Cornwall Football Forum

LAKESIDE ATHLETIC PULL OUT OF ECPL ?

4 hours ago, teflon123 said:

Probably re-form in P&D 3 and win that.

Their Twitter account confirms a return to P&D; shame, as I was very impressed with them in pre-season when we played them. Hopefully they’ll clarify their reasons, wonder if the level of travelling was an issue? I have grave concerns for the future of this level of football between Duchy and the new county-wide step 7 league. 

Apparently the Devon clubs in the ECPL were in a difficult situation-not knowing where they would be in the new re-orginsation.It didn't help when it was

suggested that CCFA wouldn't accommodate them in the new Cornwall Step 7.I agree entirely with Matt P the future is very shaky: no-one has any idea what will happen

and even more worrying who is going to run the thing.

This may seem controversial; but the only possible way  forward might be a Combo/Trelawney and EC/Duchy amalgamation.Another  spanner in the works is the future

of the Duchy League now that Mr.Newcombe has resigned as Secretary-brought on,I understand, by anonymous abusers on this Forum .Who the Hell is going to take on that challenge ?

To quote the Johnny Nash song : "There are more questions than answers"

1 hour ago, Adlestrop said:

Apparently the Devon clubs in the ECPL were in a difficult situation-not knowing where they would be in the new re-orginsation.It didn't help when it was

suggested that CCFA wouldn't accommodate them in the new Cornwall Step 7.I agree entirely with Matt P the future is very shaky: no-one has any idea what will happen

and even more worrying who is going to run the thing.

This may seem controversial; but the only possible way  forward might be a Combo/Trelawney and EC/Duchy amalgamation.Another  spanner in the works is the future

of the Duchy League now that Mr.Newcombe has resigned as Secretary-brought on,I understand, by anonymous abusers on this Forum .Who the Hell is going to take on that challenge ?

To quote the Johnny Nash song : "There are more questions than answers"

And some less anonymous! 

Dont think an ECPL/ Duchy/ Combo/ Trelawny merger is a good idea. Can think of nothing worse that lets say a Liskeard v Penwith trip for example, or worse. Keep it split otherwise you will lose clubs from leagues due to travel costs and time, merge local leagues into less leagues with more teams in them.

People will travel around the county if the clubs help travel costs etc but thats normally SWPL not lower leagues

9 minutes ago, Cornishfootball said:

Dont think an ECPL/ Duchy/ Combo/ Trelawny merger is a good idea. Can think of nothing worse that lets say a Liskeard v Penwith trip for example, or worse. Keep it split otherwise you will lose clubs from leagues due to travel costs and time, merge local leagues into less leagues with more teams in them.

People will travel around the county if the clubs help travel costs etc but thats normally SWPL not lower leagues

Suspect they meant a Duchy and ECPL merger and a Trelawny and Combo merger as opposed to a merger of all four. You are right though; the more travel is involved the less the commitment that will be received from smaller clubs and their players. Longer Saturdays will mean fewer teams

i think maybe after the step 7 changes come in after next season that the ECPL could become 1 league with say 18 to 20 teams and the Duchy leagues will get squeezed again. I know they got rid of the lowest league a couple years ago but may have to again at this rate. The only issue with a large league is clubs almost deffinitely wont have flood lights at majority of ECPL and Duchy so fitting the games in would need the weather to be kind and for 2 matches per week for longer periods than normal

It is a shame but it cant be easy retaining players in some areas 

In future, after the step 7 reorganisation, I don't think the FA or CCFA will sanction leagues of more than 16 teams unless they are fully floodlit.

A merger of the Combo/Trelawny in the west and ECLP/Duchy in the east would seem to be a good way forward and the ideal structure for Cornish football. I know some long-standing members of each league will take a great deal of convincing that this is the right path to take but I believe it is inevitable - given the difficulties of replacing the ageing volunteers who currently manage the leagues. No offence intended and, at 70 myself, I'm certainly not "ageist"!

We emailed the league thanking them for allowing us to play in the league. Great honour winning the SWAZ cup and representing the league. Committee have been superb in particular Mike Murray who has been one the best individuals I have met in football (I’m sure many will agree).

In terms why we have left, we wasn’t guaranteed promotion and that was problematic with the first team on paper becoming the second team behind P and D as we entered team in Premier Divison for next season. We could not wait till the vote at the AGM so we had to make the decision to go back P and D and play Premier division. The club want to also try and progress through the levels again that swayed our decision as on paper we are moving up a step closer as well. The rumour of dropping divisions is absurd, anyone who has played against our team I’m sure will agree we are a competitive young side trying to go as high as we can.

I’d like to thank the hospitality of clubs we’ve visited this and officials this season they been good on the whole. Met some good people like Dave Witts from St Minver who I’m sure I’ll keep in touch with. Maybe the club will be represented in the league in the future, but I wish you all the very best and see you many of you at AGM.

Many Thanks,

Brad Gargett

The season after next will be interesting. With the new set up, how many cornish clubs will still be around, old clubs reforming, decisions being made where clubs will be playing. More importantly the financial costs will play a big role

15 minutes ago, MattP said:

Sad to see Pensilva go, but take my hat off to them for managing to finish the season after such a struggle 

I agree 

The danger is that ECPL could vanish. For me, many clubs will either slip back to Duchy Premier level or take the plunge at Step 7. I see a lot of casualties after the first season where travel costs kick in for a county-wide league.

19 minutes ago, Unknown20 said:

As it stands there are now 13 teams in the ECPL would there be any more added from league below? 

Don't think so, unless clubs apply

36 minutes ago, MattP said:

The danger is that ECPL could vanish. For me, many clubs will either slip back to Duchy Premier level or take the plunge at Step 7. I see a lot of casualties after the first season where travel costs kick in for a county-wide league.

Don't think ECPL will disappear, but may have just the one division. A lot can happen in the next 12 months, let's wait and see 

57 minutes ago, hedgerow said:

Don't think so, unless clubs apply

Don't think ECPL will disappear, but may have just the one division. A lot can happen in the next 12 months, let's wait and see 

When I say vanish I mean in terms of quality. I think one division is almost a certainty.