Cornwall Football Forum

`RESPECT` The Ref.

Guest Dermot

Just announced that the FA have a new initiative titled `RESPECT` The main talking point is that the team Captain is the only player allowed to talk to the Referee during a match.

Cornwall is not one of the seven Counties involved in the pilot scheme,but i just wondered if anyone has an opinion on this subject?

Apparently any other player will be warned and booked if they continue to `talk`to the Ref. ;0/ :SM_carton_y:

Guest Postie Pidge

Referees should be respected in the first place and hopefully most will be blessed with common sense if this does become the norm.

Could appealing for a 50-50 end up with a booking?

The big point about this Graham is how will the different Refs carry this out,at the moment i tell an injured player if he has the physio on to treat him he has to leave the field of play and can only come back on when play has moved away from him,but some teams still say other Refs dont do this.

Will some Refs tolerate being questioned or as you say flash the cards? Or hopefully a bit of common sense!

Oh and a percentage would be a nice little earner,but i dont think i would have earned much over the last few seasons. ;0) :SM_carton_y:

Guest Postie Pidge

When a defender and a striker go for the ball and it goes over the goal line. Unless its obvious, you get a defender shouting for a goal kick and a striker yelling for a corner. Thats the scenario I meant

I know pidge mate. I was just referring to the thread we had a couple of months ago about appealing for decisions and some officials said that appealing was not allowed and players should be booked for it. However, there were more than a few realists out there that acknowledged that appealing for a corner, throwing etc is simply part of the game and if it gets to the point where a player is booked for shouting out "our ball ref", the game will become nothing more than a farce and people will simply stop playing.

PROPER players/sportsmen respect the ref anyway and when was the last time you saw your team surround and badger the ref in the same way as the dickheads on TV do?. It is there where the poblem is most evident and it is there where the dimwits at the FA need to start addressing the matter.

Guest Rabinowitz_The_Red

they want 2 start it at grass roots level then if it works there then they'll put it in the football league/premiership.

yes then rooney would defeintly go off every time :D

PROPER players/sportsmen respect the ref anyway and when was the last time you saw your team surround and badger the ref in the same way as the dickheads on TV do?. It is there where the poblem is most evident and it is there where the dimwits at the FA need to start addressing the matter.

Why do the fa always start at the wrong end of the scale I agree completly with coopsie they should sort out the people that the kids watch on telly which in truth is where this culture of appealing and arguing has come from!!! :SM_carton:

Guest Postie Pidge

Stig if both players are going for the ball and it could go either way then the referee has to make his own mind up. It's not trying to deceive the ref its appealing for a ball that could be theirs

That was my point Stig,i always tell the player to go off with the physio for treatment but some Refs still dont follow this procedure and this is where the confusion comes from.

But going back to the original thread,I also agree that it should start at the top and then maybe the respect would filter down to local levels,and the so called superstars would finally start to set an example but unfortunately i think that could be a long way off. ;0( :wacko:

They should start with the Premiership, as said by others on this thread. They are the "example" followed by everyone else, from mens' and womens' teams of all levels to little tackers. Players should also have their numbers on the front of their shirts as well so when a ref is mobbed (United of old et al) he can easily clock their numbers and put them all in the book. Two or three weeks of that with all the resulting double yellows would soon stop the dissent.

Did you see, I think it was Phil Dowd on the TV the other day.

Free kick given, the wall clearly not back more than 6-7 yards and the attacking team ask for the ref to move the wall back the full 10.

The ref ignores their plea and one of the attacking players paces out the full 10 which should mean the wall goes back another 3-4 yards and its clear the wall is not back the full 10.

Ref then books the player who paced out the full 10.

I know some of you will say the ref had to then caution this player but shouldn't he have moved the wall back himself? Dowd did you guys no favours with that decision.

I'm fully supportive of all refs and I'm all for the captain being the only person to speak to the ref, it's already going on at Barnet with the club recording a significant reduction in yellow cards for dissent.

Guest Rabinowitz_The_Red

it depends on the referee and the confidence they have.

Leaving the field of play is in the rules but i have only let 1 player go off as he was really injured and he needed to shake it off. If this makes me a bad ref, it don't bother me.

Some ref's aren't very good due to there comfidence aka, me at the begining of the season i had none and a certain team this season called ........ ........ gave me a hard game complaining at every call (which isn't fare but i do expet some talk back but not at every call) and i broke down. but now im refereeing with alot of confidence. Just look at my card ratio. 18 yc and 4rc in 19 games. as now im booking ppl which they deserve but if they did it at the begining of the season i probably would of left it as i was scared.

after my little ramble tms no9 i'll see you saturday. (just keep of the goal line lol)

How can you not appeal? It's instinct. You refs can't tell me that when you're watching England in the World Cup that you don't jump off your chair and scream at the TV 'OUR BALL' or 'FOUL' etc etc!!

It happens in every game and will always happen. If you start booking players for it then this game will just turn into a joke and to be honest the last few months it has anyway. Netball is more of a contact sport than Football is lately.

The ref we had last night was spot on. Talked to players and explained his decisions, can't ask for more than that.

Guest Postie Pidge

Similarly to the incident Tommy is referring to, back in the 70s I think it was Derby vs Man City at the old Baseball Ground and when pitches were devoid of grass and usually mud and rock hard grounds. Derby had a penalty and Joe Corrigan was unhappy where the ball was placed so he paced out where the penalty should have been taken from. Referee books him then paces it out himself. STILL not content, the groundsman comes out with a tape measure and a pot of paint to get it right. Derby scored the penalty and won 4-1

I ALWAYS TAKE MY ASSISTANTS INTO THE MIDDLE FOR THE COIN TOSS.

WHEN I SHAKE HANDS WITH THE CAPTAINS IN THE CENTRE CIRCLE I ASK THEM TO RESPECT OUR DECISIONS WHETHER RIGHT OR WRONG AS WE ARE ALL HUMAN.

IN ADDITION, I ASK THEM TO DO A CAPTAINS JOB AND BE REPONSIBLE FOR THEIR PLAYERS' BEHAVIOUR.

I REQUEST THAT IF I HAVE TO DEAL WITH PEOPLE THEN I WILL DEAL WITH THE PLAYERS CONCERNED AND THE CAPTAINS ONLY AS I DO NOT WANT 22 MEN GIVING ME THEIR OPINIONS AT THE SAME TIME.

IF A PARTICULAR PLAYER OR PLAYERS STAND OUT EARLY IN THE GAME THEN I WILL EITHER TALK TO THEM WHEN THE BALL GOES OUT OR GIVE A GENTLE REMINDER TO THEIR CAPTAIN WHILST THE GAME FLOWS ON.

IF A PLAYER DOESN'T CAN'T OR WON'T RESPECT MYSELF, MY ASSISTANTS OR THEIR OWN CAPTAIN THEN THEY REALLY ARE GOING TO HAVE TO TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR THEIR OWN ACTIONS.

IF, AFTER ALL THAT, YOU GET YOURSELF YELLOW CARDED THEN YOU NEED TO TAKE IT UP WITH YOUR OWN SECRETARY WHEN THE BILLS COME IN.

I TRY TO KEEP IT SIMPLE.

I ALWAYS TAKE MY ASSISTANTS INTO THE MIDDLE FOR THE COIN TOSS.

WHEN I SHAKE HANDS WITH THE CAPTAINS IN THE CENTRE CIRCLE I ASK THEM TO RESPECT OUR DECISIONS WHETHER RIGHT OR WRONG AS WE ARE ALL HUMAN.

IN ADDITION, I ASK THEM TO DO A CAPTAINS JOB AND BE REPONSIBLE FOR THEIR PLAYERS' BEHAVIOUR.

I REQUEST THAT IF I HAVE TO DEAL WITH PEOPLE THEN I WILL DEAL WITH THE PLAYERS CONCERNED AND THE CAPTAINS ONLY AS I DO NOT WANT 22 MEN GIVING ME THEIR OPINIONS AT THE SAME TIME.

IF A PARTICULAR PLAYER OR PLAYERS STAND OUT EARLY IN THE GAME THEN I WILL EITHER TALK TO THEM WHEN THE BALL GOES OUT OR GIVE A GENTLE REMINDER TO THEIR CAPTAIN WHILST THE GAME FLOWS ON.

IF A PLAYER DOESN'T CAN'T OR WON'T RESPECT MYSELF, MY ASSISTANTS OR THEIR OWN CAPTAIN THEN THEY REALLY ARE GOING TO HAVE TO TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR THEIR OWN ACTIONS.

IF, AFTER ALL THAT, YOU GET YOURSELF YELLOW CARDED THEN YOU NEED TO TAKE IT UP WITH YOUR OWN SECRETARY WHEN THE BILLS COME IN.

I TRY TO KEEP IT SIMPLE.

you cant ask for more than that well put ref :thumbsup:

RESPECT !!!

ARE YOU KIDDING ME ??

HAVING NOT SENT ANYONE OFF SINCE OCTOBER, I WAS SUBJECTED TO THE WORSE ABUSE I HAVE EVER FACED AT MY MATCH TODAY.

