Cornwall Football Forum

Cornwall County Youth Trials

Oh now i get it justice, silly me

we do not get all the best players together to represent the County because we do not have the time or the man power,

that explains it all then,

thanks for letting me know !

obviously the best players are already playing at senior level, if theyre still at junior then they dont have the desire so dont warrant a place in the county team

derek ....give up this argument mate....we both have had success at junior and SENIOR level and are giving our opinions to the football minded intelligent people on this forum.Alas cornish football has a high % of people that hav,nt been privilidged to have our expiereince and SUCCESS AND LETS HOPE THERES NOT A NIGEL MARTYN OR ROY KEANE OUT THERE NOW PLAYING FOR A CORNISH junior TEAM COZ THEY WOULD,NT BE ALLOWED TO PLAY.

and we can,t argue.......... look at the success of the county u18 side over recent seasons :rolleyes:

Oh now i get it justice, silly me

we do not get all the best players together to represent the County because we do not have the time or the man power,

that explains it all then,

thanks for letting me know !

That’s it you have got it now!

It’s about people giving up their own time and going out there and travelling around to look at players. So why don’t you and the super intelligent and successful Dan who can't spell, stop moaning and either come up with a solution to the problem or give up some of your time to help!

sorry but you can be a very good player in a good team at junior level but the fact is the teams you would be playing against every week just aren't good enough. At the end of the day if a player is good enough to play for the county he is good enough to play 90mins every week for a senior team. If a player is happy playing with their mates at junior level then that is down to them but they should have the ambition to play as high as they can.

Its not rocket science St Justice is it. It wouldn't be too much hard work to contact Junior Clubs and ask managers if they wanted to recomend 1 or 2 trialists. Obviously it would have to be made clear that they must have a realistic chance, but to just dismiss every player because they play at Junior level at just 17 years old is ludicrous.

I repeat, the County will NEVER field its strongest team until it stops limiting its options in this way. Its about leaving no stone unturned and being fair to all our youngsters.

When Jamie Lowry was 16 years old he signed for St Column Minor (Duchy Premier). He is now 21 years old

and playing in his fourth season as a first team regular at Chesterfield.

What better example can i give you than that.

Its not rocket science St Justice is it. It wouldn't be too much hard work to contact Junior Clubs and ask managers if they wanted to recomend 1 or 2 trialists. Obviously it would have to be made clear that they must have a realistic chance, but to just dismiss every player because they play at Junior level at just 17 years old is ludicrous.

I repeat, the County will NEVER field its strongest team until it stops limiting its options in this way. Its about leaving no stone unturned and being fair to all our youngsters.

When Jamie Lowry was 16 years old he signed for St Column Minor (Duchy Premier). He is now 21 years old

and playing in his fourth season as a first team regular at Chesterfield.

What better example can i give you than that.

OK this sounds like a plan coming together. All you need now is to start giving up your time to help the CCFA with this plan. When do you think you can start contacting all of these junior clubs?

your missing the point st j ,what derek is saying is why should,nt a young cornish footballer be allowed to attend a trial if he thinks he ,s good enough???why not include.....no fat boys? for example....people would say its silly.

sory bout the speling :drink::drink::drink:

I agree but you are missing the point as well. It would be impossible for the small group of selectors (two I think) to get round to all the games. I think you would agree players cannot be selected purely on a trial, they have to be viewed playing competitive football. So like I said if people have a problem with the system they need to give up their own time to make a change!

Guest Man on the Post

The solution is simple. Someone is appointed to pick a squad of the most talented 17/18 year olds playing in junior football and they play a couple of matches against those selected from senior football. This will show if the ‘senior’ players are really that much better. However I don’t think this will happen as it would be very embarrassing if the ‘junior’ players won!! :D

Guys, I give up my time every single week to try to run the County U-18's, I get no remuneration from the CCFA, nor do I ask for it. I also get 4-5 weeks to conduct trials and pick a side before our first game. That doesn't even give me an opportunity to have a friendly in some cases!

The reason for this is that until leagues start and previous U-16 players are able to play open-age football and are having a go for real in proper matches, you don't have a clue who will be available.

If we had trials for every single U-18 player in the county then we's have about 300 kids turn up, most of whom would be a mile away from being good enough.

