Cornwall Football Forum

defending advice please

hi guys, just need some advice really if thats ok. im looking to change position to right back next season and would like help on playing the role as defence is new to me. i have tried to do some research and will also be watching some of bodmins pre-season friendlies keepin an eye on the right back for tips. can any1 give advice regarding marking and position for a right back. cheers

keep your eye on the ball. if you have a tricky player running at you, you dont want to be looking at their body shape. this is because they will fool you with their feints and tricks. and you dont want that. the trick is to not be flat footed. stay on your toes then you can move quickly in all directions.

You must make sure you win the ball. the main thing is to stay on your feet for as long as possible.the decision as to weather you can win the ball is everything. can i win the ball? Do i have other defenders around me? if your on your own delay diving in . and if the attacker touches the ball tooo far then that is when you can dive in. but its important not to be on the ground for too long cos you will be out oif the game. choose your tackles wisely.

its hard to win the ball back. so work hard to keep hold of the ball. stay calm, when your team is under pressure keeping pocession is perfect to take the sting out of the game. some players also do this by time wasting. i.e faking injuries, taking time with throw ins , making subs. but i wouldnt condone this. just keep pocession. if your team is in pocession keep the pressure on by pushing forward not keeping the ball at the back. it will come with experience. the only way to get this is by doing it. dont dwell on too many books. but when you watch the bodmin right back , analsye him in relation to the above. and your new role as a right back defender will be become clearer.

also dont ball watch. be aware of whats going on around you. i.e players running of the ball. Coming in behind you unnoticed. also keep goalside.

good luck. :thumbsup:

Guest stealth

if you have a smart ass of a winger to mark and he dicks you in the 1st 5 minutes of the game you make sure he dnt do it a 2nd time. if you tackle him hard but fair early in the game 9 times out of 10 the ref will have a word with you. but the longer the game goes on and you tackle him hard its goin to cost you the price of a booking

Just let the winger "know you're there" in the 1st five minutes. After that, stay on your feet as long as possible, DON'T go to ground unless 100% necessary because that will ensure that any attacker has to make up his own mind and not have you make it up for him. If you're going for a ball in the air, SHOUT "Blues Ball" as loud as possible because you'll be surprised how many players win headers by doing just that. Finally, tms no9 ALMOST had it spot on. If in doubt GET IT OUT. 1st and foremost as a defender you clear the ball.

This is ridiculous.

You can't "learn" how to play right back simply by coming on a forum and asking how.

You need to be going out every night and playing football. This is how you learn. There's a multitude of drills and things you can find on the internet that you can practice every night either alone or with one or two friends. If this isn't possible go and train with one of the better teams wherever you live so that you have a solid one or two sessions a week with decent players. Instead of watching bodmin pull your finger out and go to train with them,you may not be good enough to get into their first team but i'm sure thy will let you train with their 2nds at the very least.

"nobody ever learnt how to swim without getting wet"

I would also like to interject that much of the advice i've read in this thread so far is equally disappointing. Playing football isn't about "hitting people" or assessing if someone is better than you and wiping them out. That's awful and anyone soliciting advice to this tune should really ask themselves why they're playing football.

Just try to improve your own skillset and develop your own style of play through match practice and training. I'm sure you'll enjoy football much more if you take this approach than turning up on a saturday without having touched a ball since last week and kicking players, getting booked and so on.

Anyway, good luck i hope al goes well. Who knows, maybe Bodmin will be watching you soon enough :P

Guest Top Dog

Well said Dinho....Nobody ever learnt to play from a few tips on the net......If you can't play by now.....you never will !!!

So far there has been some ok advice and some quite good advice! Bear in mind if you kick the crap out of people you may let down your team!

Te first thing you need to keep in mind is that you don't need to re-learn football to change position, most of the skills are transferrable! You can still kick a ball!

What you do need to learn is the positional sense of playing right back and the positional sense of those around you. How will you fit into the defence? Will you be playing the attackers onside when the rest of the back 3 or 4 have made a charge to the half way line?

More importantly than all of this is knowing how your gaffa wants you to play. Is there a certain point on the pitch when he wants you to show the defender inside, and a certain point where you have to show them the line? It is about dictating where the attacking player is going. A lot of people are not aware that most good defenders do this constantly.

PM me if you like and I can show you this as part of a whole training session, or as a written example.

Some good advice Fatso...

However i would probably pay to see this

PM me if you like and I can show you this as part of a whole training session

May i ask of your expirience and current/previous clubs just out of interest?

Also who exactly is the original poster playing for and in what league is this? Again out of interest.

Baggie I reckon if he did then he might of got us to the Euro's!

a....dinho: I trained at Bedford Town as a young player and there was a heavy emphasis on this type of defending. I also took part in a session in Dallas, Texas a couple of months ago in which this was the focus.

I am a midfielder, I play for Storm in Mining1. I have coached a lot in the past and will be getting back into this again, so I am booked onto my level2 next month. I teach as a job and plan to run a training session on this type of defending with Storm before the season begins, as we also will have a new right back starting by the sounds of things. That is where the poster of this thread would be able to see the full session, but if you wanna pay.... I'm happy to take the money! Good times!

Some people that play in the Mining league have had higher level football than they are currently playing.

That was a bit of a shitty comment dude, very disrespectful. Who's to say because I play Mining league, that level represents my coaching standard. I don't normally coach at the club and prefer just to train. But you must be a superstar and not need training right? hehe

Whitney you tart! Good job I have work Saturday we have you guys in a friendly I believe.

Anyway, imagine if I did decide to get fitter! It's just not my thing.

I was going to pop up and watch you strut your stuff mate but may not now !!

To back up Priceys comment about just cause someone plays mining one doesnt mean there coaching isnt great. Mourinho and Benitez were obviously amazing players hence why they are great coaches and John Barnes was a rubbish player hence why he cant get a job as a manager anywhere.

Coaching and playing are two different things - it is a major advantage to of played at atleast the standard you are coaching at if not a level higher but not a must.

Pricey used to be a quality player when he went to Bedford Town - then discovered the Pork Pie and the rest is history

If playing right back doesn't suit you then you could always take up the whistle and deal with all the misdemeanours that you have been advised to get up to.

It's much more fun; you still get dirty but you get your own shower room.

You still keep fit but without the injuries.

You only need one set of kit all season but without having to worry about what to wear.

Just ask Anita !

and before anyone gets carried away, Level 2 coaching if its just a small step up from Level 1, can't be hard!

Level 1 is the most basic course I've ever attended in my life, and that includes a cycling proficiency test. Having that level does not make you a good coach.

Yes you are correct in saying that the level is not the most challenging course if you have played football but you would be surprised that some people do struggle with the concepts brought across by the course!

The level 2 coaching award will not be the walk in the park you think. When i was part of a session for both level 2 and 3 coaches in plymouth the FA assessment officer from southampton highlighted that only 60% pass the level 2 on the first attempt!

If playing right back doesn't suit you then you could always take up the whistle and deal with all the misdemeanours that you have been advised to get up to.

It's much more fun; you still get dirty but you get your own shower room.

You still keep fit but without the injuries.

You only need one set of kit all season but without having to worry about what to wear.

Just ask Anita !

I still have to pick what football boots to wear, :D and i don't get my own shower room, normally have to share with 2 men :P

The only reason I asked St Darren is that 2 years ago the FA completely redesigned the level 1 qualification, with a lot more emphasis on structures of sessions and progressing sessions.

There is also a lot more about child protection and first aid and equal opportunities, I agree that the old level 1 was a bit of a joke like the old cycling proficiency test, however the new one is actually a decent course especially for beginners.

The avatar is class I borrowed it off of one of my insider sites...

Cheers

Just to add one more comment...........

There are some people who do not have any qualifications and are awesome coaches. Having the qaulification merely classifies this in terms of working levels etc.

Roy Keane did not have his Pro License last summer but he didn't get sacked when planty of Premier League nosses did. Consider these things.

Firstly, forget about Dinho's ill advised comments about not being able to learn anything from a Forum. Football is a decision making game, and any advise you can get from people with knowledge about coaching, or from players experienced in your specifiic position, is always worth listening to, be it face to face or otherwise (on a Forum for example). If Gary Nevile was a contributer to this site i am sure you would be listening to his advise if it was given.

Football is a decision making game and as a defender you will constantly be assessing situatons (if your consentration is good enough) and will be making decisions based on the ever changing situation you are challenged with.

Their are several key factors about good defending that will always help you to make better decisions in game situations, some of which people have already been touched upon,

1 Positional sense is very important and you should, whenever possible put yourself in a possition to antisipate and to intecept passes to your direct opponent as this is the cleanest way of winning back possession for your team, without allowing passes to be played into the space behind you.

2 Try to work to the principle of "a job and a half" that is to say, mark your own direct opponent (your job)but also be aware that if you centre back is beaten you will need to be in a possition to get accross and cover for him (half his job). A good centre back will be doing the same for you. If you are beaten he will come accross and cover for you. Incidently If you do get beaten down down the flank you should make a "recovery run" back t towards your own goal (not down the flank) to get back goal side as quickly as possible as your centre back will have vacated his possition to go out and cover your ass, do not chase your man down the flank unless you are much quicker than him.

3 When the ball is on the otherside of the pitch don't bother to mark your man tight, it is always the position of the ball that dictates your position. In these situations you are aware of your opponents position but you are antisipating the more immidaite threat in the central area. The more the ball swithches accross to your side of the pitch the tighter you need to be to your man. Try to be in such a position that if the ball is passed to him you can either intercept it or at least make up enough ground whilst the ball is traveling towards him to pressurise his first touch. If his touch is poor you can then take the ball away. If on the other hand his touch is good try not to let him get turned. If he is al;ready turned and running at you, keep your eye on the ball and jockey him, if poss force him onto his weaker foot ( or in a direction pre determined by you coach/Manager). Do not commit to the challenge based on movements of the body. If you can at least slow your apponent down in this way you will have allowed your teammates to get in possition behind u. When jockeying in this way, be balanced and low on your toes and try to fain challenges to your apponent to make him think you are going to tackle him. This puts pressure on him as much as he is pressuring you, (cat and Mouse) what he wants u to do is commit and make his mind up for him DON'T DO IT until u are sure you can win the ball !

