Cornwall Football Forum

Cornwall Senior Cup Final 08/09

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Five goals, a shocking misjudgement by the referee and someone's mum on the pitch... ok, the weather was bad but at least there was a bit of entertainment!

I'm sure the party will go on late into the night... And I'd imagine the talk about St Austell's first goal may go on for a little longer!

Congratulations St Austell.

Guest Uncle Albert

I have to disagree with the view that it was a poor final. As a neutral, I thought it was a cracker.

The favourites 2-0 up with 25 minutes to go and coasting it; the underdogs fighting back in truly atrocious conditions, and scoring the winner in the last minute of normal time.

St Austell players limping around the pitch for the last few minutes just to keep their side to the full XI, having used all the subs.

I got absolutely soaked to the skin, but what a match.

uncle albert, where did you watch from?

I spent the first half behind saltash's goal, with my formaer st austell 2nd team mates, and stayed fairly dry, but second half along the touchline i got wet to me bones!!!!!

Cracking 2nd half tho!

Special mention to Gary Wheildon tho, who turned the tide in the game, by doing the simple things right, while with a dodgy calf.

Guest Uncle Albert

I was immediately behind the dug outs, on the halfway line.

Jenksy, if you, as a St Austell follower, can post the team list on here, I'd be grateful, as my programme is now in tatters, saturated and on my car floor !

Were you leading the singing Jenksy? I particularly liked "Where's your Truro gone?"!

Who needs technical brilliance when you get a game like that. Another special mention to Ben Douglas who showed great guts and determination, even though he could hardly walk by the end!

I'm soaked to the skin and probably borderline hypothermic, but I don't care! :yahoo:

Well done Snozzle - good to hear their fans, but chants of "where were you when you were sh*t?" could be heard from the Blazey fans present - they had a good point!!

I thought St Austell were poor throughout and had to rely on Saltash throwing it away, which they really did! Even when Snozzle got it back to 2-1, Saltash already looked like a beaten side!!

Crowd in the region of 1,000 (500 from Snozzle, perhaps 1-200 from Saltash and a few hundred neutrals).

Just a comment: the level of stewarding was completely inadequate for such an occasion and the buck must surely stop with the Cornwall FA on that one.

Sedge, i wasnt singing, as i had a bad throat from last week so i kept quiet!!!

Ben Douglas done really well and man-ed up today!

DanBlazey, i might add that the singing support for the club where mostly from the 2nd team, and as a former part of the club, we always supported the team like mad. So when the club was sh1te, we were still there, laying the foundations to grow to where the club stands today.

The 2nd team have built a foundation for the club which should never be ignored.

Well done Snozzle - good to hear their fans, but chants of "where were you when you were sh*t?" could be heard from the Blazey fans present - they had a good point!

I know where I was Dan - 12 months ago, watching the team lose 2-1 to Penryn and being grateful for a defeat of only one goal. That was one of the high points of the season!

In conditions like today, you don't need fancy footwork and flare - just real grit and determination which St Austell had in bucketloads!

After last season, I don't think anybody can deny the club (particularly the committee) their glory. They've done a magic job rescuing the club from oblivion, so from the St Austell fans - thanks to Trevor, Darryl, John, Brian and the rest of the committee for finally giving us something to smile about! :thumbsup:

Guest Turkish

I thought it was a good game. Awful conditions. Fair play to st austell, they didn't give up when a lot of teams would have and i'm sure they will enjoy their moment

Guest Uncle Albert

Thanks Jenks.

I have nothing but admiration for the way St Austell played. They deserved to win.

The Cornwall FA say Lee Whetter scored the winner. Was he even on the pitch at that stage?

Enjoyed the game albeit got soaking wet but as a neutral i think the 1st St Austell goal should never have been as the player who put it in the net headed it off the goalies hand !! poor decision or non by the ref and his assistant who was standing only feet away from me as i was in line with the 18 yard line nearest the clubhouse ! but that is football most close games have contentious decisions and this one was another one that will be talked about for a while! ( not as long as Ben Andros i hope) :c:

Well done to Town who deserved to win after a stirring comeback sparked by a controversial first goal by Nanks. Incredible that all four officials apparently missed him heading the ball out of the keeper's hands but good on him for getting away with it. I can hardly remember Saltash creating a chance other than their two goals, and Penhaligon can have had fewer quieter games all season. After years of living in the shadow of St Blazey, congratulations to Town.

Guest Uncle Albert

Thought so. Even though my glasses needed windscreen wipers, I could still see the No 14 putting the ball into the net.

The Cornwall FA are saying Lee Whetter scored it !!

Why was there the need to have a fourth official? What a jobsworth he was. Totally unnecessary. And a little jerk taboot.

Sedge, i wasnt singing, as i had a bad throat from last week so i kept quiet!!!

Ben Douglas done really well and man-ed up today!

DanBlazey, i might add that the singing support for the club where mostly from the 2nd team, and as a former part of the club, we always supported the team like mad. So when the club was sh1te, we were still there, laying the foundations to grow to where the club stands today.

The 2nd team have built a foundation for the club which should never be ignored.

agree with you totally there, i went to the newquay v st austell game, prob the 3rd time ive mentioned it and the singing came from their duchy players. haha crowd of newquay saying, season ticket to jeremy kyle etc but they always give as good as they get st austell, they can shut you up when they take the lead.

How anyone can say that was a crap game is beyond me. Crap football maybe but cracking game.

At 2-0 Saltash were cruising and nothing on. After St. Austell pulled one back it buoyed them but I think it was the controversial manner of it that blew Saltash away. Their heads dropped and St. Austell were well on top.

It really made my day, week and month to see St. Austell fight back to win the cup for the first time in my lifetime.

Guest Sam Boston

Just a comment: the level of stewarding was completely inadequate for such an occasion and the buck must surely stop with the Cornwall FA on that one.

Maybe they should have it at St Day next year :D

I think St Austell deserved their win, I am nursing a major hangover and killer sore throat this morning, but to say it was a rubbish final is far from the truth, the Favourites taking a 2-0 lead and the underdogs fight back to take a well earned victory, St Austell had Ollie Brokenshire who at 17 was by far the best player on the pitch he got ball down in tricky conditions and played it simple, Ben Douglas another youngster showed great heart by getting injured and continuing, Saltash played their part as well getting lucky with the first goal coming off Josh Higman but a wonderful second goal. The crowd for sure inspired St Austell to drive on and get the victory.

Congratulations to the lads and especially Glyn Rowett, when we offered the position to Glyn at the beginning of the season his brief was to get us out of the bottom three, hopefully we will be in the Top three come the end of the season and we have won the SENIOR CUP!! Get in there!!!!!!

What a ridiculous post by cornishbaggie...it may not have been a classic but in that weather is it any wonder? It was a thriller and the 2nd half must have been great for any neutral.

Like scores of other Town supporters and players I'm nursing a major hangover having just sat at my desk (3 hours late) but what a day for St.Austell. The support yesterday was terrific and the atmosphere brilliant behind the goal. Having predicted that Chris Phillips would score the winner I never believed it would happen in such a fashion....it's far more exciting to win with a last minute goal having been 2 down than just stroll to an easy victory.

Well done boys - that win made a lot of people very happy. The club has had some very thin times of late and there have been a hardy bunch of supporters and committee members who have stuck by the team throughout - every emotion was there yesterday...joy, tears the lot. It makes all the hard times, worries etc worthwhile. BRILLIANT!!

Congratulations to St Austell on winning the Senior Cup and thank you to St Blazey on a well hosted cup final day despite the down poor I think every one had a good time.

Was great to finally meet Dave Deacon, Pidge, SuperCooper, CrApPy, St Austell 2nd, Chairman, Ken Reed, Topcat and the other forum members.

Saltash's Toby Cark dive in to stop St Austell's Daniel Nancarrow. Picture by by Sean Hernon

Best chant of the day was 3-0 and you f#*ked it up, 3-0 and you f#*ked it up, hahahaha!!!!

Great win for the lads - now the league!!!!!! :D:D:D

You mean 2-0 Crappy!

The other classic was "You're just a small town in Devon!... small town in Deeeeevvvon!"

Once Nanks scored the first for St Austell you had a feeling they might just turn it round. I'm also delighted for Chrissy Phillips on scoring the winning goal. I think the best entertainment was from the St Austell fans... they were worth the entrance fee alone!

Not a classic game but a classic cup final. The game was over at 2-0 until the referee decided to forget the laws of the game to gift St Austell the first goal. The conditions were terrible but both sides gave everything and the St Austell fans were terrific (I wonder where they have been for the last umpteen years). It was just a shame that the referee decided that it was his final and not the players. Giving long lectures to players when a quick 'cut it out or else' would have sufficed.

But credit to St Austell they should have been dead and buried by half time, but hey, thats why we love the game so much

Guest Peppermint

As a neutral spectator - congratulations to AFC St Austell on their great fightback and winning the trophy. A great pity the fightback had to start with a goal that should never have been. How the Assistant on the Grandstand side and the Referee for that matter never spotted the offence many of us will never know.

A point of interest - as St Austell AFC the Club has won many Senior Cup Finals - so does this constitute a first win now there has been a name change!

A pity about some cans etc been thrown around - could have resulted in a nasty injury.

I did feel sorry for the Saltash United keeper - who looked class - and the first goal obviously unsettled him and none of the referees around where I was would have given the goal.

