Cornwall Football Forum

Camborne Lions

Just had a mail listing some of the players who graduated through the coaching skills of Paul and John Nettle of the Camborne Lions youth "academy"

MATTHEW ETHERINGTON-1996- Peterborough United(58app.6g)/£500,000 Tottenham Hotspur(51app.2g)/Loan Bradford City (13app.1g)/Swap £1 million rated to West Ham United(180 app.16g)-3 England U21 caps.

LEE PHILLIPS-1996-Plymouth Argyle (60 app.1g)/Weymouth (67 app.33g)/ Exeter City(87 app.21g)/Torquay United(13 app.7g)

ANTHONY TONKIN- Mousehole/Falmouth Town/1999-Yeovil Town(114 app.2g)/£50.000 Stockport County(27 app.)/ £150,000 Crewe Alexandra (93 app)/Loan- Grays Athletic(14 app)/ Forest Green Rovers(30 app)

Justin Harrington- Norwich City/Leicester City/Bournemouth/Porthleven/St.Blazey/Truro City

Nicky Medlin- Exeter City/Porthleven/Illogan RBL/Holman SC

Ian Gosling- Mansfield Town/Falmouth Town/St.Blazey/Truro City

Ross Pope-Troon/Falmouth Town/Truro City

Steve Proctor -Troon/ Penryn Athletic/FalmouthTown

Karl Turner-Falmouth Town/Penzance/Bodmin Town/Helston Athletic/St.Just

Mark Vercesi-Penzance/St.Blazey/Truro City

Andy Butcher-Truro City/Penryn Athletic/Helston Athletic/St.Just

Ben Medlin-Exeter City/Porthleven/Helston Athletic/St.Just

James Vercesi

Greg Butcher Truro City

Kim Doe- Penzance/Holmans

Carl Paparone-Falmouth Town/Holmans

Andy Hill- Illogan RBL/Holmans

Keith Rule-Falmouth Town/Porthleven/Holman S.c

Neilson Calloway-Cardiff City/Illogan RBL

Steve Wherry-Bristol City/Truro City/Penryn Athletic

Mark Smith-Bristol City/Falmouth Town-to Australia

Paul Gadson- Camborne RFC/Cornwall RFC

Malcolm Pooley-Camborne CC/Gloucestershire County CC

David Njie- Pool SC/Porthleven

David Neal

Adie Hart-Holmans /Falmouth Town/Launceston/Perranwell/Wadebridge Town/Porthleven/St.Day

Gareth Edwards-Holmans SC

Kevin Bailey-Bristol City/Hungerford Town

Mike Knowles-

Ben Goldring-Goonhavern/Launceston/Truro City/Penryn Athletic/Falmouth Town

Alan Roberts-Exeter City/Porthleven/ now at Hayle

Tony Moore-Exeter City/Porthleven/Holman SC

There are many more if anyone would like to add to the list and add any clubs to the above players.

Micky - I can't believe you put Doey and forgot Ruler, Doey is gonna give Ruler one hell of a ribbing.

[/quote

Hi Gareth,

I was only copying from a list supplied to me and I have added extra info'but I couldn't find any Edwards -but then you were only a tadpole in those days.

The only Lions connection would be your name for the British Rugby Lions or more appropiate The Barbarians ha ha and of course your dad with the Pengegon Lions.

Seriuosly Keith is gifted player and I remember his days at Bickland and then on to Porthleven.

Should Adie Hart be added and can you dig up a few more names as I would like to present these postings to John and Paul for good memories.

cheers -Micky

Wasn't there someone call Bailey from Plain and Gwarry in Redruth striker. I think he went to Bristol City then first Div left and went into the RAF. Would have been around 1983 TIME.

There was Mike Knowles who played for them good mate. I still think he choose the wrong game. He went on to play for many others clubs Holman’s etc. He had good prospect with Redruth RFC and beyond if he kept going same he stopped.

