Cornwall Football Forum

Defunct Cornish Football Clubs

Guest Man on the Post

I played in goal and outfield for St Lawrences. Played against G & D, good team for years. I also played against RAF St Mawgan on Bodmin Fair Park (once coming straight from a party) Played against Blisland and poleaxed a Greenaway. Got away with it too, just. Played at St Tudy, Port Isacc and St Mabyn.

Cape Cornwall played for several years on St Just school field. Heamoor also ran a team briefly. St Eval ran a team, separately from RAF St Mawgan, at one time. Then there was Botallack, way back. Enjoyed CTB's comment about St Just being the leading club in Penwith in 1928: nice to see in that case that one thing hasn#'t changed ! :drink:

My father-in-law, Bill Opie, who would be in his mid-eighties if he was still alive, told me he used to play for Broad Lane. That would have been in the late 1930s, I think.

Another post mentions womens' teams, so Illogan Ladies (one time WFA Cup quarter finalists) - who moved to Truro and were the original Truro City Ladies, who then moved to become Penzance Ladies. There was another good Cornish women's club, Pelynt, who produced an England full-back in the 1980s.

Carnon Downs played in a farm field to the rear of Carnon Crescent, the first pitch is now part of the bypass & the second one was in the next field. The changing room was a shed in the lane. They painted it one day, some of the farmers bullocks licked the paint & died! Football in Carnon Downs died that day as well!! Prior to that they won the Mining League Div 2 in 1973/4, still got my medal! They played in Mining 1 for a few years after that, up until the bullocks b******d the shed!

Carnon Downs played in a farm field to the rear of Carnon Crescent, the first pitch is now part of the bypass & the second one was in the next field. The changing room was a shed in the lane. They painted it one day, some of the farmers bullocks licked the paint & died! Football in Carnon Downs died that day as well!! Prior to that they won the Mining League Div 2 in 1973/4, still got my medal! They played in Mining 1 for a few years after that, up until the bullocks b******d the shed!

Couple of questions for you,

Did the team start up from a group of Perranwell players?

Was there a style to go over to get in the field? and what colour shirts did you play in?

SF. The Shirehorse used to play on a farm just past Halsetown , towards St.Ives. We used to meet at the club/pub car park, the farmer would load you on to the trailer, & away we went.....??

Changing rooms ? were. a barn, with a blanket across one corner for the ref..Straw cover floor.no showers.

Then out in to the field, kick the thistles over whilst some poor sod shoveled horse dung to the sidelines. :D

The worst bit being the hoof prints these bloody beasts left all over the place..? Could be 2 inches deep,& a twisted ankle was the least of your worries.

( And you try telling the kids of today.?).......Don't :rolleyes: know they're born..................

I started my mens playing career with PLEMYC - Paynters Lane Ens Methodist Youth club - we played on the Park Road pitch in Camborne - and played against some well known characters from the Camborne Redruth area - Andy McGuiness, Graham Quick, Nigel Hale, Dennis Hick, Tim Pooly, Treve James to name but a few.

We were a young side - many of which went on to play senior football - Tubby Mitchell, Robert "Foggy" Warne, Tex Tromans and at one time or other Clifford and Roy Calloway and Boxer Calloway played for us in goal but then this was in the late 60's early 70's.

David "Daisy" May - nowadays refereeing senior Rugbyand his brother Peter who I believe went on to play for Camborne Rugby, a guy called John Menzle and then there was Salvatore Nuciforo who boxed professionally - tenuous link - he fought a Plymouth guy called Vernon Penpraze and lost on points - Penpraze fought an Irishman in his next bout - and lost heavily to a guy called Barry McGuigan - I think Salvi is now living in the Stithians area

I got some of these from other posts on this forum and some that i did know so hope this helps, As far as i know these teams are no longer playing but sorry if there are a few that are

BOSCOWAN

WILLIAM IV

PENRYN BOROUGH

HUMPHRY DAVY

TRURO ATHLETIC

OLD QUAY INN

GWEEK A.F.C.

