Cornwall Football Forum

ECPL CONFIRMED APPLICANTS FOR 2009-10 SEASON

ECPL CONFIRMED APPLICANTS FOR 2009-10 SEASON

Six clubs have officialy applied to join the ECPL for next season. Other applicants are expected although these can be accepted up to the AGM

Please note that the Duchy League champions will automatically be promoted provided their facilities are accepted by the league.

Millbrook (no team)

Dobwalls (Duchy League Division One)

College of St Mark and St John (Marjons) (Devon Wednesaday League)

St Teath (Duchy League Premier Division)

Edgcumbe (Duchy League Premier Division)

St Dennis (Duchy League Premier Division)

At the end of the day it is the clubs who decide who comes in and who does not Don't forget when the CCFA allowed Camelford to apply with a team they did not have then it is left to the clubs to decide.

At the end of the day it is the clubs who decide who comes in and who does not Don't forget when the CCFA allowed Camelford to apply with a team they did not have then it is left to the clubs to decide.

Millbrook (no team)

Dobwalls (Duchy League Division One)

College of St Mark and St John (Marjons) (Devon Wednesaday League)

St Teath (Duchy League Premier Division)

Edgcumbe (Duchy League Premier Division)

St Dennis (Duchy League Premier Division)

I know Dobwalls have decent facilities and I've been to Millbrooks ground twice but know nothing about the other 4 clubs! I understand the process that as a member club we must vote in new members but I have limited knowledge on these places! Clubs from ECPL 07-08 must have had the same problem when accepting the last 5 teams for season 08-09?

[.

Millbrook (no team) no team, surely no chance, with a team bottom of league it seems silly

Dobwalls (Duchy League Division One should've been accepted years ago but to late, enough good players around who will want to play at that standard for dobwalls, favourites really]

College of St Mark and St John (Marjons) (Devon Wednesaday League) wednesday league?? not even p&d???

St Teath (Duchy League Premier Division) good team, not bad pitch, do they now have changing rooms?

Edgcumbe (Duchy League Premier Division) where will they play? good team though

St Dennis (Duchy League Premier Division) let the league down before, another padstow?

lots to think about but no standout. Dobwalls will attract players good enough without doubt, edgcumbe good enough but unsure about the rest.

Guest keano

[.

Millbrook (no team) no team, surely no chance, with a team bottom of league it seems silly

Dobwalls (Duchy League Division One should've been accepted years ago but to late, enough good players around who will want to play at that standard for dobwalls, favourites really]

College of St Mark and St John (Marjons) (Devon Wednesaday League) wednesday league?? not even p&d???

St Teath (Duchy League Premier Division) good team, not bad pitch, do they now have changing rooms?

Edgcumbe (Duchy League Premier Division) where will they play? good team though

St Dennis (Duchy League Premier Division) let the league down before, another padstow?

lots to think about but no standout. Dobwalls will attract players good enough without doubt, edgcumbe good enough but unsure about the rest.

hang on a minute ,whats the performance of the first team got to do with anything .how do you how well the first team will do next season. and no mr judge this team will act as millbrooks reserve team.

The Devon Wednesday League clubs are packed wth SWPL players as is the Sunday League It is also understod that Marjons are investing millions into their sporting facilities including the football.

It is also understod that Marjons are investing millions into their sporting facilities including the football.

That may well be right - but - There have always been problems, and still are with 'Uni' teams. Constant failure on the administration side, always looking for favours re no games in College holidays. Always difficult to contact re arrangements - in my view they would be a disaster for the league. Thats why the P & D threw them out years ago. :SM_carton:

The P&D League is fast becoming a non existant organisation. Also The University of Exeter dont' seem to have a problem in the SWPL Times have moved on. Dont forget also that Marjons is a sports univeristy. Don't forget that clubs in the league do have the opportunity to change fixtures - that hasn't changed.

Oh dear ECPL - times may have changed - but you only have to look at the P&WD League to make my point two of the Uni sides have had points deducted. Uni teams by their very nature, of an 'itinerant' people, find it almost impossible to maintain admin rules. believe me if they get in, it will be regretted.

Edgcumbe have been informed by Millbrook that if Millbrook are unsuccessful in getting into the ECPL we can carry on down there. If not we have other irons in the fire.

What they say and what they do has been known to be 2 completely different things though!!

Guest tafc.-gaffa

I would'nt hold your breath Bigdawg as they havent treated your team well and they seriously have to sort out their own affairs first to build there own club into what it used to be so i think they will drop you like a hat to do this!!!

Gooner, i was a regular in the youth side for years, untill the new under 18s manager took over, i didint get in the team because he was biased to the players he bought in, learn your facts before you start trying to insult someone

I did not intend to insult anyone, I was just pointing out that if you were that good aplayer surely you would have been playing for the adult side if you were not wanted at junior level.

