Cornwall Football Forum

sportsmanship/perranporth afc

Guest striker

Guest striker

Are there many clubs out there senior,or junior,who have experienced the unsportsmanship behaviour of the club and players of Perranporth AFC,there players and managers and hangers on against Penzance on saturday was terrible,during the game,and also after when food was laid on ,and not 1 of their players or managment came in the club house.I find this behaviour a discrace,certainly to cornish football.Now that they are a senior club they should act like one.They seem to have a big chip on their shoulders ,players and club wise.Lets have a debate.

Over to Ronin, and I'm staying out of this one!

all I'll say, is that Perranporth FC are a very passionate football club. I've had some great battles with them, I'll never forget that day back in 2003/04 at our place. But all the players that day were good as gold afterwards with our celebrations!

Lets have a debate.

Let's not Striker. Who the hell do you think you are??! I personally find your comments utterly uncalled for and quite offensive. If you would like your points answered (to the best of my ability) please feel free to PM me otherwise go find someone else to annoy.

Guest striker

well answer the question then,thats the point,why not come in for a drink after,thats the second time youve gone without having a drink and food,and by all accounts we are not the only club you have treated like this.pre-madonnas

Striker.

Who are You. You probably know me as everyone does. I could guess.

Don't stir on the forum. I thought the game at our place Saturday was Ok, a bit heated due to Pz being passionate as we needed 3 points.

Were you at Perranporth earlier this season. Great game, good pint on the sidelines before and during the match. Nice chat to Anita.

There's enough trouble on the forum at times without making it worse delibrately.

Sorry if you fall out with me over this.

Guest striker

im not here to fall out with you,but im also allowed my say,but you still havent answered my views.if you dont want to then dont,there are plenty who will.its my opinion ,pz ,no matter whats the score conduct themself in a very good way after a game. i am a supporter and am allowed a view

OK if you insist.

Polite reason: It's over 25 miles from Penzance to Perranporth. Our players had just got soaking wet and freezing cold for 90 minutes and just wanted to get home.

Real reason: The attitude of your barman towards Anita before the game was totally out of order and ungentlemanly and none of our players felt like staying in case they told him what they thought of him. Anita does a great job for football in Cornwall (particularly for us at Perran). As most clubs do not have facilities for female referees and assistants to get changed she quite often uses the ladies toilet. Your man came over shouting at her that she should use the changing rooms and not the toilet and when she explained to him that the ref was in the changing rooms and that she usually uses the toilets to change he told her, quite rudely, that she should wait outside in the rain until the ref had finished. As Anita was about to spend 90 minutes standing in the rain that wasn't top of her list of places to be when all she wanted was a place to get changed in privacy.

You can call us unsportsmanly or prima donnas (unlike you I can spell) or whatever other names you like but one thing we do have in our club is respect for anyone and everyone (male or female) who give their time totally free of charge. I'm sorry if our not staying ruined your day but we won't have our staff abused or treated that way. I'm sure Anita will add her own comments to mine later today. Best of luck for the rest of the season and we look forward to playing you again soon.

Guest striker

I can only apologise on the behalf of pz afc for the barmans attitude,he is not employed by the club ,the mileage on the other hand is a joke.senior football on alot of occasions requires alot of travelling,and if you as a club cannot handle it and your players are cold its a poor effort,as i said im allowed a view and thats my on view,i will now leave it open for the rest of you to add your views,i tell it as i see it and your last visit to pz was no different,no show after the game,thank you for your time,your saying that nobody likes you says it all.me not personally .

1st off the last game Perran played against Pz at Pz a offical from perran said to someone from Pz before the game we wouldn't be going in for food as there was something going on that night, can't remember if it was a birthday or something but players and such wanted to get back as soon as afterward.

2nd I don't mind being asked if i could not use the ladies to change in, but the barperson needs to learn some people skills. Most clubs don't have a prob with me using the toliets, and if i had knowen that it was a problem i wouldn't of used them. :D

3rd it was p***ing it down and i didn't fancie standing in the rain waiting for the ref in clothes that i would then have to put back on after the match and which would prob still be wet.

If there was any form of ladies outside i could use i would (if there is can someone point them out to me next time please). I normaly always go back into the club houses after a game, and if i don't it might be because i have other stuff to do, outside of football (eeekkkkk i swore). Theres no way i would call Perranporth bad sportsmen, far from it, theres a lot worse out there. :drink: See you next time CTB, hopefully the weather will be better :lol:

I'm Sorry but I have to agree with Striker on this one , this seems to be a regular occurance with Perranporth as I have personally witnessed on a number of occasions both this season and last ! My answer would be when you go there don't spend your hard earned money in their clubhouse. This does not just relate to them not using Penzance's clubhouse but others as well. Junior team with a junior attitude, plus they gave the ref earache all game.