REDRUTH RANGERS

BARLEY SHEAF

THREE FERRETS

KENNACK RANGERS

GOONHILLY F.C.

ST.IVES R.B.L.

BICLAND RANGERS

CULDROSE OLD BOYS

CHURCHTOWN

TRURO CITY ATHLETIC

F.C. TRURO

ROSKEAR RANGERS

FALMOUTH ACADEMICALS

GODOLPHIN CLUB

ANGEL HOTEL

BUNTERS BAR

TRURO TESCO

MULLION JUNIORS

COPPERHOUSE

CENTRAL LADS

KERNICK F.C.

BLUE ARROW

OXFORD INN

MORTGAGE GROUP

BALTIC PINE

OLD SMITHY

KERNOW ENTERTAINERS

CHOUGHS INN

PENRYN UNITED

A.G. SPORTS

FALMOUTH EXCHANGE

CAMBORNE WANDERERS

ST.IVES LEGION

TUCKINGMILL HOTEL

CHANNEL FOODS

BLUE ARROW

TERRILLS

CASTAWAYS

LIZARD ARGYLE

GASCO RANGERS

RAF SCORPIONS

KENNACK SANDS

Christ having a read through those names brought back some memories of all the places I used to visit on a Sunday morning when I was a kid and followed me Dad's all conquering Sunday league side in the early 90's.

Good times :thumbsup:

DOES ANYONE REMEMBER WHEN KELYNACK HAD A TEAM....MADE UP FROM PLAYERS FROM SENNEN AND ST JUST....BUT I DON'T THINK THEY WERE AROUND FOR TOO LONG..IN THE 70'S

Yes...their star was Michael Williams, still a well-known Methodist local preacher. Robert Matthews, formerly of St Just Combo, went there for a season as well.

The first ever game I watched live was in the West Penwith League, with St Just Reserves losing to Kelynack at Lafrowda Park. That was in 1966-7, just after the first game I ever remember on TV, the World Cup final at Wembley....but I'd still rather watch St Just, my own independent nation, than the England team any day :drink::c: .

Yes...their star was Michael Williams, still a well-known Methodist local preacher. Robert Matthews, formerly of St Just Combo, went there for a season as well.

The first ever game I watched live was in the West Penwith League, with St Just Reserves losing to Kelynack at Lafrowda Park. That was in 1966-7, just after the first game I ever remember on TV, the World Cup final at Wembley....but I'd still rather watch St Just, my own independent nation, than the England team any day :drink::c: .

For Kelynack, you turn left off the Penzance to St Just road just before the sign welcoming you to "St Just City Limits."

The Kelynack pitch was the field to the right of the St.Just to Quaker's Burial Ground road, just after James Howard Eddy's farm on the right and before you get to the Kel;ynack School, where my mother was educated, and to the St Just International Airport. There used to be a sign outside the airport saying "Danger Pasties."

:drink: :c:

Hello, Peppermint....yes, it helps me to send myself to sleep. See you on Saturday. I suppose now Newton Abbot have folded we shall be facing the full might of the SWPL Western Division professionals in the Combo at Mount Wise. Gwain to be blawing a brea old skeet and henting down, apparently....that's how St Just like it !

Hello, Peppermint...yes, it he...

Doing it again !! :drink::yahoo::c: :D

Guest Peppermint

Newquay will be fielding a side that will the Reserves and not the first team except any player who needs a run out. Newton Abbot were not in Newquay's league so it is just a free weekend for them.

I am at neigbours Godolphin Atlantic doing some reporting for the radio on their game with Penzance but I will be back at Mount Wise straight after thematch.

Hopefully you will be still in the bar - will treat you to a drink whether you or Newquay wins!!!!!

Best wishes Graham

When my family moved down to Cornwall (yes, we're emmets) my dad played for Busby Gents and, I think, Red Jackets.

