Cornwall Football Forum

Sports Programme today

I had to listen to Radio Cornwall this afternoon. What a dreadful travesty of what the sports programme used to be. I wanted to know what football games were off, bearing in mind the weather. It used to be virtually the first item on any inclement afternoon because the programme was staffed by people with a KNOWLEDGE of local sport. Today - nothing. I wanted to know who got the goals for Truro. Never found out. I listened to the last hour or so. How Dave Martin puts up with that screeching bimbo interfering with what used to be HIS rugby roundup I don't know. No wonder Dave Deacon left. The football section was an amateurish shambles. She kept referring to the FA Vase games as the FA Cup until Gary Marks corrected her. She interviewed Bob Oaten, opening with, "Well, St Blazey, three-one at Porthleven...." (it was as every reader will know 3 - 1 TO Porthleven); she had Trevor Mewton on the line and called him Bob Oaten. Her and the boy's reading of the results was absolutely DREADful -she clearly has NO idea of how it should be done, "award-winner" or not. I write this in the certain knowledge that very few Cornish Sports fans will have been tuned in, just letting you know that it is still abysmal.

THE bit you would all have loved was Trevor Mewton complaining about the station's lack of coverage of the FA Vase last week (Monday's programme?). Darth Vardy did NOT like that and did not deal with it at all well. WELL DONE, TREVOR: I hope other football managers will do likewise. Maybe some have, though who would have heard?

Sportscene, with Matt Sandoz, Denis Nightingale, David White and all previous presenters back to the start with Justin Leigh and the late Jerry Clarke: R.I.P!

Yes i would agree it was grim listening. Rugby completely dominated the last hour. The football results reading was a shambles. The interviewing of the Porthleven and St.Blazey managers was clueless, even asking one of the managers what he thought of the weather !!!!!!!!

It cannot get any worse, or can it.

I really don't think i can endure it any more. :SM_carton:

My daughter and I started listening to the rugby part of the show.

That women got the scores wrong, kept butting in, made mistakes in peoples names. She doesn't seem to know what questions to ask. The best one for me was when she asked some rugby bloke, did he blame the weather for a defeat and you could tell the chap thought it was a stupid question when he replied it was the same for both teams.

My daughter said she was rubbish.

We gave up in the end and couldn't suffer any more and rode home in silence.

Spot on Common Tater

I tuned in travelling back from the Newquay v Wadebridge game and wished I hadn't!

I found myself getting really angry with the 'host'.

She clearly does not have a clue! Very poor sports broadcasting in my opinion. :SM_carton:

I'm sure she must be a very nice person buy has no idea when it comes to local sport.

It made me 'cringe'! :wacko:

Thank goodness for this forum.

Why don't all clubs refuse to give the station their results and managers refuse to be interviewed?

It might be a bit drastic but would surely be the final wake-up call for the station. If they've got nothing to report, they've got no programme.

When Emma interviewed me last season with Ross, Ross asked all the football questions and Emma chipped in with stupid stuff like "Is it difficult to keep a bunch of 18 year old lads well behaved?"

I had a hard job to bite my lip!

Why not give Chris Lawrence at Atlantic FM a call with your results (01872 554466) or text them to 07624 807107. I'm sure he would be very happy to hear from you. Results received are normally read out around 5.30 (ish) with reports from various grounds :smiley20: .

As for the BBC Radio Cornwall Sports Program - Com'n guys, why do you think we all called it a day. Total Rubbish and simply does not cover the whole of Cornwall :SM_carton: .

Guest Postie Pidge

Having spoken with Chris a few times, he is trying to sort out a proper sports programme but he is still obliged to play music. He is trying so the more results he gets, the better it could be!

Guest Peppermint

I will echo Ken Reed's comments and Postie Pidge is correct that Chris Lawrence is obliged to play music and he needs more people informing him of results etc.

Chris is very keen and is always willing to listen to suggestions etc. Unfortunately he and Atlantic FM do not have the luxury that Radio Cornwall have that we the licence payers fund the Emma Vardy indulgences.

I am happy along with Ken Reed to do some reports and I am sure Chris Lawrence would welcome other contributors.

I used to enjoy my reporting on cricket for Radio Cornwall but that is all gone by the wayside. I for a return by Matt Sandoz, Dennis Nightingale or Duncan Warren.

If every single member thats nearly 1500, makes a valid and adult like complaint (HERE) along with a link to this post (and others if you can find them) then the complaints authority will have to take action as it will be the most complained about local radio station in the uk.