Clubman, name me one team that doesnt give the ref earache??? From under 12's up they all do it. And as i said in my last post (which was edited for this site) I know of plenty of teams that don't go in for drinks after. If you want to be so petty and childish as to tell other teams not to use the Perranporth club house then that seems to me as its you whos the bad sportsman not Perranporth. :angry:

Next........

I'm Sorry but I have to agree with Striker on this one , this seems to be a regular occurance with Perranporth as I have personally witnessed on a number of occasions both this season and last ! My answer would be when you go there don't spend your hard earned money in their clubhouse. This does not just relate to them not using Penzance's clubhouse but others as well. Junior team with a junior attitude, plus they gave the ref earache all game.

On which occasions have you "personally witnessed" this Clubman? I didn't realise you were such an avid follower of Perranporth AFC. If you are not a Perranporth follower then you can only have "witnessed" this when we played you at your club

I can only apologise on the behalf of pz afc for the barmans attitude,he is not employed by the club ,the mileage on the other hand is a joke.senior football on alot of occasions requires alot of travelling,and if you as a club cannot handle it and your players are cold its a poor effort,as i said im allowed a view and thats my on view

so people wanting to get home to their families etc isnt ok??

these just seems like a thread to provoke people.

when perranporth played us they had to get home due to a players birthday etc and told us that they weren't able to make it to the pub!!

striker do you play for anyone or just have an attitude against perranporth??

i do think thats a bit harsh on perran,lots of times some of the players my have something on in the evening,and would like to get off ,but that doesnt make them bad sportsmen,and there band of supporters drink as much as the whole team :drink::drink: :clapper:

Thanks for your support CTB, Local Boy & mrs p. I'm sure you're right Local Boy - it's just attitude against Perran (which we're used to). Can we put this to bed now and get down to the more serious business of football and whether Man Utd should beat Spurs or Reading in the next round of the FA Cup? :thumbsup:

The only time i have played in a fixture where Perran came to us the game was a little fiesty on the pitch and I believe we won the game in the last few minutes (was 2 years ago so forgive me if details are not fully accurate) and i believe every single one of their players came into the bar for a drink. When the circumstances may of left them gutted they still came in.

I like the way Perran are referred to as a "Junior"club when they dont go in the bar after a game because the after match social side of Junior football (with a few exceptions) generally tends to be better than Senior

I GENERALLY THINK THIS THREAD JUST ABOUT SUMS UP THIS SITE AT THE MOMENT.

IT IS BEING USED BY PEOPLE JUST TO HAVE A POP AT OTHER CLUBS OR INDIVIDUALS.

PLEASE THOSE IN CHARGE BAN THE PEOPLE WHOM ARE ABUSING IT. THE WHOLE THING IS BEING MADE TO LOOK SILLY.

IVE NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH ANYONE AT PERRAN. THEY PLAY HARD PLENTY OF BANTER AND HAVE ALWAYS HAD A FEW BEERS AFTER THE GAME. IN FACT I THINK THEY ARE ONE OF THE BETTER CLUBS IN THE COMBO FOR ATMOSPHERE......

WE AT HELSTON ALWAYS HAVE A BEER OR 10 WHENEVER POSSIBLE. ONE OF THE LAST FEW TO LEAVE FROM EITHER SIDE ON SATURDAY FROM TRURO......

Guest Peppermint

When Perranporth played Newquay in a pre season friendly they certainly supported the Clubhouse and stayed. There was plenty of friendly banter between rival supporters but that is football. The Judge dishes it out so can and should expect it back.

What is more worrying about this is that Anita was treated so badly and no one can condone this action. This lady works hard to further football and I know when she was involved at Newquay was a real asset to the Club and I am sure she is to Perranporth.

Knowing some of the people at Penzance Football Club I am sure they did not appreciate the Barman's crass stupidity but The Clubhouse is not under the Club's control.

Finally I have to agree with Ronin's statement Man. Utd. to beat Spurs or Reading in the next round!!!!

striker why are you so upset that the perran lads left straight away sometimes as players you just want to get home to your family going into a clubhouse has nothing to do with sportsmanship in my opinion that is shown on the pitch.

there is a saying "people in glass houses shouldnt throw stones"

do your players go into every teams clubhouse that you visit?????????

On behalf of Porthleven FC. I know this is our first season back in the combo so we have only had the pleasure of playing Perranporth just once & that was when they came to us early in the season for a evening fixture. We won the game 5-1 & i must say that their players, officials & supporters were a credit to their club. Great banter with Anita on the line ( she even admitted she was ball watching at one point :P ) & most of them came into the bar after the game, & that was half 9 & they still had to get back to Perran. :clapper:

We have played perranporth home and away the last couple of seasons in pre-season friendlies and have enjoyed the games very much. We have good hard but fair games where football as been the winner. We have also enjoyed there hospitality before and after the games.

