Cornwall Football Forum

My view of the restructure proposal, if it was to come in now!

I'm really surprised there has been no comments raised on a post on a different sub-forum as a result of the FA restructure proposal meeting that was held at Truro College a couple of weeks ago! Or perhaps I shouldn't be surprised as although there were a number who attended, there probably wasn't that many different clubs represented.

Having been to the meeting, I’ve tried to draw up how I understand things would be IF the restructure was to come in this summer based on where teams have finished in season 2017-18.

As we all know however, it doesn’t come in for real for another 12 months yet!

There will be two SWPL controlled Step 6 leagues – one for Cornwall and the other for Devon. At the meeting, the FA said that the Tamar border would be a ‘hard’ dividing line and the “Cornwall” entitled league would be as it says!

So, based on the final 2017-18 tables, the “Cornwall”Step 6 SWPL league would consist of the following: -

AFC St Austell

Bodmin Town

Callington Town

Camelford

Falmouth Town

Godolphin Atlantic

Helston Athletic

Launceston

Millbrook

Newquay

Saltash United

Sticker

Torpoint Athletic

(13)

The other 7 would come from the 11 Cornwall Div 1 West sides, so let’s say, based on the clubs having to have Step 6 facilities that would allow the likes of ………..

Liskeard Athletic

Penzance

Porthleven

St Blazey

Wadebridge,

(5)

then plus two others from Bude, Dobwalls Ludgvan, Mousehole, St Dennis, Wendron

We then turn to the new Cornwall based Step 7 League (yet to be decided who will be the individual administrators, but to be overseen by the Cornwall FA)

There will be four from the SWPL and say 6 from each of the CCL and ECPL to make up the 16 sides:-

SWPL surplus

(4)

Then say, again based on this season’s final placings

Perranporth

Falmouth Tn Reserves

Carharrack

St Day

Hayle

Helston Athletic Reserves (6 CCL)

Torpoint Athletic Reserves

AFC St Austell Reserves

Saltash United Reserves

Polperro

Launceston Reserves

Callington Town Reserves (6 ECPL).

So what happens to the surplus CCL & ECPL sides?

Namely from the CCL - Perranwell, Pendeen Rovers, Penryn Ath, Porthleven Reserves, St Just, St Agnes, St Ives Town, Mullion, Illogan RBL, West Cornwall, RNAS Culdrose, Redruth Utd, Wendron Utd Reserves and Lizard Argyle. That’s 14 Combo teams. Two might face relegation at the end of next season, but there again two would replace them from the Trelawny.

And then the ECPL would have left over

Looe Town, St Stephens Borough, Liskeard Athletic Reserves, Pensilva, St Blazey Reserves, Wadebridge Town Reserves, Millbrook Reserves, Lanreath, St Minver, Mevagissey, Newquay Reserves, Morwenstow, Padstow United, Roche, St Teath and St Stephen. 16 in total.

So the CCL and ECPL could easily continue, if with less clubs, which by the sounds of it, most people would prefer anyway!  

Apologies if I have missed anyone or added up wrongly or if I have misunderstood the restructure model.

Sounds about right. I can only speak from my knowledge of the ECPL but I can see that weakening the league massively, effectively dropping it back down to Duchy Premier standard if the likes of Torpoint, Saltash, St Austell and Tavi weren’t in it. Also, the step 7 league will involve a huge amount of travelling, cost and commitment from clubs and players to get from one end of the county to the other - I can see there being multiple casualties at the end of the first season when clubs have experienced the demands. 

I very much doubt there will be many Combo sides will want to go up into the new Step 7 League. Only one applied this season. Can you really see clubs down our way wanting to travel all the way to Devon border near Plymouth or Bude. Players just don’t want to travel no more, it takes toll on their families. Just look at what Illogan experienced. Combo is just the right level for village clubs in West Cornwall.

