Cornwall Football Forum

RESPECT MY A@@@

Guest Blackshirt

Guest Blackshirt

Having been a referee for nearly 18 years, I have travelled the country and been made to feel welcome at most of the clubs I have visited, And have been respected by a lot of people involved in football. I know that as a Match Official I have to earn respect and not take it for granted. But today respect reached its lowest level I have ever know.

Picture the scene I was working along side a busy road I will not say where when a van pull up along side me and the passenger leaned out of the window and verbally abused me as he had reckonised me from some distant pass game the torrant of abuse was beyond belief when he had finished with me he then started on my work mate whom was totally gobsmacked . When the van pulled away I was then saluted with the V sign . I know this is rare but christ why should I (and I am sure I talk for quite a few Match officials ) have to put up with this C~~P, its bad enough on a match day being abused by the crowd but while I was at work that beyond the joke.

Foot note to this, is I did not know this person but I`m sure if he is still playing our paths may cross then I am supposed to act as if nothing had happened.

IS THAT FAIR I don`t think so. but i`m a bigger man then him and if we do ever meet he will be the one who will be going red not seeing it.

Guest Blackshirt

it happen today when I was working. but it shouldn`t happen christ its a hobby for me so is it right that I should be treated like this for doing my hobby? the answers no not at a game or when i`m away with my family or work. I have a right to enjoy myself when I am refereeing so why should I be abused can someone answer me that? its a simple question please give me the reason why people believe its right to abuse match officials?

That doesn't take away from the fact that it's bang out of order Dave. What if he'd been out for lunch with his wife and kids - should they have to accept that abuse? No. It's wrong and if the person who did it is part of this forum they should be well and truly ashamed of themselves.

Where were you working Blackshirt? That would possibly narrow down the clubs this person plays for.

Guest Postie Pidge

Don't let this get all political. I agree it is bang out of order but we don't need Ross Kemp down here doing an episode on us hooligans

Might find out who it was then

Guest Blackshirt

I have sat and read the replies to my posting and I would like to thank you all for what has been writen

Dave to answer your question I most proberbly do know him but I did not reckonise him at the time.

There have been 470 viewers to this posting but only 15 people have come on, I wonder what this means.

No one has answered my original Question What gives people the right to abuse match officials?

Having been a referee for nearly 18 years, I have travelled the country and been made to feel welcome at most of the clubs I have visited, And have been respected by a lot of people involved in football. I know that as a Match Official I have to earn respect and not take it for granted. But today respect reached its lowest level I have ever know.

Picture the scene I was working along side a busy road I will not say where when a van pull up along side me and the passenger leaned out of the window and verbally abused me as he had reckonised me from some distant pass game the torrant of abuse was beyond belief when he had finished with me he then started on my work mate whom was totally gobsmacked . When the van pulled away I was then saluted with the V sign . I know this is rare but christ why should I (and I am sure I talk for quite a few Match officials ) have to put up with this C~~P, its bad enough on a match day being abused by the crowd but while I was at work that beyond the joke.

Foot note to this, is I did not know this person but I`m sure if he is still playing our paths may cross then I am supposed to act as if nothing had happened.

IS THAT FAIR I don`t think so. but i`m a bigger man then him and if we do ever meet he will be the one who will be going red not seeing it.

how do you know it was football related if you didnt evan know who done it

Whatever you did certainly left a lasting impression on this guy. Did you manage to get the vehicle registration number, where the incident took place etc, the type and model etc, was it signed or have any distiinguishing features and a brief description of the guy. Did he mention the match or where it was or even when it was.

It possibly wouldn't get anywhere, but at least the police would have had a record of your complaint. It may not have come to anything but the police might have something on the guy anyway. Its a shocking thing to happen to anyone.

What gives people the right to abuse match officials?

Well we all know that the correct and only answer to your question should be ... none! But regrettably there is always the minority, and they are the ones that tarnish the reputation of others, and in this particular scenario - the genuine football person.

It's a pity that you aren't able to tell us all who the player is, that way he would be denounced to all and everyone involved in the local football world as what a disgrace and a mindless idiot the individual he really is! :SM_carton:

geachy1 has a very valid point though - how do you know it was to do with football?

Guest Blackshirt

If it was not football related he would not of called me a F##@:ng W@@@er of a ref amongst other things.

as for reporting it to the police my work mate and I were to dam gobsmacked to think of getting his reg number but the van was a white transit which really make it easy to find (not)

Guest Blackshirt

I`m level 5 and ref on the SWPL Division One west , ECPL Duchy Leagues.

If I did see him any I think I will recognise him again.

I haven`t refed him for a long maybe in my earlier games but that doesn`t matter the problem is it should not ever of happen.

Its bad enough getting grief on a match day, but some small minded idiot believes that i`m an easy target and have a go at me in an abusive way in a public place.

This is why there are quite a few matches going with out refs on Saturdays . what would the minority of people whom abuse us do if we all just didn`t turn up to officate their games until we were treated with a little bit more respect ( i know we must earn it ) we all make mistakes but we as officials don`t have a dig when player misses a open goal or make a mistake, critize constructively with out abusing us please

I haven`t refed him for a long maybe in my earlier games but that doesn`t matter the problem is it should not ever of happen.

We all know it shouldn't have happened.

However, I don't know, something just doesn't seem right about all this.

