Cornwall Football Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Man on the Post

Defunct Cornish Football Clubs

HARROWBARROW & METHERELL (WON THE LAUNCESTON & DISTRICT KO CUP ONCE)

WADEBRIDGE LADIES, SADLY MISSED.

SOUTHGATE SENIORS.

TIDEFORD.

ST GILES.

ROSELAND.

NORMAN'S CASH AND CARRY (LAUNCESTON, YES THEY PLAYED LEAGUE AND CUP MATCHES, PLAYED A FEW TIMES MYSELF)

Didn't Southgate start up again this season or is that a different club?

Didn't St Giles change its name to South Petherwin? Think they still play in the Kingsley League.

Guest Monty

Played for Duchy Vs Mabe in the FHL and Vs Goonhilly whilst on leave from the Army.

As a Junior played in a very good Budock Rangers side and Penfal Athletic and also Vs sides like Camborne Lions AND Redruth Dynamos

Those where the days when jumpers were used for goalposts and you always stood in or rolled around in dogshite.

:smiley20:

I got some of these from other posts on this forum and some that i did know so hope this helps, As far as i know these teams are no longer playing but sorry if there are a few that are

BOSCOWAN

WILLIAM IV

PENRYN BOROUGH

HUMPHRY DAVY

TRURO ATHLETIC

OLD QUAY INN

GWEEK A.F.C.

REDRUTH RANGERS

BARLEY SHEAF

THREE FERRETS

KENNACK RANGERS

GOONHILLY F.C.

ST.IVES R.B.L.

BICLAND RANGERS

CULDROSE OLD BOYS

CHURCHTOWN

TRURO CITY ATHLETIC

F.C. TRURO

ROSKEAR RANGERS

FALMOUTH ACADEMICALS

GODOLPHIN CLUB

ANGEL HOTEL

BUNTERS BAR

TRURO TESCO

MULLION JUNIORS

COPPERHOUSE

CENTRAL LADS

KERNICK F.C.

BLUE ARROW

OXFORD INN

MORTGAGE GROUP

BALTIC PINE

OLD SMITHY

KERNOW ENTERTAINERS

CHOUGHS INN

PENRYN UNITED

A.G. SPORTS

FALMOUTH EXCHANGE

CAMBORNE WANDERERS

ST.IVES LEGION

TUCKINGMILL HOTEL

CHANNEL FOODS

BLUE ARROW

TERRILLS

CASTAWAYS

LIZARD ARGYLE

GASCO RANGERS

RAF SCORPIONS

KENNACK SANDS

Urban Spaceman, Sorry post edited and yes they are all Sunday clubs

As stated i got some of the info from the forum and quite a few i do remember

The post was Defunct Cornish Football Clubs but no one has stated weather it is only Saturday teams so i am guessing Sunday teams are also allowed as they are Cornish Football Clubs are they not ? :)

Guest Postie Pidge

Crantock played in an Arsenal style kit and played on a flat farmers field with the pigs on one side

They played just out of the village on the road to Newquay.

At one time (about mid-60's )Crantock played in the East Cornwall League,having come up through the Mining League.They,i think,disbanded and reformed a few years later.

When they started to struggle for players,the team bus would be sent into Newquay and a trawl was undertaken through the pubs to find enough players to fulfill the fixture.Turned out with a few outstanding players who had trials for league clubs and who just hopped onto the bus for a game.

I played in goal and outfield for St Lawrences. Played against G & D, good team for years. I also played against RAF St Mawgan on Bodmin Fair Park (once coming straight from a party) Played against Blisland and poleaxed a Greenaway. Got away with it too, just. Played at St Tudy, Port Isacc and St Mabyn.

Cape Cornwall played for several years on St Just school field. Heamoor also ran a team briefly. St Eval ran a team, separately from RAF St Mawgan, at one time. Then there was Botallack, way back. Enjoyed CTB's comment about St Just being the leading club in Penwith in 1928: nice to see in that case that one thing hasn#'t changed ! :drink:

Guest Postie Pidge

From previous Falmouth-Helston tables:

Falmouth Youth Club

Falmouth BL

William IV

Pool SC

Truro GWRSA

Goonhilly

My father-in-law, Bill Opie, who would be in his mid-eighties if he was still alive, told me he used to play for Broad Lane. That would have been in the late 1930s, I think.

