Cornwall Football Forum

Falmouth Town v Truro City (Aubery Wilkes Memorial Trophy)

Thought this topic deserved its own thread as it seems to be drawing so much attention. Apologies to Penzance and St Austell for highjacking there topic on the SWPL site.

I think the game will be much closer this year mainly because Town have had a season playing playing together where as City are at the rebuilding stage. I do not usually do pre season friendlies but this one has some added spice. I shall be coming down early and will be bringing my fishing rod with me as I have noticed the Big Fish are biting already down the Penfal river. Be interested to hear others opinions.

52 minutes ago, Rayvon said:

Thought this topic deserved its own thread as it seems to be drawing so much attention. Apologies to Penzance and St Austell for highjacking there topic on the SWPL site.

I think the game will be much closer this year mainly because Town have had a season playing playing together where as City are at the rebuilding stage. I do not usually do pre season friendlies but this one has some added spice. I shall be coming down early and will be bringing my fishing rod with me as I have noticed the Big Fish are biting already down the Penfal river. Be interested to hear others opinions.

Pop into PAFC on the way back to Trura........there will be a tiddler behind the bar !!!!!

Town were terrific , truro had lots of possession but didn't create much ,town kept there shape well ,didn't panic and took their chance ! I'd be worried as a city fan , good midfield but that's about it and without sounding too harsh ,a good few city players could do with losing a few pounds ! 

Thought Lloyd Gardner from Buckland was the best player on the pitch. However this was followed by at least 3 Town players. Not sure who was missing (Tyler Harvey?) but Town were also missing two of their better players (Jordan Annear and Ollie Walker) Know it was just a friendly but have to say that there didn't look like four leagues difference between the sides.

As promised I said I would give my unbiased opinion. A much improved showing from Falmouth which was to be expected after last year's dismal performance, thought they played very well on a very hot day and a difficult pitch, we definitely need some rain. Can't comment on individual players as there was no programme and I did not know half the Truro players names let alone the Falmouth ones. Always a difficult pill to swallow loosing to the auld enemy but after a few pints of tribute which was spot on by the way things didn't look quite so bad. On this performance I would expect City to hold there own in the league and Falmouth to be up there challenging for promotion so good luck to both teams in the coming season. Great to see such a good crowd probably be there biggest for the season and great to catch up and chat with so many old friends. Looking forward to playing you in our new stadium in the not to distant future. Rayvon and gone.

Was this the last game on Cornish soil for City for some time?

Just reading the alarming news in todays Indy' that the developers want to make a start on Treyew Road for Lidl's

Plainmoor ,Torquay is set to become the home of the 'White Tigers' and as a sidline NO buisness plan has been put in place to Central government for their Top Up for the Stadium for cornwall funds.

4 minutes ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Torquay Tigers it is then. 

With all those new houses going up...... Lidl will want to be up and running. 

And no money from central government... surprise, surprise! 

What happened to the Malpas Nomads you were on about then? Did hear someone say that you had been at home painting in the morning and were thinking of staying at home and watching it dry. Suprised you wasted 3 quid of your massive council pension plus travelling expenses watching that crap as you suggested.

4 minutes ago, Rayvon said:

What happened to the Malpas Nomads you were on about then?:c:

That's a few years of relegation yet, and after that show yesterday, relegation will be year on year. 

Cannot believe that will be the Truro team for this season! 

14 minutes ago, Rayvon said:

What happened to the Malpas Nomads you were on about then? Did hear someone say that you had been at home painting in the morning and were thinking of staying at home and watching it dry. Suprised you wasted 3 quid of your massive council pension plus travelling expenses watching that crap as you suggested.

Yes, thank you for giving me such a generous pension(keep paying it) 

For large parts of that game..... paint dries faster. 

2 hours ago, Mike Odgers said:

Was this the last game on Cornish soil for City for some time?

Just reading the alarming news in todays Indy' that the developers want to make a start on Treyew Road for Lidl's

Plainmoor ,Torquay is set to become the home of the 'White Tigers' and as a sidline NO buisness plan has been put in place to Central government for their Top Up for the Stadium for cornwall funds.

Press release at 11am tomorrow according to Truro City's twitter account. "One almighty leap..." it says.

40 minutes ago, Rayvon said:

Don't believe all you read in newspapers non Truro City supporters think "Smoke and Mirrors"

Good to see you yesterday ray sorry i couldnt stop for a pint .think after yesterdays performance by us and the possibility of you playing your home games at Torquay will mean us picking up a few more wavering supporters . Smoke and mirrors or no smoke without fire ? Good luck for the season mate .hopefully you wont need it .?

