Cornwall Football Forum

Guest The Judge aka RED OR DEAD

There are some I have spoken to, who wondered why this forum went down about the same time the Truro story was made public, how some minds work eh !

As for the players, why would some leave League clubs to join a Cornish club in the lower reaches of the Pyramid... just how ambitious were they to play at the highest level possible ? Nothing to do with money at all I'm guessing !

The pathetic ramblings of the glory hunters really are nonsensical, and some call me blind and biased.

Yeah there is mention of the wages cut on the TigerTalk forum, but not a great deal of chat about it. But then, what is there to say about it anyway.

Money reduced, but then the players are probably still getting more than at a lot of other clubs, and anyway, third in the league and in with a chance of winning the league still - why go anywhere else, money isn't everything. Some do play for trophies as well.

Guest Man on the Post

I remember watching you Dave and I am very surprised that you were paid, but not surprised that you didn't train twice a week! :yahoo::yahoo: :smiley20:

This is the report from the newspaper website

TRURO City talisman Stewart Yetton says it will be business as usual for the squad when they take on Slough Town at Treyew Road on Saturday, despite the players being told they face a 50% wage deferral until possibly the end of the season.

Is it true they are not guarunteed that they will get their back pay and bonus's. BBC said they might not on it's Website

It had been feared that the news, given to the players and coaching staff last week, could spark a player exodus, but City's leading scorer believes it could even bring the squad closer together as they bid to get out of Division One South & West of the Southern League at the first attempt and earn a fourth successive promotion.

It is understood the players were told that the other 50% of their wages and any bonuses would be paid in May.

Like I said what is the difference in not paying wages now compared to May

But in the meantime, they would receive just half of their pay as the credit crunch continues to affect sports clubs in Cornwall with the club chairman Kevin Heaney's property empire particularly badly hit by the recession.

Mr Heaney's money has brought unprecedented success for the club as he pursues his dream of taking City into the Football League.

They have won three promotions in a row and in 2007 they also became the first club from the county to win the FA Vase when they beat AFC Totton 3-1 in the final at Wembley.

And Yetton who has been a major part of that success says the players understand the problems the chairman faces.

"It is disappointing of course," he said, "but we all accept we are in difficult times and everyone is in the same boat.

"The club has been honest with us and at the end of the day finances are tight and we all accept and appreciate that.

"The chairman has been brilliant for the lads and we are all going to pull together. He needs our help.

"No-one has thrown their toys out of the window and as far as I know nobody has said they are going anywhere.

"The morale is good and I think it might if anything bring us closer together.

"We are all professionals and have got a contract until the end of the season and we want to win this league for the club and fans."

Only contracts to the end of the season. What happens then? More money if they win promotion as gates won't increase so will put club under more pressure. Will players be told sorry there is no more money so like it or lump it.

It is also believed admin staff at the club have had a pay cut of around 20%.

Yesterday Mr Heaney said he did not wish to comment on the situation other than to say his hunger and desire for the club to succeed was as strong as ever.

Well I guess everyone was looking to see what the response was today - and the result speaks volumes. Truro were shocking in the first half and it made me think that the things happening off the pitch were starting to prove too much for a few.

Im guessing the lads had some choice words from their manager as they were excellent in the second half and deserved their three points. The cohesiveness of the team is there to see (although Marcus Martin may have a few apologies to make after today), the discipline of the side seemed excellent and the quality in the second half was there to be seen - and not a bad turnout either.

I'm getting a bit bored reading the jealous and snide comments being made about Truro and I don't feel that the financial situation should be used as grounds to undermine what has been a very good season for Truro so far. It's easy to take cheap shots, I thought I'd go along and see for myself how Truro are doing (it's not very often we get a Saturday afternoon off!) and I really enjoyed it, regardless of some of the things I read on here.

Ctb why do you persist with your jealous and snide comments about Truro City Football Club.What Truro are doing to combat the credit crunch has nothing what so ever to do with you.If anybody should be having a moan it should be the Truro City team and its supporters,but everyone that I have spoken to at the club are quite happy and understanding at the action that has been undertaken by the club,everyone seems to agree its far better to take action now rather than late in the season when it could be to late.

You would be better concentrating on your own club on the ways to combat the downturn as it's a very good chance that they will also have to make cuts of some kind before the season is out.

And once again Truro have answered all it's critics in the best possible way this afternoon with a 2-1 win over Slough Town and a gate of nearly 400.

There you go, Mr Truro's M has hit the nail on the head. If you don't like the truth or can't stand someone having a pop at the arrogance of Truro City and the owner who ripped off local businesses, then don't read my posts.

Not one person has answered any of the following points.

Whatever happened to the 16,000 all seater stadium - 3+ years and still waiting.

Ripped off local business folk but continued to pay OTT wages to players.

Crowds on the slide, under 400 now and heading downwards, theres the real reason for cutting wages.

Crowds on the up in SWPL Div 1 West, the balance of power will be restored sooner than you think. IF Truro do go up, and the owner goes back on yet another promise (to pay players in May), how many will stand by the club and travel even further for half pay ?

