Cornwall Football Forum

Football grounds in Cornwall

Guest Gloworm

Guest Gloworm

Hi there! I'm new here and I'm from Oxfordshire. My family is traditionally Cornish and I visit Cornwall once a year.

I'm a football grounds enthusiast and I'm writing a report about football grounds in Cornwall for my website (which is still under construction).

I am planning to visit 9 grounds between 14th-16th April, but unfortunaly I haven't been able to find any fixtures to attend. This means that I will have to visit the grounds between fixtures.

My question is: Will these grounds be open between fixtures? I am trying to take a few pictures of these grounds so I might need to get into them to do this.

I am planning to visit:

St Blazey

St Austell

Truro City

Hayle

Penzance

St Ives Town

Falmouth Town

Perranwell

Penryn Athletic

I have chosen these because of the good rail links.

Thanks.

Gloworm

Don't take the mick out of St Ives.

Their problem has been that the ground is council owned and they (the council) have refused to let the club do anything to the ground or facilities. They are only allowed to have wooden buildings on the site, nothing brick or block built.

It's probably because that land is worth a fortune to the council due to developers, etc.

A real pity as on the pitch St Ives have been one of the most consistent combo teams. It's a pity they are let down off it.

CTB

Guest Postie Pidge

Tuesday 15th April (weather permitting) Falmouth Town entertain Torpoint Athletic in the SWPL (7.45).

PM me if you would like to visit at another time.

Tuesday 15th April (weather permitting) Falmouth Town entertain Torpoint Athletic in the SWPL (7.45).

PM me if you would like to visit at another time.

on the falmouth web site the torpoint game is listed as April 1st, can you confirm which is correct as i was thinking of going along if it was this tuesday.

Guest Gloworm

Cheers guys! This is all very helpful. I was concerned about visiting these grounds because I had the horrible feeling I might get a few good pictures of gates and nothing else. Thank you very much. :)

Do you know where these grounds actually are?

Yes, I've had a good look at google maps and found some directions from the stations.

Don't take the mick out of St Ives.

Their problem has been that the ground is council owned and they (the council) have refused to let the club do anything to the ground or facilities. They are only allowed to have wooden buildings on the site, nothing brick or block built.

It's probably because that land is worth a fortune to the council due to developers, etc.

A real pity as on the pitch St Ives have been one of the most consistent combo teams. It's a pity they are let down off it.

CTB

half of it is the council owns the pitch, the other problem is that many of the people that live behind there started a petition as they didnt want a clubhouse with loud music etc on their doorsteps!!

Guest Ronin

many of the people that live behind there started a petition as they didnt want a clubhouse with loud music etc on their doorsteps!!

Hmmmm sounds familiar. We've had that problem at Perran. Funny how people hear the music drifting out of the local football club but they never moan about the racket pumping out of the pubs or the bars on the local holiday camp :glare: You're very welcome at Perranporth Gloworm if you are down our way :D

Guest Gloworm

Just thought I'ld add that I'm staying on a small village on the Lizard so getting to games is going to be tricky. If Mullion are playing at home during my stay, please tell me. I'm looking to get a game. :)

Guest Gloworm

Nearest games schedules for the 15th

Porthleven v Fal Town

Wendron v St Day

Did you get my PM Gloworm.

My offer still stands if you've nowt to do.

Yes, I did get your PM. I am planning my trip right now so I will get back to you when I've finished.

Guest Gloworm

The only this I can hope for now is good weather.

I also researched a trip to Porthleven, but decided it was too difficult to get to so I made alternate plans (i.e. A long walk along the lizard, taking some good pictures)

I'm certainly looking forward to my trip to Cornwall, just as I have for almost every year since birth. This year will be something specal though. I rarely got the opportunity to visit beyond St Ives before next week, so I'm really exited. :thumbsup::c:

It looks doubtful that I will be able to make it to any matches, but I visit annually so perhaps next year...

Guest Gloworm

Surely getting to Port from the Lizard is easier than Perranwell? You've got a 45min journey to the nearest railway station.

I'm staying in a small house near the lizard (not sure exactly where). But I have train tickets for 2 days travel, and Perranwell has a railway station.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Gloworm

OK, sorry to bring this topic back, but I thought I'd drop a note on how I'm getting on.

I did manage to get pictures of all those grounds I mentioned on the first post, but Penzance was the only one I didn't manage to actually get into, because there was nobody to ask for permission. The people at the grounds I did get into were all very friendly and let me in.

I have been gradually working on my account of my visit to the football grounds, having written reports for Hayle, Penzance, St Ives Town, Falmouth Town, Perranwell and Penryn Athletic. Still to write Truro City, St Blazey and St Austell, but have got some free time over the bank holiday so will try to complete it in the next few days.

A very big thank you to everone that has helped me do this. A holiday well spent for me! :c:

Gloworm.