Cornwall Football Forum

NEWTON ABBOT SPURS NOT TAKING PROMOTION

Following a Committee Meeting held at the Club on Wednesday 2nd May, Newton Abbot Spurs Football Club has made the decision to withdraw their application for promotion to the Premier Division of the South West Peninsula League. 

While clearly ready to make the step up on the pitch, there is more work required behind the scenes both in the way of finances and increasing the number of committee members and volunteers, things that have been worked on since the application was submitted in January but are not yet fully implemented.  

With the proposed re-structure of the league for the 2019/20 season, the club feels it is in its best interests to remain in the East Division for the 2018/19 season, with a view to building a sustainable model that will enable the club to make the move to step 6 and crucially to be competitive at that level.  

The club would like to thank the league officials who put time in to visiting our ground and passing it for Premier Division Football. 

21 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

Following a Committee Meeting held at the Club on Wednesday 2nd May, Newton Abbot Spurs Football Club has made the decision to withdraw their application for promotion to the Premier Division of the South West Peninsula League. 

While clearly ready to make the step up on the pitch, there is more work required behind the scenes both in the way of finances and increasing the number of committee members and volunteers, things that have been worked on since the application was submitted in January but are not yet fully implemented.  

With the proposed re-structure of the league for the 2019/20 season, the club feels it is in its best interests to remain in the East Division for the 2018/19 season, with a view to building a sustainable model that will enable the club to make the move to step 6 and crucially to be competitive at that level.  

The club would like to thank the league officials who put time in to visiting our ground and passing it for Premier Division Football. 

very very wise move from the club in my opinion, cant really see the point in any team from the West or East taking promotion, to travel all over the place for one season, to then automatically go in that league the season after

32 minutes ago, SCFC said:

very very wise move from the club in my opinion, cant really see the point in any team from the West or East taking promotion, to travel all over the place for one season, to then automatically go in that league the season after

Isn’t that double standards though. Clubs, up until this, have been picked on for not taking promotion, now it’s ok?

Sorry another club making a mockery of promotion and relegation!

36 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

Isn’t that double standards though. Clubs, up until this, have been picked on for not taking promotion, now it’s ok?

i think they get "picked on" when they continually win the league on a regular basis & fork out an absolute fortune in matchday wages and then use the excuse of "its too expensive".

The biggest mockery of all is the league doing this reprieving rubbish regarding relegation... finish bottom? no worries you'll still be there next season?

39 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

Without being rude Dave, could the same double standards not be said regarding the lack of SWPL teams not taking promotion? If there's gonna be people arguing that clubs finishing in promotion positions in regards to the West/East leagues not taking promotion, they should also be arguing about the SWPL sides not taking their promotion either!

Shocking that a team, with one game to go, finish bottom, with just 4 points and conceded 158 goals get a reprieve to stay in the league. Obviously they are not good enough. If an east team no longer wants promotion, can’t it be offered to the next highest West div team that wants promotion (with the appropriate ground grading)

Nothing against witheridge, my opinion would be the same whoever finished bottom

1 hour ago, motherwontletmegoargyle said:

With no sideways movement from west to east or vice versa, does that mean,  if Torquay are offered and accept, a place in in league and use Seal Hayne, will it be in the west division?

With Illogan also leaving The West Division  I see Bere Alston (from the Devon border) joining as there are no other Cornish applicants.

With the F A  restricting any movement between The East & West divisions due to the restructure of SW football in 2019-20. numbers in the West Div.could allow    Torquay Utd.Res. to join as the East division is looking healthy  with applicants.

I reckon for its final season as 3 divisions there will be a PREM 20, EAST 20 & WEST 16. League can have 56 clubs max and I think divisions can be no more than 20. Unsure if any rule to say Step 7 at the moment can be more than normal 18 so could be wrong?

7 hours ago, gingerninja said:

Without being rude Dave, could the same double standards not be said regarding the lack of SWPL teams not taking promotion? If there's gonna be people arguing that clubs finishing in promotion positions in regards to the West/East leagues not taking promotion, they should also be arguing about the SWPL sides not taking their promotion either!

Exactly what I meant by double standard. Huge criticism for Premier Division clubs, yet ok for NAS. I don’t get it!

What a load of nonsence. Moving from East or West is nothing like moving up from the Prem to the Western league. If clubs dont take promotion within our 3 leagues what is the point. ? NAS are surly well located for the Prem division anyway.