Another post mentions womens' teams, so Illogan Ladies (one time WFA Cup quarter finalists) - who moved to Truro and were the original Truro City Ladies, who then moved to become Penzance Ladies. There was another good Cornish women's club, Pelynt, who produced an England full-back in the 1980s.

Guest Spenny

Raymond Rovers played on the always wet pitch on Raymond road in Redruth, same place as Redruth Rangers sunday league side at the time.

Guest Postie Pidge

Trebellan (from Newquay) and Cubert who both played in the Mining League in the late 1990s

Guest Postie Pidge

As did Falmouth GPO.

Falmouth Post Office (1999/2000) became Falmouth Albion

Shirehorse in the old West Penwith League.? They used to give you a lift to the ground on a tractor and trailer.. Then the usual .change in the barn, watch them shovel horse crap off the (pitch)?

Guest Robbie

Carnon Downs played in a farm field to the rear of Carnon Crescent, the first pitch is now part of the bypass & the second one was in the next field. The changing room was a shed in the lane. They painted it one day, some of the farmers bullocks licked the paint & died! Football in Carnon Downs died that day as well!! Prior to that they won the Mining League Div 2 in 1973/4, still got my medal! They played in Mining 1 for a few years after that, up until the bullocks b******d the shed!

Carnon Downs played in a farm field to the rear of Carnon Crescent, the first pitch is now part of the bypass & the second one was in the next field. The changing room was a shed in the lane. They painted it one day, some of the farmers bullocks licked the paint & died! Football in Carnon Downs died that day as well!! Prior to that they won the Mining League Div 2 in 1973/4, still got my medal! They played in Mining 1 for a few years after that, up until the bullocks b******d the shed!

Couple of questions for you,

Did the team start up from a group of Perranwell players?

Was there a style to go over to get in the field? and what colour shirts did you play in?

SF. The Shirehorse used to play on a farm just past Halsetown , towards St.Ives. We used to meet at the club/pub car park, the farmer would load you on to the trailer, & away we went.....??

Changing rooms ? were. a barn, with a blanket across one corner for the ref..Straw cover floor.no showers.

Then out in to the field, kick the thistles over whilst some poor sod shoveled horse dung to the sidelines. :D

The worst bit being the hoof prints these bloody beasts left all over the place..? Could be 2 inches deep,& a twisted ankle was the least of your worries.

( And you try telling the kids of today.?).......Don't :rolleyes: know they're born..................

I started my mens playing career with PLEMYC - Paynters Lane Ens Methodist Youth club - we played on the Park Road pitch in Camborne - and played against some well known characters from the Camborne Redruth area - Andy McGuiness, Graham Quick, Nigel Hale, Dennis Hick, Tim Pooly, Treve James to name but a few.

We were a young side - many of which went on to play senior football - Tubby Mitchell, Robert "Foggy" Warne, Tex Tromans and at one time or other Clifford and Roy Calloway and Boxer Calloway played for us in goal but then this was in the late 60's early 70's.

David "Daisy" May - nowadays refereeing senior Rugbyand his brother Peter who I believe went on to play for Camborne Rugby, a guy called John Menzle and then there was Salvatore Nuciforo who boxed professionally - tenuous link - he fought a Plymouth guy called Vernon Penpraze and lost on points - Penpraze fought an Irishman in his next bout - and lost heavily to a guy called Barry McGuigan - I think Salvi is now living in the Stithians area

I got some of these from other posts on this forum and some that i did know so hope this helps, As far as i know these teams are no longer playing but sorry if there are a few that are

BOSCOWAN

WILLIAM IV

PENRYN BOROUGH

HUMPHRY DAVY

TRURO ATHLETIC

OLD QUAY INN

GWEEK A.F.C.

REDRUTH RANGERS

BARLEY SHEAF

THREE FERRETS

KENNACK RANGERS

GOONHILLY F.C.

ST.IVES R.B.L.

BICLAND RANGERS

CULDROSE OLD BOYS

CHURCHTOWN

TRURO CITY ATHLETIC

F.C. TRURO

ROSKEAR RANGERS

FALMOUTH ACADEMICALS

GODOLPHIN CLUB

ANGEL HOTEL

BUNTERS BAR

TRURO TESCO

MULLION JUNIORS

COPPERHOUSE

CENTRAL LADS

KERNICK F.C.

BLUE ARROW

OXFORD INN

MORTGAGE GROUP

BALTIC PINE

OLD SMITHY

KERNOW ENTERTAINERS

CHOUGHS INN

PENRYN UNITED

A.G. SPORTS

FALMOUTH EXCHANGE

CAMBORNE WANDERERS

ST.IVES LEGION

TUCKINGMILL HOTEL

CHANNEL FOODS

BLUE ARROW

TERRILLS

CASTAWAYS

LIZARD ARGYLE

GASCO RANGERS

RAF SCORPIONS

KENNACK SANDS

Christ having a read through those names brought back some memories of all the places I used to visit on a Sunday morning when I was a kid and followed me Dad's all conquering Sunday league side in the early 90's.

Good times :thumbsup:

The first 3 clubs I played for....St. Levan - folded, then Porthcurno Exiles - folded, then Trelawny - folded. Is there a pattern developing.

Nobody has mentioned Crown Town (I think, unless they are still going).

Guest Norry

DOES ANYONE REMEMBER WHEN KELYNACK HAD A TEAM....MADE UP FROM PLAYERS FROM SENNEN AND ST JUST....BUT I DON'T THINK THEY WERE AROUND FOR TOO LONG..IN THE 70'S

Yes...their star was Michael Williams, still a well-known Methodist local preacher. Robert Matthews, formerly of St Just Combo, went there for a season as well.

The first ever game I watched live was in the West Penwith League, with St Just Reserves losing to Kelynack at Lafrowda Park. That was in 1966-7, just after the first game I ever remember on TV, the World Cup final at Wembley....but I'd still rather watch St Just, my own independent nation, than the England team any day :drink::c: .

Yes...their star was Michael Williams, still a well-known Methodist local preacher. Robert Matthews, formerly of St Just Combo, went there for a season as well.

The first ever game I watched live was in the West Penwith League, with St Just Reserves losing to Kelynack at Lafrowda Park. That was in 1966-7, just after the first game I ever remember on TV, the World Cup final at Wembley....but I'd still rather watch St Just, my own independent nation, than the England team any day :drink::c: .

For Kelynack, you turn left off the Penzance to St Just road just before the sign welcoming you to "St Just City Limits."

The Kelynack pitch was the field to the right of the St.Just to Quaker's Burial Ground road, just after James Howard Eddy's farm on the right and before you get to the Kel;ynack School, where my mother was educated, and to the St Just International Airport. There used to be a sign outside the airport saying "Danger Pasties."

:drink: :c:

Hello, Peppermint....yes, it helps me to send myself to sleep. See you on Saturday. I suppose now Newton Abbot have folded we shall be facing the full might of the SWPL Western Division professionals in the Combo at Mount Wise. Gwain to be blawing a brea old skeet and henting down, apparently....that's how St Just like it !

Hello, Peppermint...yes, it he...

Doing it again !! :drink::yahoo::c: :D

Guest Peppermint

Newquay will be fielding a side that will the Reserves and not the first team except any player who needs a run out. Newton Abbot were not in Newquay's league so it is just a free weekend for them.

I am at neigbours Godolphin Atlantic doing some reporting for the radio on their game with Penzance but I will be back at Mount Wise straight after thematch.

Hopefully you will be still in the bar - will treat you to a drink whether you or Newquay wins!!!!!

Best wishes Graham