Cornwall Football Forum

A Devon side’s view on the restructuring

A post on the SWPL Forum :-

I rarely write on this forum but after last night feel the need too. As someone who over the past couple of years has struggled to keep going at a club i have volunteered at for 25yrs i came away feeling very angry and disillusioned with the way that step 7 clubs are being proposed to be cast aside from the peninsula league and put into what feels (rightly or wrongly ) another d&e league.

I found a certain member of the FA that came to the meeting very obnoxious and not approachable, who even at one stage came out  with a comment of “so you dont want a step 7 league obviously”. Well to me Mr FA you were out of order.we already have a successful 2 division step 7 league which works in my opinion.

It seems to me all they want is the 2 step 6 leagues, in which you can be promoted almost regardless of your playing ability and then still not have to take promotion into step 5 if you dont want too. Therefore being exactly the same as it is now.

We have been involved in this very well run league since the beginning and in the devon league before, probably around 20 yrs. I feel totally cast aside and let down by the whole idea. Typical FA UNTHOUGHT OUT NONSENSE. All we kept hearing was in the north this ,in kent that. Well as usual they forgetting the big picture here in the south west. No money for any grass roots or as he called the local football RECREATIONAL leagues.

I agree with most of what you say Dave. Certainly there was a lack of knowledge re the areas football and indeed the geography and distances in the two counties. The 'certain member' of the FA even got his facts totally wrong on the issue of promotion from step 6 to step 5. He stated that the Devon side of step 6 would have mandatory  promotion to step 5 whereas the Cornwall step 6 would have the choice. This caused some uproar within the meeting until the other FA chap told him that wasn't right. It was from step 5 that there would be mandatory promotion and if a club didn't take it, they would be relegated - wait to see that. Also there was a disagreement between the FA people and Phil Hiscox over the time limit for step 7 clubs to reach the appropriate grade, the FA were saying three years, when Phil reminded them that the agreement was two years. There were about two hours of questions and answers and lively at times.

If you go to Tiverton meeting tonight with the same FA people, ask how all these winners of step 6 are going to fit into step 5.

Just now, Home Waters said:

I agree with most of what you say Dave.

I didn’t say it - came a current SWPL D1E club representative!

2 minutes ago, Home Waters said:

There were about two hours of questions and answers and lively at times.

Glad to hear there was debate.

The more i think about it the more I think we should stick to what we have and make sure the West division has full amount of sides and make it work. Disappinting that we have clubs refusing promotion to our own top division and wanting to drop out. That needs to stop. 

Simple solution - Every club in pyramid has mandatory promotion. Travel costs are subsidised by fa. This is the system in rugby. 

This would then allow for a step 5 league in the far southwest, as western league covers far too big an area compared to many of its equivalents. Was travel subsidy brought up?

Agree with you say Rob regarding travel subsidies, but perhaps some clubs should help themselves first. For example, I have heard of a leading Cornish club(that I will not name) offering over £100 a game to a player they are looking to bring into the squad. A few more like this in their team, and that is the cost of a minibus/small coach for travel to away fixtures in the Bristol/Somerset area. 

Totally agree with you Way of the Park. Lots of step 5 clubs up country don’t even have a playing budget. Clubs should go up and reduce playing budgets to cover travel costs. Play youngsters if you have to. Would still like to see Fa do more for clubs in isolated regions though.

2 hours ago, Way Of The Park said:

Agree with you say Rob regarding travel subsidies, but perhaps some clubs should help themselves first. For example, I have heard of a leading Cornish club(that I will not name) offering over £100 a game to a player they are looking to bring into the squad. A few more like this in their team, and that is the cost of a minibus/small coach for travel to away fixtures in the Bristol/Somerset area. 

Well said.