Cornwall Football Forum

Referee left with bleeding nose! match abandoned

Len Stevens is the ref the match Sennen V CSM in Mining 2. The player launches himself at Len blooding is nose (not sure that he threw a punch or anything but rather ran and jumped at him) and Len abandons the game.

To say I am shocked is an understatement!

Watch this space as to what the League does I suppose.

The SENNEN PLAYER is called Lee Murphy. Lee apparantly attempted to HEADBUTT Lenny but luckily Lenny managed to move out of the way a bit and was caught by the players shoulder as he lunged forward.

The General is right, Lenny was indeed gutted after this incident.It would be good to see what those of you that think the guy who flashed his bits in a photo should get a suspension think should happen to the pr#@k that assaulted a very good referee.

I personally don't think he should be allowed to play again and in the professional game, the club would be fined for failing to control the player. There is NO room for this kind of behaviour in football or any sport and the book should be well and truly thrown at all guilty parties. :angry2:

GET WELL SOON LEN !!

I HAVE BEEN ON THE RECEIVING END OF AN ASSAULT FROM A PLAYER THIS SEASON BUT NOWHERE NEAR ANYTHING LIKE THIS (NO DETAILS WILL BE PROVIDED SO PLEASE DON'T ASK !)

I CAN ASSURE YOU THAT THE FA WILL COME DOWN EXTREMELY HEAVILY ON THE OFFENDER IF THE CASE IS PROVEN.

THE CLUB WILL ALSO RECEIVE MAIL FROM ST AUSTELL WITH REGARDS TO THE GAME BEING ABANDONED DUE TO THEIR TEAM'S BEHAVIOUR.

I CAN ONLY SUGGEST TO SENNEN FC THAT THEY CONTINUE TO PURSUE THEIR CURRENT ACTIONS OF REMORSE AND APOLOGISE PROFUSELY TO LEN AND TO THE FA.

THE COUNTY FA HAVE BEEN KNOWN TO SHOW LENIENCY TOWARDS CLUBS THAT SUPPORT THE POLICY OF SHOWING RESPECT TO THE OFFICIALS.

I'VE SEEN REFS GIVE UP THE WHISTLE FOR A LOT LESS SO I HOPE LEN CONTINUES TO PUT ON THE BLACK SHIRT NEXT WEEK WITH THE SUPPORT OF ALL OF US !!!!

aBSOLUTLY DISGRACEFUL NO ROOM FOR IT

BAN HIM FOR AT LEAST 5 YRS MINIMUM

SHOULD REALLY GET A BATTERING FROM TEAM MATES FOR A) RUINING THERE GAME

B) RUINING THERE REPUTATION C) RUINING FUTURE FOOTBALL FOR THEM AS REF WILL NOW FINK TWICE ABOUT REFFING THEM AND UTIMATELY NO REF TEAMS ARE GUNA THINK TWICE ABOUT PLAYING THEM

HOPE YOUR BK NEXT WEEK LEN

He should be banned for life - as should any player who assaults a match official. There can be no excuse whatsoever for it ever to happen.

agree completly we all get frustrated but there is no excuse for attacking any official the powers that be must make an example of the player and the club to ensure this never happens again if the refs dont feel safe enough to go to games all our weekends will be ruined.

Am I mistaken or, slowly but surely (O.K. much too slowly), are clubs in grass roots football moving to the point where they're actually considering starting to treat referees properly?

I know this thread implies otherwise, but the comments are very positive and my experiences suggest that refs are getting a better deal from junior clubs.

No sign of the Senior Clubs doing ANYTHING.

I'm not sure that Pidge telling Len how easy it is to give blood, helps! (He probably knows by now.)

RUINING FUTURE FOOTBALL FOR THEM AS REF WILL NOW FINK TWICE ABOUT REFFING THEM AND UTIMATELY NO REF TEAMS ARE GUNA THINK TWICE ABOUT PLAYING THEM

I'm pretty sure I'm due to ref Ludgvan Res v Sennen this Saturday, I dont have a problem with refereeing Sennen but because of the events of Saturday and Ludgvan struggling to raise a side recently, not sure it will go ahead anyway??

I feel ashamed reading the above thread after giving the referee at our game on saturday abuse after some (in my opinion) some poor decisions. It makes me realise what a pratt i was having the referee telling me to leave the dugout for abuse aimed at him. Yes it wasn't in the same mould that Mr Stevens had but still makes you realise referee's are there to try and enjoy the game as well.

I will be ringing Steven Rowse our referee to again make my apoligies.

Coopsie if you are reading this thread which i beleive you have already left a comment..... I wasn't trying to be aggressive on the thread involving TCFC and if came across that i was please accept my apoligies.

Being a life long Leeds fan i need all the support from you all, withour running you all down.

Best wishes to all for a peaceful week.

Guest postman pat

this has been a black day for cornish football.having refereed a game on saturday and thoroughly enjoying the game to come on here and read what happened at sennen has ruined it for me.

i hope len is ok and will carry on refereeing if only to make sure that AS*****S like the sennon player do not win.perhaps now when some of you shout at a ref you will realise how vunerable he/she really is.at the end of the day we refs do it because we enjoy it!!!!!

lets hope that cornish football can turn the corner from this ugly unacceptable incident and move forward with a little respect for match officials.or we will not have leagues to play in. :c:

Guest Sport Lover

Maybe the Police should be involved as I cannot see the CCFA coming down hard enough on this player to send out a message to other thugs and prevent it from happening again.

According to the County Handbook, the offending player can be suspended immediately upon receipt of the Referees report and a disciliplinary commision must meet to consider the case within 28 days. The recommended punishment for "Assault causing or attempting to cause bodily harm" - sine die suspension with no review considered for at least 5 years plus £250 fine (which Sennen would have to pay if the player doesn't!)

Guest Sport Lover

Actual Bodily Harm

If the case is tried in the Magistrates Court or the crown court the maximum penalty is six months' imprisonment and/or a £5,000 fine. If it is tried in the crown court, the maximum penalty is five years' imprisonment and/or an unlimited fine.

Grevious Bodily Harm

The maximum penalty is six months' imprisonment and/or a fine. If the GBH was racially aggravated the maximum penalty is two years' imprisonment.

Some of you may remember a case of a head butting at a cubs football match in 1995. In those days we had cub football leagues all over the country.

My cub pack (I was their leader) was playing a team from the village where I live. We were winning 1-0, had one goal dissallowed and the game was 9 minutes old.

Our keeper, who now plays for Hayle kicked the ball out. It bounced and caught one of their players in the tummy. He doubles over and our independent ref blows up about 5 seconds later.

On storms their manager, has a go at the ref and then headbuts him. Blood everywhere, game called off and everyone goes home.

The refs wife phones the police and they get involved. The manager ends up at Pz court and is fined, has to do community service and attend an anger management course.

Now the thing is, I used to film every match. The police came took it off me, made copies and gave me back the original, telling me not to show anyone the tape.

The day before the trial the refs missus phones me up and asks if she can borrow the tape as she had not seen it and her husband wanted to look at it to refresh his mind to what happened. I said yes as long as they did not show anyone else. They brought it back to me that evening after roughly 3 hours.

The day after the court case the daily papers are full of the story (front page in some of them), with pictures of the match and the headbutting. The refs wife had done deals with the papers and needed the tape to have stills made so they could be sold. What a fool I was. They made over £2500 (her husband told me when I went to confront them) from the story. The Cornishman even paid £50 for a picture as they sent me the cheque as they knew I was group leader.

They lived in Connor Downs but moved up north soon after as their neighbours all fell out with them for what they did.

The story continues.

2 years later we went away on a barge "canal-camp" for a week in the midlands and used the train to get to Coventry. On the way there the kids read the free magazine that was on offer in those freeby packs they used to give away. In the magazine under "It's a funny old world" they mention the football match and the headbutting as if this is what kids want to read. The cubs wern't upset but some of them were ones who were at that match.

When we got home I wrote a stinker of a letter to the train company who wrote back apologising, saying that they were dropping that section of the magazine. They also sent some free t-shirts and other goodies for the cubs by way of apology.

It made me teasy that someone could make £2500, and treat it as a joke when it was assault.

That story is the honest truth, so please be careful what you do on and off the pitch.

CTB

As a committee member of Sennen FC I on behalf of all the team would sincerley like to apologise for the actions of one player. We are all absolutly disgusted by his actions and the player will not have anything to do with the club and will not play for us again.

No one expected the player to react the way he did until the incident occured, after which the rest of the sennen team tended to the ref to make sure he was ok.

We would like to apologise to all the players from Camborne School Of Mines for the behaviour of the player as it had been up till then a good football match, and we are sorry that is was spoilt by one stupid individual, good luck for the rest of the season.

Finally (again) our most sincere apologies go out to Len Stevens, sennen football club will support any punishment handed out to the player. The club will not tolerate this kind of behaviour.

Sennen FC

As a committee member of Sennen FC I on behalf of all the team would sincerley like to apologise for the actions of one player. We are all absolutly disgusted by his actions and the player will not have anything to do with the club and will not play for us again.

No one expected the player to react the way he did until the incident occured, after which the rest of the sennen team tended to the ref to make sure he was ok.

We would like to apologise to all the players from Camborne School Of Mines for the behaviour of the player as it had been up till then a good football match, and we are sorry that is was spoilt by one stupid individual, good luck for the rest of the season.

Finally (again) our most sincere apologies go out to Len Stevens, sennen football club will support any punishment handed out to the player. The club will not tolerate this kind of behaviour.

Sennen FC

Alice. :clapper: . Good on you for putting the club first and acknowledging that the thug responsible is without question "A TOTAL *****". I do my best not to swear or be offensive on these pages but when a good man, official and friend (and fellow yid supporter) is treated in the way that Lenny was, the player (can't refer to him as a man) deserves every insult that comes his way.

johnnie bates, don't worry about it sir. I now understand your frustrations after admitting that you are a Leeds UTD supporter. Oh, thanks for Gus Poyet by the way, seems you guys have gone backwards since his departure and Spurs are going from strength to strength.

Paparazzi, Sorry about the avatar mate. My intention was not to put anybody off their dinner BUT now that I know that it was you that got affected by it I will walk around with a smug and satisfied grin on my face.

One more thing on the assault on Lenny. IF the CCFA don't come down heavily enough, do they notify the police of the incident OR is that down to Lenny?.

with racial abuse in a junior match last week

now assults this week

what next for cornish football

Good question artificiosus and I think the answer lies with how those in authority deal with the matter. The fact that everyone who has come onto this thread has been horrified at what has happened to Len is a good sign that the majority of people would be happy if there was NO violence whatsoever in football and it is up to the clubs & FA to uphold that. Let's hope they do and make it quick.

CTB - loved the story but I'm sorry to say that somethings don't change in youth football. As an Under 11s coach I can definately say that there may only be 7 players on the pitch but at some clubs there can be about 15 "managers" (parents) on the sidelines who are quite happy to shout abuse at refs (but not pick up a whistle and offer to do the job themselves). Shame.

Coopsie it is down to Lennie to contact the police, he has to make a complaint of assault. Sounds like he could well get a conviction - plenty of witnesses + he may be awarded damaged for his injuries, loss of pay, medical expenses, distress etc. Depending on the severity of the injury he could also apply for injury payment to the Criminal Injuries Compensation Board - minimum payment 1000 pounds. I know its not all about compo but if he has suffered badly from this then he deserves something other than an apology and what ever the CCFA decide to do. Finally what an absolute disgrace.

Thankyou for that sir, the problem is that Lenny is probably too nice as a person to make it a criminal investigation (pity) and knowing him the way I do, he probably would NEVER admit that the guy gurt him. I can only hope that the CCFA are as strong with their punishment as people on here have suggested they are because if they don't come down upon this thug with immense force,what sort of message does it send out to others and what does it say to all you officials that take time out each week?.

I cannot help but think that Len will but be bouyed by the support from the forum and its members.

I am very sure he will continue to referee after over 40 years of playing, managing and refereeing I am sure it would be hard to give it up.

But I do sincerely hope that the league punish this individual. I feel sorry for the officials and club members of Sennen as I know that you should not need to control your own members from being violent.

I know Len reads this forum and would like to remind him that he was voted the best Referee by the Mining league 3 seasons ago. With good reason.

Good bloke to!

Guest Rubber Soul

Lenny has spoken to Nathan Richards in today's Cornishman and reveals what he's decided to do. It's a good interview, on the back page, and is worth reading. If you can't get a copy of the paper, they have got a website through thisiscornwall.co.uk and it should be on there.

thisiscornwall.co.uk ©

LENNY VOWS TO CARRY ON WHISTLING

Be the first reader to comment on this story

09:00 - 21 February 2008

A penzance football referee says he has no intention of hanging up his whistle, despite being allegedly assaulted during a One & All Sports Mining League fixture at Sennen's Mayon Green ground on Saturday.

Camborne School of Mines were leading 3-2 in the second division fixture, when an incident occurred involving a home player and referee Lenny Stevens, who subsequently abandoned the game.

Lenny, from Heamoor, told The Cornishman: "It had been an enjoyable, sporting game, with nothing to indicate anything like this would happen.

"In my 10 years of refereeing I've never been involved with anything like this before. I had refused Sennen a penalty decision and turned to deal with a player involved who then launched himself towards me, leaving me with a bleeding nose and split lip."