Tell them how it was, how it was and how you think it's going to be and the fact that presenters have been shelved and walked out and how the current presenter is in your opinion at best amatuer.

She may suck the air through her teeth (which sounds crap on air) and ask questions more akin to a 7 year old but that is beside the point, these are personal opinions, give the complaints people truth and fact.

Do your bit now

Hi,

As some of you may be aware, I have been trying to set up an Internet radio station, concentrating on all local sports not just Truro City and Cornish Pirates. Not that I don't wish these teams well, however how many grassroots players/fans care about just the big teams. People who I have spoken to would like to hear reports on all Junior sports.

My Station (www.cornishsportsradio.com) is currently off air due to lack of match reports and listeners. My intentions are to contact as many of clubs as possible, to identify a dedicated reporter from your club. However if you have a view on a match you may of been to your are welcome to ring it through to my voicemail.

This station is run purely as a non-commercial station. I am most certainly not making any money. This is just a platform for you.

My intentions are to try and air a show on Wednesday nights @2000 until late. This new time will give people lots of time to compose their reports and ring them through. You can also use this service to advertise your clubs fundraising events etc.

Traffic to my site as been good but I need more reports to make it worthwhile. I intend to go on air again on Wednesday 17th September@ 2000. I can except reports in two forms. Ring the voicemail service on 0117 230 8147 or e-mai voice recordings (mp3/wav) : mail@cornishsportsradio.com

I look forward to hearing from you.

Wayne (Tommo)

www.cornishsportsradio.com

mail@cornishsportsradio.com

Tel No. 0117 230 8147

If you would like to contact me in person send me an e-mail and i will ring you.

Well, I was out of the reception area yesterday afternoon and so didn't get to listen to any of it. So will take the opportunity to use the "listen again" facility!

It's not for me to criticise, as although I decided to finish during the summer, I did leave on good terms with everyone. However, although I obviously have nothing to do with the football coverage on BBC Radio Cornwall, I would say it is very sad to read the above comments.

What makes me even more concerned is that in the Saturdays I have had free this season, I have taken the opportunity to listen to all three local radio stations, and still the Beeb is streets ahead!

Having spoken with Chris a few times, he is trying to sort out a proper sports programme but he is still obliged to play music. He is trying so the more results he gets, the better it could be!

So what's "a proper sports programme"?

Surely it's one with all the up-to-date results and action. With the presenters using the correct terminology and being informed with what they are talking about and certainly one with no music! :o

Guest Peppermint

A litle unfair Mr Deacon!!!!!

Some facts for you to digest - correct terminology being used by presenters - cricket and correct terminnology is certainly far from used properly on Radio Cornwall by the presenter! Now I know that is not to do with football but is just used as an example to illustrate my argument.

A proper Sports Programme does not contain music - I think that music is used more and more on Radio Cornwall sports coverage now although when people like Matt Sandoz was the presenter it did not happen.

If more people did let Atlantic FM know results and scores then they too could broadcast them.

Radio Cornwall is financed for every whim of the presenter by US THE LICENCE PAYER not having to finance the programmes by obtaining advertising revenue. This fact seems conveniently forgotten by you.

Finally there are just about 100% of the Forum Users that are deeply unhappy with the BBC Radio Cornwall debacle - you seem to be the only one that is very happy with the inept attempt at sports broadcasting! We all can't be wrong!!!!!!!!!

Guest Man on the Post

Dave, not difficult for the Beeb to be streets ahead of it's rivals when the Corporation as a whole receives

£ 3,369 million per annum from the taxpayer!

What I find disgraceful is Radio Cornwall's lack of dialogue with it's listeners on this matter. Their public relations is a disaster. They should address the issue on the Satuday sports programme by giving the reasons for the changes made and their plans for the future. There should also be a phone-in for sports fans to express their views.

Guest Peppermint

Good point Man on the Post - but if there were a phone in to let listeners air their views the 'She who must be Obeyed' would censure it!!!!

Stig has a good idea for us all to complain - we are then supposed to get feedback about our complaints and if there are enough then even the arrogant BBC must do something about it - or am I just dreaming!

Guest Peppermint

With the risk of banging my head against a brick wall it would have been nice for Dave Deacon to try and answer some of the points I raised. Mainly about the vast sums of OUR LICENCE MONEY that is being wasted and you still imply that Radio Cornwall with all its advantages are still so much superior.

As I stated in an earlier post - we the Forum users cannot all be wrong!!!!

Tom - my letter was addressed to Daphne Skinnard and after a second letter it was passed to another person to answer and the contents were completely worthless and not one question answered. Could have saved themselves the stamp.

Radio Cornwall - summed up in a few words - sheer arrogant indulgence and the listeners can go and whistle!!!!!!

Then well done to Trevor Mewton! If I knew who he was I'd buy him a drink! I wonder what the various managers will think about having to be pre-recorded in case they say anything critical? Perhaps some might take up Tommy Matthews's idea and boycott the programme. It seems vindictive, but when something is SO wrong......

And.

Just a thought.

Wouldn't you think the penny MIGHT have dropped at Radio Cornwall?

I would really LOVE to see what the audience figures are like!

Finally there are just about 100% of the Forum Users that are deeply unhappy with the BBC Radio Cornwall debacle - you seem to be the only one that is very happy with the inept attempt at sports broadcasting! We all can't be wrong!!!!!!!!!

Sorry Peppermint, but I don't think i have said anywhere that i am happy. What I will say though is that all three local stations are miles away from giving the public a local sports programme worth listening to each week.

I agree wholeheartedly with Trevor Mewton's criticism of Radio Cornwall for not previewing or publicising the F.A.Vase fixtures during the week.

We have done our bit on the forum but not a peep from the 'Beeb'

The F.A.Cup/Vase are the only opportunity for our clubs to compete with other sides from outside our area.

Many Cornish clubs have made National fame culminating in Truro City reaching the 'Holy Grail' with their outright Vase win.

It is a most exciting time of the season for many competing clubs and Trevor will vouch the F.A competitons have given him many longlasting memories in his managerial career.

It was good sport by Trevor to be interviewed on Saturday after an unlucky defeat and I believe his first questiion was not about Penzance but 'what do you think of the other Vase results?'

Trevor was caught cold by not knowing any other scores but did respond well by complimenting his two former clubs Porthleven and St.Blazey.

Am I right in thinking that Sir Alex Ferguson refuses to be interviewed or talk to the B.B.C ?

Guest Peppermint

Fair enough Dave. It is just so frustrating that one person can dictate everything that goes on the programme and is free to do what ever she likes. I too would love to see the listening figures and would urge everyone to do as Stig suggests and complain through the official BBC complaints procedure and see if we do get any feedback as promised on the Website.

Surely there must be someone connected with Radio Cornwall that as a little common sense and realises that the station is not serving the listening public!

Astonishingly, for those many who didn't hear the programme, it is available on bbc.co.uk, on the local radio bit: find Cornwall and then the "listen again" button. Select the Sports programme and when it starts playing - it starts with part of the 2 o'clock news - click the 15min advance button until you are at or just after 3hrs and 30mins. Then just listen. There's some rugby mixed in, but at about 3hrs 40 there are some excruciating interviews, with Trevor Mewton's humdinger from 3hrs 50mins. If only I knew how to record and save it (I don't think you can) I would be tempted to send it to the BBC's top people along with a list of as many mistakes as I could identify. Warning: if you are feeling a bit low, like about England's performance against mighty Andorra, best not listen to it. I hate to see grown men cry! Otherwise, do it before they have the opportunity to erase it!

Guest Peppermint

I agree Common Tater - it would be laughable if it wasn't so sad. This broadcast could find its way onto some future comedy show. Unfortunately the powers that be seemed completely oblivious to everyone being deeply unhappy with the service being provided or the lack of it.

I had the unfortunate displeasure of listening to the last half hour of this today (13-09-08) for the first time this season........and really wish I hadn't.

What a load of crap, we had Vader sucking as much hot in in her gob before every word, so you was left with a slurpping niose that manifested itself in the word, we also had stupid questions about training (who's bright idea was that?) did they think it would make good listening?

We also had two plugs for BBC programmes and causes, a musical interlude, lengthy reports from English Premiership matches, commentary from a goal that had just gone in at the City of Manchester Stadium (how exciting was that?) and a lumpy excuse of a report from the Argyle match, all this from a radio station that has a jingle that claims 'reports from the best of cornish sport'.

But the icing on the cake was her interview with Stuart Dudley....