Thanks Rappo though it felt like he was a striker he put enough pass me at school then again that’s not hard. Must say that year saw a lot of lads do well. I think three lads played in games for England schools rugby two for football and produced some high level runners. Also year above produced more runners, pro golfer and list goes on.

David Njie and David Neal - I remember from school

i remember them from school too. haven't seen them for ages. you must have been in the same year as me then sport lover (if you went to camborne school that is). i was there from 1977-1982(well, some of it if i wern't skyving :lol: )

Macca wash your mouth out (only joking) No i went to Redruth school we probably played you a few times in the school games. i didn't play football for anyone that much out of school it was rugby for me in the early days. Christ i am starting sound old now. cheers

Billy Johns who is now playing for the army was another who was around the same time and I believe he had trials for Oxford utd (in goal!!!).

I know Billy well, he serves in the military with me and is a fantastic player, if he wasnt doing his current job he could easily be pro. I know he was on the books at Lincoln City as well as being on the Army team which is a privilage in itself.

I remember playing 6-a-side in Iraq, having to defend against him in the desert heat, fantastic skill, could certainly light up cornish football if he came back home, really quick forward.

Would this be the Billy Johns who is about 30 yrs old now?? Know him from school and if is the same guy he was a quality player. Had a 5 a side tournament at Malpas ( years ago now ) and the sole reason we made it to the semi's was cos of Billy. Think we got knocked out by a team that had Vercesi and his mates and they made us look like we've never played footie!! Also remember drinking a large quantity of whiskey and falling asleep in Billy Johns bath.....

Guest Sport Lover

Yeah Macca was in same year as the two Davids. David Njie is around but not seen David Neal or was it Neald? for ages I have seen his Dad though.

Who are you then? A or B population?

Yeah Macca was in same year as the two Davids. David Njie is around but not seen David Neal or was it Neald? for ages I have seen his Dad though.

Who are you then? A or B population?

a3, others in my form that i remember(not all football though) john curnow(as someone already said, done his knee and finished quite early) andrew wells, mingus smith(yes, it is spelt right), jees, trying to think now, mark bosanko, others i know but not in same form as me, adrian thomas, david n'jie, david neal, tony moore, eddie williams, mark chapple, mark roberts, and theres probaly a few more but my head hurts now,lol.

you probably knew me then. does MAC ring any bells?

I played for Lions for a couple of seasons U15/16's back in the 80's...

Other names ...Phil Wells...trialed with england schoolboys I believe,went on to play rugby,, Doogle Roberts played at Exeter, Matt Thomas went to Norwich....Craig Bray...Port & Holmans,Exeter trials,Rob Mcfadyen Exeter trials & i think he got in..Justin Paul was a quality striker but I think he went on to play Rugby or Motorcross I think....Would be be one cracking reunion...!

Guest Sport Lover

No sorry dont remember Mac but do remember Mingus, Tony Moore, Edward and Mark Bosanko.

I was in B3, I can remember Simon Merrifield, Nigel Ellis (see him a lot) ermmm cant remember many more must be having a senior moment.

No sorry dont remember Mac but do remember Mingus, Tony Moore, Edward and Mark Bosanko.

I was in B3, I can remember Simon Merrifield, Nigel Ellis (see him a lot) ermmm cant remember many more must be having a senior moment.

simon had white hair i think? :lol: , i remember nigel although can't picture what he looked like. i see nigel harris on the odd occasion, alistair philpott( lol, he could voluntarily throw up)

john curnow was good at all sports and good runner so he told me . he is now over 18 stone he still good at cricket

:o 18 stone, holy ****, haven't seen him for a long time. i used to work with his brother mark (foggy), and yes, john was a pretty good runner and always was a good cricketer. trying to think of his nickname :wacko: , oh yeah, john gnu, mention it next time you see him.

• 1 month later...

i know who you are now, hows it going dominic? :thumbsup: christ, its been a long time, 26 years near enough. damn, that makes us sound old.