Cornwall Football Forum

Penzance v St Austell

This friendly takes place this coming Friday evening, 730pm at Penlee Park, Penzance. Admission is just £2 for all adults, free for children. Come and see Penzance take on one of the top Premier teams in Cornwall. Thanks also to local guys Paul Kempen, Scott Mackenzie and Thomas Jacobson for officiating. 

22 minutes ago, Del Boy said:

When did it become the norm to charge for friendly games? £2 is not much in the grand scheme of things. I was always under the impression that local friendly matches were no admission charge. 

Perhaps that was the norm in years gone by but Clubs need every pound they can get. The hidden costs are ever increasing - rent, business rates, water, gas, electric, pitch renovation etc rise every year. Every little helps!

1 hour ago, Del Boy said:

When did it become the norm to charge for friendly games? £2 is not much in the grand scheme of things. I was always under the impression that local friendly matches were no admission charge. 

£2 is a bargain. 

Pay to watch a Chelsea friendly, £30. Link below.

Moan about Chelsea then or is it because local clubs are an easy target.

https://www.chelseafc.com/en/news/2018/6/18/lyon-game-ticket-news

4 hours ago, Del Boy said:

Friendlies cost clubs money to stage, the same as league matches do.......football is not free to a club staging the game.

18 minutes ago, Sticker Forever said:

Decent price to watch that fixture ? some good players on the pitch to watch for a couple of quid. More realistic than some prices being charged for a friendly this week. Well done Penzance 

Yes, good and fair price. I bet Falmouth against Truro will be a lot more than this !

3 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Yes..... a fair price to watch Falmouth.

For once I agree with you Older, just as well the game is being played at Bickland for the second year running. If it were to be played at Treyew Road I would expect to have to pay double to watch The Wembley Winners and the team that took Charlton Athletic all the way in the FA Cup last season. :c::thumbsup::c:

A bit of trivia for you Ray

Falmouth are the only Cornish club to score two goals in a F A Cup First Round Proper tie LOL

In fact losing 2-5 at Peterborough 1967 Richard Gray netted twice against the the then current Welsh International goal keeper (Tony Millington) and the story doing the rounds was that the  reigning World Champions England only scored one against him.

Not sure about seeing you on Saturday Ray as I understand there are major car parking problems at Bickland.

34 minutes ago, Rayvon said:

For once I agree with you Older, just as well the game is being played at Bickland for the second year running. If it were to be played at Treyew Road I would expect to have to pay double to watch The Wembley Winners and the team that took Charlton Athletic all the way in the FA Cup last season. :c::thumbsup::c:

Great minds as they say.

2 hours ago, BIG AL said:

Nothing fair about that .

I'll be watching our second team for a £1.......cheap enough even for you Al.

2 minutes ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Great minds as they say.

I'll be watching our second team for a £1 and against Falmouth seconds.......cheap enough even for you Al.

I WAS THERE IN 1967 WENT UP ON THE BUS SNOWED OFF GOT OFF THE BUS AND BOOKED IN SAME HOTEL AS FALMOUTH ONE MAN LOOKED AFTER US WELL MR GEORGE ROBERTSON WE TRAINED WITH FALMOUTH SUNDAY MORNING IN A PARK    

I CAN NOT REMEMBER THE WELSH INTERNATIONAL NAME BUT I PLAYED DARTS WITH HIM MONDAY EVENING IN  CLUBROOM AT PETERBOROUGH

3 minutes ago, skinner said:

I WAS THERE IN 1967 WENT UP ON THE BUS SNOWED OFF GOT OFF THE BUS AND BOOKED IN SAME HOTEL AS FALMOUTH ONE MAN LOOKED AFTER US WELL MR GEORGE ROBERTSON WE TRAINED WITH FALMOUTH SUNDAY MORNING IN A PARK    

I CAN NOT REMEMBER THE WELSH INTERNATIONAL NAME BUT I PLAYED DARTS WITH HIM MONDAY EVENING IN  CLUBROOM AT PETERBOROUGH

Tony Millington was his name Peter-thats a great story

40 minutes ago, Mike Odgers said:

A bit of trivia for you Ray

Falmouth are the only Cornish club to score two goals in a F A Cup First Round Proper tie LOL

In fact losing 2-5 at Peterborough 1967 Richard Gray netted twice against the the then current Welsh International goal keeper (Tony Millington) and the story doing the rounds was that the  reigning World Champions England only scored one against him.

Not sure about seeing you on Saturday Ray as I understand there are major car parking problems at Bickland.

Bickland Park is a shambles. The main entrance is all fenced off and contains tons of building materials.and the car park ha sportable sales buildings on it and there are severe restrictions on the road. I would imagine the access is by helicopter !

1 hour ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

The ground is at the top of the hill, and the grass is growing.

Nothing else started there yet though, my spies tell me that Bickland has not been sold yet.

Yes I have been told exactly the same.

1 hour ago, Dave Deacon said:

New manager in the latest CORNISH SOCCER Mag suggested target was to finish in top four or five.

If you look at recent history - 3 seasons ago Mousehole absolutely walked the West league, a large batch of their players left the following season and went to (back to) Penzance and now they have been joined at Penzance by most of the remaining members of that league winning squad. They no longer have Argyle Reserves or Sticker to worry about, who were about then - Millbrook and Elburton Villa have gone up and by all accounts (from other posts on the forum) - Mousehole have no squad left , Ludgvan have lost a couple of players, Porthleven didn't look great in last preseason, Wadebridge are possibly loosing their striker for a big money move, Liskeards young striker is being looked at outside of the county

- basically looks like Penzance's season lol (if only it were so easy)

1 hour ago, Bobjfh said:

If you look at recent history - 3 seasons ago Mousehole absolutely walked the West league, a large batch of their players left the following season and went to (back to) Penzance and now they have been joined at Penzance by most of the remaining members of that league winning squad. They no longer have Argyle Reserves or Sticker to worry about, who were about then - Millbrook and Elburton Villa have gone up and by all accounts (from other posts on the forum) - Mousehole have no squad left , Ludgvan have lost a couple of players, Porthleven didn't look great in last preseason, Wadebridge are possibly loosing their striker for a big money move, Liskeards young striker is being looked at outside of the county

It does look a weaker league this year but its always full of surprises. 

Heard ludgvan have a manager in line...got his work cut out tho.

3 hours ago, Bobjfh said:

is that the same non-existent Mousehole squad who beat Huddlesfield U18s in their cup?

20 hours ago, SCFC said:

is that the same non-existent Mousehole squad who beat Huddlesfield U18s in their cup?

You’re right - not a bad result considering their exodus of players. (Huddersfield academy get around a bit mind you as their Academy first team side were playing Hemel Hempstead in a cup final on the same Saturday in Yorkshire)

40 minutes ago, Bobjfh said:

You’re right - not a bad result considering their exodus of players. (Huddersfield academy get around a bit mind you as their Academy first team side were playing Hemel Hempstead in a cup final on the same Saturday in Yorkshire)

got to admit Bob, i thought theyd got no team either until i heard theyve been using their contacts and have players from all over the place