YELLOW CARDS, RED CARDS APLENTY AND MISCONDUCT-AFTER-THE-GAME REPORTS ALL OVER THE PLACE.

I THINK I WILL STILL BE WRITING ABOUT THIS ONE WELL INTO SUNDAY.

ONE TEAM THINKS I HAD A SHOCKER AND THE OTHER TEAM THINKS THAT THEY HAD JUST WITNESSED ONE OF THE HARDEST GAMES ANY REFEREE EVER HAD TO OFFICIATE.

When a defender and a striker go for the ball and it goes over the goal line. Unless its obvious, you get a defender shouting for a goal kick and a striker yelling for a corner. Thats the scenario I meant

Also 'Postie Pidge' "Stig if both players are going for the ball and it could go either way then the referee has to make his own mind up. It's not trying to deceive the ref its appealing for a ball that could be theirs"

If the referee has to make his own mind up, what's the point of the bloody appeal? Yes it is trying to deceive the referee as one of the appealers must be wrong and probably lying.

Or do you hope he's stupid enough to give it the way of the loudest shout?

All nonsense. we've had this discussion. Players appeal because it's become "habitual". It's dissent before the decision has even been made.

I think this new initiative refers to the constant whinging,moaning and appealing at the Referees that we see week in week out on the TVs from our so called `Pro players`

Justifiable calls like Centre Halfs calling for Offside,and 50/50s that Pidge refers to have got to be accepted,but confronting the Ref or their Assistants is what is hopefully getting removed from the game.

And hopefully common sense on behalf of the Officials and cooperation from the players is all that is required surely folks? ;0) :c:

Pidge,

we can already caution a player in a game if they blatently call for a ball that is not theirs, it's called attempting to decieve a referee.

Coopsie,

The post was 'why should players appeal?' are they taught to? things along that line.

Dermot,

I would hope that every player who getrs injured whether it be in Mining 3 or SWPL and who has the trainer on is made to leave the field of play, this is a mandatory requirement within teh laws of the game.

On a further note, how many of you realise that a player can not be treated on the field of play, teh physio can only come on to assess the injury, once assesed the player must leave the field of play for his treatment.

stig why then does a ref in the sw league or what ever its called,make me take the player off after treating them,but when i tryed totake a player off in the combo,ref said no we dont bother in this league. :unsure:

Hi Truro`s Mr Mourinho,and welcome back,as was mentioned in an earlier thread, asking an injured player to leave the field for treatment has been around for a while and should be applied at all levels,but for some reason a lot of Refs are not doing it and this is where the confusion arises.

Its to get the game restarted and stop players trying to waste time,hope this helps? ;0) :wacko:

Hi Truro`s Mr Mourinho,and welcome back,as was mentioned in an earlier thread, asking an injured player to leave the field for treatment has been around for a while and should be applied at all levels,but for some reason a lot of Refs are not doing it and this is where the confusion arises.

Its to get the game restarted and stop players trying to waste time,hope this helps? ;0) :wacko:

thanks dermot,i just thought that it might be differant in the combo,as they dont make me take them off,thanks,you and antia :clapper:

i do believe the game has lost respect for refs, players lose thier cool and gob off at refs but can we blame them for these under average refs we get sent to our games, old foggies? or youngster refs who think they already no it all, get good refs who we can respect

i do believe the game has lost respect for refs, players lose thier cool and gob off at refs but can we blame them for these under average refs we get sent to our games, old foggies? or youngster refs who think they already no it all, get good refs who we can respect

I think you might have just opened a whole new can of worms!!!

Why don't we also get some players that can play football, not these young ones that know it all or the older ones who may be a little unfit but still enjoy the game. Some refs do it because they enjoy it just like the players, so what if its a younger person who refs a game, everyone has to start somewhere, and if its a older person at least he would of been around a few years and prob played more football then you. Players lose thier cool and gob off because they think they are better then what they are and because they ain't they blame the ref. If you want good refs become a good player and move to a team at a higher level, i'm sure theres loads of prem teams waiting to sign you.

Rant over :P

Guest pafc 4 the prem

as a player i naturally get frustrated if an official gets a decision wrong, but you understand if its a tough call, wat annoys me is wen you try and talk to them and they shout at you to go away wen you have simply asked wat the decision was for. refs and there assistants do have tough jobs but you dont mind if they explain y they made the decisions. i dont think they should implement captains only to talk to refs i just think refs need to learn that they to can talk to players and that if players take there protests to far then book them, just show consistency please!!!

What a lovely, sweet idea.

We'll wave a magic wand and they'll appear magically, waving pink and mauve cards, "chariots of Fire" will be playing through mystical loud speakers and they'll all be experienced, knowledgeable referees from day1.