Are you getting regular football now?

If so good for you.

sorry for reacting so harshly,i don't think im a superstar and i never intervene with the managers decisions. i never intended to play for the senior side... i stayed with the youth side because i was with them since under 10's and i wanted to carry on playing for the youth side untill i was to old to play for them. Dobwalls was always close to my heart as a club, when the new under 18's coach took over i felt he had ruined the set up and kept the players who had been there for years at arms length and seemed to favour new players.

Having been involved with St Stephens Borough & having had many close games with them over the years, many of them title deciders, I take the strong view that they deserve to go up to the ECPL.

If Millbrook want to start a reserve side thats fine but let them start at the bottom.

I wish Edgcumbe every success in finding suitable facilities for next season & would suggest that may be the more practical long term solution if Millbrook are likely to threaten them with eviction every season.

I think you are getting confused between Marjons and Plymouth University. Marjons is a sports university and with their in house facilitities and injection of £20 milllion in upgrading facilitites as well as the University urgently wanting to start off in the highest League possible to progress - take Team Bath for instance, then methinks you are a little worried as to what they can achieve.

To play in a league of the ECPL standard you need a consistent squad of good players and after watching and playing against Marjons in the Wednesday league they would struggle in P&D Intermediate league. Then again if they have money to bring in players who knows!

ECPL - marjons were expelled from the P & D League because of their constant failure to comply. They are the same set up as the Uni as they are all ' itinerants', have no loyalty to leagues or areas, club officers and officials change at the drop of a hat, each new season brings the same problems. There is no relationship between the 'Uni' type sides and other clubs because of this.

Do not be lulled into a promise of super facilities to be used, because a good Football Club, to bring it self to the league and relate to other and the area, neeeds more than good facilities.

Plymouth went through this with service sides and their brilliant faciliities, but they failed to deliver on organisation, liaison with the league, administration etc. :SM_carton:

A few observations re Marjons (no real knowledge about the application but son goes there and plays for their first team)

One - I doubt the Wednesday League team would be the same as an ECPL team. On most Wednesday's the first and second teams at Marjon are playing Uni football. The first team this season, for example, were playing against Bristol, Bath, Exeter, Southampton. That said a fair number of those players play at SWPL Prem or One level on Saturdays and many would be keen to continue at that level rather than ECPL.

Two - They have a full-time sports fed office who I think would now help with the admin, at least Mon-Fri

Three - Given economic issues there are now a lot of Marjon students that are relatively 'local' so holidays are not quite such a problem as they were, but it's a reasonable point Home Waters.

Home Waters, i'll think you find Plymouth Command finished quite regularly in the top half of the old South Western league not so many years ago. Not exactly the position of a disorganised football team and organisation. Royal Marines, RNAS Culdrose; need i go on about service sides! There has been the odd occasion when the team sheet has been a bit late but eh no ones perfect!!!!!

I thought all this application crap was over? Isn't it down to who is the best team or team's in the league? ECPL wasn't that the reason you give me last year when i asked why a team like Edgecumbe were not accepted last year but you chose the likes of Elburton and Parkway. Now your going to look at Marjon's, Dobwalls and Millbrook ha ha ha ha.

Rawa if not sure about the rest apart from Dobwalls then

SHUT YOUR GOB SON,

St Dennis may have let the league down before but are fully committed to enter and have a great setup at present with a Mini Soccer Centre also opened recently.

St Dennis still i beleive the only team to win the League 3 times without losing a league game how many times your club won it.

Please don't compare us with Padstow, Dobwalls have got what?

St Teath, Edgcumbe and St Dennis are geared to going up if asked so go find another sport to voice your opinions on and stop slagging off St Dennis.

calm down bates. My gob is correct. I am stating facts.

all geared up???!!! edgcumbe don't even have anywhere to play ( for the record I hope they do get somewhere). St.Teath haven't got great facilities at the moment either.

St. Dennis are a good club, very much so and I am not criticising them but I am saying what happened so get off your high horse. For the record, I meant padstow let the league down, got re-instated and did it again.

Dobwalls have a team in the higher league currently with youth sides and good facilities that's all.

And yes I have won it, and played for a couple clubs that have won it many times before but this isn't about that.

ECPL - marjons were expelled from the P & D League because of their constant failure to comply. They are the same set up as the Uni as they are all ' itinerants', have no loyalty to leagues or areas, club officers and officials change at the drop of a hat, each new season brings the same problems. There is no relationship between the 'Uni' type sides and other clubs because of this.

Do not be lulled into a promise of super facilities to be used, because a good Football Club, to bring it self to the league and relate to other and the area, neeeds more than good facilities.