18 minutes ago, Mr Justice said:

I very much doubt there will be many Combo sides will want to go up into the new Step 7 League. Only one applied this season. Can you really see clubs down our way wanting to travel all the way to Devon border near Plymouth or Bude. Players just don’t want to travel no more, it takes toll on their families. Just look at what Illogan experienced. Combo is just the right level for village clubs in West Cornwall.

Completely agree

What would be the make up of the Devon Step 6 ? I imagine this would be a big blow to Tavistock-no longer playing the likes of Callington;Launceston;Saltash;Torpoint;and Bodmin.- all of which were always well supported.

Then say, again based on this season’s final placings

Perranporth

Falmouth Tn Reserves

Carharrack

St Day

Hayle

Helston Athletic Reserves (6 CCL)

Torpoint Athletic Reserves

AFC St Austell Reserves

Saltash United Reserves

Polperro

Launceston Reserves

Callington Town Reserves (6 ECPL).

Just how many of the above will want this cross-county travel ? My guess as 3/4 at most.

10 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

So what happens to the surplus CCL & ECPL sides?

Namely from the CCL - Perranwell, Pendeen Rovers, Penryn Ath, Porthleven Reserves, St Just, St Agnes, St Ives Town, Mullion, Illogan RBL, West Cornwall, RNAS Culdrose, Redruth Utd, Wendron Utd Reserves and Lizard Argyle. That’s 14 Combo teams. Two might face relegation at the end of next season, but there again two would replace them from the Trelawny.

Obvious, no-one relegated from the Combo for one season.

Did they tell you at the meeting, if not enough ECPL and Combo sides want to join the new "Div 1 West" they might go to the Duchy and Trelawny league to ask if Reserve sides of the new SWPL Cornwall or other sides who's grounds will pass the grading?

A couple of key points from memory as I don't have my meeting notes with me.

This is the final part of the process of restructuring of the NLS.  Extra leagues have been created in other steps to give a true pyramid and there has been some regional reorganisation.

Promotion from the Cornwall Step 6 division to Step 5 will not be mandatory but it will be, subject to ground grading of course, from the Devon division. This is a concesson from the FA due to travel/distance.

Reserve sides of Step 6 sides will be allowed to compete in the Step 7 League.  These are the only steps in the NLS where no 2(?) step gap is mandated.

Those clubs who do not meet the ground grading for Step 7 will be allowed to join and will have 3 years to get their grounds up to standard. 70% grants are available to complete the works required.

The CCFA are currently in the process of forming a committee to run the Step 7 league.

3 hours ago, cornishteddyboy said:

Obvious, no-one relegated from the Combo for one season.

Nothing's obvious in local football these days where promotion and relegation concerned! :)

3 hours ago, cornishteddyboy said:

Did they tell you at the meeting, if not enough ECPL and Combo sides want to join the new "Div 1 West" they might go to the Duchy and Trelawny league to ask if Reserve sides of the new SWPL Cornwall or other sides who's grounds will pass the grading?

Can't remember on that one!

However the emphasis from the very beginning was that the reason for doing this is:-

"To help the development of football in the area." 

"If clubs want to move up - they can"

"Mileage is a problem and current travelling required is ridiculous"

"Got to encourage Step 8 to step up"

"Less Step 6 travelling and so this will counteract their reserve sides who might because in  new Step 7 might end up with more travelling."

"CCL & ECPL could stay in existance - at Step 8 level"

"Got to be right for you"

"Trying to get Pyramid of football to help Cornish football"

"Clubs to have ambition"

4 minutes ago, Cornishfootball said:

is the step 7 league still swpl? can the likes of St Austell and Torpoint be in it due to 1st team clubs in the league above? 

No - SWPL just going to be Step 6 - two divisions 

Yes - the two steps gap doesn’t apply 

On 01/06/2018 at 21:50, Dave Deacon said:

At the meeting, the FA said that the Tamar border would be a ‘hard’ dividing line and the “Cornwall” entitled league would be as it says!

It would seem this answer to my question put to Ray Lewis of the FA was a load of rubbish!

At the time I wasn’t so sure! Do I go to the next meeting on Monday and ask the same question to see what reply he gives me? ??