Without you able to name the person, I'm not sure what you are exactly expecting all the rest of us to say!

Guest Blackshirt

I can`t name someone i don`t know and it was in Devon. I just thought this subject would allow people to air there views on respect.

May be I was wrong to post but maybe I have been able to bring to light that sometimes the abuse (no thats the wrong word) disrespect to match officials is getting totally out of hand. there are some people whom believe that if things go wrong for them have a go at the official thats what he`s there for.

I must say that there are far far more people involved in football who do show respect to officials than mindless idiots who don`t .

If just one person who has read the postings created following my first post desides to start respecting official abit more I would be happy.

As for the idiot in the van his day will come as he is bound to come across an official who will deal with him to the letter of the law. Thats if he`s brave enough to do it when he playing and can be dealt with rather that in a public place and driving off like a coward.

until we were treated with a little bit more respect ( i know we must earn it )

What happened to you is inexcusable, but there again what do you expect from someone from over the Tamar! :D

But, at the end of the day, for the sake of the game overall, it has to be a two way thing, as quoted from you above.

Work together and the game will be lot easier for all of you.

But, at the end of the day, for the sake of the game overall, it has to be a two way thing, as quoted from you above.

Work together and the game will be lot easier for all of you.

I'm sure Blackshirt doesn't drive past players that he onced refed shouting 'Oi your a f**king s**t player' or such things (not saying he might not think it sometimes :P ) :smiley20:

We all know it shouldn't have happened.

However, I don't know, something just doesn't seem right about all this.

Without you able to name the person, I'm not sure what you are exactly expecting all the rest of us to say!

Dave I noticed how quiet you were when somebody posted about Mr Heaneys car being torched, and you didn't post I'm not sure what you are exactly expecting all the rest of us to say! on that thread.......Now here we have a referee being abused at his place of work and you are questioning what he expects us to say. Do you have a problem with refs??? maybe the bloke who dished out the abuse wasn't a player?? and maybe a supporter?? what difference that makes is beyond me. For too long Officials have to put up with all sorts of abuse at games which credit to them they put up with for some unknown reason. But why should he tolerate it at his place of work????

I'm sure Blackshirt doesn't drive past players that he onced refed shouting .....

And i am so glad he doesn't!

You seem to think i am saying it was ok for the abuse to be shouted. I say again, as I have said already, this person who did the shouting is a complete idiot and no way do I agree with his action. And quite frankly, if we knew who he was, everyone involved in football, should make his life a misery from now on. but unfortunately we don't and there isn't a lot more we can therefore do.

However, I also say again, it's a two way thing, and some referees (as well as there are some players) need to take a step back sometimes and look at their own performances a bit more. Then they might realise that just sometimes, the reasons they don't get the respect is because they have made a mistake. After all, we're all human. At least Rob Styles admitted to making one this weekend!

To Crosser .... The reason I didn't post about Kevin Heaney's car being torched is because quite frankly I had no opinion on it! I have subsequently heard all sorts of suggestions as to who might have done it ... ranging from people in the building trade to more personal connotations!

As to whether I have a problem with refs - no I don't ..... with the good ones! :ninja:

What a stupid comment. 'from someone over the Tamar'. Just because he was in another county does not mean a thing.

As I said in my earlier posting about collecting details and informing the police. Am I to deduce that a referee who spends his time jotting down names and filling in forms did not follow this simple procedure or was this just a made up story. Did he inform the press. Perhaps Blackshirt would advise us all what action he did take over this alleged incident.

WE COULD DO WITH YOU REFFING SOME OF OWER GAMES IF YOU DO IT AS A HOBBY REF ,,,,, AS WE GET CHARGED A LOT OF MONEY FOR SOME WHO DO NOT DESERVE THE AMOUNT ,,,,,,,,, I TAKE IT THAT AS A HOBBY YOU DONT CHARGE THEN.......SOME PLAYERS HAVE TO PAY TO PLAY AND GET A FINE IF THEY GET IT WRONGE ,,,,,,,,,,, SHOULD REFS NOT GET FINED THEN ...........O THEY DO THEY GET DEMOTED,,,,,,,SO HOW CAN WE JUDGE IT THE TWO MANAGERS MARK THE REF OUT OF TEN,,,,,,,,,,, GET TEN AND GET THE MONEY IN FULL GET FIVE OUT OF TEN AND GET HALF GET TWO AND GET A QUATER ,,,,,,,, what a mine field

Guest Blackshirt

ECPL When your working along a road side cutting down trees a note pad pencil ( red / yellow cards) are things I don`t carry.

I`m glad that I can say Not all people from Devon are like this idiot all the clubs usally make me very welcome even though I`m from Cornwall.

Lets just hope that respect has not gone out of the window.

Guest The Old Man

The Title of the thread says it all "RESPECT MY A@@@" mmmmmmmmmm :SM_carton_y:

The guy was out of order...quite disgusting really...but the right reaction is to treat the comments with the contempt it deserves. The numbskull will thrive on your reactions....you are a better person than him?????

Guest Blackshirt

Thank you very much The Old Man that is exactly what I intend to do, As a official bitting my lip and not reacting come second nature to me even though sometimes i want to throttle some players I have learnt to smile and walk away.

But I am glad that this subject has raise the issue of respect or the lack of it by some people ;) .

Thankfully the majority are respectful. :rolleyes: