Cornwall Football Forum

Senior Cup semi-final venue switch

Has Steve Massey got a valid point about switching Senior Ciup semi-final venue?

This is story in Falmouth ediiton of the West Briton.

What happens next?

Falmouth Town boss Steve Massey says he is 'really disappointed' that the the Cornwall FA has rejected his plea to switch the venue of his side's Westinsure Cornwall Senior Cup semi-final against Truro City next Wednesday.

The tie is due to be played at Porthleven with a 7.30 kick-off - but Massey wanted it to be staged at Treyew Road, home of their semi-final opponents, because he says five of the Devon-based Falmouth team would struggle to get to Porthleven in time for kick-off.

Cornwall FA secretary Barry Cudmore told Briton Sport yesterday: "The County Cup Committee has turned down Falmouth Town's request to play their Senior Cup semi-final at Truro.

"The reason being that the County would be in contravention of its own Rules as Senior Cup Rule 24 states that 'When the clubs shall have been reduced to four in number two semi-finals shall be played on neutral grounds'."

A furious Massey commented: "I am really disappointed with the Cornwall FA's decision. The way I feel at the moment, I feel like forfeiting the game, and my chairman, Graham Medlin, agrees.

"Yes, I could get a team out, but it would mean the players literally arriving at the ground, getting changed immediately, and going straight out onto the pitch.

"Is that really the way to prepare for the semi-final of such a prestigious cup competition?"

Massey said the Cornwall FA's decision was not the end of the matter as far as Falmouth were concerned, and he added: "If we can't play the game at Truro, how about St Blazey? That would make far more sense, and it would be fair to both sides."

Massey first spoke on Monday to Mr Cudmore, who told him he was in the process of ringing around the Senior Cup committee members to ask their opinions on the suggestion of playing at Truro.

Why change the venue ? I appreciate that Falmouth are now virtually a Devon/East Cornwall side playing staff-wise, but their supporters are predominantly from Falmouth surely. So a quick trip across to Porthleven (about 25 mins away) is surely more desirable to them than having to go all the way to St Blazey (through Truro and St Austell just around tea-time). Truro as a venue had to be a non-starter, as this would surely mean that a precedent would be set that in future, clubs could negotiate between themselves as to whether it might/might not profit them financially etc. to make a switch from a designated neutral venue.

Besides, is Steve saying that this game is so insignificant that the players concerned can’t be bothered to make arrangements to get down in time (so much so that he and his club are considering throwing the game) Good grief, we’ve always had our fair share of Plymouth-based players down here over the years (some very good lads too, I must say who we’ve enjoyed playing with and watching!) but as of this year with the new SWPL are we in danger of moving the heart of Cornish football even further to the east ?

Oops… sorry that sounds a bit political, but I think you’ll know what I mean.

Incidentally everyone is assuming here that Truro will win and the final be at Blaise Park, what if Falmouth won, wouldn’t Truro be an obvious choice for the Final then ? Just a thought.

It should matter where the players come from nugget. Lets be realistic here everyone in this league has a daytime job and therefore only play in this league for a hobby. Therefore its about enjoyment. and I cant imagine even the devon based truro players will be happy about travelling to prothleven on a wed night. If they were able to travel to the game during the afternoon then fair enough but they obviously cant. Is that enjoyment.??? If it is so much of a problem for those 'job worths' in the CCFA to not change the venue then why not play the game on a saturday like the earlier rounds are?????? That would certainly give the players time to arrive at the pitch in time to prepare. I fine it bizarre that people in positions of so called power never have the ability to make sensible decisions. What do they fear exactly???? So to conclude it's nice to know that both teams will be prepared both phjysically and mentally for what is for some and will only ever be the biggest game of there season. Thank CCFA great job

I am sure the semi-finals used to be played on a Saturday and that would solve the problem. I presume they were switched to midweek in the hope of getting better crowds and not mucking up league games. I agree Roger that staging the game at Porthleven is not the most sensible of decisions. It is going to put off the neutrals from mid cornwall and beyond. Last semi-final between two teams was at Penryn a couple of years ago, don't know why that was not venue again.

I am a supporter who watches falmouth now and again because I live that way but for me I it's not about whether the supporters have to travel further or not it's about the people who will attempt to win the game for their respected clubs the PLAYERS? Yes it right that the game shoudl be played at a neutral pitch close to the respected teams involved but I again mention the point of Penryn? Both the devon based falmouth and truro players are used to travelling that distance every week so that would be more appropriate surely? I appreciate that porthleven will accomodate a larger crowd but lets face it 10,000 wont be turning up cause its at porthleven will they. The gate will be know more then 300-500. Penryn can hold that

Not for some time I fear. They are not the most dynamic of organisations to say the least. Its a case of well we have always done it that way! You just have to look at how long they delay the draw and how it is announced. A switch to 8pm would be a reasonable compromise, but that would be too logical I fear

Ha Ha again I agree. Why cant the draw be made on radio like the throgmorton?? You cant almost predict the semi final draws every year. Wasn't it funny how the supposidly 4 biggest teams all missed each other in the 1/4 final. Noithing to do with drawing in big crowds for the semi??

Guest Rubber Soul

I've heard a whisper that Wadebridge has been earmarked for the senior cup final. Strange choice, if it's true, because I gather they are still having problems there with their new pitch.

Nugget, great suggestion about moving the kick-off time for the semi-final at Porthleven to 8pm. The Voice of Reason strikes again.

I've heard a whisper that Wadebridge has been earmarked for the senior cup final. Strange choice, if it's true, because I gather they are still having problems there with their new pitch.

Nugget, great suggestion about moving the kick-off time for the semi-final at Porthleven to 8pm. The Voice of Reason strikes again.

wadebridge were due to host the semi between perran and liskeard the other year but It kept being called off I would have thought penryn should host seeing as its widely accepted they have the best playing surface

Guest Rubber Soul

"Wadebridge were due to host the semi between perran and liskeard the other year but It kept being called off I would have thought penryn should host seeing as its widely accepted they have the best playing surface."

Agreed. But we are talking the Cornwall FA here.

I have it on very good authority, Nugget. Can't understand it, but certain promises have been made, apparently. You heard it here first.

Why not Wadebridge?

It has 4 large changing rooms and two referees rooms which solves the perinnial problem of 4 teams changing in 2 changing rooms that happens every year for the Junior and Senior Cup finals.

I've played in the Senior Cup Final enough times to know that having to move the players clothes etc while they're playing so you can get changed and then coming in to a room that looks like a bomb site when you've finished can be a problem.

I completely agree that in terms of playing surface, Penryn is out there on its own, but Wadebridge will surely host the finals sooner rather than later because the other facilities are second to none.

Accepted, the clubhouse needs sorting out but from what I understand, steps are being taken to do that sometime in the future.

I have to say, having played there years ago, the new set-up is brilliant in terms of facilties.

Why not Wadebridge?

It has 4 large changing rooms and two referees rooms which solves the perinnial problem of 4 teams changing in 2 changing rooms that happens every year for the Junior and Senior Cup finals.

I've played in the Senior Cup Final enough times to know that having to move the players clothes etc while they're playing so you can get changed and then coming in to a room that looks like a bomb site when you've finished can be a problem.

I completely agree that in terms of playing surface, Penryn is out there on its own, but Wadebridge will surely host the finals sooner rather than later because the other facilities are second to none.

Accepted, the clubhouse needs sorting out but from what I understand, steps are being taken to do that sometime in the future.

I have to say, having played there years ago, the new set-up is brilliant in terms of facilties.

as you have said the facilities are very good but surley the pitch is also top of the list I haven't been there this season what is the pitch like now????

Guest plainmoor

do you think it right and proper that the secretary of the ccfa who also has strong connections with wadebridge has a say if it is held at wadbridge or not?

Guest cornish pasty

surely 1000 crammed in at penryn is better than 500 at porthleven.

if the manager of falmouth feels his team have a better chance playing at treyew due to his players travelling commitments than why not ??

home advantage v travelling is the same

as for the draw fix, that leaves the final nicely at blaise park or bodmin.

it depends on who serves up the best free lunch for CCFA (never a sandwich left when they are guests)

I doubt it. Then you're looking at a 10pm finish so the majority of supporters wouldn't get home from Porthleven til 11 & the Devon-based players would still be on the road at midnight. I don't see why a Sunday isn't an option.