B V DOWNDERRY WHO PLAY ON SUNDAY . IN THEIR SEMI FINAL I THINK AT ROCHE WITH THE FINAL PLAYED AT NEWQUAY TUE NIGHT

hi aggi maid no the final is on tue evening all confirmed and arranged due to work begining on newq field on the wed so last game has to be on the tue evening , food ect all arranged back the godolphin afterwards due to newquay agm in the clubhouse. refs appointed and linespersons , all for tue evening , i know how difficult it is to get a field after the season ends due to clubs working on their fields, i know if downderry get through the kick off can be a little later to give them time to travel, but the final st aggie b / downderry v godolphin will be played on tue 19th

Think it was a group who lost in the quarter final stage with a song called "oops I did it again" but then were re-instated and sang "Whats going on" in the next round only to discover that they had used the wrong type of backing track and so were disqualified.

The final competitors then sang "where do we go from here" but unfortunately the winners came in with a wonderful rendition of " I can see clearly now" and swept the board!!!!!!!!!!!!

Phil i am sorry if i came across wrong but , what i was trying to say is if you didn't know about a 4 senior player rule (becuase we certainly didn't) then how can you be punished.

I was not for one minute saying you were breaking a rule on purpose and if it came across that way i am terrible sorry. Western are the best vets team because they have won every game. The point i think everyone is trying to get at is why wasn't the rule made aware to everyone after the first round of league matches.

I grew up with a lot of your players and like a previous post mentioned it is a pleasure to watch the ex senior players play on a sunday and if they have looked after themselves and can still perform at that level then they shouldn't be punished by not being allowed to play vets football.

Everyone over 40 is a veteran and that should be the only rule in my opinion.

My misinterpretation John.

We were aware of the rule from the very start of the season, and still to this point we have not recieved any form of indication or confirmation that we have broken any rule.

Yes we have several senior registered players signed on. And yes we have several 35-40 year old players signed on. BUT to our knowledge, we know of no official breach of these or any rules for that matter.

IF we are found in any form of breach of the rulings, then I am sure that;

1) We will accept the punishment without prejudice and offer an official apology to the CCFA;

2) Learn from our own mistake;

3) Hold our heads high in the knowledge that at no point did we knowingly attempt to gain any unfair advantage over our opponents, with any disregard or disrespect for the Competition or our opposition.

What we all (members, players, administrators, sponsors of this Vets League) must not do, is accept this current regime led by Atkins and allow it to continue. I have already recieved several PM's from persons who have expressed their interest in becoming involved in the running and organising of next seasons Vets league and welcome more from any interested persons.

I believe their should be 2 rules to qualify to play VETS football.

1 MUST be over 40 years of age

2 MUST NOT be playing at senior level

I thought the whole point of veterans football was to give the has-beens and never was's the chance to

enjoy a run out, enjoy some banter, lose a few pounds, etc.

Sure, you are going to be competitive but i dont see the point in playing players who are still playing

senior football, whats the pont in that.

There is probably a very strong case for rules such as the 2 you have just suggested Derek, particulary the over 40's rule.

But im afraid I dont agree with your other suggestion on the grounds that should 40+ year olds be prevented from playing Vets football on a Sunday because they are still physically able to play senior football on a Saturday or any other day for that matter? I strongly believe not.

We are a Nation of increasing unfit population and with an alarming increase in obesity from an early age, so why prevent our children or even grandchildren watchin their olders still perform at any level, be it Vets, Senior, Junior or 5-aside football?!

Example; Adrian Street at 43 years of age (sorry Sage!) played 90 mins in the heat for SWPL West team PZ on a Saturday at 3pm and then played another 90 mins in the heat at Truro for Western Vets the following Sunday at 11am, got the M.O.M award and lifted the cup for Western Vets.

Praise the legend on his achievement or prevent the legend from playing? I know my choice. :clapper:

Fair play to Adrian, a player who will be talked about for many years to come along with players like Hooper

and others. But my point is, if you are still good enough to be playing at senior level then you are getting your football fix on a Saturday.

Leave the vets league to the has beens until you are no longer good enough to do it at Senior level. Then when you are officialy past it, get down to your local vets team and show the kids/grandkids that their is still life in the old dog yet.

It is obvious from the above posts that the League needs to be better organised but im not sure how many

50 year olds want to get up early on a Sunday morning and Chase a team of current SWP league players

around the pitch for 90 minutes.

Rule 1 Must be over 40 years old

Rule 2 Must not be a current registered Senior player

i think we can all learn valuble lessons here, we have a group of players playing senior gootball in to the 40s which wont happen again so why are we being negtive! unless a player is under contract he should have the choice to play when and were he likes, the manager he playes for also has the choice to drop him if he feels hes tired, he can also explain why and then its back to the players choice, we have trevor at penzance prob the most sucessfull manager in cornish football with glyn and sage, two of the most honored footballers cornwall has produced, penzance won the league, charity cup and looked the most proffessional club in the swpl west, if these managers and players allow it then maybe we should learn from it , my self iv been involved with the fantastic wadebridge side with dave robbie roy graham paul all senior players playing vets, then the st austell side under john peters who beat a bideford side in the cornwall and devon cup who were carring a few western league players from bideford, its fantastic to play against and with these players, not enough clubs help the vets and ladies teams thats why the fa offer grants to have these sort of teams at any club. if a player is over 35 to start not 40 he is able to play vets football ,if he wants to and the manager is happy with it i can not see any problem ,in some cases the ladies football or the vets or under 18s are the most successfull sides at the club. this is football as long as the club is striving to all pull in the same direction for success. the only thing to address this season is we have to be better organized in the structure and running of our leagues , we are all well aware this season we have come up short in these things. my views are there are not enough kids, girls, under18s and vets playing football today there is so much more to do outside of the game .but if the game of football is to continue we have to encourage every one to play and not put down barriers , i think sage and glyn , andy parr gary solly nick all the guys who play senior football and vets should be thanked and also the managers for letting them , this is just my view and not aimed at anyone but we all have to pull together to get the leagues in cornwall running as well as we can mettz