One more observation - on a day that no one could complain that they did not have full value for their admission money - when the first AFC St Austell goal went in - one of the players appeared to strike the Saltash No 4 on the head when he came forward for the celebrations. Not really necessary!

I think as finals go, this was one of the better ones!

Before the game, the neutrals would have wanted St Austell to score first, but alas the goal went in the other end, and that a shot that was going wide until it hit Josh Higman. Worst still for St Austell when they conceded a second, but this time, what a goal it was! The Saltash right-back Stuart Clark coming up and slotting the ball away as if he was an accomplished striker.

Two down and it was looking as if the favourites would go on and pick up the trophy, but who would have imagined the way St Austell eventually got on the scoresheet? I am amazed that the game, as a contest, has been criticised: I am staggered that the crowd behaviour has become such an issue, but no one has really chastised the officials for the goal that swung the match. From the moment St Austell scored their first goal, in a very dubious manner, their heads came up while Saltash hid!

Let's take nothing away from the effort St Austell continued to put in and eventually turn the game with two further legal goals, but since when has a player been allowed to head the ball off the goally's hand as he is about to kick the ball up the field? A lot of people missed the event because they were already looking up the field, I believe referee Mr Oldacre was one of these, but surely one of his other officials must have witnessed it.

If not, what about the referees who were at the game - come on this thread and give us your expert opinion, because until someone convinces me otherwise, that goal should not have stood!

Having said that, good luck to Dan for trying it. But surely he must have been amazed when the goal was given.

The equaliser was class with the ball destined for the Saltash net as soon as it left Lee Whetter's head, and the third, well when Chris Phillips (definitely him and not anyone else) slotted home, the day was St Austell's.

Ok, not a spectacle, but for excitement, could we have asked for more? I don't think so, and that' why it is such a shame that this post was started off with such negative remarks; and elsewhere all the talk is about the crowd, the CCFA and St Blazey! Let's enjoy the fact that in pretty awful conditions, this game was one to enjoy.

Finally, congratulations to St Austell for the win, commiserations to Saltash for what I believe to be a referee error which, whether you like it or not, did turn the game. No wonder Kevin Hendy and co were in the dug-out until well after the presentation, they probably couldn't believe what they had witnessed!

one of the players appeared to strike the Saltash No 4 on the head when he came forward for the celebrations. Not really necessary!

One thing the officials did see presumably as explained Lee Whetter getting his yellow card! :SM_carton_y:

I think we should agree on Saltash's first goal. The Plymouth Herald said that Will Tinsley turned the ball, past hs goalkeeper. Dave Deacon said the shot was going wide until it hit Josh Higman.

THE GOAL WAS SCORED BY DANNY LEWIS.

Farnhams cross was met by Lewis on the edge of the sIx yard box before turning and firing the ball into the net with a great left foot drive from 7-8 yards that was heading for the net anyway. Lewis then ran off and did his swallow dive in the mud to celebrate HIS GOAL. The camera never lies.

The first post on this thread is ridiculous.

The conditions were a nightmare but credit to St Blazey as the pitch appeared to hold up well despite 2 games and the horrendous weather.

Policing the beer situation is a nightmare at this level and St Blazey IMO did the best they could.

If anyone thought the St Austell fans, in their first Senior Cup final for years, after all recent setbacks were going to stand pleasant and calm without a beer or two, you must be joking!

Saltash players did goad the Town support when they scored hence why their Number 4 in particular got some back when the conceded each goal.

Saltash's second goal was a sign of their quality and to be honest they deserve a lot of credit.

They stayed behind and witnessed the scenes, took it all in, shook hands and just took a step back and watched the celebrations. They wanted it bad and by watching those events unfold, will be doubly determined to succeed next season.

Hopefully this win will help keep the St Austell squad together next year, my ridiculous prediction almost came true but Phillips had the winner instead of Body and i'm not sure if Lee Allen made the river?

Congratulations Lads.

Congratulations to St Austell on winning the Senior Cup and thank you to St Blazey on a well hosted cup final day despite the down poor I think every one had a good time.

Was great to finally meet Dave Deacon, Pidge, SuperCooper, CrApPy, St Austell 2nd, Chairman, Ken Reed, Topcat and the other forum members.

seniorcup.jpg

Saltash's Toby Cark dive in to stop St Austell's Daniel Nancarrow. Picture by by Sean Hernon

Thanks Rich it was good to meet you as well.

Dave Deacon said the shot was going wide until it hit Josh Higman. THE GOAL WAS SCORED BY DANNY LEWIS.

Better to give the goal to someone other than an own goal, but believe me, I was right in line and couldn't have a better view that Danny's shot would have gone wide, until that is, if it hadn't had hit Josh.

Academic now anyway :D