Plymouth went through this with service sides and their brilliant faciliities, but they failed to deliver on organisation, liaison with the league, administration etc. :SM_carton:

'Itinerants' will not be responsible for the Admin of the teams. That responsibility will fall to full time officers.

The team will not neccessarily consist of current Devon Weds League players - there are plenty of current Marjon 1st team players who don't have a Saturday club right now, and perhaps a few more would like to be part of an exciting project? Think Team Bath and you will get an idea of the direction the college want to take.....

Yes the facilities will be fantastic.

Marjons appreciate that it will take more than just 'facilities', which is why there are currently 2 UEFA B coaches on board, an ex-county football development officer to help build a strong junior section using up to date methods, and sport science and therapy support from lecturing staff.

It may take a few years, but will have the potential of being pretty good.

Because of the cost of attending University nowadays, most students at any given University are more local than you think, so the argument of games being postponed during Christmas and Easter is probably a lot less than in previous years.

Those that aren't too local will hopefully be enthused by the plans of the whole sports club at Marjons, and will be keen to make themselves availble more often than not!

Rawa if Dobwalls want to enter the ECPL they should first get a team capable of winning the Duchy Premier and then apply, not do it the way Calmelford did and get excepted without having a team. They can't enter the League via the Duchy League because only 3 team can be excepted via that route my friend. Edgcumbe, St Teath and St Dennis. I say again all three of these teams are geared up to enter the ECPL and the biggest point here is they already have plyaers capable of stepping up. If Dobwalls got excepted it would again be a miscarriage because, where are there players coming from. I will tell you other clubs around Liskeard and Dobwalls area who have looked after these players this year so it would then disjoint 2 or 3 teams. St Dennis may have upset the League clubs before, but want the chance to prove it was only a minor blip at the time and that they are back on track moving forward with 3 teams and 3 more youth teams planned for next year.

St Teath changing facilities are far better then St Newlyn East or Bere Alston were when they were excepted so they should also be a good candidate.

rawa dont worry about edgcumbe we'll have somewhere to play. As i've already said if Millbrook are unsuccessful then we'll still be playin down there, and i've heard that face to face with their chairman.

Personally think Dobwalls (like millbrook) shouldnt have even been considered. Yes dobwalls have always generally hadf a good setup, but i agree with jonny, they have to get into the Duchy premier 1st and win that like everybody else.

Mind you i think in situations like this its mainly down to WHO you know as opposed to how good you are.

Guest SPECTATOR

It's simple really. If a team in the Duchy Premier League has an ambition to get into the East Cornwall League, their first objective should be to get their pitch and facilities to the required standard. Teams must reach those required standards! Then to achieve the promotion, they should WIN the Duchy Premier League (or finish in 2nd if the rules stipulate that the top two teams win promotion)! The bottom one or two teams in the East Cornwall League One would then be relegated to the Duchy Premier. The top of East Cornwall League One would then be promoted to the EC Premier, with the bottom one (or two) in the Premier then relegated to EC Div One. The Champions of the East Cornwall Premier (and maybe the runners-up also), could then apply for the Peninsula League, if their pitch and facilities reach the required standard and they do not already have a first team in the Peninsula League.

The above system is the way league competitions should be run, otherwise what is the point of having league competition! Promoting a team into a higher league when they are not in the top one or two positions in their present league, just makes a mockery of the competition. And a part of the pride of being promoted, is being the league WINNERS (or RUNNERS-UP).

The standard of our senior leagues will continue to get worse, if the best teams from each season are not the only ones who get promoted to the higher league. So to conclude,,,,,,,, a team (for example) that finish half way or bottom in the Duchy Premier League (or are in Duchy One) gets put into the East Cornwall League next season, just makes the whole thing a joke.

Well 'Prof' - if the facilities are going to be that good and the students and staff are going to be here over all the holiday periods, plus marjons have development money from Plymouth City Council, why aren't you applying to a Plymouth league in order to 'repay' the investment by Plymouth City Council. :SM_carton:

Instead of making misguided opinions about the confirmed applicants facilities, players, pitch, etc. Can we just look at the facts!

There are currently 14 teams in EC Prem and 15 in EC Div 1, meaning 3 places up for grabs (no team has of yet applied for SW Peninsula).

The team that wins the Duchy Premier League will be GUARANTEED promotion (providing facilities are accepted), as it stands probably one of St Dennis, St Teath or Edgcumbe, with the latter having the best form. For these 3 to apply, it must mean they have facilities already or will invest prior to the new season starting.

Its then up to the other clubs to put their case forward to the member clubs to be voted in, they will need to showcase what they have to offer and those that get voted in get voted in.

THATS HOW IT IS!

As for opinions, I for one believe promotion should be earnt firstly ON the pitch and not who has the best changing rooms! !

p.s. I quote from the Cornish Times "Although it is understood there may be more applicants prior to the leagues AGM"

This debate is far from over ! ! :wacko:

SPECTATOR - In theory this would be an ideal way for all league to work but as we all know thw ECPL have an awful lot of reserve teams in it. For example if the league finished as follows then what happens if Sticker apply for promotion:

Torpoint

Saltash

Launceston

Bodmin

Liskeard

Tavistock

Wadebridge

Sticker

All the teams above cannnot apply for promotion unless their first teams successfully apply for promotion and take up the promotion. So will Sticker be allowed promotion?????

Changing facilities at st teath will be ready ,as i have previously said,as a club we cant do anymore to put our case forward so to speak.Fact is we are in a very strong league at the moment and are in dog fight with 2 other clubs for what we believe to be 1 spot.I dont think anyone really expected St TEATH to be any where near promotion this year,we are building all the time and as a club if we are susseesfull we will be ready to compete.Edgecumbe will win the league in my opinion because they are the best side,currently we are top and will fight to the end,but we are also commited to providing a ground that we can say is fit for senior football.Whats going to happen,! no one knows and wont for a very long time.

There may be a problem with Marjons, which is the same problem with the University set up in the P & D League. Their season would start around 3-4 weeks after the official start, would clubs be happy to play mid week games so early in the season so that they are able to catch up ?

Personally, no team should be allowed to enter the league unless they have finished top 2 in their respective leagues. At the end of the day it is the clubs who make that decision.

kitbag, what is actually wrong with your facilities at the moment? Yeah the changing rooms are on the small side but they do a job and have showers etc.

Pitch is fine and on a good day is one of the better surfaces in the league.

Same with St Dennis as well.

Hi bigdawg,the fa guidelines ask for 1m2 per person for changing facilities and a drying area in the shower rooms.I project managed the new set up at Wadebridge and Camelford respectively andknow this is what is required for senior football.The league dont ask for it at the moment but should anyone apply for funding it would be a requirement.At the moment we will try to do the work in house to avoid delays with funding ,which seems to take forever.The pitch causes me more concern i want it to be on a par with Bodmin and penryn ,we will need funding for that .Good luck with your ground hunt,a permennant home is needed if you are progreess.What about the St Stephens borough pitch is that close enough to you or is it fully booked.

Guest SPECTATOR

JOHN THE BAPTIST: Yes I am aware of that situation and should have covered it in my email. If that happened (and it's just my opinion), then MAYBE the 3rd placed team in the ECPL should then have the chance to be promoted, if the ones finishing 1st and 2nd have first teams in the Peninsula League. I would not go lower than the 3rd placed team getting promotion, so if the top 3 all have first teams in the Peninsula, then there would be no relegation from the Peninsula and no promotion from the ECPL in that particular season.

The priority is to have a fair league system, which would also help senior football be at a good standard. I cannot see the point in teams/clubs being permitted to leap frog their way from the lower leagues into senior football, without earning it on the pitch. What is the point in teams going out on the pitch every week, competing for every point and then at the end of the season their efforts aren't rewarded with promotion if they finish at the top. But if a team wants to have senior football, then their pitch must be at the required standard. As I said before, I think it's a joke if a team finishing in a low position in their league, can apply for and get promotion.

at the end of the day, it's sad that the teams who win and are the best don't go up. But facilities have to be considered aswell. Has to be a mix of both. Fingers crossed Edgcumbe get somewhere. It's a tough one to sort out. I don't mind whoever it is as long as it improves the league all round.

I do not know where this argument comes from re - Marjons. Whenever the season starts then that is when it starts. Its interesting to note that teams like Biscovey didn't start their home campaign until 4th October (after 7 away matches) because they are not alowed to use the pitch until then. Lifton started their home campaign on 3rd September after three matches away due to cricket. Marjons will have given their assurances to the league so I really do not know what the problem is. Clubs do have the option of asking the league for permission not to play on certain days so again where is the problem. Don't the clubs get a form for them to complete before the season starts?

Just a note regarding the discussion of who wants promotion from the ECPL for the 2009/10 season. The answer is NONE

This is on the SWPL web site re - promotions

APPLICATIONS FOR PROMOTION : The League are able to announce that the following clubs have applied for Promotion :

To Step 5 - None

To Step 6 - From Division 1 West : Callington Town, Newquay, Penzance & St Austell

To Step 6 - From Division 1 East : Bovey Tracey, Exeter Civil Service, Galmpton Gents, Royal Marines & Stoke Gabriel

To Step 7 - From Cornwall Combination League : Perranporth

To Step 7 - From Devon & Exeter League : Bickleigh, Exmouth Amateurs, Feniton & Topsham Town.

The applicant clubs will have a ground inspection in April and final decisions on promotion & relegation will not take place until May when the result of inspections and final league positions are known.