Cornwall Football Forum

Great move for Cody Dave! The ground only 8 miles from the bro and sis in laws so will pop over and watch him next season. Tom Owen-Evans signed for Falkirk as well, half hour up the road. Both lovely little new stadiums, hope the lads do well, no more than Cody deserves after his performances last season. Watched a lot of Scottish football and I reckon he will do really well. Tom next maybe!? ?

Haha ? Celtic would be the only team who could hold their own in the Premier league Dave. Think they would get quite a few points at home. Would say the top half of the Premier league would compare to the Championship. Aberdeen, Hibernian, Hearts and possibly Motherwell on their day. The bottom half of the Prem more like league 1. Would say the likes of Dundee, Accies, Kilmarnock be on a par with Argyle. The Championship with the likes of Dundee Utd, Partick Thistle, Falkirk etc is more bottom end League 1/ League 2 standard. League 1 and 2 would be non league in England as its semi pro. Know the chairmen at Albion Rovers and Stirling Albion and the players are on £200-300 a week in those leagues Dave. Would say the tempo up there is faster and more physical in general but not quite as technical as England. Seen some cracking games up there over the years though mate ?

12 minutes ago, RAPPO said:

Haha ? Celtic would be the only team who could hold their own in the Premier league Dave. Think they would get quite a few points at home. Would say the top half of the Premier league would compare to the Championship. Aberdeen, Hibernian, Hearts and possibly Motherwell on their day. The bottom half of the Prem more like league 1. Would say the likes of Dundee, Accies, Kilmarnock be on a par with Argyle. The Championship with the likes of Dundee Utd, Partick Thistle, Falkirk etc is more bottom end League 1/ League 2 standard. League 1 and 2 would be non league in England as its semi pro. Know the chairmen at Albion Rovers and Stirling Albion and the players are on £200-300 a week in those leagues Dave. Would say the tempo up there is faster and more physical in general but not quite as technical as England. Seen some cracking games up there over the years though mate ?

They would earn more playing for some of the teams in Cornwall ....bonkers ..lol

14 minutes ago, RAPPO said:

Not a chance could Celtic hold their own in the Premier League over a 38 game season. Great atmosphere, yes, especially in European games and old firm derbies but they would certainly struggle in the Premier League due to a severe lack of quality players required for that standard.

Good luck to Cody Cooke, well done to him for seizing the opportunity and going for it. Better to give it a go and fail, than not try and spend the rest of his life thinking "what if?" After all, who can honestly say they wouldn't want to be a professional footballer?

I know it's a long shot, but players do break into the pro ranks (and even international sides) after coming through the non-leagues. Think of Nigel Martyn, Jamie Vardy, Ian Wright and Chris Waddle.

1 hour ago, Way Of The Park said:

Good luck to Cody Cooke, well done to him for seizing the opportunity and going for it. Better to give it a go and fail, than not try and spend the rest of his life thinking "what if?" After all, who can honestly say they wouldn't want to be a professional footballer?

I know it's a long shot, but players do break into the pro ranks (and even international sides) after coming through the non-leagues. Think of Nigel Martyn, Jamie Vardy, Ian Wright and Chris Waddle.

I wouldn't want to be a professional footballer. 

I like where I live, and like my life style. 

Retired, and walking my dogs... Lol

Never seen a 66 year old pro!! 

Good luck to Cody Cooke,deserved his chance to get a pro contract.

Could well be right about Tom McHale,if rumours have any truth in them.

Its great these players getting their dream moves,but where do this leave poor TCFC.

Hardly any of last season's squad have signed,yet,and we have lost,River Allen,Yetti,Aaron Lamont,Rocky Neal,Cody Cooke,Tom Owen Evans.

Only  two have signed for this season,Nial Thompson and Austen Booth,neither were regular starters last season,and the new signings are from lower Leagues,and have yet to prove themselves at Truro's level.

Not a great situation with pre-season about 2 weeks away.

