Cornwall Football Forum

HOLLOW VICTORY !

Guest ECPL Supporter

Personally i think it's 11 against 11 and you should just get on with it. Sometimes it can work in your favour as the team are not used to playing together or the players brought in are not as hungry. Sometimes it can work against you. But if you let it bother you it can stop you playing your own game and cause you're worried about them and have got a ready made excuse. 1 game doesn't win or lose leagues, a whole season does!!!

Guest Postie Pidge

I think he's insinuating that Tamarside used players from the other named clubs.

Who was the Falmouth player?

welcome to the hard done by clubs derek,it happened over 20 years ago to port when i was there. we lost league coz newquay played a "strenghthened side" final game of the season.it,s not right and never will be, and the idiots who think its ok have never been in that position and probably never will be because they have,nt got values or principles,or are,nt good enough to be in that position.

how many times have i seen on this site "its legal so its ok","others do it to us"from idiots-only consolation is things have a way of righting themselves in footie,look at newquay now ,they,ve not done much since then and they were a super side back then.

Guest Dermot

It just seems to me that it wasnt a victory for Tamarside but a victory for Torpoint ? <_<

But can i just say well done to The G and you never know with 2 games to go and 16 goals to make up,footballs a funny old game. ;0) :thumbsup:

Guest crosser

The falmouth player was ben davies.

I can understand how Goldolphin feel but one game doesn't lose you a title i'm sure some of the Torpoint ECPL players will feel there's been games over the season were things have happenened to them. You've just got to get on with it. Goldolphin still have a chance to win the title thats what they should be worrying about.

All the cliches are wrong.....one game at the end of the season does lose you the title.

I cant believe the amount of players playing for them from different clubs. 6 or 7 isn't the odd player.

I'd love to see it the other way round then see what people think. Tamarside probably don't care, but it's so wrong. I have nothing to do with godolphin but certainly understand their annoyance. Loads of clubs can pick other players but don't do it.

I have to disagree entirely with all those who say” it doesn’t really matter”, or “its just 11 against 11” and “one game doesn’t win or lose you a title”.

To all who think those excuses are perfectly valid for playing mercenaries (or mates who wouldn’t normally play for you)

How about this scenario:

Alex Ferguson is the father of Peterborough manager Darren Ferguson, would it be OK then for Peterborough to roll up at Rochdale on a Wednesday night towards the end of the season when Man Utd don’t have a mid-week game (unlikely I grant you… but) with Rooney, Ronaldo, Ferdinand,Vidic and Hargreaves in their side and win 5 – 0.

Of course this would never happen because FA and League rules at that level wouldn’t allow it – Now there’s a very good reason for that – because it would be deemed grossly unfair and not in keeping with the spirit of the sport. Well folks, I would say the same should apply further down the pecking order into grassroots football and it’s about time it did.

Player should sign-on at start of the season either as Senior or Junior and for one club only, if at the end of the season clubs flood their second teams with first-teamers that is something we’d just have to accept, as they are at least playing for that club. But the current situation where we have senior players popping up all over the place in different teams in different leagues to bail out this team or boost the title hopes of another is at best a shabby practice and must be very disheartening for some of the smaller clubs.

Come on the FA and the leagues, lets start playing fair right across the board eh.?…..do unto others, and all that.

Time for the sensible Clubs to get the Rules amended to one Club only signings.

It is clear that the spirit of Rule 8 is being flouted and the Management of the League should take a long look at what is going on.

Some Years ago I had to stand in front of the AGM and promise that our Club would not abuse the rule by overloading with First Teamers just to boost Reserves.

Gareth

Not really sure about the new under 16 rule and what effect it has. Both of my lads who currently play, didn’t start playing in the men’s game until they were 16 and 15 respectively, however some of my own mates, admittedly they were the better youngsters at the time (and that was over 30 years ago now) were playing at 14 with no problems, and to be honest it was, shall we say, a somewhat more robust game at that time.

