Cornwall Football Forum

Promotions / Relegations

It's all down to the AGM. The standard promotion/relegation is two up and two down.

The Premier Division will promote Lizard Argyle and Wendron Reserves to Combination. Illogan Reserves, Goonhavern and Holman's drop down . The bottom two of the Premier Division drop into division one, Mousehole and Penwith step up. Because Chacewater withdrew however, only one team will be relegated from the Prem

I've made a few drafts for this coming season which will depend on what happens at the AGM. We have a total of five teams wanting to join the league. If they are accepted, the divisions will shift slightly. 

Premier Division will remain unchanged if they do fold - I've personally not heard about that. 

The main movement will be seen in divisions two, three and four. We won't know exactly who are in these divisions until the AGM - that is the last day that teams can affiliate with the league.

The league structure has provisionally been drafted, however it all depends on the teams joining (whether they get accepted) and any that fold. If all of the teams that have applied are successful, I know of one team that will be folding as a result (club re-branding).

43 minutes ago, B_D said:

Premier Division will remain unchanged if they do fold - I've personally not heard about that. 

The main movement will be seen in divisions two, three and four. We won't know exactly who are in these divisions until the AGM - that is the last day that teams can affiliate with the league.

The league structure has provisionally been drafted, however it all depends on the teams joining (whether they get accepted) and any that fold. If all of the teams that have applied are successful, I know of one team that will be folding as a result (club re-branding).

Think I've read it some where so sorry but when is the AGM (the date teams will know) 

Thanks 

2 hours ago, JTW said:

Surely Goonhavern would fold their 3rd team if any and keep a side in the top tier of the Trelawney, with their Reserves then likely to be in Div 1.

Correct (hence premier unchanged) - I am away at the moment with work so I'm a bit out of the loop. It's not something we have heard about though so I won't speculate 

I worked out that if its two up two down with teams folding taking out relegation, with teams from lower divisions filling those spots meaning more promotions, two down from combo be that holmans and goonhavern or illogan without any further teams folding it would be as follows:

Combo: Relegated; Holmans, Goonhavern or Illogan depending on that outcome.

Prem 14 teams: Promoted; Lizard & Wendron. Relegated; St Keverne

Div 1 14 teams: Promoted; Mousehole Res & Penwith Exiles. Relegated; N/A.

Div 2 14 teams: Promoted; Newlyn Lions, Probus, Goonhavern Res & Wendron 3rds. Relegated; Storm

Div 3 15 teams: Promoted; New Inn Titans, Ruan Minor, West Cornwall Res, Falmouth DC, St Ives Mariners & Ludgvan Res. Relegated; Newlyn Non-Athletico Res & Carharrack Res

Div 4 13-15 teams: Promoted; Praze, Penzance Res, Perranwell, Mousehole 3rds, Wendron 4ths, Troon Res & Lizard(depending on dropping div 3 to 14 aswell) then leaving room for 5-7 teams.

So as close as possible thats what it could be depending on any other outcomes i.e teams folding, 3 down from combo etc

1 hour ago, AJ715 said:

I worked out that if its two up two down with teams folding taking out relegation, with teams from lower divisions filling those spots meaning more promotions, two down from combo be that holmans and goonhavern or illogan without any further teams folding it would be as follows:

Combo: Relegated; Holmans, Goonhavern or Illogan depending on that outcome.

Prem 14 teams: Promoted; Lizard & Wendron. Relegated; St Keverne

Div 1 14 teams: Promoted; Mousehole Res & Penwith Exiles. Relegated; N/A.

Div 2 14 teams: Promoted; Newlyn Lions, Probus, Goonhavern Res & Wendron 3rds. Relegated; Storm

Div 3 15 teams: Promoted; New Inn Titans, Ruan Minor, West Cornwall Res, Falmouth DC, St Ives Mariners & Ludgvan Res. Relegated; Newlyn Non-Athletico Res & Carharrack Res

Div 4 13-15 teams: Promoted; Praze, Penzance Res, Perranwell, Mousehole 3rds, Wendron 4ths, Troon Res & Lizard(depending on dropping div 3 to 14 aswell) then leaving room for 5-7 teams.

So as close as possible thats what it could be depending on any other outcomes i.e teams folding, 3 down from combo etc

You're not far off - there will be 15 in Prem. Wendron and lizard up to combo, Gonnhavern, Illogan and Holman's down into Prem. St Keverne relegated and replace by Penwith and Mousehole respectively.

At this time, I know of five teams wanting to join the league. I hope they all get in personally. All have good reasons for wanting to join the league and it will have very little effect on the other teams in the league - although one team will be withdrawn if one of these team successfully joins the league. That won't affect anyone directly (I won't say too much as I'm not sure if the team/club want this public yet).

10 hours ago, AR Rover said:

6 going up from leagues. ???? 3/4 teams at best. Creeping into mid table sides going up

Unfortunately when clubs/teams fold in the higher divisions, we have little choice but to move more up. We’ve lost teams in the top three divisions this season, those gaps have to be filled. Unfortunately that means the mid table teams in the lower leagues may be promoted. There’s no other option.

if we had a season where no teams folded, the standard two up-two down scenario which we are used to would occur.

Your killing division 3 & 4 if you promote 6.

3 hours ago, B_D said:

Unfortunately when clubs/teams fold in the higher divisions, we have little choice but to move more up. We’ve lost teams in the top three divisions this season, those gaps have to be filled. Unfortunately that means the mid table teams in the lower leagues may be promoted. There’s no other option.

if we had a season where no teams folded, the standard two up-two down scenario which we are used to would occur.

Your killing Division 3 & 4 promoting 6 teams some would be happy to stay in there leagues having finished mid table

3 hours ago, AR Rover said:

Your killing Division 3 & 4 promoting 6 teams some would be happy to stay in there leagues having finished mid table

If they didn’t promote people would moan that some divisions don’t have enough teams in. The league can’t win!

10 hours ago, AR Rover said:

What else can we do? Do you want divisions of 10-11 teams? Uneven divisions? Shall we just let the new teams [that want to join the league] into the higher divisions?

We have to operate within the FA ruling and our own ruling. That means promoting teams to fill the gaps. It is not the League that is killing the divisions - it is the player's who are leaving the game that are killing not just these divisions, but grassroots football across the country. Teams fold because they don't have enough players - how can we help that?

It is all well and good for people to criticise the League, but what else can we do? Personally, I am doing all I can to get people playing again. I run the Trelawny Flexi-League which is based wholly on getting people playing football. I've been advertising for over two months now - guess how many teams I have in the League at the moment... Two! No-one wants to play football anymore!

I am hoping that this world cup reinvigorates passion within grassroots football and inspires these lads (and ladies) to don their football boots and start playing again.

If you have any suggestion on how we can improve things and get people playing again, please do let me know because I'm beginning to run out of ideas. 

43 minutes ago, B_D said:

What else can we do? Do you want divisions of 10-11 teams? Uneven divisions? Shall we just let the new teams [that want to join the league] into the higher divisions?

We have to operate within the FA ruling and our own ruling. That means promoting teams to fill the gaps. It is not the League that is killing the divisions - it is the player's who are leaving the game that are killing not just these divisions, but grassroots football across the country. Teams fold because they don't have enough players - how can we help that?

It is all well and good for people to criticise the League, but what else can we do? Personally, I am doing all I can to get people playing again. I run the Trelawny Flexi-League which is based wholly on getting people playing football. I've been advertising for over two months now - guess how many teams I have in the League at the moment... Two! No-one wants to play football anymore!

I am hoping that this world cup reinvigorates passion within grassroots football and inspires these lads (and ladies) to don their football boots and start playing again.

If you have any suggestion on how we can improve things and get people playing again, please do let me know because I'm beginning to run out of ideas. 

Dave you guys are doing a great job in this area and couldn't disagree more with the fact your killing the leagues!  

A lot of teams stay in div 4 and div 3 for years due to the fact new teams starting with great squads and high ambition will march straight through. New inn, Ruan, Newlyn, Probus. Exiles, all are currently on a streak of promotions similar to what mabe and marazion did. Promoting a few extra and stabilizing the leagues is not a bad thing at all.

I think its good for other teams to get a chance as it leaves the rest of the leagues playing the same teams every year.

Also didn't help that Div 3 was the biggest league this season with 15 teams.

4 hours ago, paulo bestiniho said:

Dave you guys are doing a great job in this area and couldn't disagree more with the fact your killing the leagues!  

A lot of teams stay in div 4 and div 3 for years due to the fact new teams starting with great squads and high ambition will march straight through. New inn, Ruan, Newlyn, Probus. Exiles, all are currently on a streak of promotions similar to what mabe and marazion did. Promoting a few extra and stabilizing the leagues is not a bad thing at all.

I think its good for other teams to get a chance as it leaves the rest of the leagues playing the same teams every year.

Also didn't help that Div 3 was the biggest league this season with 15 teams.

It was a close call with Division 3 this season - only just finishing in time. The Premier Division will be made up of 15 teams - hopefully the other divisions will be 13-14 teams. Much more manageable for the Fixtures Secretary and the Referee Appointments Officer, although 14-teamed divisions still threw up problems last season, primarily due to a shortage of referees and/or pitch availability.

Having Divisions of 13 would be much easier to manage and we could compensate for any bad weather we have. The most important thing for me personally is to not have a situation where we need to cancel the cup games again! For me, that was the nail in the coffin for many of our teams last season. We should be avoiding that at all costs - and we will.

Unfortunately football just isn't as popular as it once was - with work and family taking priority for many. I must admit, I was quite tired and fed up [along with my other half] in the closing two months of last season. I was glad it ended. All I hope now is that all of our players and volunteers are reinvigorated and ready to go for the 2018/19 season.  

Promoting 5-6 teams just isn’t practical.  Think Division 3/4 need to stay as they are. Surely clubs should be consulted some probably aren’t happy to be promoted after coming mid table. Sides will be playing teams 20 places above them in the Trelawney league. Think mainly Division 3 - 4 you may cause teams to fold if promoted. Some are still building and happy to sit mid table.

1 hour ago, AR Rover said:

Promoting 5-6 teams just isn’t practical.  Think Division 3/4 need to stay as they are. Surely clubs should be consulted some probably aren’t happy to be promoted after coming mid table. Sides will be playing teams 20 places above them in the Trelawney league. Think mainly Division 3 - 4 you may cause teams to fold if promoted. Some are still building and happy to sit mid table.

Your looking at it from the bottom up, from the top down you have teams that have been hammered all year but cant get relegated because there are not enough teams in their league with teams folding.

The only way to rectify that is to promote more teams. You currently have teams working up the leagues that are capable of competing in div and the prem. all of us are going to come up against these teams at some point. I think personally you have more chance of a team losing interest if constantly finishing 3rd and not going up because they lose out to the new super teams making there way forward through the leagues than getting promoted in 6th place and playing new teams and a better standard of football.

Can you give any examples of teams that have gone up in 5th/6th and struggled massively and folded?

Personal opinion players should always aspire to play the best they can.

Steve C and myself have drafted a few league structures for the clubs to look at and agree on at the AGM. As with all big decision at the AGM, the structure is down to the clubs to decide. We will give them our recommendations but they have to accept what they want. With promotion, it's difficult because we have to balance out the numbers across the divisions. We can't help that. As I stated before, if a club or two fold in the higher divisions, the gaps need to be filled to keep the divisions at a decent scale (13-14 per division). Any less and people will lose interest with regular stop and starts. Any more and it can pose a problem (weather, pitch/player availability).

We just need some stability. 

I dont think teams going up from 5th or 6th causes a massive problem in teams folding each year i believe it is more down to the lack of interest for the youngsters these day having so many more options than just football and many would prefer to just play there computer games. Back when i 1st started i couldn't wait to get playing for a team, nowadays you just dont see that same desire from youngsters. As the older players give up there football due to other commitments you see more and more teams fold and some of these are established clubs that have been around for years!

50 minutes ago, AJ715 said:

I dont think teams going up from 5th or 6th causes a massive problem in teams folding each year i believe it is more down to the lack of interest for the youngsters these day having so many more options than just football and many would prefer to just play there computer games. Back when i 1st started i couldn't wait to get playing for a team, nowadays you just dont see that same desire from youngsters. As the older players give up there football due to other commitments you see more and more teams fold and some of these are established clubs that have been around for years!

Your right there - But the biggest drop we see each season is actually the 30-34 year olds. That is where we are losing players. We actually recruit a good amount of youngsters each season. 

Why don’t division 3 and 4 teams (and any new/reformed teams get asked where they want to play?

as previously mentioned there are some teams being reformed who will be too good for Div 4, so why not allow them to start in div 3 and let other teams in div 4 stay where they are comfortable.

priority should go to Div 3, then Div 4 and then new/reformed teams as to where they feel comfortable to play.

Think Prem league should be our biggest league as any teams going upto combo has played a longer season. Combo has 20 teams. 

18 hours ago, paulo bestiniho said:

Your looking at it from the bottom up, from the top down you have teams that have been hammered all year but cant get relegated because there are not enough teams in their league with teams folding.

The only way to rectify that is to promote more teams. You currently have teams working up the leagues that are capable of competing in div and the prem. all of us are going to come up against these teams at some point. I think personally you have more chance of a team losing interest if constantly finishing 3rd and not going up because they lose out to the new super teams making there way forward through the leagues than getting promoted in 6th place and playing new teams and a better standard of football.

Can you give any examples of teams that have gone up in 5th/6th and struggled massively and folded?

Personal opinion players should always aspire to play the best they can.

So 5/6 teams are promoted regularly ?

10 minutes ago, AR Rover said:

Think Prem league should be our biggest league as any teams going upto combo has played a longer season. Combo has 20 teams. 

So 5/6 teams are promoted regularly ?

The Combo teams are moaning that 20 is too many and they want a maximum of 16 teams. So 14/15 in prem is adequate to get used to Combo ?

2 hours ago, FootballCornwall said:

The Combo teams are moaning that 20 is too many and they want a maximum of 16 teams. So 14/15 in prem is adequate to get used to Combo ?

Tosh. 

The teams may moan but every time it is put to the clubs to vote on reducing the numbers they vote against it. It is almost like an annual game at the AGM. Moan, vote, live with 20 sides for another season. The reason it never passes is like asking turkeys to vote for Christmas as their team might be the ones relegated at the end of the following season.

Anyone who attends the AGM can back me on this.

They are going to be FORCED BY THE FA to reduce the number of sides to 16 after the end of next season so it has been taken out of our hands. Most of the reduction should be sides wanting for take promotion up to the Cornwall Intermediate League.

5 hours ago, cornishteddyboy said:

Tosh. 

The teams may moan but every time it is put to the clubs to vote on reducing the numbers they vote against it. It is almost like an annual game at the AGM. Moan, vote, live with 20 sides for another season. The reason it never passes is like asking turkeys to vote for Christmas as their team might be the ones relegated at the end of the following season.

Anyone who attends the AGM can back me on this.

They are going to be FORCED BY THE FA to reduce the number of sides to 16 after the end of next season so it has been taken out of our hands. Most of the reduction should be sides wanting for take promotion up to the Cornwall Intermediate League.

Well the top 6 sides want league reduced ?

On ‎15‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 07:47, B_D said:

Stop admitting more teams!! Every year more teams have been admitted by the league. 

4 hours ago, FootballCornwall said:

Well the top 6 sides want league reduced ?

And your proof? The odd player or officials from each of the clubs?

At the last vote it was something like 16-4. Did all of those 4 sides finish in the top six?

Anyway this year we won't need to vote but I will tell the rest of the committee your concerns.

12 hours ago, B_D said:

We can't stop teams applying to join the league. The clubs vote them in, not the league. 

12 hours ago, B_D said:

We can't stop teams applying to join the league. The clubs vote them in, not the league. 

Something has to be done to stop this ridiculous season on season promotion of half of a lower league and no relegation for others. It makes the whole league look very unprofessional and certainly de-values winning any league. Not blaming the league officers but surely rule amendments can be introduced even if it is for just a period of time perhaps. Perhaps making entry into the league almost impossible with strong criterior? 

We can't discriminate just because it puts people's nasal passages out of joint. We give everyone a chance - it's the clubs that make the decisions.

What we need is a season where teams don't fold. We've had a number of teams fold in the top three divisions, that has an affect on the lower divisions. Mid-table promotions can not be helped until a time where stability among our clubs becomes a thing. We need to prevent teams from folding. We are doing our best.

Statistically, new teams joining the league have very little to do with the withdrawals. The problem lies with players become disinterested.

This can be backed up with facts. Look at the new teams wanting to join us this season:

1. Chacewater - over half of their players last season did not register with another club.

2. Another team was an under 16 team from last season taking a step into junior football.

3. Another team is again a youth team joining men's football.

4. Another is a team wanting to re-brand 

5. Another team is one that wants to join us from a different league

6. The last one is a Sunday side that wants to join (it's a well known fact that TMS Reserves were rejected last season. Hopefully they make it this time around).

These new teams should not effect the teams around them. Why should they be penalised?

It's all well and good for people to say "stop entering new teams" when they only know half of the facts. Just my opinion, of course.

5 hours ago, B_D said:

We can't discriminate just because it puts people's nasal passages out of joint. We give everyone a chance - it's the clubs that make the decisions.

What we need is a season where teams don't fold. We've had a number of teams fold in the top three divisions, that has an affect on the lower divisions. Mid-table promotions can not be helped until a time where stability among our clubs becomes a thing. We need to prevent teams from folding. We are doing our best.

Statistically, new teams joining the league have very little to do with the withdrawals. The problem lies with players become disinterested.

This can be backed up with facts. Look at the new teams wanting to join us this season:

1. Chacewater - over half of their players last season did not register with another club.

2. Another team was an under 16 team from last season taking a step into junior football.

3. Another team is again a youth team joining men's football.

4. Another is a team wanting to re-brand 

5. Another team is one that wants to join us from a different league

6. The last one is a Sunday side that wants to join (it's a well known fact that TMS Reserves were rejected last season. Hopefully they make it this time around).

These new teams should not effect the teams around them. Why should they be penalised?

It's all well and good for people to say "stop entering new teams" when they only know half of the facts. Just my opinion, of course.

Fair enough. So lets put it another way. What is the league doing to help/prevent clubs from struggling and ultimately some folding? 

Looking at your bullet points - team from re-branding? Youth team wanting to join? Time and time again we hear of youth teams moving around the county en bloc because the manager plays the pied piper. Surely this youth team has a junior team in their area that they could join to bolster their numbers? I know you cant force people to play but when is the mentality of only play for a particular manager instead of a club going to stop? Maybe more preliminary enquiries need to be made when an application is made? I promise you I am not having a pop at you B.D or the league 

We can't magic up players and volunteers, which is why these teams are folding. As a league, we are working with clubs to help secure funding, to set up committees to provide some stability and help all we can with stiff such as administration etc. We are extremely limited to what we can do. I work closely with Scooby and the CFA when I hear a club is struggling - what you don't hear very often is how many clubs we actually save with our intervention. That's because we don't want to make a song and dance about it. 

One of the youth teams in questions has no senior (open aged) teams at the club, this will be the first of their men's team. They have a very good youth system and are obviously looking to expand. Why train up so many youngsters over a number of years only for them to go and play for another club? It's a no brainer.

With regards to playing for a particular manager, I was the same. I played under the same manager for four season before I signed on for Wendron. It's about friend circles more than anything.

I know you're not having a pop at me or the league - I just don't want people getting the impression that we are sitting on our arse letting teams fold. When Chacewater, Trispen, Mabe and Marazion folded last season, we tried getting these teams into out Flexi league just so they kept playing and didn't fold as a club. There's alot that myself and scooby try and do in the background to prevent teams from collapsing. The only thing is, we can only help the teams that want it, ask for it and are willing to work hard to survive.

I personally joined the committee to bring a change to the league. Unfortunately things can't change overnight, however much I really want them too. We will see a plateau soon and hopefully things will get better. It takes time though. We just need some stability.

Maybe you should publicise the pro-active work you do? I see Chacewater are looking to re-apply again this year. Nothing against them but who is to say that they wont last more than a season All too easy to start up and then just drop out again it seems. Maybe a bond could be introduced repayable over a few years to the club? It is a tricky situation but the plateau you want may be a long way off. Keep up the good work tho.

12 minutes ago, le boss said:

Maybe you should publicise the pro-active work you do? I see Chacewater are looking to re-apply again this year. Nothing against them but who is to say that they wont last more than a season All too easy to start up and then just drop out again it seems. Maybe a bond could be introduced repayable over a few years to the club? It is a tricky situation but the plateau you want may be a long way off. Keep up the good work tho.

By publicising what we are doing for clubs, I don’t want it to look as if we are after plaudits and pats on the back. As a league, we should be doing all we can to help our clubs, particularly during such trying times like we are experiencing at the moment. We don’t want the recognition (I particularly don’t want it to look like I’m saying “ooo look at me, look what I’m doing” etc. If the clubs appreciate what we are doing for them, they are the ones that should be publicising it, should they wish to let people know how we are helping them. Hopefully that makes sense?

Chacewater were let down by their players last season. I’m of the understanding that they have recruited players who they feel would be the best for their club. A club with such history and with the committee and hard working volunteers within their ranks surely deserve another chance.

Bd there is no easy fix for teams folding  , and it will level out eventually  from my playing days in the old west penwith league  the only teams left are in no order are St,Buryan , St.just , Ludgvan St, Ives and recently Penzance reserves , mousehole and Pendeen , Madron  .  And this was from two leagues , which those in the Amor shield were either a reserve side or third team .  Is interest fading yes , volunteers  are either getting older or get fed up being taken for granted , work new sports and families are making demands on people , there are plenty of reasons  for lack of interest  in the modern game . Us old boys  wouldn't take a weekend off for a stag do  and most got married in the off season , Xmas shopping  on a match day....whats that about , society has changed  there is less money about employers don't pay for time off through a sports injury   more self employed . Hats off to all that are involved at any level of local football  , it isnt easy , been there done that got the T shirt   , it would be great  if it picked up but sadly in my own personal opinion it will get worse before it levels out . It is just not football , Rugby , cricket Darts and snooker teams are folding  even euchre teams . 

58 minutes ago, Simon2389 said:

7 up from Div 4... if that happens it's ridiculous 

Okay so what alternatives  is there ,   it is very easy to criticise  on a forum , but I don't  see many putting their hands up to take positions  on the league committee  ,  , The club's  are the league but in uncertain times were football is concerned descions  have to be made  some are not always favourable , with the new league coming in the 2019 season with some combo teams joining a new Cornwall league , there will be a lot of comings and goings over the next couple of years  , in my opinion  it will probable take 3 to 5 seasons to settle down .

23 minutes ago, Simon2389 said:

Don't let so many join? Seems ridiculous that Pz and Perranwell fought it out to near enough the last game for second to now find out the Lizard, who finished 6th/7th will get promoted too. Surely promotion should be earned? That's all I'm saying 

BD.....to answer Simon2389 statement, what would the coming season look like with numbers in each league if we stuck to normal promotion and relegation?

probably small numbers in some leagues and people would then moan about not playing each week!!!

you have to have enough teams per league  to be sensible, which is why Div 4 usually sees the biggest variance.

On 16/06/2018 at 20:25, le boss said:

Stop admitting more teams!! Every year more teams have been admitted by the league. 

Why do people always mention this stupid thing! Just a load of crap. A new team can be just that. It's not always a case of players from one club forming another which does sometimes happen. A new club is normally a breath of fresh air.

Presumably no one wants to go back to Chacewater if you take that stance.

At St Erme we found ourselves getting promoted from 6th a couple of seasons back and yes wasn't ideal nor is it a choice ideally we would've taken, and although divison 3 is a tough league to be in we've enjoyed playing against decent sides week in and week out.

The last two season have been very tough don't get me wrong and this season we really struggled and thought we would be going down but a run of being unbeaten in 5 at the end of the season and some teams losing points has seen us stay in the league and we were delighted with the fact that we stayed up.

If you want to progress as a club and a player then getting promoted when you least expect sometimes can work in your favour as you have to up your game rather than stay in the comfort zone, so my advice is what will be will be and just embrace change - the leagues are definitely balancing up after a few seasons and things take time.

As long as we all have a team to play come a Saturday afternoon then I think most of us will be delighted...……..it sure as hell beats shopping and doing house chores! ?

9 minutes ago, jolzy10 said:

At St Erme we found ourselves getting promoted from 6th a couple of seasons back and yes wasn't ideal nor is it a choice ideally we would've taken, and although divison 3 is a tough league to be in we've enjoyed playing against decent sides week in and week out.

You stay where you are. Pz will visit you next season, one of only two Trelawny grounds I have not watched a match, the other being Frogpool.