I see the arguments from both sides, a club should play for promotion but also need to sustain themselves in that said league should they go up.

Witheridge have finished bottom by a fair bit yet dont get relegated. another league structure but I believe Nanpean finished bottom of the ECPL for a few seasons and didnt get relegated in order to keep the league at a healthy number....... surely let Liskeard (or RU/ 3rd in west) come up and stick Witheridge down?

46 minutes ago, Cornishfootball said:

I see the arguments from both sides, a club should play for promotion but also need to sustain themselves in that said league should they go up.

Witheridge have finished bottom by a fair bit yet dont get relegated. another league structure but I believe Nanpean finished bottom of the ECPL for a few seasons and didnt get relegated in order to keep the league at a healthy number....... surely let Liskeard (or RU/ 3rd in west) come up and stick Witheridge down?

The bottom two clubs were saved from relegation by Parkway being promoted and NASpurs not taking promotion from Div 1. That's the way it works according to the rules - which also state that only one club can be promoted from each of the Step 7 leagues.

8 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

Exactly what I meant by double standard. Huge criticism for Premier Division clubs, yet ok for NAS. I don’t get it!

Ah fair enough Dave, misinterpreted your post

7 hours ago, Paul said:

What a load of nonsence. Moving from East or West is nothing like moving up from the Prem to the Western league. If clubs dont take promotion within our 3 leagues what is the point. ? NAS are surly well located for the Prem division anyway.

The more teams that go up, the easier it'll be to sustain themselves. Too many clubs like being the big fish in a small pond. It's a real shame

I' like to see the playoffs in the East and West divisions. 2nd and 3rd play off in each. Highest place has home advantage. Winners play off on a neutral ground. Might spice up the leagues and move clubs around a bit more. 

Perhaps it's in the rules that if there aren't sufficient teams to go up then the bottom one or two teams will stay where they are. Millbrook replacing Parkway leaves 20 teams in the Premier Division.

If Withy or Cally were struggling for sufficient players then I suppose they could take relegation and unbalance the number of teams.

10 hours ago, Fanfare said:

Perhaps it's in the rules that if there aren't sufficient teams to go up then the bottom one or two teams will stay where they are. Millbrook replacing Parkway leaves 20 teams in the Premier Division.

If Withy or Cally were struggling for sufficient players then I suppose they could take relegation and unbalance the number of teams.

there are sufficient teams to go up. Liskeard and mousehole would take promotion. Its because only 1 goes up from east and west but that rul should be changed if there are insufficient team numbers to go up from a league. Crap rule stopping teams that want to play and could play in the prem. withy are obviously not good enough

Wasnt it 12 clubs that wanted promotion originally (3 East & 9 West)?

Now only 1 goes up due to another member club leaving the league.

Understand only a max of 2 from the 12 could have been promoted but with all thats happened it doesn't sit right on how it panned out.

Thems the rules though no matter how much it frustrates!

4 hours ago, Cornishfootball said:

there are sufficient teams to go up. Liskeard and mousehole would take promotion. Its because only 1 goes up from east and west but that rul should be changed if there are insufficient team numbers to go up from a league. Crap rule stopping teams that want to play and could play in the prem. withy are obviously not good enough

If a club wants to propose a rule change, maybe this could happen.

On 13/05/2018 at 15:12, Fanfare said:

If a club wants to propose a rule change, maybe this could happen.

All clubs were aware of the promotion/relegation rules when they applied so there can be no complaints. It's too late to change the rules now and with the proposed reorganisation for 2019/20 season, the situation could well change in the future.

2 hours ago, John Mead said:

All clubs were aware of the promotion/relegation rules when they applied so there can be no complaints. It's too late to change the rules now and with the proposed reorganisation for 2019/20 season, the situation could well change in the future.

A typical swpl answer !

On 13/05/2018 at 14:03, Nick Pope said:

Wasnt it 12 clubs that wanted promotion originally (3 East & 9 West)?

Now only 1 goes up due to another member club leaving the league.

Understand only a max of 2 from the 12 could have been promoted but with all thats happened it doesn't sit right on how it panned out.

Thems the rules though no matter how much it frustrates!

Have a lot more sympathy for yourself and Elburton Villa in this (than Liskeard and Mousehole), not only did Elburton finish in the next promotion spot but also in another year, when relegated you could have dropped into the East and now been promoted again. 

All seems a little unfair - but with the composition changes coming in next season (2019/20) - will probably even itself out?