Biggest problem over the years that I have noticed, is that come July and August you can get plenty of potential players who turn up and sign-on (well if you’re lucky you do anyway) and by October/November time (colder, wetter and muddier) a third of the players registered at the club have gone walkabout resulting in the more junior sides having a real struggle to get 11 players each week.

Thing is I guess…there are so many other things a young man can do with his spare time these days, 30 years ago, if you weren’t into football at the weekend you were probably “Billy no-mates” or the like. Interestingly I have noted in recent years just how many good (some of them very good too) teenagers who played youth football at the same time as my two boys, just stopped playing altogether at 16 or 17

I don’t know…maybe we’ve just got too many leagues/divisions/teams for the time in which we live.

My God what a rant I’m on today…..ah.!!...I know why….season’s finished, nothing left to do (well for a week or two anyway)

It is ridiculous for people to say that loading teams up with players from bigger clubs does not matter and that it is only 11 against 11 as previously stated on here....have these people forgottten or are they just not aware that only a couple of seasons ago Nanpean played half the St.Blazey first team against Camelford in a vital ECPL final league fixture and won 1-0 with a goal scored by one of these players which sent Bude down in which i know was a highly embarrassing affair witnessed by many that night and has been mentioned and much regretted already by Chairman or the farce at Padstow who fielded the Bodmin first team striker whose goals in an otherwise shock 5-0 win over his OWN clubs (Bodmin's) second team in another vital match in the ECPL championship run-in effectively ended their hopes that season. I am afraid this has been going on for many years as several will testify but still those in power do nothing just like suspensions for weeks instead of matches which is outdated and unfair and unnecessary replays in cup matches etc etc.

It's always happened and always will until a rule is brought in that states that you can only play for one club regardless of what league they are in.

It's bad enough filling a second team with first team regulars to help you out of a tight spot but drafting from other teams is completely wrong in my opinion.

Is putting first teamers that will be sat on the bench and not get a game into the second team wrong? Many people see this as unacceptable too!

Guest Peppermint

Excellent postings by Arlen that sums up the situation very well. I t does nothing for Tamarside's reputation if they can play some many players from other clubs and playing first team players from Torpoint is absolutely taking the mickey.

Truro Mr M is also spot on because Tamarside should have been made to play on the due final date in the Evely Cup. The FA Cup Final date was set at the start of the season and Portsmouth and Cardiff cannot askfor it to be played at a later date.

If Tamarside have all these players at their disposal then they could have played on the proper date.

It seems very unfair that Godolphin beat Torpoint Reserves last week and throughly deserved to on the balance of play andthen could have the title snatched away bythis unfair act.

Guest ECPL Supporter

unfair act? Tamarside also brought players in when they played torpoint, did torpoint complain? no. Sticker had players in from another club when they played torpoint, did torpoint complain? no. it's a long old season and many many talking points where every team will feel hard done by somewhere. Things always even themselves out over a season and the best team wins the league. Godolphin can still win it, so if they really are hard done by i'm sure they will

Until the rule is changed its always going to happen, i dont think you can blame the players cause at the end of the day they are doing what they enjoy playing football. (hands up i have also played for another team at the end of the season as my orignal season finished way back at the beginning of april.) As the rule reads at the moment its allowed, i do agree it should be look into thou.

Just like to point out thou that the G for all their claims of being hard done by, have been using a player that played elsewhere all season and only joined them for the last couple of games.

I fully sympathise with Godolphins feelings in relation to this situation. It is true that Tamarside did not breach any rules in this matter, and I think that most people who have seen Torpoint or Godolphin would agree that either of them would make worthy champions. However i feel that Tamarside's integrity has taken a large blow.What about the spirit of the game that is so often talked about? There have been several comments about the best team winning the league over a season. That is usually true , but only if it is a level playing field.Can it be called level if Torpoint played against a Tamarside team that did not contain these players from a higher league. Indeed if Tamarside fielded the same team on Weds night for their other games would they not have won the league. Why were all the drafted players from a higher league.Do they not have a second team that they could have used?Will any other ECPL sides now refuse to play a midweek game against Tamarside for fear of playing against a team that bears little resemblance to their normal side.

