Cornwall Football Forum

Newquay get the ball rolling....

With a misunderstanding regarding the advertised kick off time in certain media , 1.0clock not 3.00, it was still a good but perhaps a smaller crowd at Newquay than anticipated as Newquay got their 2018/19 preseason preparation underway with a friendly against St Merryn.

Back in training for the last two weeks a large Newquay squad returned to football on a baking hot day that had most supporters seeking to watch from the shade of the stands.

The leaving of Danny Ohagan for Bodmin appeared to leave a hole at centre back but you could be forgiven for not noticing he'd gone. Newquay youngster and former Plymouth Argyle trainee Harry Downing slotted in and was calmness personified alongside the experienced Tom  Whipp. (Supporters player of the season 2017/18) . Harry is a ball player, but a defender first and looked to play simple football rather than humping it. Refreshing. Youth was a feature of the days Newquay squad with the new faces in Harry Downing 18, Jake Flamank 17 who scored a cooly lobbed over the keeper goal on his debut, Sonny Dover ( 18) who played wide first half and moved to 10 in the second. Add to that last seasons Zac Roberts goalkeeper18, (young player of the season 2017/18) Max Everard centre mid 18 (most improved player of season 2017/18) and Cam Turner holding mid 18 or 19, (managers player of the season 2017/18) . With Hayden Turner back from university and the returning Alex Cole there were faces new and old for supporters to watch, admire and enjoy. St Merryn were a good first training pre season friendly choice and put up a good stubborn defensive test for Newquay with Nathan Prentice kept busy in the St Merryn goal.

Moving the ball and retaining possession quite well it took almost twenty minutes before the  breakthrough came when Max Everard split the St Merryn defence with a through ball for Jack Bray Evans (top goal score 2017/18) to run onto and shoot past Prentice. 

Jake Flamank added a second with his clever lobbed goal and Louis Price, Cam Turnerx2, Alex Cole  and Hayden Turner all got amongst the goals.

The pick of the goals was a Cam Turner free kick which flew over  the St Merryn wall and past Nathan Prentice who had no chance at all,  leaving Turner to start his pre season where he finished off against Hashtag Utd with what was also a thunderous strike on target.(see Newquay v Hashtag Utd on YouTube where there were 630 paying spectators on the same day as the Cornwall  senior cup final ...the power of the internet I guess.)

A 7-0 final score line, with three goals  in the last ten minutes as tiredness and fitness kicked in was in favour of the Mints but deserved credit to a determined and hard working St Merryn team who never stopped working for each other and making Newquay work for everything.

Ever so early friendly but good to get to watch live football once again at Mount Wise. Tougher tests to follow of course, but we all start somewhere.

And  if that was not enough for football starved supporters(?) a Newquay select team played a friendly an hour or so later against Newquay RBL. A charity game to raise money for the Poppy Appeal it was again a very well attended game, played in a great spirit. Well done to Newquay AFC for supporting our armed forces, past and present,  and for helping raise money for such a worthy cause.

Next Saturday Newquay play away friendly at near neighbours Perranporth.

1 hour ago, Dave Deacon said:

Always used to be the case you couldn’t play in June! 

Yes,The CCFA were a strict regime in those days (1970'80')

Absolutely No playing in the 'Close Season'- No mixed friendly games-All pre season and official Charity games had to be sanctioned.-I would say affiliation and insurance issues played a part.

I think the CCFA put a stop to an organised Beach Football tournament at Newquay.

It always was a great afternoon's entertainment to attend the CCFA AGM.

In the Falmouth Western League era the players were forced to register as contract players as any selected for Cornwall would mean any Falmouth league games would be suspended if the players       preferred to play for their club before County.

2 hours ago, Mike Odgers said:

Yes,The CCFA were a strict regime in those days (1970'80')

Absolutely No playing in the 'Close Season'- No mixed friendly games-All pre season and official Charity games had to be sanctioned.-I would say affiliation and insurance issues played a part.

I think the CCFA put a stop to an organised Beach Football tournament at Newquay.

It always was a great afternoon's entertainment to attend the CCFA AGM.

In the Falmouth Western League era the players were forced to register as contract players as any selected for Cornwall would mean any Falmouth league games would be suspended if the players       preferred to play for their club before County.

The CCFA were definetely more authoritarian in those days. Remember rules about no Senior Cup games being played under floodlights, and also that all Senior Cup ties had to be played on Saturdays with no midweek games being allowed (for the reason mentioned earlier). Caused major fixture problems for clubs, especially if it was a wet winter. Again,memory might be playing tricks on me, but didn't all players playing in the Senior Cup have to be signed on for that the specific competition, and not merely as a registered player for the club? Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I think Liskeard may have fallen foul of this in the eighties. Seem to remember them having to forfeit a game because Kelvin Howe wasn't registered correctly.

There were certainly separate registration forms for Senior and Junior Cups; Charity Cup was covered by Senior Cup forms but you could also register players in Charity Cup who were transferred in after playing for a different club in Senior Cup! Ah - the good old days of John Rider's rigid regime.

12 hours ago, Brianmooreshead said:

" Rigid " doesn't come close

He was intent on making Cornish football his personal fiefdom 

12 hours ago, Brianmooreshead said:

" Rigid " doesn't come close

He was intent on making Cornish football his personal fiefdom 

Not much better now as far as the cornwall fa is concerned !

I had a few football altercations with M.Ryder but come end up I got to like him with  his strict application of the F A Rule book.

I once visited his place in Truro and over a cup of coffee he showed me around his office and his daily workings of the CCFA.

He was the Cornwall representative at F A headquarters  the then Lancaster Gate in London and could always be seen on F A Cup Final day and any Internationals in his prime seat at Wembley on the TV