Vader: So how did the scoring go then in your 1-1 draw

Dudley: Dartmouth had a throw in and played it down the line, the winger crossed it over and it was a header at the far post for 0-1

Vader: So did you score next to equalise? Priceless

She also asked Darren Gilbert and Stuart Dudley 'who are your next league opponents? for christ sake she is supposed to be a reporter, and reporters are supposed to do research, a couple of clicks on the mouse and she could have found it out, very poor, a 7 year old could have done better.

If she is the result of a media degree education at the University College Falmouth, then either the college has let it's standards slip or the casting couch saw a lot of use!

What an appauling last half hour, when are the bigwigs going to realise that she is bringing the show down and it's going down faster than a balloon with a pin in it.

Wake up and small the coffee bbc cornwall, you are becoming a laughing stock, what was once a flagship show has now turned into something that wouldn't even get a look in at the fringe, she should stick to reporting on jazz festivals, welly throwing competitions move into something thats more her line....hospital radio, it might make a few more beds available quicker.

I shall once again be filing a complaint to the bbc complaints department and I shall do so every week until the programme is brought back to the standard that it was before she arrived, I urge all of you to do the same.

I belive the Orkney's are wanting a reporter to do the weather and fish market reports, anybody know of any other radio stations further a field that we can send her?

Stuart also said that Cornish supporters are hard to please, her reply was 'don't I know it' so I guess she must read these pages, so if you are do the hounorable that and resign, nobody wants you, nobody cares about you, go and go sooner rather than later.

I complained to the BBC about Radio Cornwall and it's sports coverage, I also complained that during the weekday evenings it became Radio Devon where the only sports teams mentioned were Argyle, Exeter and Torquay, as for the BIMBO she too got a mention, my complaint was made three weeks ago, it hasn't even been acknowledged.

Today I tuned in and realised how far the programme had sunk, they were appealing for people to phone in their sports scores, they gave the number to ring, this was rarely the case in the past, other than a reminder, because there was a recognised procedure in place, I think they call it CO-OPERATION, now there is such a rift between Radio Cornwall and Cornish Sports organisations there is little co-operation.

IF RADIO CORNWALL WAS A COMMERCIAL ORGANISATION IT WOULD HAVE CLOSED A LONG TIME AGO.

Like others I couldn't stand listening to the rubbish they broadcast this afternoon and switched off.

Privatise all local radio stations and reduce the licence fee.

I shall repeat my complaint again this week AND chastise their complaints department for not replying or acknowledging the previous one.

• 3 weeks later...

It was still no better 2 weeks ago, all we had was full match commentary from Ottley, thank god they had tecnical difficulties from the north, which meant a break in transmision at 4.52, otherwise we wouldn't have heard the 2 halftime football scores they did give out.

Then yet again in the 'footbal' half hour as they still call it, we had to endure reports from 3 premiership games, 1 championship game and interviews, one of which went on for about 5 minutes with Gian Franco Zola...........I ask you, it is for CORNWALL that this programme is made is it not?

So glad I was out of the county last week.

Wednesday night in the sports programme, they mentioned surffing, truro's exit in the cup and a couple of other highly viewed cornish sports such as canoeing!!!!!!!! not asingle mention of the 2 SWPL matches that were being played that night. Well for all the teams in the SWPL, CCL, DL, ECL, F&HL and ML you've been pimped, they have used you and abused you and now they don't want you just like a common prostitute, they think they've got the programme so right with the elite of the cornish sports scene given more time than the rest of the cornish sports teams, 99% of you are now surplus to requirements. They don't need you as their bread and butter.

The sooner Vardy and Skinard go the sooner Cornwall ans the BBC can have a local sports programme to be proud of.

Thankfully I'm out of the county again this weekend so I do not have to listen to her air sucking voice and results service, which she always starts with,

"and the CSWPL finished like this"

"and the Cornwall Combination League finished like this"

They really do not know what the sporting people of Cornwall want do they!

There were brief moments of score updates this Saturday gone, but they were providing Pirates' commentary once again, with a commentator who even berated a player who had been sin-binned for not coming back on to clap off the Pirates.

I don't think they can continue to call it a 'Sports Show' more like the Rugby Show, with occasional football updates.

I can remember a time when you wouldn't have to wait too long for a score update on a Saturday afternoon.

Guest Peppermint

I did fill in a complaints form a few weeks ago and did eventually get a reply which quite frankly was a waste of time. They did state that there had been very little in the way of criticism of the Sports Programme which seems strange if Forum users have complained. It seems to me that they can just ride rough shod over us the licence payers.