Guest ECPL Supporter

I fully sympathise with Godolphins feelings in relation to this situation. It is true that Tamarside did not breach any rules in this matter, and I think that most people who have seen Torpoint or Godolphin would agree that either of them would make worthy champions. However i feel that Tamarside's integrity has taken a large blow.What about the spirit of the game that is so often talked about? There have been several comments about the best team winning the league over a season. That is usually true , but only if it is a level playing field.Can it be called level if Torpoint played against a Tamarside team that did not contain these players from a higher league. Indeed if Tamarside fielded the same team on Weds night for their other games would they not have won the league. Why were all the drafted players from a higher league.Do they not have a second team that they could have used?Will any other ECPL sides now refuse to play a midweek game against Tamarside for fear of playing against a team that bears little resemblance to their normal side.

Torpoint DID play tamarside containing these players at the start of the season. What's the difference?

Guest ECPL Supporter

Come to think of it. and at the end. Both League games were midweek with tamarside containing players from a higher league

Surely it is time that the Rule was looked at and maybe at least enforced.There is mention of the spirit of the law and it seems that some Clubs are prepared to treat it all with contempt.

If it is so well acknowledged why hasn't someone complained to the Management Committee?

Guest Peppermint

I would very much doubt that Tamarside's team that played Torpoint earler in the season contained as many players from other clubs as they did against the 'G'.

Another point if Tamarside having been doing this all season then do they have any of their regular players and what happens when the regulars are left out for the new non regular players.

Not blaming the players involved because if they can earn some extra money then good luck to them.

Would be interesting to get a viewpoint from a Tamarside spokesperson.

Guest Grandson of Jimbo

Both the ECPL posters on here seem so well informed but also so full of bias towards the Devon teams and so full of disrespect towards the Godolphin team,at the end of the day the Godolphin players are all from the Newquay area and most of them have played in the same team for a good number of years,yes they may have one new edition to the team but certainly not 7 or 8 ringers for one of the most important matches of the season as Tamerside did.

The Godolphin Atlantic are probably the most succsesful Pub sides in the County over the past few years so i think they have earned the right for some respect,and that is not being given by ECPL a so called rep for this Cornwall/Devon? League. :c::c: :c:

Guest ECPL Supporter

Not being biassed, just saying how it was. There were 4 or 5 earlier in the season, but like i said BOTH league games against torpoint not just 1. G are a great team, and will do well at the higher level next season,

Guest Sport Lover

In some respects football has itself to blame for these problems and could easily solve them.

Dont allow players to play for other clubs.

(Does rugby or any other sports allow players to play for other clubs?, I know hockey would never allow it)

Shorten the season so it doesnt over run into the cricket season therefore giving some teams a player shortage.

I'm sorry Grandson if Jimbo but you don't seem to read any of the responses, you have it in your head that everyone including me is against Godolphin. And every cornish club unless it is Torpoint. You would not look so silly if you actually read my positings. Unfortunately you will never change your mind even though you are wrong, so lets agree to disagree on this one.

good luck to godolphin, class side and should do well in a higher division. somehow we beat them this year tho in the league cup, wel we played awsum wit an average team age of 17 and a half lol. well done to torpiont to be fair they did top the division for most of the season. and how did morwenstow get a draw wit godolphin?

i would like to thamk every one aqnd john hake for tonight worthly winners and respect is earnrd and what a season we have had good luck to you all what a great game tonight and dino at torpoint were after u next season mets#

Just like to mention that in certain leagues, if the game has a bearing on promotion or relegation only players that have played a number of games previous can play. Like someone mentioned Tamerside did nothing wrong because the rules are not in place to stop players form 5 or 6 different clubs playing.

Well done to the G great run club and good luck next year.