5 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Wayne Rooney has seen one lol 

21 hours ago, Zac said:

Not a chance could Celtic hold their own in the Premier League over a 38 game season. Great atmosphere, yes, especially in European games and old firm derbies but they would certainly struggle in the Premier League due to a severe lack of quality players required for that standard.

Yeah they would no problem. They drew at home to Man.City at Parkhead last season in the Champions league, didn’t see too many English teams doing that last season? Not saying they would compete at the top end of the table but they would get the 40 points needed to stay up over a 38 game season. Would say they are a better side than the likes of Huddersfield and Brighton who stayed up last season, been watching Celtic for about 15 years and quite a bit of Premiership football in that time, they would stay up no problem

Think Rooney has seen a few in his time Stevie!!! ??

On 21/06/2018 at 23:41, Zac said:

Good atmosphere in Europe maybe but also pretty useless in Europe!

17 hours ago, somersetspur said:

Its great these players getting their dream moves,but where do this leave poor TCFC.

Hardly any of last season's squad have signed,yet,and we have lost,River Allen,Yetti,Aaron Lamont,Rocky Neal,Cody Cooke,Tom Owen Evans.

Only  two have signed for this season,Nial Thompson and Austen Booth,neither were regular starters last season,and the new signings are from lower Leagues,and have yet to prove themselves at Truro's level.

Usual old story, isn't it?

On 21/06/2018 at 23:41, Zac said:

But if they were in the Premier League, they would be getting Premier League money from the TV deals. not the derisory amounts they get now from SPFL TV deals which would mean they could invest in higher quality players. I'm sure they could complete with the likes of Everton, Leicester, West Ham etc.

On 22 June 2018 at 19:38, somersetspur said:

I seem to remember you making a similar 'doom and gloom' post before the start of last season! How did that go?

4 hours ago, Goldeneye said:

I seem to remember you making a similar 'doom and gloom' post before the start of last season! How did that go?

Its not doom and gloom.Its FACTS.

You tell me where I tell a lie.Its all true.

We havent enough players signed on ,to enter a five a side tournament.

Do a bit of research,and see what other clubs are doing in Truro's League. 

What should have happened was as soon as last season ended,the club should have done everything possible to keep that squad together,but you get all the same rubbish and excuses,as when Truro,cant be bother to give top players extended contracts,and then recieve some sort of transfer fee.

Isaac Vassell and Cody Cooke are two players,that would have fetched a nice little nest egg for the club,but no,the Club are hell bent on this one season and short term loan,attitude.

Im sure there will be a couple more,leaving for pro contracts,from last season.

Playing devils advocate a bit, but do you think it would be a good long term thing for Truro if they have players moving from them into the pro ranks? Could make it an attractive destination for quality young players who, for various reasons, have dropped out of bigger clubs and are looking to get a career going again.

On 22/06/2018 at 14:06, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

The professional games loss.

On 21/06/2018 at 23:17, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Signed for Truro from Penryn....lol -  we teach them well down here .

He's always popping in to see his old muckers.....nice fella.

• Long way to pop home to see his old muckers now Older, still I suppose you had a clause in his contract for a percentage if he made it as a professional. I did hear that Penryn were playing St Mirren in a pre season friendly. Whoops sorry it was St Merryn. :smiley20:

5 hours ago, somersetspur said:

Its not doom and gloom.Its FACTS.

You tell me where I tell a lie.Its all true.

We havent enough players signed on ,to enter a five a side tournament.

Do a bit of research,and see what other clubs are doing in Truro's League. 

What should have happened was as soon as last season ended,the club should have done everything possible to keep that squad together,but you get all the same rubbish and excuses,as when Truro,cant be bother to give top players extended contracts,and then recieve some sort of transfer fee.

Isaac Vassell and Cody Cooke are two players,that would have fetched a nice little nest egg for the club,but no,the Club are hell bent on this one season and short term loan,attitude.

