Cornwall Football Forum

New St Austell manager

Can't say I'm impressed by this. If they want to be back challenging for titles I think they need firstly a proven manager who knows what he's doing, and secondly someone who can attract better players from rival clubs.

I see what you're saying but I just think it's slightly risky and very uninspiring for a club that should be challenging for the title. It just doesn't scream success like other managers in the league do.

The Club want to stay (generally) local so this is a good appointment. I don't see a huge list of other suitable candidates!

Been at the club for many years and well liked by everyone, players included. Has cut his teeth at Veryan this season - I know that's a completely different level but everyone has to start somewhere. From what I gather Damo was very keen to have the job and that counts for a lot. He'll also work closely with the excellent 2nd team manager who's helping to bring lots of good youngsters through.

There's no guarantee of success but good luck to him and whoever will be assisting him.

8 hours ago, Hetty said:

Who screams Success in the league that you would want?  

As soon as Hobbs took over at Parkway I felt they would dominate, which they did. He has an aura about him. Gilbert you know will always be successful to an extent, as well as Lafferty. In terms of managers without a club I'd look at someone like Bobby Oaten. Say what you like about the guy but he knows how to assemble a quality team and clearly has lots of good contacts in local football. 

2 hours ago, Zac said:

As soon as Hobbs took over at Parkway I felt they would dominate, which they did. He has an aura about him. Gilbert you know will always be successful to an extent, as well as Lafferty. In terms of managers without a club I'd look at someone like Bobby Oaten. Say what you like about the guy but he knows how to assemble a quality team and clearly has lots of good contacts in local football. 

Anyone with the aledged budget that Parkway had would have an aura about them.

It is a good job for someone to take with a bit ambition and know how, they just need pulling together on and off the field. Look at what has happened at Falmouth last season. Similarly, St Austell were a recently successful club with a decent ground, lots of local players who could be tapped into and a big potential support They just seem to have gone slightly backwards in the last couple of years.With Parkway moving up and Bodmin seemingly in transition, the chance could be there to challenge again.

Would love to see St Austell up challengeing for titles but if that meant getting a so called big name manager who would bring in players from all over the place you can forget it . For a very long time now the club has gone for local players and managers and this season have included a lot of untried youth players . Just hope the majority of the senior players show loyalty and give Damo a chance . One of the nicest blokes in football and I wish him all the best ?

15 hours ago, Zac said:

Wayne hillson won the treble on half the budget Lee hobbs is spending 

On 23/05/2018 at 20:50, Zac said:

My cat could have lead parkway to the title with the players they had, put him in charge of a struggling team to c if he is any good