Hakey's played county U-18 football and knows the standard and if you're not playing a really good standard week in week out, the levels you have to step up to play are enormous.

I played a lot of FA Vase matches as a player and when we used to meet teams from higher leagues it might take us all the first half to adjust to the pace of the game, sometimes the game was beyond us before the second half began.

The player from Southampton that Local Boy refers to was the captain of the Hampshire side who beat us 2-0 in the final a couple of seasons ago. He ran the game from start to finish and was in a different class to the rest of the players on the park that afternoon. After the game I had a chance to speak to him with the Hampshire manager who was also one of the academy coaches at Southampton. He'd been offered a pro contract on 3 or 4 occasions and had turned them down because he simply didn't know whether he wanted to play football as a career. The Hampshire manager just shrugged his shoulders and said it was completely up to him.

You may disagree with the methodology of picking the side, I could just pick the side and ignore all your view and comments but I'm trying to be open and honest. If there's a few of you out there who want to give up hours of your time and help us with our scouting network and commit to trials and training sessions and endless phone calls etc give me a call. If anyone wants to have a go at the job, come to the AGM next year and put yourself forward. I do the job year to year and get appointed on that basis.

Having been fortunate to have played county football at schools, youth and senior level, as well as played at one of the county's top sides for a decade, I do have a little experience.

At the moment I feel like Doctor Crippen!

Guest Peppermint

What a difficult task Tommy has and although he spends countless hours in running the County Youth Team it seems that he can never win. Hakey's point about the opposition that the Junior Players play against week in week out is a key point.

Whoever gets selected to represent the County then good luck to Tommy and his squad for the coming season. Keep up the good work Tommy and you are efforts are appreciated by a lot of Forum users.

What a difficult task Tommy has and although he spends countless hours in running the County Youth Team it seems that he can never win. Hakey's point about the opposition that the Junior Players play against week in week out is a key point.

Whoever gets selected to represent the County then good luck to Tommy and his squad for the coming season. Keep up the good work Tommy and you are efforts are appreciated by a lot of Forum users.

I second that Tommy goodluck for the coming season.

Plenty of people on here appreciate what you are doing!

I agree its such a tough job to do but Tommy is doing a great job there, like he said got to the final a couple of years ago against sides with players mostly on the books of pro clubs or clubs playing a higher standard than we can offer down here.

At the end of the day if u are good enough u will be picked because u will be playing at a senior standard already.

Yes some junior sides may well beat east cornwall/ combo sides but the fact of the matters is like a already said the teams they are playing just arent up to it.

I played senior football since i was 15 scored plenty of goals in the ECPL a few in SWL, played 2 seasons for cornwall youth and i still struggled at county level. Maybe i just wasnt good enough but if u are playing junior football it is a MASSIVE step UP to play at county level

tommy...i still luv you :P but this argument is about a"rule" thats existed long before you arrived at ccfa and not directed at you.if rule was,nt in place you would be lucky to get 6 junior players attending anyway,BUT there might be 1 or 2 gems that may with your knowledge and expertise improve and strengthen your squad .BUT then again they might not but either way you would,nt lose anything would you?

keep up the good work tommy :c:

Thanks Dan, but keeping with spirit of honesty I won't hide behind some "mysterious rule" that exists at the CCFA.

There is no rule! Although after I started with the team I realised that it was similar to the way my predecessors ran things.

It's something that I put in place to try to get the best players playing county football in the quickest time I have at my disposal.

Nobody would be happier than me to have kids coming through the ranks from lower leagues pushing for a place in the team.....I hope they do.

Good Luck to you and your boys for the coming season Tommy.

I think you are doing a wonderful job, and i would'n't want you to think that i was underesimating your contribution along with the vast experience and knowledge that you bring to the job.

I was merely expressing my views on the selection process which stem from the fact that when Godolphin were still a Junior Club we had some very good younsters who would not get a chance under the current

process.

I fully respect your reasons and that we don't live in an ideal world, keep up the good work and do the County proud, win, lose or draw !!!