I played for Heathcoats SC and Barripper in the 80s in the Mining League and remember you always knew you'd been in a game against the likes of the A Div Police and Nancegollan! And a Malabar defender once did his utmost to carve my teenage body in half with a waist high studs up 'tackle'. I wouldn't have minded had the ball not been at my feet at the time!! :SM_carton:

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry Ron for the late reply. Have'nt been on for ages. Carnon Downs was founded by a guy called Billy Lawer, who is probably much better known for his bowls. I was a kid when they played their first ever match at Carnon Downs playing field. The pitch was so short that I could kick a ball from one end to the other, even when I was about 12. They played in tangerine shirts to begin with, then red, then dark blue, then a sky blue Coventry strip. A number of players played for both Perran and Carnon Downs, some of the most notable being Tony Gibbs, Graham Phillips, Roger Addey, Tony Paddock, Andrew Beasley & yours truly. Seems like yesterday! :drink:

funny how some things stick in your mind, I remember the sky blue Carnon Downs team and the rough idea of the pitch whereabouts even though i was probably only 5 or six years old. Would have probably been there watching Soccer Follower and my brother John playing at the back for Chacewater.

Cheers for the info Rob. :Santa:

The first pitch at the end of Carnon Crescent was imeadiately on the right as you went down the lane, the second pitch was the next field down on the right. We did have a useful side for a couple of years, winning Mining 2 in 73, I was 15 & scored 30 goals, Roger Addey scored 34. I played another season there in Mining 1 before going to Truro City. Tony Hawke was the manager & the team was picked by the comittee. The team for saturday was pinned up on a wednesday in the Kiddleywink stores, which was next door to the garage. Everybody used to stop off to see if they were playing. Happy days!

Hi H, I had left for Truro before the cow fiasco. I don't think they carried on after that. I know Mount Wellington played up at Baldhu & I think a few of the old Carnon players may have played for them. Malabar also played up there. I played once up there for Falmouth Town in a pre season friendly against Mount Wellington, it was a good flat pitch, had the odd cow pat here & there though! Carnon's pitch was always covered in sheep s*** & with no showers, you sometimes went home smelling a bit sweet!!

Remember playing Culdrose O.B.'s in the Sunday League,apologies if they're still going,but have lost touch with Sunday footie in the area.

Didn't Mylor reform a few years ago,didn't last long.

Remember Falmouth Docks very well,my Grandad played for them,and two of my childhood mates Dad played in goal,knew him as Mr.Moore,it was he who took me to Falmouth Town for the first time,and i've been hooked since.

Watched the Post Office a few times,Andy Angove in goal if my memory is correct,went on to play for Town

i believe.

Played for Budock Rangers as a boy,was on the wrong end of a few hidings from Penfal,who used to play

opposite Evans cash and carry,the Budock pitch sloped about 45 degrees from one touchline to the other.

My 2nd or 3rd game after qualifying as a referee was Duchy vs. Fal Athletic!

Guest Phil Dingle

There used to be a team called Cornwall Mills and according to my Dad who played for them they were a bit special in the Duchy league. They played there home games at Par Moor where they built that dodgy Market.

phil dingle hi and happy crimbo yes cornwall mills were the side in cornwall i worked with mike rowden garry rowdens dad and mikes dad used to run them mike played for them before he went to bristol city with his brother and yes they played behind the britannia before it became a stock car track , metts

• 2 weeks later...

tredrea became harlyn if i remember rightly

played there first ever friendly away to veryan( also now defunct)

rmember u changed in a pub toilet, drove to old macdonalds farm and played around the animals there, scored a mint header only to be laughed at by team mates whilst celebrating as had a huge lump of cow shite stcuk to my head!!

• 2 weeks later...

COLAN FC ( CORNWALL SUNDAY LEAGUE )

FITZGERALD ( CORNWALL SUNDAY LEAGUE )

BUCCANEAR (WHICH IS NOW CALLED TOP OF THE TOWN IN NEWQUAY ) ( CORNWALL SUNDAY LEAGUE )

RAF ST MAWGAN ( CORNWALL SUNDAY LEAGUE )

FAMOUS FIRKIN ( CORNWALL SUNDAY LEAGUE )

PORTH LODGE ( CORNWALL SUNDAY LEAGUE )

CORKERS ( CORNWALL SUNDAY LEAGUE )