They'll be perfect, everyone will respect them and we'll all play happily ever after.

I'm sure that there's a flaw in the suggestion somewhere. I can't for the life of me see where.

(Hint; May be the magic wand bit, but not too sure about that.)

Ha haa! Well said oldasitgets. ;0)

It seems that yet another thread set up to give out a bit of information has turned into another tool to have a go at the Refs,too old,too young,too clever and most importantly not up to Mark Cs standard?

Yet another excuse to try and put a dent in the young Referees confidence.

Please let us know who you play for `Mark C` and `PAFC 4 the prem` so that the appointed Ref you get for your games can really try harder to earn your `RESPECT` eh?

And also that Mr Steed and Mr Wallace can assure that you dont get an `old foggie`or `under average Ref`or `young Ref who thinks he knows it all`this weekend.God knows we wouldnt want to upset you on a Saturday afternoon now would we eh fellas? ;0/ :c:

It goes without saying that just as their are good players and bad players, their are also good refs and bad refs.

The good refs are firm and fair and generaly pull their cards out when they are warrented, ie dangerous play, persistant foul play (twice should be enough in some cases) violant conduct and infringements in the penalty area which may deny goalscoring oppertunites.

The poor refs are the weak ones who are pulling cards out for the most trivial of offences and quite often spoil the match by dampening its competitive edge. These are usualy the same refs who pull cards out for such trivial matters as "appealing for a decision". Thankfuly these refs are very much in the minority which is just as well because they usualy spoil the match and cost both teams a lot of much needed club funds.

I wonder what these refs would have done following the Maradona hand of god goal. I would imagine England would have had to play the remainder of the match without goalkeeper and possibly half a dozen outfield players.

I think that the respect the referee initiative is a good idea. Although it would be useful for refs to remember that in life "respect is earned and not demanded", it is no different on a football pitch.

PS Hope the above doesn't make me next in line for the wrath of Derm :SM_carton_y: :SM_carton_y:

No problems with your post Derek,it was honest and to the point.

I agree with you,some good and some not so good,but we have that in all walks of life.

As a Ref all i want to do is let the 2 teams get on with the match with the minimum of fuss,best Refs are the ones you cant remember. ;0) :smiley20:

to reiterate on stigs comment ,just accept the ref desision,

we played st ives marriners on sat we won 5-0

i heard one of there player actually blame are ref who uses this site btw

if you ask me sam had a class game let play flow wasnt stupid with cards warned there players to stop abusing him and his desisions,over ruled there joke of a linesman who has no idea what inative means and denied us many chances in the game

sam is only 17-18 and since the beggining of the season has improved alot even getting good reports in the paper,refs like sam should be able to report clubs like st ives who were having ago from the off

its become a joke

sorry to be so moody :SM_carton: :c:

Guest pafc 4 the prem

stig:

i think refs on the whole do a fantastic job, sometimes we players make it very hard for them, im just saying that i dont feel there is good enough communication between players and refs.

also i dont believe that rooney or any pro is to blame, it is obviously the individual who has to look at himself but if you saw rooney get sent off 3 weeks in a row for gobbing off i think you would see local refs take a harsher stance on it as well, if i swore at a ref i would expect a red card

As a manager of a team in the SWPL Div 1 W I tell my players before every game not to have any dicussion with the ref, as they must get their shape and prepare to defend whatever is coming next. I also insist on them not jumping up when they are fouled to confront the offending player. I think we have had very few bookings for dissent and our red cards this season have been for fouls (Don't get me started on that!).

However, as the manager I have not always been able to contain my frustration at some things I've seen and have had to incur the wrath of the FA and have no problem with that.

However, I do feel like sometimes we need to be a bit more ruthless, some teams constantly shout at the refs without recrimination and tight decisions have gone their way.

I would welcome anything which prevents referee's from appearing as if they have crumbled from the weight of pressure applied to them from some players who think they can run the game by shouting the loudest.

I will add though that not once has this contributed to us losing a game and I can only point to one decision made that has potentially affected the outcome of a game.

I would love to see more ref's in good shape running the diagonals and giving themselves the best opportunity to make the best informed decisions they can, give a bit of banter where needed, and treat everyone with the same respect they would expect back (same for players and managers of course!).

I am also dismayed by the fact that we played in Plymouth a couple of weeks ago and all their local games were off due to the weather and we still could not get more than one official at our game, that for me is making a mockery of playing in this league.

So many people put in so much time, effort and money to improve facilities, get qualifications and generally raise the standards of the game in some way and yet we have this dismal situation where there are not enough refs.

Whatever encourages more people to get invovled in officiating is great by me!!!