Lenny added that he had decided against reporting the incident to the police, and that the matter was now in the hands of the Cornwall FA.

Barry Cudmore, secretary of the Cornwall FA, confirmed they have received a report from Mr Stevens, but said that they cannot comment on a case of alleged assault on a referee.

Mr Cudmore said: "The referee's report has been received and as you will appreciate I am unable to comment on a specific case which is under investigation.

"Information on action in cases of alleged assault on a referee can be found in The FA Memorandum of Disciplinary Procedures, in the county handbook, page 83."

In summary, the handbook states that the alleged offender can be suspended immediately upon being notified of the charge, and a disciplinary commission must meet to consider the charge within 28 days.

The recommended punishment for 'assault causing or attempting to cause bodily harm' - is a Sine die suspension with no review considered for a period of five years, plus a £250 fine.

Commenting on a Cornish football website, a spokesperson for Sennen Football Club said: "As a committee member of Sennen FC, I on behalf of all the team would sincerely like to apologise for the actions of one player. We are all absolutely disgusted by his actions and the player will not have anything to do with the club and will not play for us again.

"No-one expected the player to react the way he did until the incident occurred, after which the rest of the Sennen team tended to the referee to make sure he was okay.

"We would like to apologise to all the players from Camborne School of Mines for the behaviour of the player as it had been up until then, a good football match, and we are sorry that is was spoilt by one stupid individual.

"Finally our most sincere apologies go out to Len Stevens. Sennen Football Club will support any punishment handed out to the player. The club will not tolerate this kind of behaviour."

Despite the unsavoury incident, Lenny said his enthusiasm for the game had not been affected, and that he had been heartened by the many messages of support which had been posted on a Cornish football forum.

He fully expects to be back in action again this Saturday, when he takes charge of another Mining League fixture, between Holmans and Halsetown.

Guest postman pat

as a fellow ref len i respect and admire you. :c:

you have acted with dignity and grace after a diabolical and threatening incident by one mindless moron.it could not have been an easy descision to carry on refereeing but! it is the right one.this sends out a strong message to anyone who cares to know that refs. will not be intimidated by thugs.

good on you :thumbsup: :drink:

Len was the Ref today for our game against Halestown (holmans) and I am very pleased to say he showed what a fine Ref he is allowing the game to flow with as much advantage as possible and stopping any infringements that would occur. Both teams behaivour was excellent with some good humour between the sides (we can only laugh we got walloped 6-0!!!)

I spoke to Len afterwards when I paid him (£25 well spent) and he said he enjoyed it so hopefully he can put this incident behind him and carry on

I for one can be vocal towards refferee's (anyone that knows me is fully aware i like the sound of my own voice) however incidents like this remind us players that we are here on a saturday to enjoy the sport we love and would not be able to play without those lone men in black who take the field and yes occasionally annoy but also do it for the love of the game so I would say the next time you shout and scream at a ref remember they are only human and we all make mistakes and as players we make a lot more mistakes then a ref over 90min if not we would all be in the premier league making vasts amount of money as we were so perfect

Well said Pitty,i am sure Len appreciates all the support he has received on this forum,also your last paragraph means a lot to us Refs,makes a change to hear from someone big enough to put such positive comments about Refs on here. :thumbsup:

I was slated on this site for my game last week and it certainly makes you wonder why we do turn up week in,week out in all weathers,but as you say we do it for the love of the game,and after Reffing Wendron V Perranporth yesterday it makes it all worthwhile,2 great sets of players and a really enjoyable match to Referee,cheers fellas. ;0) :clapper:

Len was the Ref today for our game against Halestown (holmans) and I am very pleased to say he showed what a fine Ref he is allowing the game to flow with as much advantage as possible and stopping any infringements that would occur. Both teams behaivour was excellent with some good humour between the sides (we can only laugh we got walloped 6-0!!!)

I spoke to Len afterwards when I paid him (£25 well spent) and he said he enjoyed it so hopefully he can put this incident behind him and carry on

I for one can be vocal towards refferee's (anyone that knows me is fully aware i like the sound of my own voice) however incidents like this remind us players that we are here on a saturday to enjoy the sport we love and would not be able to play without those lone men in black who take the field and yes occasionally annoy but also do it for the love of the game so I would say the next time you shout and scream at a ref remember they are only human and we all make mistakes and as players we make a lot more mistakes then a ref over 90min if not we would all be in the premier league making vasts amount of money as we were so perfect

lenny well done mate .we were on the other pitch,yesterday and i meant to come over to say well done.but got side trecked and miss you,.so once again,well done mate one of the good refs out there :c: