Cornwall Football Forum

TRURO POTENTIAL GROUND SHARE WITH PIRATES

Guest john

JUST READ FRONT PAGE OF THE WEST BRITON. MR HEENEY WANTS TO GROUND SHARE WITH THE CORNISH PIRATES. THE PLANS ARE TO BUILD A 16000 CAPACITIY GROUND AT THREEMILESTONE.

WHAT IS EVERYONES OPINIONS ON THE PLANS? WILL THEY BE SHARING THE PITCH! WOULD IT BE UP TO THE TASK OF FOOTBALL ONE WEEK AND RUGBY THE NEXT? WILL THEY FILL THE GROUND? I.E WILL THEY HAVE 16000 HOME SUPPORTERS IN THE NEXT FIVE YEARS? WILL THERE BE FIXTURE CLASH? I THOUGHT THIS WOULD BE A GOOD TOPIC, LETS HAVE SENSIBLE COMMENTS ONLY PLEASE!

Moving off at a slight angent.

A scenario next season where Truro City firsts and seconds are promoted,the thirds presumably will take their place in the Combination League(though not sure if they need to get promoted from the Falmouth Helston League first) but will Truro have facilities for three Senior teams and where?

Perhaps the Combo team will ground share with another club? Probus? Goonhavern?

Leicester City and Tigers very nearly had a ground share 2 seasons ago but internal politics between the 2 clubs went against it. I think QPR,Reading and Watford have all shared grounds with Rugby teams so it can work. ;0) :D

A lot of Rugby clubs share with football clubs and as the pitch is owned by the football club will play their match opposite the football club. E.g. If Reading are playing home on a Saturday and London Irish are fixtured home then London Irish will play on the Sunday.

What if the bottom club of the SWPL West chooses to go ECPL and not JCCL??? If the SWPL premier team get relegates two teams from the east the can re allign a middle team (plymouth area) however this isnt possible with JCCL and ECPL. So in theory Truro could be looking at moving up with no one dropping down from SWPL.

A football and rugby team should never share the same ground purely to save the state of the pitch. Just look at the Wembley pitch after 1 game of American football what a state that turned out to be. And that pitch only gets used once a month on average. With Truro having at least 2 teams playing on the pitch and the Pirates having at least 1 team the pitch would just be wrecked and fit for farm animals. Thus having an effect on the standard of football that both clubs are trying to promote.

Could this story just be something to keep the respective clubs in the news. I am not sure how it could work because for a start who would own the ground. Who would have first choice etc. Because rugby is a handling game a pitch can be ruined with just one rugby match being played on a very muddy pitch. I have never liked the idea of groundsharing between Rugby and Football. You only have to look at Edgeley Park where the pitch is a disgrace with owners Stockport County having to play on a shocker because of the state of the ground being left after Sale rugby play on it.

This get together was quashed a year or so ago so I can't see it being a goer.

If both clubs want to progress, its the only way in my opinion. Be more beneficial to the Rugby though. Pirates could command a crowd of 15,000 or somewhere near that on a regular basis if they got to the premiership because they would be playing top class rugby.

Truro need it, because they can't get anywhere else, but in my honest opinion, I could see Truro being there a couple of years, and then pulling out because they might not be progressing on the field.

Looking at cornishteddyboys earlier post. Was it such a good idea for Wendron to take a combo place when their Falmouth Helston team finished middle of div 1? It has had a very big effect on the club as they are now near the bottom (or on the bottom) of their respective leagues. This does not entice players to the club, infact it does the opposite.

This was on the front page of the Cornishman ©. Read the bit I've highlighted in red.

The Cornish Pirates could join forces with the equally ambitious Truro City Football Club to develop a brand new stadium at Truro.That was the suggestion put forward by Pirates' president and chief backer Dickie Evans last week in an open letter to members of the Pirates.

The matter will be discussed at a meeting at St John's Hall on January 14 when, Mr Evans said, members will have a 'stark choice' to make.

In short, they will have to decide whether the Cornish Pirates link-up with Truro City chairman Kevin Heaney to provide a custom-built stadium in Truro or return to the Mennaye.

If the first route is chosen, members would also be asked to consider Kevin Heaney becoming part-owner and director of Penzance & Newlyn Rugby Ltd and the Cornish Pirates.

In recent seasons, the Cornish Pirates have cemented their position in the upper echelons of National League One and are current EDF Energy Trophy holders while Mr Heaney has made no secret of his aim to take City, the current FA Vase holders, into the Football League.

But Mr Evans said that if the Cornish Pirates are truly ambitious about progressing into the Premiership, there is no alternative to forming a link with Truro City.

"The move, initially to Kenwyn, followed by Camborne has ensured our following has increased substantially with turnover up by £500,000 through gates and sponsorship increases," he said.

"However the shortfall in funding, which has been met by me to date, remains extensive and increases annually as squads in National One become more expensive with higher costs and as better players are involved.

"For stadia we have explored many avenues in the last 36 months but the stadium issue is an enormous problem.

"Our crowds at both Kenwyn and Camborne have far exceeded on numerous occasions anything the currently de-regulated capacity at the Mennaye could reasonably be expected to accommodate and the move away from Penzance to test the waters has proved a great success in support terms.

"There is no guarantee of premier rugby and never has been. You have to earn promotion on the field first and we haven't done that whether we had the facilities or not."

Mr Evans said that the situation as regards the Westholme clubhouse would also be discussed at the St John's Hall meeting.

"We have received a decent offer (for Westholme) from a developer, which would enable us to build a new clubhouse at the ground as previously envisaged," he added, although there were ongoing problems negotiating a new lease on the ground with Penwith District Council.

* Comments from supporters on the Cornish Pirates' Fans Forum were very much in favour of the proposals with the vast majority of those writing in giving at least conditional approval for the scheme.

I would'nt have thought rugby players care about the lenght of the grass.

It seems to me truro and the pirates are just trying to join forces to save the cost of the building process between the respective clubs money men all this is just a pipe dream at the moment problems concerning the pitch will be ironed out if or when they get the go ahead from the council like I have already said it would be a good thing for cornwall to get a top class stadium and I for one hope that it happens.

I agree with what you're saying r and l but there's more than one Truro team to consider. As well as the mens football they've also got ladies, girls and boys to incorporate. Sounds like more than a one-pitch job to me (which would also solve the problem of the grass length :))

some good comments here. i expect there would be training pitches by the ground that the reserves would play on e.t.c and if the pitch is dry and going to get cut up then reserves, ladies would go on main pitch. i think it could be solved in the way wendron do it. they have two or three pitches for all teams.

it would be a major job for the groundsmen who have to maintain a football and rugby pitch in one.

i dont think it would be too bad for rugby but would more affect the quality of football if the pitch is poor.

This is a very old and very odd story going back at least a couple of years and pops up every so often. When it was first mentioned it would appear that neither side was to keen because of one main point. WHO WAS GOING TO RUN THE STADIUM It now seems that Mr Heaney has offered to basically own the Pirates so it would be in his hands.

I can see it all ending in tears and that would be a tragic shame for both clubs especially if Mr Heaney has a very large finger in both camps.