What was the score of the game and was it good to watch, thats the most important thing besides the respect of all officials men, women boys or aliens.

Good luck for the rest of the season perranporth, hi to steve and rob.

Jollys Cornwall Combination League 2007-08

5th January 2008

2:30pm Penlee Park, Penzance

Penzance Reserves 0-1 Perranporth

Penzance Pay The Penalty

Penzance paid the price of missing their fourth penalty in a row when they lost 1-0 to a weakened Perranporth team at Penlee Park on Saturday. They have now missed their last four penalties in a row at Wendron, Mullion and Holman’s, with the miss against Perranporth the final one of the quartet. Altogether they have missed six this season.

The misses against Wendron and Perranporth could have earned the Magpies a point in each in their fight for Combination League survival. But once you’re down, luck seems to desert you.

This was the third meeting out of four between the teams with Perranporth winning previous encounters, 3-0 at Bodnick, and 3-1 at Penzance in the Preliminary Round of the League Cup. They have to meet again in Perranporth as they’ve been drawn together in the Preliminary Round of the Supplementary Cup.

Penzance came into this match having only won one of their last sixteen matches whilst Perranporth started the season well reaching third in the league but having settled back into twelfth place with one win in their last six matches.

Darren Payne, a former player/manager of the team is brought out of a two year retirement and Perry Bullock, former manager of Hayle is on the bench.

The match kicks off with a shower of heavy cold rain and for the first few minutes the game is fairly even but then Perranporth start to pressurise Penzance. They breakthrough but Damien Norman the Penzance Keeper rushes 30yds off his line to kick the ball away. Penzance then get a couple of shots on the Perranporth goal but they both fly wide.

After ten minutes the game becomes a more even affair. Penzance break down their right, Alfie Turner crosses and a shot by Darren Payne is blocked for a corner. The result corner is punched away under pressure.

Then Perran break down their left and Damien has to run out to cut the angle but the Perran player lobs the ball towards goal where Arquati out jumps two Pz defenders to nod in from an inch. It was going in anyway.

Perran break through the middle and a shot from 12yds is brilliantly finger tipped saved by Damien over the bar.

Pz then break and put in a low cross but Darren Payne sliding in just can’t stretch his leg any further and an open goal goes begging.

On 24mins Penzance get a corner on their right. A ball is floated over but is headed out as far as Sam Long roughly 25yds out, who blasts a volley back in. The ball beats the keeper but “Terry Ansell”, the son of the Perran manager makes a great one handed save to put it around the post. For this he is red-carded. Jay Liddicoat steps up to take the spot kick which he blast high over the bar. That is Pz fourth penalty miss in a row and their fourth penalty in the last five games.

Penzance now try to take advantage of their superior numbers. Danny Michael shoots but strait into the arms of the keeper. Penzance through balls are being cut out by the Perran defence.

Jay Liddicoat shoots from 40yds but well wide.

Perran starting to give away silly free kicks that are starting to niggle Pz players.

Half time

Half starts even but the tackles still come in. Arquati booked for a rough tackle followed by verbals to the ref.

Free kick to Perran goes through the crowded goal but doesn’t touch anyone.

Perran player booked for a tackle on Darren Payne. Darren holds player down then squares up to him and gets booked for that.

Perran tackling getting more desperate as Pz apply the pressure. Occasional breaks by Perran. Pz not managing to get through the tough Perran defence.

Damien Norman has to come out of his goal twice in a row to foil Perran breaks.

Pz get a corner on their right but the keeper manages to grab the ball as it comes over.

Pz get a free kick which is put into the Perran box. It comes out and Sam Long once again blasts one in. Their keeper makes a finger tip save and the ball skims the top of the bar for a corner. The ball comes in from the Pz left and the Perran keeper makes one of those instinctive one handed saves as he keeps out a back header from one of his own players who is on the six yard line. Finger tip save round the bar. Brilliant.

Perran work down their right come into the box, put the ball across the goal and it runs along the goal line but doesn’t go in.

Pz make a couple of substitution but are out of steam.

Pz continue to push and the game calms down as Perran realise they can cope with the Pz attack. The tackles stop.

Full time

PZ Team – Damien Norman (keeper), Mark Grenfell (Captain), Jack Liddicoat, Jay Liddicoat, Danny Michael, Sam Long, Alfie Turner, Matthew Fox, Darren Payne, Tony Riggal and someone called Gareth ?? (I emailed our keeper but he didn’t know his surname!)

