Cornwall Football Forum

Defunct Cornish Football Clubs

Guest Man on the Post

Guest Man on the Post

The other day I was thinking about defunct cornish football clubs and thought it would be a good idea to create an 'online' directory, with brief details of their history, while people still have memories of them. Perhaps this could be part of Dave Deacon's cornish soccer website. What do others think?

I have little knowledge of East Cornwall clubs so without putting too much thought to it I start with; Bugle, Falmouth Docks, Malabar, A Division Police, Heathcoats, Treliske, St. Erth, Veor, Camborne Plough, Mylor, George and Dragon, Nancegollan, Busby Gents. Can't remember if Busby Gents played in a league or not?

There are obviously loads more so name those teams! :D

Devon and Cornwall Police are no longer in any league to my knowledge. Use to be in old South West League. I dont know if they still have a team that plays for one off games e.t.c?

Budock Rangers no longer exist. I think they were mainly youth teams and was run by Dougie Kellow father of Tony Kellow. I think Phil Kellow played for Budock Rangers!

Can think of quite a few clubs from the Duchy League that are no longer going:

Veryan, Tregony, Roseland (was St Mawes), Newmoor, Four Lords, St Austell Athletic (not unless they changed names), Ladock, Harlyn, Berties, RAF St Mawgan, Bodmin Athletic, Fowey Town, Saltash Churches, Menheniot...

There are plenty more I'm sure, some of those clubs were only around for a couple of years (Berties, Saltash Churches etc), whilst others were in existance for much longer.

I also remember playing a friendly about 6/7 years ago against a team called Malpas Wanderers who were a really good side, did they fold or change names?

Guest Man on the Post

Is the reason they called themselves Saltash Churches the obvious one or not? Secondly did they score a lot of goals with 'the hand of God'? :D

Thanks for all the replies so far, I'd forgotten about a lot of the sides mentioned.

Guest Postie Pidge

Flushing, playing out on Trefusis Point!

Old Quay (Devoran) playing at Carnon Downs

Feock

Cusgarne

Swanvale/Swanvale Swifts

Old Hill United

If people pass the details on to me - PM me or email pidgeon1981@hotmail.com I will try and sort out some kind of record.

Devon and Cornwall Police are no longer in any league to my knowledge. Use to be in old South West League. I dont know if they still have a team that plays for one off games e.t.c?

Budock Rangers no longer exist. I think they were mainly youth teams and was run by Dougie Kellow father of Tony Kellow. I think Phil Kellow played for Budock Rangers!

The Police have two teams in the Devon Wednesday League, and as Devon and Cornwall Constabulary they play against other Forces from around the country.

Guest The Old Man

I played for Bugle in their final season in the old South Western League in 1992. We finished third, having played the last 3 months of the season without any "expenses". The team played with a tremendous spirit and regularly beat the big-spenders.

who can forget playing treliske where the carpark is now. how about st.earth asd fosters pottery? :c: played my first ever league game against busby gents for camborne rbl res in mining 2 just off tms roundabout.

S.F

I was reading a report in the Cornishman from September 1928 and it said Nancledra played St Just in the Cornwall Cup at the "Gulval Stadium". I spoke to several people at Pz about the location of the "Gulval Stadium" and they think it where B & Q is now or just the other side of the road amongsts the fields on Lord St Levan's land.

The same year later on said that St Just beat Barriper 16-0 in the same competition at the same "Stadium". I was looking for reports about Pz but there was no PZ AFC then as they had closed down for a few years and the only club mentioned week after week in the Cornishman was St Just who must have been the premier club in West Cornwall at the time.

HARROWBARROW & METHERELL (WON THE LAUNCESTON & DISTRICT KO CUP ONCE)

WADEBRIDGE LADIES, SADLY MISSED.

SOUTHGATE SENIORS.

TIDEFORD.

ST GILES.

ROSELAND.

NORMAN'S CASH AND CARRY (LAUNCESTON, YES THEY PLAYED LEAGUE AND CUP MATCHES, PLAYED A FEW TIMES MYSELF)

Didn't Southgate start up again this season or is that a different club?

Didn't St Giles change its name to South Petherwin? Think they still play in the Kingsley League.

Played for Duchy Vs Mabe in the FHL and Vs Goonhilly whilst on leave from the Army.

As a Junior played in a very good Budock Rangers side and Penfal Athletic and also Vs sides like Camborne Lions AND Redruth Dynamos

Those where the days when jumpers were used for goalposts and you always stood in or rolled around in dogshite.

:smiley20:

I got some of these from other posts on this forum and some that i did know so hope this helps, As far as i know these teams are no longer playing but sorry if there are a few that are

BOSCOWAN

WILLIAM IV

PENRYN BOROUGH

HUMPHRY DAVY

TRURO ATHLETIC

OLD QUAY INN

GWEEK A.F.C.

REDRUTH RANGERS

BARLEY SHEAF

THREE FERRETS

KENNACK RANGERS

GOONHILLY F.C.

ST.IVES R.B.L.

BICLAND RANGERS

CULDROSE OLD BOYS

CHURCHTOWN

TRURO CITY ATHLETIC

F.C. TRURO

ROSKEAR RANGERS

FALMOUTH ACADEMICALS

GODOLPHIN CLUB

ANGEL HOTEL

BUNTERS BAR

TRURO TESCO

MULLION JUNIORS

COPPERHOUSE

CENTRAL LADS

KERNICK F.C.

BLUE ARROW

OXFORD INN

MORTGAGE GROUP

BALTIC PINE

OLD SMITHY

KERNOW ENTERTAINERS

CHOUGHS INN

PENRYN UNITED

A.G. SPORTS

FALMOUTH EXCHANGE

CAMBORNE WANDERERS

ST.IVES LEGION

TUCKINGMILL HOTEL

CHANNEL FOODS

BLUE ARROW

TERRILLS

CASTAWAYS

LIZARD ARGYLE

GASCO RANGERS

RAF SCORPIONS

KENNACK SANDS

Urban Spaceman, Sorry post edited and yes they are all Sunday clubs

As stated i got some of the info from the forum and quite a few i do remember

The post was Defunct Cornish Football Clubs but no one has stated weather it is only Saturday teams so i am guessing Sunday teams are also allowed as they are Cornish Football Clubs are they not ? :)

They played just out of the village on the road to Newquay.

At one time (about mid-60's )Crantock played in the East Cornwall League,having come up through the Mining League.They,i think,disbanded and reformed a few years later.

When they started to struggle for players,the team bus would be sent into Newquay and a trawl was undertaken through the pubs to find enough players to fulfill the fixture.Turned out with a few outstanding players who had trials for league clubs and who just hopped onto the bus for a game.