If my own teams game is cancelled and I decide to go and watch Truro instead can I offer to pay half the admission fee now and the other half at the end of the season only money is a bit tight at the moment with the credit crunch.

I promise I will pay.......

Do you think the guy at the gate will believe me.......

No I dont either!

Guest Postie Pidge

Its a shame Derek Giles isnt a football player, he'd have been well happy to get his money in May rather than not at all.

How is Treyew Rd looking with his £35k asphalt improvements anyway?

That's a good point!

There you go, Mr Truro's M has hit the nail on the head. If you don't like the truth or can't stand someone having a pop at the arrogance of Truro City and the owner who ripped off local businesses, then don't read my posts.

Whatever happened to the 16,000 all seater stadium - 3+ years and still waiting.

Crowds on the slide, under 400 now and heading downwards, theres the real reason for cutting wages.

Crowds on the up in SWPL Div 1 West, the balance of power will be restored sooner than you think. IF Truro do go up, and the owner goes back on yet another promise (to pay players in May), how many will stand by the club and travel even further for half pay ?

I'm a neutral on Truro, I support Ipswich town and a local Sunday league team.

I'm all for a Cornish club in the upper reaches of the football league, don't care if that club is from the far east of the county or the far west. It's embarassing to live in the only regional part of England with at the moment a step 8 side trying and probably failing in reaching a higher status. Every other football club in Cornwall is in step 12 and below, that is a joke. I see you are a Newquay fan, maybe Newquay can have some ambition and go up the leagues rather than kick about in mediocrity.

I know, we are geographically disavantaged down here but it hasn't stopped Penzance/Newlyn, Redruth, Launceston, Mounts Bay and in the past Camborne playing national rugby at higher levels, and be honest rugby has no where near the money that there is in football. We only have one football club in the whole of Cornwall trying to go up the leagues and yet we get people like you having a pop every chance you get.

Obviously you personally must have been done over by Truro at some point, but get over it mate or you are just going to stew and explode all over Fristal beach. Hate to clear that mess up.

is there a reason why you care soooo much about them??

i dont support truro at all il go to the odd game because its a cheaper alternative to watchimg plymouth and i just cant see why anyone would object to what they are trying to do??

it surely cant be bad for cornish football its just little pathetic men like you dont wanna see any tema other then your own be succesful!!

Guest danny-efc-pafc

16,000 seater? teams in the championship have smaller stadiums.. what league are truro playing in the premiership or something a 16,000 seater in the league that truro are in wud be stupitdy? costs etc?

16,000 seater? teams in the championship have smaller stadiums.. what league are truro playing in the premiership or something a 16,000 seater in the league that truro are in wud be stupitdy? costs etc?

I think there was an good idea of a Ground share with the Cornish Pirates who need the capacity to get into the Rugby Premiership.

I'm a neutral on Truro, I support Ipswich town and a local Sunday league team.

I'm all for a Cornish club in the upper reaches of the football league, don't care if that club is from the far east of the county or the far west. It's embarassing to live in the only regional part of England with at the moment a step 8 side trying and probably failing in reaching a higher status. Every other football club in Cornwall is in step 12 and below, that is a joke. I see you are a Newquay fan, maybe Newquay can have some ambition and go up the leagues rather than kick about in mediocrity.

I know, we are geographically disavantaged down here but it hasn't stopped Penzance/Newlyn, Redruth, Launceston, Mounts Bay and in the past Camborne playing national rugby at higher levels, and be honest rugby has no where near the money that there is in football. We only have one football club in the whole of Cornwall trying to go up the leagues and yet we get people like you having a pop every chance you get.

Obviously you personally must have been done over by Truro at some point, but get over it mate or you are just going to stew and explode all over Fristal beach. Hate to clear that mess up.

No club in Cornwall can go up the steps unless you got money, Mr Heaney has come into Truro and put his money in. Take that away and Truro would still be an average SWL side. Its not about ambition, its about having money available

[quote name='St Darren' date='Feb 5 2009, 06:19 PM' post='84003'

No club in Cornwall can go up the steps unless you got money, Mr Heaney has come into Truro and put his money in. Take that away and Truro would still be an average SWL side. Its not about ambition, its about having money available

People need to stop comparing Rugby and Football in this country

There are far more better standard rugby players in this county than there are footballers. Redruth and Launceston are effectively playing in the third tier of national Rugby. Truro City are effectively playing in the 8th tier (I think) of the football league. In their squad of 18 or so, only 5 or so are from Cornwall aren't they?

Redruth get a good crowd of over a 1000 in for most Rugby games, they've got good sponsorship deals in place, thats how they survive.

On another financial note, it would be intesting to compare the rugby wage bill to the football wage bill!!!

Why ask ? Who I support has nothing to do with this thread, you could have PM'd me and I would have told you.

Likewise, if you had been an avid reader of my postings like some others are, you would know I am Chelsea by birth, being born just 2 miles from The Shed End.