Im sure there will be a couple more,leaving for pro contracts,from last season.

You got it sooooooo.... wrong last season, so why should it be any different for the coming season? :SM_carton:

1 hour ago, Goldeneye said:

You got it sooooooo.... wrong last season, so why should it be any different for the coming season? :SM_carton:

Yep,I said a mid table finish,and they would avoid relegation,last season.

Do believe TCFC finished 7th,in a league of 22,and if was'nt for a rule change,TCFC would'nt have made the play-offs.

Season before I said,they would be in a relegation scrap.

Oh so wrong.

Early days for this season,prediction,but the way things are at the moment,it will bottom half of the table,and another possible relegation battle.

So easy to criticise people 's predictions in June.

3 hours ago, Rayvon said:
  • Long way to pop home to see his old muckers now Older, still I suppose you had a clause in his contract for a percentage if he made it as a professional. I did hear that Penryn were playing St Mirren in a pre season friendly. Whoops sorry it was St Merryn. :smiley20:

Well his mum and dad live just up the road from Kernick, so expect when he comes "home" we'll still see him occasionally.

Percentage ?? Nah, we don't pay anyone, never have........that's how we still have a "home"

9 hours ago, Keith B said:

Talking of stadiums RAPPO - I too have visited a number of them in Scotland. Very impressed. Even the lower leagues - I went to Annan Atheletic last season and saw them play Cowdenbeath. Great stadium at Annan, a long seated stand down one side of the pitch, good toilet and refreshment facilities. Well done Annan, they've spent the money and got a nice ground and the public are comfortable and well looked after. 

Yeah been to Annan Keith, tidy little ground ain’t it mate. All decked out in black and yellow reminded me of Bickland Park!! ? I’ve only got 6 more league grounds to do up there now Keith! I’ll have to start on the Highland and Lowland leagues after that! Seen some great games up there over the years mate!! ?

On 22/06/2018 at 21:30, RAPPO said:

Yeah they would no problem. They drew at home to Man.City at Parkhead last season in the Champions league, didn’t see too many English teams doing that last season? Not saying they would compete at the top end of the table but they would get the 40 points needed to stay up over a 38 game season. Would say they are a better side than the likes of Huddersfield and Brighton who stayed up last season, been watching Celtic for about 15 years and quite a bit of Premiership football in that time, they would stay up no problem

Think Rooney has seen a few in his time Stevie!!! ??

The City game was one game. You could also look at the PSG game where they were ripped apart and I think it finished 5-0 at home. I'd say player for player Huddersfield and Brighton are probably stronger. Lossl, Gross, Mounie, Kongolo, Mooy just to name a few from Huddersfield that would walk into Celtic's team and they only survived by the skin of their teeth. You could question whether that qualifies as 'holding their own'. Celtic would also have to completely change their style of play to pick up points as they wouldn't be the favourites or dominant possession wise in too many games, which would be another challenge for them. 

On 23/06/2018 at 19:21, Richard Rundle said:

But if they were in the Premier League, they would be getting Premier League money from the TV deals. not the derisory amounts they get now from SPFL TV deals which would mean they could invest in higher quality players. I'm sure they could complete with the likes of Everton, Leicester, West Ham etc.

Of course if Celtic had the Premier League TV money they would have a good chance of doing well. Many teams have proved in the past that it isn't that easy but I think we were meaning Celtic as they are currently. 

Still think currently they would stay up. Won’t be swayed on that! They would pick pick up enough points at home over a season along with the odd away win. You say “one game” but I’ve watched them beat Man Utd 1-0, Barcelona 2-1, and an AC Milan team 2-1 with Seedorf, Kaka, and Pirlo in midfield and Shevchenko and Inzhagi up front in their prime over the last ten years alone. Saw the PSG game as well to be fair and they were outclassed but they did beat Barca 4-0 in the knockout rounds as well so no disgrace in that against a team that can spend over 300 million on 2 players!! Celtic have just sold a player to Southampton for 6 mill and he couldn’t get in the side last season! They’ve also got one of the best scouting systems in Europe. They would finish between 10th - 15th in the Premier league. Case closed ?

15 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Well his mum and dad live just up the road from Kernick, so expect when he comes "home" we'll still see him occasionally.

Percentage ?? Nah, we don't pay anyone, never have........that's how we still have a "home"

That's why you play in a pub league Older, Truro City been there done it and got 2 million in the bank gathering interest till we move into our new state of the art stadium. Oh and in case you had forgot still playing at Treyew Road for at least another season.:c:

2 hours ago, Rayvon said:

That's why you play in a pub league Older, Truro City been there done it and got 2 million in the bank gathering interest till we move into our new state of the art stadium. Oh and in case you had forgot still playing at Treyew Road for at least another season.:c:

2 million in the bank but half the team have moved on . so not much money in that 2mil  for a  player budget then ? 

9 hours ago, Rayvon said:

£2 million, we turned down £9 million for our ground 6 years ago.....lol, we didn't sell because we like pub football.

And you can do nothing but wait to see if the S4C is going to be built, so the money may well sit there for a long time as you cannot spend it!!!!

If the day comes and the stadium is not built, you will need every penny, plus the interest to pay the rent down Malpas, that of course is if it's even TCFC money in the first place.

And I very much doubt that it is Truro's money....no stadium - money gone.

It does seem very quiet at TCFC ,since the news and vote in favour of S4C.

Little news of any sort of squad coming together,just a couple of lower League signings.

Top players ,leaving.

No news on the new investors ,that were meant,or could, be in place by the start of the season.

What sort of playing budget is available,and what sort of targets are being set for the new season.

Suppose  people are busy filling their pubs with World Cup punters,instead of worrying about Truro City.

Have they got the £3 million top up from Central Government yet?-Parliament are on their Summer Holidays in  four weeks.  Has the business plan been submitted/accepted.?

It was planned that the first spade would be in the ground in July but does the road network and access be in place also?

Can a Stadium of this scale be constructed in  twelve months?

10 hours ago, RAPPO said:

Still think currently they would stay up. Won’t be swayed on that! They would pick pick up enough points at home over a season along with the odd away win. You say “one game” but I’ve watched them beat Man Utd 1-0, Barcelona 2-1, and an AC Milan team 2-1 with Seedorf, Kaka, and Pirlo in midfield and Shevchenko and Inzhagi up front in their prime over the last ten years alone. Saw the PSG game as well to be fair and they were outclassed but they did beat Barca 4-0 in the knockout rounds as well so no disgrace in that against a team that can spend over 300 million on 2 players!! Celtic have just sold a player to Southampton for 6 mill and he couldn’t get in the side last season! They’ve also got one of the best scouting systems in Europe. They would finish between 10th - 15th in the Premier league. Case closed ?

We'll have to agree to disagree

On ‎25‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 12:30, Rayvon said:

There is no £2m in the bank I'm afraid.  There is £2m in trust with the Council to go towards S4C or alternative permanent relocation site.  If you are referring to the £2m+ that Helical 'gifted' TCFC then I think you'll find that has mostly gone on repaying the owners their directors loans.  The club is debt free but cash flow negative.  Any news on how the club takeover/investment is going or did Due Diligence expose some nasty skeletons?

On Treyew Road, Masters recently said on Radio Cornwall that if Helical "go final" on the development deal by October, then TCFC could yet be off to Torquay mid-season.  Not that I believe him.  I think he likes to taunt fans with the Torquay thing. 

22 hours ago, Rayvon said:

Every county in the UK has already got a stadium, keep up Older, your remote seems to be stuck in repeat mode again, seem to remember you having the same trouble last season.:thumbsup:

Has Devon got a County Stadium?  If yes, then where is it, and is it available for colleges, youth football county finals etc?