2 hours ago, mattelot said:

Good to see you yesterday ray sorry i couldnt stop for a pint .think after yesterdays performance by us and the possibility of you playing your home games at Torquay will mean us picking up a few more wavering supporters . Smoke and mirrors or no smoke without fire ? Good luck for the season mate .hopefully you wont need it .?

Not sure about fans but the players left without going in the club yesterday...

11 hours ago, The Big Bad Fox said:

Ive been told the players dont go in the clubhouse after any away game. Which is disrespectful and rude.  Do Truro City actually have any Cornish born players in the team???

Completely wrong Big Bad Fox, the City players always come in to the clubhouse for there food and a chat to the supporters who have travelled from all over the country after away games as does Lee Hodges. Always respectful and happy to oblige. As for players coming from Cornwall Steve Massey did try keeping it local but they just ain't good enough for this level of football.

2 hours ago, Rayvon said:

Completely wrong Big Bad Fox, the City players always come in to the clubhouse for there food and a chat to the supporters who have travelled from all over the country after away games as does Lee Hodges. Always respectful and happy to oblige. As for players coming from Cornwall Steve Massey did try keeping it local but they just ain't good enough for this level of football.

I can well understand that - there is no player in the swpl that could play at your level.

Don't take any notice of someone who watches pub league football Big Al, anyone with the minimum of football knowledge would know that pre season friendlies are exactly what they are. Better get my fishing rod out again I suppose. :c:. Flying the Cornish Flag in Devon as well now. 

54 minutes ago, Rayvon said:

Don't take any notice of someone who watches pub league football Big Al, anyone with the minimum of football knowledge would know that pre season friendlies are exactly what they are. Better get my fishing rod out again I suppose. :c:. Flying the Cornish Flag in Devon as well now. 

Falmouth could well pick up a few of your supporters that arent willing to travel ray .everyone needs a football fix each week .

1 hour ago, Rayvon said:

Friendly or not - bragging rights prevail.

Enjoy your "home" fixtures.

14 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Friendly or not - bragging rights prevail.

Enjoy your "home" fixtures.

Unfortunately the players and many of the supporters would not know the meaning of the words bragging rights. As for home fixtures at least we now get the chance to play on a decent pitch for a change. Saturday's pitch was terrible.

18 minutes ago, Rayvon said:

Unfortunately the players and many of the supporters would not know the meaning of the words bragging rights. As for home fixtures at least we now get the chance to play on a decent pitch for a change. Saturday's pitch was terrible.

In what way was it terrible?

35 minutes ago, Rayvon said:

Thankfully we still do own the pitch though! (at least for the moment!!)

Rayvon: 

3 minutes ago, Mark Jones said:

The weather has not helped no rain and ground rock hard and bumpy! Do you know how much water on a metre costs and the amount needed to water a whole pitch ? I do find comments like that disrespectful to club volunteers like Derick the groundsman that puts so much time and effort into that pitch and does a great job. Believe me he has been praying for rain so his hands have been tied. Yes your have a nice lush pitch at Torquay but it’s not Truro’s pitch is it. 

1 hour ago, Rayvon said:

10 minutes ago, Mark Jones said:

Rayvon: 

10 minutes ago, Mark Jones said:

Rayvon: 

I looked after grass tennis courts for a number of years and lack of rain was a big problem. Despite this people would moan they were lacking grass and were too hard !

Even using a sprinkler made little difference as gallon after gallon of water is needed on each small area of coverage.

The good news is that grass will always recover, a weeks rain and all will be growing and green !

41 minutes ago, BIG AL said:

I looked after grass tennis courts for a number of years and lack of rain was a big problem. Despite this people would moan they were lacking grass and were too hard !

Even using a sprinkler made little difference as gallon after gallon of water is needed on each small area of coverage.

The good news is that grass will always recover, a weeks rain and all will be growing and green !

?????? fingers crossed 

1 hour ago, Mark Jones said:

Not meaning to be disrespectful at all Mark just telling as it is, I'm aware your groundsman does a splendid job as do all the other volunteers and if I have offended you in any way then I apologise. If you read my match report on this thread I did mention it was a difficult pitch to play on and we desperately needed some rain and yes I am completely aware of the price of water I did serve on the commitee at Truro City for 16 years so I do know a bit about running a football club as well, fortunately our ground happenrd to be next door to the fire station but that's another story. Anyway as I have already mentioned good luck for the coming season I hope you gain promotion and start climbing the pyramid ladder up where you belong.