: tommy you do a good job with the county under 18 people allways reckon they can do a better job we have all heard recently that derek martin has stopped some young players from playing and taking part in trails by telling them they will not be apart of godolphin duchy side what sort of a person \ manager ? isnt that bulling ? lets all hope he has nothing to do with any county job

I think you need to get your facts straight before you start talking such nonesense. That is a cheap shot that you just came out with so maybe if you came out and revealed to us all exactly who you are i would put you straight on this matter. But as it is i have no intention of wasting my time discussing anything with a nameless, faceless person who obviously has not got the slightest clue what he is talking about.

I think you need to get your facts straight before you start talking such nonesense. That is a cheap shot that you just came out with so maybe if you came out and revealed to us all exactly who you are i would put you straight on this matter. But as it is i have no intention of wasting my time discussing anything with a nameless, faceless person who obviously has not got the slightest clue what he is talking about.

Or she is talking about!!!!

I see the logic in the selection policy but there are going to be a few quality players that would get in the first XI and thus make the team stronger who are going to miss out.

We have an amazing 16-year old midfielder who is one of the first names on the team sheet every week. He starts every week in a midfield that could easily hold it's own in ECL div one at worst (probably a bit higher) including Steve Sparkes former captain of Loughborough University 1st Team (one of the best uni sides in the country), TJ Newton who played for the Royal Navy and has had a few Penisula clubs after him, Karl Urlander who played in the lower reaches of the Swedish national league and Ben Lawrence who used to play for Goonhavern SWPL. He doesn't want to play senior football...yet, as he is spending the season with us as his older brother is our goalkeeper. At over 6 foot tall and one of the most technically gifted players in our squad I believe he would be an outstanding asset to the youth team but the selection policy is going to deny him the opportunity.

County's loss is P6's gain.

I see the logic in the selection policy but there are going to be a few quality players that would get in the first XI and thus make the team stronger who are going to miss out.

We have an amazing 16-year old midfielder who is one of the first names on the team sheet every week. He starts every week in a midfield that could easily hold it's own in ECL div one at worst (probably a bit higher) including Steve Sparkes former captain of Loughborough University 1st Team (one of the best uni sides in the country), TJ Newton who played for the Royal Navy and has had a few Penisula clubs after him, Karl Urlander who played in the lower reaches of the Swedish national league and Ben Lawrence who used to play for Goonhavern SWPL. He doesn't want to play senior football...yet, as he is spending the season with us as his older brother is our goalkeeper. At over 6 foot tall and one of the most technically gifted players in our squad I believe he would be an outstanding asset to the youth team but the selection policy is going to deny him the opportunity.

County's loss is P6's gain.

In my opinion Tommy and colleagues do a good job with limited time and resources.There will always be exceptions of course, but there is time next Year for such youngsters to come through. My reading of Tommy's criteria is that Cornish born players could be considered whatever level they are playing currently.

Having played County Youth, albeit a number of seasons ago now. I can see why Tommy only entertains players from Senior football. The standard of the players that you compete against are normally players that have played for a professional team in the junior ranks. If a player was a late developer then Under18's might be too soon for them anyway. If Tommy didnt have a cut off and had every man and his son show up then a player could be the exception to the rule but because hes not playing that higher standard week in week out would he be able to consistently put in performances for the County when you've been skinning a 45 year old full back one week then playing against an U18 player thats just been released from say Charlton the next.

I would say its a great experience representing the county and if you are a junior player and feel you can make it then get yourself in a senior team and have a crack. We won the South West Counties title in 1999 and Im still in regular contact with alot of the lads now. Most still playing at different levels, none at Junior level though.

My reading of Tommy's criteria is that Cornish born players could be considered whatever level they are playing currently.

No .... I think you'll find all players have to be playing at Senior level :c:

The original post read

The trials are open to all players born on or after September 1st 1990, players must have been born in Cornwall, or currently playing for a club in Cornwall at a level of East Cornwall Premier League, Cornwall Combination League or higher.

Notice the word or after born in cornwall...... its not and

So as long as the player is born in Cornwall surely any youth player can attend the trial? (senior or junior status).

Unfortunately its a bit stupid that players have to be playing senior football to qualify for the county team. surely heresay would qualify an good u18 player but grammatically anyone cornish is available according to mr matthews. Especially if ther being loyal and playing for their local village/town instead of just playing with a bunch of strangers.

I play for a senior team and have come from a duchy 2 team and am pretty confident there are plenty of 'junior' teams would easily compete in the east cornwall and combo league.