That's not too bad for you Mr TM, although perhaps you should be listening out for the Stable Door and Bolting Horses rampaging down Treyew Road.

Why ask ? Who I support has nothing to do with this thread, you could have PM'd me and I would have told you.

Likewise, if you had been an avid reader of my postings like some others are, you would know I am Chelsea by birth, being born just 2 miles from The Shed End.

A cockney spouting absolute crap in a Cornish football forum, dear god, we will have brummies in here next.

Guest Peppermint

I thought that Truro's Mr M was going to suggest that The Judge was born in a stable on the 25th December - The Judge would really have thought he was Jesus Christ then!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I may have been over optimistic when I said everyone knows I'm GOD, but I often hear Mrs Judge saying "Oh my God" in various contexts. I bow to thy superior Godliness Isaac, I am a mere trainee treading in your sandal footsteps.

Surmon from The Mount (Wise) will continue for all faithful followers who come to worship at the feet of Robbo, who has assumed God like status endorsed by those wise men of the press.

From Mount WISE, MEN (3 of them) did come bearing gifts of goals, Frank was incenced (Joseph was definately not in the box) and Brrr. Once again, those Wise Men did double the attendance..

Guest Peppermint

For goodness sake Somersetspur - I only made a tongue in cheek remark - at least Truro's Mr M has a sense of humour.

It seems whether you are posting on Truro City or Tottenham Hotspur you have to be so agressive with everyone.

When this great Forum loses its sense of humour and the good natured banter then I will not bother anymore.

As we are children of Adam & Eve (both of whom as far as I'm aware were not born within the sounds of men crying "Heva") then who is to say what each of our own hertigaes are.

Perhaps I have Grandparents who hailed from this great County, would I qualify for a Cornish passport ? Although being a Devonian stuck in the arse end of England, perhaps you should stick your inferior pasties where the sun don't shine. I'm more than happy to have lived in my adopted home country of Cornwall for more than 11 years and lend my support to Newquay AFC.

Viva Kernow !

As a person who is so Cornish that when I married somebody from Weston- super-mare Mother criticised her northern accent, I welcome you to God's Country, Judge. If you ever need to leave the corrupted, semi-anglicised border-country of the far east (Goonhavern upwards) and get a visa for the People's Republic of Just, I will do my best to get you a safe conduct pass and to keep the Savage Granite Women of Madron and suchlike at a reasonable distance from your person.

Somerset Spur, known as S.S., always fears what he can't understand, having left Cornwall because the pace of life down here was too hot for him. He now lives in Taunt On: the very name is an invitation to mockery.

Normally he confines himself to the non-Cornish forum, where he is perplexed by the persistent hysterical meeriment directed at Tottingham Thickspud. I understand that he is, by profession, a polejumper for BT, so, as you would expect, his sense of humour is fairly unsophisticated. I expect he prefers old jokes , so am trying to find his address at present, in order to dispatch a piece of paper with both sides inscribed

"Please Turn Over for excitement at White Hart Lane."

Should keep him busy and off-line for weeks........ :D

Responding to the original theme, the question of wage cuts has been covered in the press and the team showed immense spirit and togetherness (by all accounts of those who were there) in beating Totton 2 - 0, so those issues are closed. I still think automatic promotion will be a bridge too far: but you all know how red-hot my predictions were on Radio Cornwall (when it had a sports programme). As for other, off-theme offerings: sorry, Judge. 11 years? Pah! 36 years after arriving here my wife (a Redruth Opie) and her mother (a St Blazey Richardson) actually gave me a tiepin and cufflinks bearing the cross of St Piran and allow me to wear them in public. My wife still threatens to send me home when we barney, though. And, Mountaineer, yes, as a Chelsea fan I gain no pleasure from their bought success, none at all. I was actually sorry Hull didn't score last week. And, yes, I do support Chelsea! And now they've appointed a part-time manager. That should do the trick! Truro, though: well, I've witnessed Cornwall copping 36 years-worth of the crappy end of the stick in all sorts of areas, so anything that boosts it as a County, Duchy or country, whichever you prefer, I support. The 1991 Twickenham win put a smile on so many faces down here for months. Real success for Truro might do the same on a smaller scale, so let's hope Kevin Heaney survives the recession and comes out the other side able to keep bankrolling the club until it finds some level of success. :c:

Hello Tom, Pleased you are still enjoying your sport despite the demise of RADIO CORNWALL :SM_carton:

I admit to not having an affection for the MODERN Chelski.

The good old days were different, back in the late 1950's, early 1960's I was often at the Bridge working, during that era I had the best football coach I ever had, Roy Bentley, even though he was away with Chelsea, when I was on the pitch playing elsewhere I would be aware of his input, balls commentators drool over now, were the norm if you followed the Bentley view of how the game should be played, Roy drilled awareness into you, you ended up doing what he would expect you to do even though he was not there. :drink:

When working at Stamford Bridge and White Hart Lane I was always welcomed like one of the lads, however, Highbury was a different matter, I shall never have any feeling for the gooners even though they may be playing in Europe against foreign opposition.