Subs Zak Pod (for Payne), Perry Bullock (for Garath ???), Sean George for (Sam Long), Jimmy Liddicoat (not used)

Striker I was not at the game on Saturday due to being at Truro watching the Helston game, so cannot comment on the lack of players in the club house after the game. (by the way I thought Helston were the better team in the first half, Truro the second half) However, I did hear that the attitude shown towards Anita was very distasteful.

I do know that after our last game at Penzance I personally told club officials that we would not be coming to the clubhouse as we had to get back to Perranporth for a players birthday celebrations. As Local Boy said we inform the host team if we wont be attending after the game (incidentally 3 or 4 of us did go back to the St Ives pub - Nice sandwiches by the way) Striker, to suggest we at Perran are unsportsmanlike and have a bad attitude is utter tosh.

I personally find your comments impertinent and feel that maybe when making such comments you should make yourself known rather than hiding behind an alias. Saying that i'd imagine your a nobody and giving your real name wouldn't make much difference in any case. (No offence to Penzance, but if your a Striker you need to get some new boots Sonny Jim)

St Darren stops nicking our phrases, thats the best thing about Aggie !! You'll be singing our songs next...

To finish, all teams (players, management, supporters and hangers on ?) are always welcomed in the Perranporth clubhouse with open arms. Some teams even drop in for a drink after playing at Goonhavern, just about sums it up really...

Ronin, look forward to meeting you at some stage in the future!!

According to my fixtures that won't be until the end of March St Darren but I look forward to meeting (and beating?) you too :D You could always pop into our clubhouse for a pint on a Saturday afternoon - I believe our beer's cheaper than your :yahoo:

yeah Ronin, our beer is expensive I think, but because the clubhouse is hardly used they can't get it cheaper. I'd have stopped playing by March as well so I indeed will be watching that derby game and having a pint afterwards!!

Were you a follower of Perran back in 2004 or whenever it was we beat you in the Western Section semi final of Junior cup? When Thommo came on the pitch?

1. remember in the times of clamping down on drink driving not everyone wants to pop in for a soft drink

2. some people work shifts or nights so go straight home and to work or even straight to work after a game

And in cases of car sharing when the driver leaves you all leave.

I've been a follower of Perran since I moved to the village in 1991 although not always on the 'front line' so I was around in 2004 St Darren but wasn't at that game. I always look forward to the local derbys though. Hopefully I'll see you at the next one & we'll have that drink (I'll even let you pay! :thumbsup: )

Top bunch of blokes down at Perranporth. Always enjoyed it down there, be it playing for or against Perran! Don't understand how not coming into the bar has got anything to do with sportsmanship anyway....

Kappa, what happened to your goalkeeping career!? I had high hopes for that!

Guest The Judge aka RED OR DEAD

I can't comment on the players but Anita, whom I know well, gives them her support and that is good enough for me. As far as the fans are concerned, a great bunch of lads who really know how to get behind their team - much respect from a like minded soul.

And in cases of car sharing when the driver leaves you all leave.

I've been a follower of Perran since I moved to the village in 1991 although not always on the 'front line' so I was around in 2004 St Darren but wasn't at that game. I always look forward to the local derbys though. Hopefully I'll see you at the next one & we'll have that drink (I'll even let you pay! :thumbsup: )

I was there to witness Darren buying you a drink Anita - a very entertaining evening for many reasons! ! He does stand his round - I have some particularly fetching photos of him as a fairy at Christmas to show you Anita as well! Lovely legs! Actually Anita there a couple of suspect ones of you too - I can feel some drinks coming on! Gillsy also looked gorgeous in his tutu - I have evidence!

Happy Birthday Darren - see down The Peterville later.

Anita - you free Sunday? Depending on weather and pitches we are at home??

Happy New Year

woh woh woh woh

lets not turn this thread around, its about Perranporth! not me buying a drink!! :clapper::clapper:

yes, I remember Anita, you took pictures that Sunday evening, in fact, I actually nearly feel as bad today as I did the morning after that!! it sure was a good one.

There's pics on the Aggie website of the fairy's day. I seem to recall seeing Gillsy in them as well, so if I'm going down with the sinking ship, he's coming with me!!!

ps. on my birthday, Gillsy leaves the pub without saying goodbye at 9pm!!!!

On which occasions have you "personally witnessed" this Clubman? I didn't realise you were such an avid follower of Perranporth AFC. If you are not a Perranporth follower then you can only have "witnessed" this when we played you at your club

I was at Perranwell last season when not one of your players came into the bar after the game, got the impression that they didn't like losing and had a hissy fit because they also had a player sent off! Also I like to travel to various places to watch Combo football not just Penzance.

Tell you what Clubman let me know which Perran game you will be at next and not only will I make sure I come into the bar after the game but I will stand you a drink too. How's that? Sportsmanly enough for you? :D