5 Quickly establish the strenghths and weaknesses of your direct opponent. If he is stronger on one foot than the other then try to force him onto his weaker foot whenever possible, this is achieved by your body shape and the angle of approach as you close him down.Establish if he is quicker than you, if he is quicker you must not mark him tightly when high up the pitch because the ball can be played into the space behind you for him to run onto.

6 Remember that although you are primarily a defender, you become an attacker as soon as your team wins possession, so see if you gan become effective going forward, but be mindful that if an atttack breaks down you must get back in posssition very quickly.

Defending is an art, if you are quick and make good decisions you will have every chance of becoming an effective full back, if you are not so quick you can still be effective but your reading of the game and decision making will need to be that much better,

Good Luck

DM

Derek.

Football is PARTLY a decision making game. A true decision based game would be chess or poker, for example. Football does involve decision making constantly, but it is not the main aspect of football. There is no single main aspect of football for that matter. But to say that football is mainly or purely a decision making game is incorrect.

In this fact i think some of your advice is incorrect. Fair enough, good advice can never be a bad thing. I never said at any point that good advice would hinder your progress as a player.

You've provided some pretty comprehensive and good advice in my opinion. However, if everyone on this forum were to read the written teachings of Gary Neville i don't think they would all become better right backs or footballers at all. Some may benefit a great deal, others may not be affected.

Knowing how to do something and the theory behind why this is the correct decision does not neccesarily enable an individual to be able to do it.

For example, i "know" that to bend a free kick into the top corner of the goal i need to be able to (insert any number of different skills here with full descriptions of how to perform each i.e. kick right side of ball to curl on x part of foot or whatever). But just because you have read the advice on how to do something doesn't mean you will be able to do it.

I liked your advice on positioning Derek. You seemed to sum up a great deal of things into a good solid teaching. This is the type of knowledge that you can gain on a forum. Imparting knowledge and expirience is possible, but again it's not always going to work. Just because you have told the OP about these things doesn't mean he'll get them. Or maybe he will read through it and the next time he plays a few things will click. He can come back to the advice and re-read and learn some more. It depends on the individual.

You cannot teach one the skill of slide tackling through any number of posts on a forum. You can advise,sure. But i 100% guarantee that a new or unskilled player will not be able to successfully slide tackle or whatever skill because he/she has studied advice on a forum.

Again: "nobody ever learnt how to swin without getting wet"

Football also involves the development of muscle memory. If you don't understand what muscle memory is, or how the above quote relates to all of this then go away and research it.

I really don't feel like i'm getting my point across here as well as i could but i hope you've read all this Derek

There are some aspects to defending that can be improved with study of written content but with regards to performing skills, which was what i was referring to you cannot do this via a forum.So to an extent my original post was flawed because there are some things that can be learnt from asking on a forum.i.e. a better idea of where to position oneself. As for performing the skills i stand by my original pos and i'm sure many other who've bothered to read and comprehend these posts will agree with me.

I feel that although you can pick up useful advice on a forum, nothing beats actually playing the game. Ideally you would have the presence of a coach on hand to offer you the advice whilst you're playing. But by putting it into practice what you've learnt, you'll improve quicker as often in the heat of the moment what you've read is forgotten.

My advice if I was his coach would be kept simple as not to overwhelm or bamboozle the player:

Whilst defending: simply try to stay on your feet, watch the ball and only if you are 100% sure you can win it, do so. Most importantly stop the crosses from your opponent.

Whilst attacking: provide support for your teammate in front of you in case he is under pressure and needs a passing option. If you think you can get forward and make an overlapping run, great but always be cautious as you are new to playing Fullback and you don't want to get exposed whilst out of position.

Take your positional advice from those around you, namely the Central defender alongside you as he'll be able to tell you to 'drop deeper', 'push up' or 'tuck in'.

Keep the advice straightforward and easy for them to remember to start with and as time progresses add extra dimensions to their game as their experience and confidence grows.

Guest Dermot

If in doubt,boot it out. :D

If the Winger keeps beating you,blame your Midfield for not getting back to help you. :rolleyes:

If your side are getting beaten heavily,move up front and score a few goals to make you feel better. :lol:

If you and your team are having a real nightmare game,blame the Ref and especially the Linesman/woman. ;)

well guys i thank u for ur advice, although it is unfair for dinho to say pull ur fuinger out and train with the 2nds and play football on a regular basis when i am already training with the 2nds and play football 6 days a week. i play in defence for 2 5 a side teams so i do have basic grasp of defending, but i have never played as a defender in an 11 a-side team and my problem isnt with staying on my feet or anything like that but is more about postion and keeping the line at the back. im very quick and can tackle most players that attempt to take me on, my only concern is that i am marking the wrong player or something and let my team mates down.

can i just add, derek that was great advice and exactly what i was looking 4, cheers mate