Cornwall Football Forum

All weather pitches

Guest Blackshirt

Guest Blackshirt

Could someone please tell me if they like playing on this new all weather pitch, that St. Stephens borough aim to try and play on next season. :smiley20:

Hi blackshirt. Ive played on lots of all weather/astro pitches in the past, some here in cornwall but most over in switzerland, which was great when there was 4ft of snow covering the pitch in the morning and by kick off you had a perfact playing surface. Most are really good, some not. But i do belive if you play on them all the time you do have an advantage over other grass playing teams. Getting back to cornwall, i would say it would be unfair to other teams who have to play on it. Has the Cornish FA confirmed this??

Guest Blackshirt

steve

I have to agree I myself have never played much football on an all weather pitch, but have officiated on them on several occasions. Its just like a large seven aside pitch and I believe it will give the team whom plays on it regularly an advantage. Plus there is a wire that is sometimes stretched across for nets and this does get in the way and as its an outside element the game is stopped on quite a few occasions, I don`t know whether this wire can be removed or not but personnally the whole idea of a team playing on this type of surface worries me. :smiley20:

Give us some respect

Yeh that bloody wire also runs on the pitch. But im sure it would not be there in an official game! Plus the surface it not good for your knees!! But they are getting much better like the one at pool collage (trevenson afc and vets). I must admit astro turf looks fantastic.

The wires that segregate individual pitches is easily removed for an eleven a side game. The playing surface is obviously superb and in the wet weather is a delight for a sharp, slick, quick passing team. A far cry from some of the bog's we have to endure during the winter months. But definately the team that plays on this surface every other week will have a distinct advantage. But lets not forget, most players have at some point or still do play 5 a side or train on astro turf or next generation 3G pitches so we're not all aliens to this type of surface. And the carpet burns from slide tackles. OUCH!!! :(

Guest Blackshirt

Fair point john but surely the home team with that sort of advantage gain to much and it is just not fair on the other clubs in the league. I think it is something that has to be really looked at before a club is allowed to play in a senior league on this type of surface, maybe allow them to play for a short trail period or until they find a proper grass pitch. :drink:

Give us some respect.

I don't like these artificial pitches for the same reasons as John The Baptist and Steve Wints have already stated. They are bad for the knees, the visits to casualty for skin grafts after a stumble or slide tackle are really inconvenient and lets face it, football is a game that's played on REAL grass (or mud between november and february).

Although you've said about the home team getting an unfair advantage due to being more accustomed to the surface, can't you say the same about every home team in football?. Take a pitch like Halestown or even the dangerous St Ives pitch, none of us like to play on them and pretty much find it impossible to do so.

No disrespect to Halestown but they aren't exactly the best team around but you check how many games they've lost on their pitch and I'll guarantee it's atleast 70% less than they have lost away.

"HOME ADVANTAGE" is a well known football phrase for a reason.

Guest Blackshirt

coopsie

fair shout on that, gen 3 astro is said not to cause to much burns but I have done 6 games this season for a mate whom runs a side that plays friendlies on the one in Saltash on Sunday mornings against team from all over the country, and I have wittnessed one broken leg, two badly twisted knees and one sprained ankle all from falling awkwardly on the surface. :o

Give us some respect.

Give us some respect.

Blackshirt, I personally don't find that at all surprising. I know there are people out there that actually like the surface because of the perfect passing surface and the durability to cope with all weather conditions but there can be no doubt that it takes more away from the natural game than what it adds.

I never feel sure footed on any artificial surface and my own worthless opinion is that it's bloody dangerous.

Guest Blackshirt

Coopsie

Totally agree Football is supposed to be played on GRASS not plastic or rubber. If these injuries occur in a friendly just think what could happen in a fall blooded affair with some of the cluggers playing at that level. :(

Give us some respect.